Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

I find it weird that this move has implications for VGC when we know mythicals are not allowed. Maybe other grass types can learn this move as well?
It's not exactly the first time this happens (see Dark Void for a very old example).

Then again remember Smeargle is a thing (well, not yet in gen 8 i assume), and also every so often BSS has a special mode that allows mythicals, so it's not exactly a "pointless" effect anyway.

MattL

I have discovered a truly remarkable CT which this box is t-
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
1586443984618.png

Here is the official page, which this image is from.

Assuming the Zarude in this image has 0 HP EVs, then based on the level and HP, that means Zarude has between base 103 and base 119 HP. This is honestly a little higher than I thought it would be even though it's a mythical - my impression was that this thing would've been relatively fast, strong, and frail.

Assuming the Zarude in this image has 0 HP EVs, then based on the level and HP, that means Zarude has between base 103 and base 119 HP. This is honestly a little higher than I thought it would be even though it's a mythical - my impression was that this thing would've been relatively fast, strong, and frail.
I'd not go on the 0 EV assumpion, GF has been purposely manipulating IV/EVs of the previewed pokemon several times in the past, it's very possible that's a 252 + 31 for what we know to make it look bulkyer than it is.

That said, I'd not exclude the possibility of 100-110 base HP glass cannon either. High-ish base HP don't necessarly mean it'll be bulky (we have plenty of cases of high hp / low defensive stats cases, look for example at Grimmsnarl this gen which despite its HP has mediocre bulk, as well as other way around), and we don't know its BST so for what we know it could also be a 700 BST monster.

For now I'd rather take the stats and "damage" from pictures and trailers with a grain of salt until it actually gets datamined.

I find it weird that this move has implications for VGC when we know mythicals are not allowed. Maybe other grass types can learn this move as well?
The above page notes that "Within Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, only Zarude can learn Jungle Healing. However, it is possible other Pokémon may be able to learn this move in future games." I find it weird that they said this though.

The above page notes that "Within Pokémon Sword and Pokémon Shield, only Zarude can learn Jungle Healing. However, it is possible other Pokémon may be able to learn this move in future games." I find it weird that they said this though.
Same deal as Greninja with Water Shuriken, probably.

It's interesting because it means this might not be Zarude's only signature move. Typically, mythicals have a signature move that's intended to stay that way. There's only been one exception since gen 3 that I can think of: Heart Swap being given to another mythical.

I mean I guess it's not wrong, they can always throw it out to event Pokemon (similar to how that Darkrai got both of Dialga/Palkia's signature moves), a Ho-Oh/Entei situation or Smeargle but going out of their way to specify it could happen in future games is...weird?? Why specify that. Even if a new game was coming this year its just like, well, okay, i guess??

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
So how many regional variants can we expect to see in each expansion? We got slowbro and slowking, and the legends, and we know there are at least 100 returning pokemon per pack. Slowbro, slowing, and the kanto birds are all confirmed, but i cant see them stopping at like 3 or 4 lines per dlc. And even then, maybe there are regional evolutions that can arise as well. I want to see at least...8-to 10 per expansion.
I wouldn't hold me breath they're giving us any more than the ones they've shown us. So the answer would be 5: Slowpokes evolution and the Bird Trio. I would love to be wrong, but with GF it's seeing is believing.

I'm thinking 10 total. About 5 in each. Slowpoke, Slowbro, some 3 others (maybe a full line, maybe partial) for Armor. Slowking, the 3 Birds and Regigigas for Tundra.
Galarian Regigigas? Interesting idea though if it's also going to have Slow Start as its Ability I'd rather they not bother. Like, sure, they have the two new Regis and Regigigas as it is now only references the currently existing 3, though with how these new Regi look and being introduced I'm sort of getting this "unnatural" feel from them, like though they are Regi they're add-ons after the thought. I'm honestly more willing to believe Regigigas would be getting a Gigantamax instead (not the "leaked" one obviously; honestly it only needs one effect from a G-Max move: undo the effects of Slow Start. They can called it G-Max Full Throttle).

Yeah, that's really weird to include as that sort of goes unsaid. Also if it's not happening in Sword & Shield why even bring it up? Are they hinting that they are going to make a SwSh2?

Victini still weeps from Rayquaza yoinking his signature V create attack, or the mascot legends when darkrai got all their attacks.
No, Victini weeps in the corner because V-Create is STILL Event exclusive instead of letting it learn via Tutor like fellow Gen V mythical Keldeo and Meloetta have with their super secret Signature moves.

I know you've been a bit more cynical over the years, but...cmoooon, you dont want to entertain the idea of more regionals for legends and others? I cant see them adding 2 new regis outta nowhere and then not touching regigigas at all, nor can i imagine the slow line being the only variants for regular mons in EITHER expansion That just seems impossible. And after the glow up with regional forms getting regional evolutions (and how many we got on top of that, seriously), I extremely doubt theyd be fine with these appetizers.

I know you've been a bit more cynical over the years, but...cmoooon, you dont want to entertain the idea of more regionals for legends and others? I cant see them adding 2 new regis outta nowhere and then not touching regigigas at all, nor can i imagine the slow line being the only variants for regular mons in EITHER expansion That just seems impossible. And after the glow up with regional forms getting regional evolutions (and how many we got on top of that, seriously), I extremely doubt theyd be fine with these appetizers.
It's also fairly conspicious that Regigigas is the only non-mythic Legend unaccounted for. The Musketeers also weren't in the big montage but they are at least currently in the game; still odd (& while I Don't think it's a sure thing, I also consider the possibility of regional versions of them) but not as odd especially when the regi will be in actual temples and they added 2 more of the things.

Like, sure, they have the two new Regis and Regigigas as it is now only references the currently existing 3, though with how these new Regi look and being introduced I'm sort of getting this "unnatural" feel from them, like though they are Regi they're add-ons after the thought.
Yeah, there's definitely something weird about them. In the original DLC trailer, it shows each of the original Regis in their own unique temples, followed by a strange-looking temple shared by the new Regis. And by strange-looking, I mean the temple is split down the middle with one half being yellow and the other half being red, and it looks very tacky. Unlike the more natural-looking colors of the original trio's temples, this temple looks like it's been painted somewhat recently.

As for a possible Galarian Regigigas, I'm confident it would still have a detrimental ability (assuming it exists) though I don't think it would have Slow Start. Instead, I have a feeling it would be similar to what they did with Darmanitan and Runerigus: make a new ability that accomplishes something similar to the original's ability, but in a new way.

Galarian Regigigas I could honestly see having the inverse. Fast Start: he is a 680 base power behemoth but also after I dunno 2 turns (5 is kind of a lot for this game, it's basically free reign) his stats are cut in half

Death Phenomeno

I'm polite so just for clarity, when I'm cross I
is a Contributor Alumnus
Galarian Regigigas I could honestly see having the inverse. Fast Start: he is a 680 base power behemoth but also after I dunno 2 turns (5 is kind of a lot for this game, it's basically free reign) his stats are cut in half
So… a more horrendous version of Defeatist?

I’d be more skeptical of there being more regional forms added if this was gen 7, but game freak has shown with the SwSh news cycle that they’re real fans of revealing very little
If nothing else by virtue of adding 6 new regional forms for the DLC they are already a step ahead of gen 7, which introduced *checks notes* none in the follow ups.

The effect would presumably refresh upon switching out just like Slow Start, so it would be more akin to a delayed Draco Meteor. It would encourage a hit-and-run playstyle as opposed to vanilla Regigigas's "avoid running at all costs" playstyle.
Yeah that's how I envisioned it. I figure like a 50/50 shot on it being useless vs it being banned lol

You underestimate how short GF's attention spans are.
6th gen introduced more megas mid gen, 7th gen added more ultrabeasts and z moves mid gen, so it ata ds to reason theyll put more gigantimax and regional evolutions mid gen via expansion.

Plus: more new stuff means more new merch. More cards for tcg, more fuel for thr anime, so on and so forth.

6th gen introduced more megas mid gen, 7th gen added more ultrabeasts and z moves mid gen, so it ata ds to reason theyll put more gigantimax and regional evolutions mid gen via expansion.

Plus: more new stuff means more new merch. More cards for tcg, more fuel for thr anime, so on and so forth.
More generally, they've been adding new forms mid-generation since Gen 4. Origin Giratina, Appliance Rotom, Sky Shaymin, Fused Kyurem, and the Therian Genies (and also Resolute Keldeo but that doesn't really count) all didn't exist when their respective generations first released. This has continued alongside the expansion of generational gimmicks with Unbound Hoopa and Fused Necrozma (and sort of Dusk Lycanroc though that was less an alternate Lycanroc form as it was an alternate Rockruff evolution; also, the breedable event ability is weird).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!

More generally, they've been adding new forms mid-generation since Gen 4. Origin Giratina, Appliance Rotom, Sky Shaymin, Fused Kyurem, and the Therian Genies (and also Resolute Keldeo but that doesn't really count) all didn't exist when their respective generations first released. This has continued alongside the expansion of generational gimmicks with Unbound Hoopa and Fused Necrozma (and sort of Dusk Lycanroc though that was less an alternate Lycanroc form as it was an alternate Rockruff evolution; also, the breedable event ability is weird).
But a thing to remember here is that those were full-on releases that at least had two years of development behind them and they needed a reason for you to buy the game again even though it's the same region (and for Gen 4 & 7 were the same story just slightly adjusted). The Expansions probably have a little more than a year of work done with them and I'd wager most of the focus went on creating the new location.

This discussion I don't think is going any further then this, the lines for more Regional Variants are set as thus:

Line 1: GF hasn't shown us everything and they'll surprise us either in an announcement or keep quiet for us to discover on our own.
Line 2: GF has told us or at least hinted to us everything that is new to expect aside little trivial details.

When the Expansion is released we'll see which line goes into the "Botched Predictions" thread.

Also conspicuous is that Regigigas's current signature move didn't get snapped, even though Wring Out (which is a special move that's otherwise functionally identical) did. Won't be surprised if they end up changing its effect.

(For what it's worth, I can totally imagine some lore where the original Regigigas is incomplete, and the new one's a full-on Normal type box legendary. I don't think we have one yet, aside from Arceus, which may or may not make it in at some point.)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Also conspicuous is that Regigigas's current signature move didn't get snapped, even though Wring Out (which is a special move that's otherwise functionally identical) did. Won't be surprised if they end up changing its effect.

(For what it's worth, I can totally imagine some lore where the original Regigigas is incomplete, and the new one's a full-on Normal type box legendary. I don't think we have one yet, aside from Arceus, which may or may not make it in at some point.)
Arceus isn't a Box Legendary (technically it's not a Legendary, it's a Mythical Pokemon). A Box Legendary refers to the Legendary Pokemon that appears on a game box: Ho-Oh, Lugia, Suicune (who is more of an exception to the rule), Groudon, Kyogre, Rayquaza, Dialga, Palkia, Giratina, Reshiram, Zekrom, Kyurem, Xerneas, Yveltal, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma, Zacian & Zamazenta. It's also up in the air whether we should consider Urshifu and Calyrex part of this as they're technically the "Box" Legendary for the Expansions (at the very least the logo is based on them).

Another technicality: Regigigas is nearly/actually as strong as a "normal" Box Legendary. Aside from special cases like Suicune, Kyurem, and Necrozma, the Box Legendaries have a BST of 680 (except for Groudon & Kyogre which had their's lowered to 670 so that Rayquaza could be the master of that group). Regigigas's BST is 670, but it's Ability cuts its Attack & Speed in half for five turns (which I guess makes it as if its BST is 540 as it loses 80 is Attack and 50 in Speed).

As for Regigiga being incomplete, that doesn't make sense. Lore-wise Regigigas came first. People feared its great power (legends said it had the strength to move continents) so sealed it away and created the Regi Golems to act as keys to awaken it. That's why the two new regis are a mystery, essentially some group created two more keys but for what purpose? Were they trying to awaken Regigigas but didn't want to look around for the Regi Trio so tried creating their own? Or could they be keys to a great power that Regigigas can use, maybe the original power it had so that it could move continents, which goes back to my Gigantamax suggestion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)