Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Doesn't look like any of the moves I've seen so far.

Then again, Calyrex is the DLC's ""restricted"" most likely, and them having signature moves is pretty standard by now. I at least hope it doesn't end up being a clone of Necrozma's or another "normal hit with mold breaker" and actually does something cool.
In before it's just a simple "does double damage to Dynamax users" move. But I hope they do something interesting, like have it call in Psychic Terrain or something.

Knowing it's a Psychic type move is both interesting and disappointing. Grass is underrepresented in Ubers and it'd be nice to see it relevant as an offensive typing, as opposed to yet another primary Psychic in a format that's already at saturation level with them.

You don't even need to look at Restricted for signature moves, the only legendary pokemon in the past 3 generations to not get signature moves are Type Null, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Meltan & Kubfu and that's because their evolved forms have them. Well them and the UBs, but that at least ties into marketing treating them separately.

Even the Galarian birds get signature moves!

#PleaseGiveKantonianBirdsSignatureMoves
#PleaseGiveTheOhterRegiSignatureMoves

In before it's just a simple "does double damage to Dynamax users" move. But I hope they do something interesting, like have it call in Psychic Terrain or something.
Well if Calyrex can't Dynamax (which isn't impossible, though we don't know anything about it for now) it would make sense to have a "double to dmax" move.

From what we know, pre gen-8 ubers and legendaries, as well as Urshifu are able to Dynamax, and that alone gives them a huge edge over the gen 8 restricted when it comes to VGC viability.
They need to have something that justifies the opportunity cost of including them over lord and savior Xerneas, Duskmane or Yveltal in your "2 restricted" spot.

Then again, Zacian doesn't even need the double dmg to Dynamax to justify being in literally every team anyway

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
#PleaseGiveKantonianBirdsSignatureMoves
#PleaseGiveTheOhterRegiSignatureMoves
While seeing all these Signature Moves are neat, at the same time this is contributing a bit to Move Bloat. Now for individual Legendaries like both forms or Urshifu and Calyrex that's fine, but for the trios I always felt they could share a Signature Move. For example, the Legendary Birds could be given a strong Special Flying-type move. As for the Regi, well for them I more imagined a Status move that increased their defense stats and gets rid of their shared weakness to Fighting (or maybe something akin to Powder or Shell Trap).

Knowing it's a Psychic type move is both interesting and disappointing. Grass is underrepresented in Ubers and it'd be nice to see it relevant as an offensive typing, as opposed to yet another primary Psychic in a format that's already at saturation level with them.
Well, if you look at the animation, there's a moment where something flies off the ring it makes which look like flower petals.

Maybe this belongs in the “little things you like about Pokemon” thread, to maybe for once have a post there that’s about a little thing in Pokémon you like; but I adore that they brought the old Hyper Beam sound effect back. It’s one of the standout sound effects from RBY to me and it’s just so raw hearing it in a modern game!

Maybe this belongs in the “little things you like about Pokemon” thread, to maybe for once have a post there that’s about a little thing in Pokémon you like; but I adore that they brought the old Hyper Beam sound effect back. It’s one of the standout sound effects from RBY to me and it’s just so raw hearing it in a modern game!
Hot take.

It was adorable in XY. It is grating to hear it in SwSh. They've been recycling that effect since 2013, and while Hyper Beam may be one of the better-animated moves in Gen 8, the recycled sound does the game a disservice when so many other moves have painfully regressed in other ways.

Last edited:
I’m wondering if we’re done with Crown Tundra news till the 22nd. We’re ~10 days (depending on your time zone) out from release and if you haven’t looked at the datamine thread all you know going in is Galar Birds! New Regis! Legendary Dens!. Even with the datamine there is still so much info missing.

On one hand, I like that, especially since DLC content makes almost everyone go in blind so nothing gets spoiled weeks ahead of time like in the past. On the other hand, Isle of Armor was incredibly short and I really don’t want to deal with a dearth of filler content for no reward (*cough* Diglett Hunt, 3,000,000 Watt walk *cough*).

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I'm interested in what the reward for completing the Crown Tundra dex will be. We already have shiny and mark charms, so what reward space is left?
Considering the Frozen Tundra's main feature is the Den Adventures with Legendary Pokemon to catch at the end, wouldn't mind if they excluded needing the non-Galar Legends for needing to complete the Tundra's Dex and gave us a Den Charm that made it more likely to catch a Pokemon from Den Raids and Den Adventures. That way if you're having problems catching Legendaries or just want the advantage before tackling them just complete the Tundra Dex.

Considering the Frozen Tundra's main feature is the Den Adventures with Legendary Pokemon to catch at the end, wouldn't mind if they excluded needing the non-Galar Legends for needing to complete the Tundra's Dex and gave us a Den Charm that made it more likely to catch a Pokemon from Den Raids and Den Adventures. That way if you're having problems catching Legendaries or just want the advantage before tackling them just complete the Tundra Dex.
The den pokemon probably wont be in the dex. We have the VGC notes saying some arent and it would not at all surprise me if only the ones that show up outside of the den, during the main story of Tundra, are the ones in the dex.

So a Den Charm that specifically ups the catch rate of Raid captures is a pretty nice idea....but it also depends on how catch rates work in the Adventures because otherwise its a charm that's only useful on solo/host play and the event dens.

Personally I'd like a general catch rate up charm. Then it'd apply to every scenario anyway. Would have been more useful to have before Tundra, but on the whole I'd like to have it in the series.

If I might speculate pointlessly as we’ll know in a week anyway, I’m starting to wonder if the Ability Patch will be obtainable in a similar manner to Max Mushrooms. It’s framed in a similar way — a somewhat difficult to get item advertised as something you can improve your starter with by giving them something usually exclusive to a max raid. It’s even revealed pretty much exclusively through one part of the website.

I’m not assuming you’ll be gathering three “ability patch parts” that appear daily or after three raids, but with all the similarities I could see it being a comparable ordeal to get.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Personally I'd like a general catch rate up charm. Then it'd apply to every scenario anyway. Would have been more useful to have before Tundra, but on the whole I'd like to have it in the series.
*Catching Charm cries in a corner*

If I might speculate pointlessly as we’ll know in a week anyway, I’m starting to wonder if the Ability Patch will be obtainable in a similar manner to Max Mushrooms. It’s framed in a similar way — a somewhat difficult to get item advertised as something you can improve your starter with by giving them something usually exclusive to a max raid. It’s even revealed pretty much exclusively through one part of the website.

I’m not assuming you’ll be gathering three “ability patch parts” that appear daily or after three raids, but with all the similarities I could see it being a comparable ordeal to get.
I'm more betting it's going to be a reward for Den Adventures, something else to entice you to play through them if the Legendaries don't interest you.

The catching charm increases the rate of the critical capture chance happening (by...an undocumented amount? hm). I'm talking about something that ups the over all rate on every single throw. Like if a Pokemon only had a 10% chance of being captured that turn, with the charm, it'd be like...20%.

Also I don't think critical captures can happen during raids? A general purpose catch charm would find good use in normal play and multi/event raid play.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
The catching charm increases the rate of the critical capture chance happening (by...an undocumented amount? hm). I'm talking about something that ups the over all rate on every single throw. Like if a Pokemon only had a 10% chance of being captured that turn, with the charm, it'd be like...20%.

Also I don't think critical captures can happen during raids? A general purpose catch charm would find good use in normal play and multi/event raid play.
Well I'd say upgrade the Catching Charm then. Just like how we got the Exp. Charm at the very start of Isle of Armor and can get the Mark Charm by completing its dex, do the same except instead of giving a new charm at the start upgrade the Catching Charm so it actually does increase general chance of catching (in addition of a chance of getting a critical capture).

But with there just being a week before Frozen Tundra we'll see what they do.

Honestly I'm more curious about the story, especially the one with the G-Bird Trio as it looks like they have several cutscenes and possible overworld events connected with them, more than the new Regis and Calyrex (though with Calyrex they could just be hiding its cutscenes cause of spoilers).

With SWSH i ngeneral they've taken to the other extreme of barely revealing anything.

There's a fair bit we know is in CT but they haven't shown off at all, I'd argue more than IoA hid before release even, but at this point I'd be shocked if they dropped any more information before release? I could, I suppose, see them
Reveal the horses on release day, just because those'll spread like wildfire anyway, but not reveal the fusion

but we've had 3 CT info drops and, broadly, have stuck to showing the same info each time and just expanding on it.

e: ACtually not completely true, Calyrex has gone mostly unremarked upon after its initial reveal. It's just there, looming ominously in footage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)