Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

My main curiosity about the DLCs to be honest is how they are going to handle the """"story"""".

Specifically, is there anything preventing me from murdering the shit out of it with my level 100s? I'd love if there's an actual barrier of sort that prevents you from doing it.

(That said, I will likely still try it with "fresh" pokemon for the sake of it, but I'm still not a fan of self-imposed challenges, but GameFreaks doesn't strike me as someone who'd be bothered by this...)
If I recall you wont have full access to all your mons and items for your journey. We probably also are going to have level and type restriction for the Restricted Sparring, and there are other features unknown that may pop up as well.

My main curiosity about the DLCs to be honest is how they are going to handle the """"story"""".

Specifically, is there anything preventing me from murdering the shit out of it with my level 100s? I'd love if there's an actual barrier of sort that prevents you from doing it.

(That said, I will likely still try it with "fresh" pokemon for the sake of it, but I'm still not a fan of self-imposed challenges, but GameFreaks doesn't strike me as someone who'd be bothered by this...)
On a similar note, I'm also wondering if there's criteria before you can attempt the DLC, like becoming champion, or you can go at any time.

I was finishing off the game when the Dlcs were first announced. So I kept my in game team at their natural post game current level (mid 60s) and only updated their natures and evs. That way I will be able to naturally level them up in the Dlcs and keep some level of challenge (and only use my level 100 team for max raid battles).

Is there much stopping you from crushing the main game with overlevelled pokemon?
Depends on whether you can even use them for the main story in the first place (considering all the Urshifu focus)

And even then, considering Game Freak has the idea of "you make the difficulty", it's not something that really bothers them.

Depends on whether you can even use them for the main story in the first place (considering all the Urshifu focus)

And even then, considering Game Freak has the idea of "you make the difficulty", it's not something that really bothers them.
That was meant more in response to "is there anything stopping me from crushing the DLC with level 100s" rather than concerns about DLC making base game easier

That was meant more in response to "is there anything stopping me from crushing the DLC with level 100s" rather than concerns about DLC making base game easier
Uhm... that's what I meant to say, actually. That maybe, maybe, you can only use Urshifu in the DLC story. But even then, difficulty is not a concern for GF.

Sadly that is the concern I have as well.

I remind playing a unofficial pokemon game where each region had "separate" Pokemon and you couldn't use other region pokemon before finishing that one's story (thus creating a hard-lock into native pokemon until beating the story)

But this doesn't look like something GF would do.

To be fair, my biggest concern would be if the story is *literally* you and Urshifu only.

DHR-107

Robot from the Future
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Smogon Media Contributor
Orange Islands

Japanese trailer has dropped, nothing for English yet

17th June Release date

Looks like some sort of new Doubles Exhibition match too against Leon and Raihan?

New Pokemon Armor (Maybe):

Absol
Luxray
Tauros
Scyther
Druddigon
Whismur
Sandile
Tangrowth
Exeguttor
Poliwhirl
Kangaskhan
Bouffalant
Lycanroc
Emolga
Meinshao
Fletchinder
Dragalgae
Staryu
Scraggy

Gmax Blastoise
Gmax Venusaur
Gmax Galar Starters
Giratina

New Pokemon (Tundra):
Swablu
Cryogonal

Regirock
Regice
Registeel

Two new Regi formes (Look Electric & Dragon)
Galarian Kanto Birds (Articuno, Zapdos and Moltres)

Raid Bosses:
Mewtwo
Hooh
Lugia
Groudon
Kyogre
Dialga
Palkia
Reshiram
Zekrom
Xerneas
Yveltal
Solgaleo
Lunala

Last edited:
Tangrowth, Heatran, Scizor, Landorus...

"We're balancing the game" a___a

Noish. I want ma boi Tangrowth back.

galar zapdos is fighting/flying
galar moltres is dark/flying
galar arcticuno is psychic/flying

the new regis are electric and dragon as expected

edit: galar slowbro is poison/psychic. Poison is the primary type, I can't think of any other mons where a monotype evolves to gain a new typing as the primary type.

https://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sword_shield_expansion/pokemon/
I knew Zapdos would be Fighting, at last, a Fighting/Electric after so many lost opportunities (E-vire, Zeraora...)

EDIT: It's Flying/Fighting, oh, missread. Sry.

Last edited:
We have some more info from the JP pages.
  • Cramorant robot thing is a recycle machine and allows you to throw in 4 items to be recycled into something.
  • New moves showcased by Chandelure and Rillaboom:
    • Fire move attacks all enemies and 100% burns enemies with buffed stats.
    • Grass move is priority in grass terrain
  • GMax soup: allows Pokemon that drink it to gain the ability to Gigantamax
https://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sword_shield_expansion/features/#yoroi_no_kotoh

galar zapdos is fighting/flying
galar moltres is dark/flying
galar arcticuno is psychic/flying

the new regis are electric and dragon as expected

https://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sword_shield_expansion/pokemon/
According to google translator:

Electric Regi's signature move is an Electric-type trapping move.
Dragon Regi's signature move is stronger the move... HP you have? So Dragon-type Wring Out? Either that or it's Attack, in which case I assume it's some sort of reverse Psyshock.
The signature move of the best birb, Galarian Zapdos, lowers the target's Attack. It's Electric-type.
... can't figure out what Galarian Moltres's and Galarian Articuno's signature moves do.

We have some more info from the JP pages.
  • Cramorant robot thing is a recycle machine and allows you to throw in 4 items to be recycled into something.
  • New moves showcased by Chandelure and Rillaboom:
    • Fire move attacks all enemies and 100% burns enemies with buffed stats.
    • Grass move is priority in grass terrain
  • GMax soup: allows Pokemon that drink it to gain the ability to Gigantamax
https://www.pokemon.co.jp/ex/sword_shield_expansion/features/#yoroi_no_kotoh
And they are adding a tag team tournament. Interesting.

Galarian Articuno's signature move is a special psychic-type move that has a chance to freeze enemies.
Galarian Zapdos's signature move is a physical fighting-type move that can lower enemy defense.
Galarian Moltres's signature move is a special dark-type move that has a chance to flinch enemies.

Regidraco's signature move is a dragon-type move that has greater power the more HP Regidraco has.
Regieleki's signature move is a special electric-type move that traps enemies in an electric barrier for 4-5 turns.

Galarian Slowbro's signature move is a special poison-type move that attacks the lower stat between the opponent's DEF and SpD and can poison enemies.
Gigantamax Blastoise's G-Max move deals damage and continously attacks the enemy for 4 turns if the enemy is a non-water type.
Gigantamax Venusaur's G-Max move deals damage and continously attacks the enemy for 4 turns if the enemy is a non-grass type.

Siggu I have answers for you here.

Last edited:
Galarian Articuno's signature move is a special psychic-type move that has a chance to freeze enemies.
Galarian Zapdos's signature move is a physical fighting-type move that can lower enemy defense.
Galarian Moltres's signature move is a special dark-type move that has a chance to flinch enemies.

Regidraco's signature move is a dragon-type move that has greater power the more HP Regidraco has.
Regieleki's signature move is a special electric-type move that traps enemies in an electric barrier for 4-5 turns.
So uhm...
Articuno has a unique new combo, so do Regidraco and Regieleki (I assume this is a trapping effect which maybe does a dot over time)

Kinda disappointing that Zapdos and Moltres only get re-used versions of already existing moves (notably Moltres is likely just higher BP dark pulse), but hey, interesting typings, I wasnt expecting Dark for Moltres at all.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 7)