Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

So GF did think of adding in dialogue mentioning the absence of Kubfu and letting you complete one of the Towers with any of your other Pokemon... but that's it. Without evolving Kubfu into Urshifu you can't go any further.
Aw, shame it won't let you finish the DLC story. I was hoping this would be a really funny speedrun strat.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Well, since I watched one Youtube has decided to show me more "what if" Pokemon videos. For the sake of anyone not interested, I'll put the videos into spoiler boxes.

In this first one has to do with two concerning Eternatus, what happens if you have no Poke Balls and what happens if you have no space in your PC:
You know if GF put in this much effort into the game as being clever about the player trying to mess with their vision of this singular moment we might have had a more interesting game.

Incase you skipped the video, here's the answers:

* No Poke Ball: The game gives you a normal Poke Ball to catch Eternatus if you have no Poke Balls in your bag.
* No Room In PC: GF actually prevents you having all boxes available before the Eternatus encounter for this very purpose! Before Eternatus you can only have 31 boxes available, but after Eternatus a 32nd is unlocked. This is so if you filled out the 31 boxed before battling Eternatus, when you catch it it'll go into the now unlocked 32nd box. BTW if you hack it so the 32nd box is also filled the game crashes, but if you're playing the game normally that's of course impossible.

Like, I probably shouldn't be surprised as if they didn't think this through they knew a player would try this and would cause the game to crash. Now the Poke Ball one is kind of obvious, but I'm kind of surprised at the PC one as it didn't occur to me they would just lock a box until after catching Eternatus.

The second one deals with a few stuff but the one I find the most interesting is what happens if you have no PC space for the Legendary Wolf:
So this is an interesting one, especially considering what they did for Eternatus. If you have no room in your PC when you face the Legendary Wolf, it just won't let you battle them. You must have at least one space in your PC to battle the Legendary Wolf. That is interesting and makes me wonder why they didn't do the same trick with Eternatus if catching the Legendary Wolf was needed to be done. Like for Eternatus make it so only box 31 was unlocked after battling it and then when battling the Legendary World box 32 would unlock. I also wonder if you're not allowed to battle the Legendary Wolf without any Poke Balls because I don't think the Wolves are a guaranteed capture.

Also nice to see the Endorsement Letter is a completely useless Key Items that if removed have no effect so why did you even bother making it an item GF?

It's only been 2 months since IoA came out and "fall" stretches all the way to the end of november so far as release dates are concerned.

Gamefreak moved to home development back in like April and didn't report any issues with development, Crown Tundra by all counts is moving forward as expected.

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
It's only been 2 months since IoA came out and "fall" stretches all the way to the end of november so far as release dates are concerned.

Gamefreak moved to home development back in like April and didn't report any issues with development, Crown Tundra by all counts is moving forward as expected.
Pikmin 3 Deluxe is coming out on October 30th, and is a game that you all should buy because it is very fun.

That said, I would be surprised if Nintendo would let GF drop the DLC near another release like that. I would anticipate either late September or Mid-November.

We've been getting some Crown Tundra news concurrently with Isle of Armor (Galar Birds, Den Raids, concept art) so I personally don't expect much more than another trailer or so (especially this gen cycle, where GF is keeping a tight lid on things) before release. I think we'll see something in October and we'll get the pass mid-to-late November.

The question is, what else can they show that we haven't seen already without leaving surprises for players?

We've been getting some Crown Tundra news concurrently with Isle of Armor (Galar Birds, Den Raids, concept art) so I personally don't expect much more than another trailer or so (especially this gen cycle, where GF is keeping a tight lid on things) before release. I think we'll see something in October and we'll get the pass mid-to-late November.

The question is, what else can they show that we haven't seen already without leaving surprises for players?
datamine spoilers
Show off the 2 new horse (?) legendaries without revealing that Calyrex can fuse with them
would be the big one

Revealing the DLC is in 4 "acts" could be another, alongside teasing the one act not already shown/teased.
would be an easy one too

Peony's daughter also seems worth showing off, especially if we're traveling with her & Peony the entire DLC. Everyone loves NPCs.

They can also go into more detail about the side features. The Galar Stars tournament seems like something they'd take a second pass at, as would the third pass at the specifics of the Dynamax Adventures in terms of how you actually do them, when you can do them, if it's possible without other playesr etc. And there's probably some other side stuff that's in the DLC but haven't been detailed yet.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
First of all, I am *really* looking forward to Crown Tundra, the concept of it and what we can do in Tundra sounds extremely promising (I love exploring legendary ruins and discovering lore).

But the main thing that I find intriguing is the Legendary Raids. I really wonder how those will work in terms of actually catching the Pokemon in question in Crown Tundra. Legendaries tend to have notoriously low catch rates, and Raids only give you one shot at capturing the Pokemon until they escape. If they keep their catch rates at 3 then catching them would be nigh impossible. Assuming they are catchable in the raid, maybe it'll be like LGPE where you have to thoroughly defeat them before being able to capture them? And maybe the catch rate will be higher than in past games. Or something like that, or something like the recent Zeraora event where they will be distributed if enough people defeat them? The latter is something I'd rather not see tbh but we'll see what happens. I really do wonder how the Max Raid cover legendaries and vice versa will be catchable despite only being seen via Raids.

It'll be interesting to find out how actually catching the legendaries seen in raids will work. And if cover legendaries will spawn more than once if they fail to be caught. Considering how legendaries have historically worked in the past, this is a rather different approach from past generations.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
But the main thing that I find intriguing is the Legendary Raids. I really wonder how those will work in terms of actually catching the Pokemon in question in Crown Tundra. Legendaries tend to have notoriously low catch rates, and Raids only give you one shot at capturing the Pokemon until they escape. If they keep their catch rates at 3 then catching them would be nigh impossible. Assuming they are catchable in the raid, maybe it'll be like LGPE where you have to thoroughly defeat them before being able to capture them? And maybe the catch rate will be higher than in past games. Or something like that, or something like the recent Zeraora event where they will be distributed if enough people defeat them? The latter is something I'd rather not see tbh but we'll see what happens. I really do wonder how the Max Raid cover legendaries and vice versa will be catchable despite only being seen via Raids.
Well, one issue they need to work around is that they're going to have to find a way to prevent players from getting multiples of the same Legendary but not lock players out from helping someone looking for that Legendary.

If I was working on it, I'd probably do your latter suggestion and go the LGPE route. First you battle the Den Boss (be it Legendary or otherwise) in a battle where you just got to defeat it (like with Mewtwo and Zeraora) . After beating it you then enter a LGPE-style catching screen where you have a few minutes to chuck Poke Balls at the Legendary trying to catch it (I'd also increase its Catch Rate so it doesn't take 10+ high modifier Poke Balls). If it's a Legendary, while obviously the player that started the Raid will then be given a chance to catch it, but for everyone else I can imagine a few things. I would like it is if you don't have the Legendary as well you also get a chance to catch it while those who did instead get to catch a certain Shiny Pokemon (mostly normal Shiny but if you're lucky it'll be rare Shiny-WHY DID THEY ADD AN ADDITIONAL RARITY TO SHINY POKEMON?!). However I wouldn't be surprised if those who joined in on the Raid only get to try and catch another Pokemon (and maybe it'll be Shiny). Obviously the worst case scenario is that after you defeat the Den Boss and get the item rewards you're just kicked out, no Pokemon to show for your efforts.

I say Den Boss as I'm going to guess not every Den Exploration is going to end in a Legendary encounter. If you still have a Legendary to get it'll probably be an increased chance, but like with the USUM's Ultra Wormhole Ride you know they just can't make finding a Legendary and catching it straight forward.

And if cover legendaries will spawn more than once if they fail to be caught.
I imagine if you lose the Raid you're kicked out (or, if they do the LGPE timed catch mode, run away) and have to find that Legendary's Den again. A pseudo combination of not losing the chance to catch the Legendary but also having that feeling of "this is my chance!".

Well, one issue they need to work around is that they're going to have to find a way to prevent players from getting multiples of the same Legendary but not lock players out from helping someone looking for that Legendary.
But what if... they don't actually care this time. Outside of the cover leges, I don't see much issue in letting players catch multiple at this point, expecially as we're talking of post-game content anyway.

From what I could see from the minor trailers, it looks just like they'll be regular raids with potentially standard "5 star raid" catch rates, at the end of those ""adventures"", whatever they end up being.

So what is the current Pokemon count as of now currently available in Sword/Sheild, including regional variants? 400 + 35 + 107 + Zarude + regional variants?

Last edited:

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
So what is the current Pokemon count as of now currently available in Sword/Sheild, including regional variants? 400 + 35 + 107 + Zarude + regional variants?
Honestly and personally, I've think we've reached a point in Pokemon where the number has gotten so big and there's dozens upon dozens of "exceptions" (like different formes, Regional Variants, gender differences, etc.) that there's only two lists I care about:
  1. What's available
  2. What's unobtainable

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)