Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

I think Seismic Toss
You're correct.

I doubt it has any relevance competitively (why would you run seismic toss on chari to begin with), and it's not """new""" as it's a gen 1 TM, but it still bothers me that they put so much effort in making former event moves regular learnset then pop back on it again.
(Unless they plan a Seismic Toss tutor in the 2nd DLC... maybe)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
You're correct.

I doubt it has any relevance competitively (why would you run seismic toss on chari to begin with), and it's not """new""" as it's a gen 1 TM, but it still bothers me that they put so much effort in making former event moves regular learnset then pop back on it again.
(Unless they plan a Seismic Toss tutor in the 2nd DLC... maybe)
Actually, I'm curious if maybe both Charizards and Mewtwo were intended for LGPE. Both have a move they can only get in LGPE: Seismic Toss for Charizard and Barrier for Mewtwo. However, realizing it's kind of odd to have two event Pokemon and none for their recent game, moved Charizard to SwSh as it's immediately available in the game.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
And also Barrier is a scrapped move in SWSH so it'd have to be replaced
If they wanted to make a "movie accurate" Mewtwo using SwSh's available moves I'd say do Psychic, Shadow Ball, Protect, and Nasty Plot. Protect makes just as much sense as Barrier (heck, maybe even moreso as even when Mewtwo was ramming into Mew in their energy bubble (which is supposedly Barrier) it never looked to have physically got hurt; neither did Mew). And Nasty Plot more lines up with Mewtwo's plans and attitude way more than Calm Mind.

If they wanted to make a "movie accurate" Mewtwo using SwSh's available moves I'd say do Psychic, Shadow Ball, Protect, and Nasty Plot. Protect makes just as much sense as Barrier (heck, maybe even moreso as even when Mewtwo was ramming into Mew in their energy bubble (which is supposedly Barrier) it never looked to have physically got hurt; neither did Mew). And Nasty Plot more lines up with Mewtwo's plans and attitude way more than Calm Mind.
You're right, but they had to do this event because the Koreans never got em until now

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
You're right, but they had to do this event because the Koreans never got em until now
Well I guess that explains how much attention I paid to LGPE distributions, I didn't even realize when the movie was released Japan and the US got a Mewtwo distribution for those games (I think my attention was more toward the Mewtwo Max Raids and them having the Armored Mewtwo in Pokemon GO), lol! :bloblul:

Do you guys think the HA capsule is a as good as confirmed? Like, how sure are we that it will actually be in the dlc?

Pokemon is so frustrating with its random event only moves and abilities, and the subsequent incompatibilities that ensue from such a convoluted mechanics system. Even now, there's Lets Go moves like Teleport that should just be fucking tutor or TR moves.

Give me Wish Chansey Gamefreak you cowards
Why do you want to see OU and UU burn so much sir

Do you guys think the HA capsule is a as good as confirmed? Like, how sure are we that it will actually be in the dlc?

Pokemon is so frustrating with its random event only moves and abilities, and the subsequent incompatibilities that ensue from such a convoluted mechanics system. Even now, there's Lets Go moves like Teleport that should just be fucking tutor or TR moves.
They are actually in the game code and functional so I see no reason to doubt they'll be somewhere in the DLC.

the real question is: will we be able to change ha mons to regular ability mons? and will the ability slot be randomized for mons with 2 abilities?

Ehmcee

A Spoopy Ghost
is a Pre-Contributor
the real question is: will we be able to change ha mons to regular ability mons? and will the ability slot be randomized for mons with 2 abilities?
The original dataminer has expressed that the change from HA to ability 1 or 2 is not possible. (At least with the same item)

(From the Datamine Thread)

Called it!

EDIT: It's not reversible, though.

IMO they should just make No Guard not work on OHKO moves, like every other accuracy modifier, instead of going to these lengths to make No Guard Fissure Machamp illegal.

The original dataminer has expressed that the change from HA to ability 1 or 2 is not possible. (At least with the same item)

(From the Datamine Thread)
It's irreversible, so save your game before you do it
To be fair consider this is a item that shouldn't even be in the game yet, and looking at how G-max soup works (you can eat it twice to remove the G-max factor), it's a somewhat legitimate assumption to think there might be the "other way around" option.
(That said, there's the fact stuff like Caps is permanent so...)

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Here just to post the logical way of doing this:

Use the (normal) Ability Capsule, let's you choose which Ability you want for the Pokemon (including Hidden Ability).

... Okay, well, here's the next logical way of doing this is they MUST make it so you need a special Hidden Ability Capsule to get their Hidden Ability:

1. Want their Hidden Ability, use Hidden Ability Capsule.
2. Want one of their normal Abilities, use normal Ability Capsule (if Pokemon currently has their Hidden Ability and has 2 normal Abilities, it asks which of their normal Ability you want)

I'm guessing the internal usage of these items is
Ability Capsule: You have Ability 1 (or 2), this switches to Ability 2 (or 1)
HA Capsule: You have Ability 1 or 2 you are now ability H which is treated so differently internally I assume so they keep it "hidden"

Using the HA capsule again doesnt change it back because its not a mask, like IVs, it literaly changes the pokemon. Meanwhile I assume the Ability capsule just was never set up to change from HA to either ability and also wasn't set to make a random choci and also wasnt set to make a default choice.

The most elegant solution to all of this would have just been using a capsule brings up the other 2 choices but I also assume they didn't want to program tehse capsules to display the name of the ability or handle cases where abilities on one side are the same. But normal capsules didn't track HAs so there was no need to anyway and now HAs are its own thing so now we're just forced to lay in the bed they haphazardly made.

Smogon metagame allows past Gen moves, so Wish Chansey/Blissey (a Gen III event move) is already usable in OU and UU.
It's not as simple.
Wish is not compatible with Teleport (since one is a Gen 1 TM and the other is a Gen 3 event).
Smogon still does not allow "impossible to reproduce" combinations like this (or the infamous No Guard Fissure Machamp)

Should Wish get rereleased, there's the risk it would be compatible with Let's Go and thus enable the dreaded WishPort combo.
On Chansey/Blissey.

It's not as simple.
Wish is not compatible with Teleport (since one is a Gen 1 TM and the other is a Gen 3 event).
Smogon still does not allow "impossible to reproduce" combinations like this (or the infamous No Guard Fissure Machamp)

Should Wish get rereleased, there's the risk it would be compatible with Let's Go and thus enable the dreaded WishPort combo.
On Chansey/Blissey.
... you know, for some reason I was convinced Teleport was a move tutor move in FireRed and LeafGreen.

ScraftyIsTheBest

On to new Horizons!
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay side note here away from above discussion:

Yeah I think the "ideal path" for the dlc is something like this:
-Reach Wild Area
-Trial 1 & 2
-Go do Milo & Nessa
-Trial 3
-You have a Kubfu now, go handle Kabu & go to Hammerlocke for the first time
-Return to the island and handle the Tower [effective end of dlc]
-Finish the game
-Finish the post game
-Return to the island and finish the content

You can do everything up to the tower at any time (& lord knows experience is not in short supply....) but are specifically locked from doing the G-Max Urshifu quest until beating the post game. But the way the levels up to the Tower of Water/Darkness work it feels like this is how its "meant" to be.
It's kind of making me think that Crown Tundra's main campaign will be design with around mid-game in mind, with the idea being that in a normal playthrough you would intertwine the Island of Armor through the first part of the game, "finish" it, then you intertwine Crown Tundra for the rest of the game, then circle back for postgame.
This is something that recently came to mind as I'm doing a fresh playthrough of Shield with IoA attached and trying to intertwine doing the Isle of Armor stuff with the main story. So based on this, if what you're guessing turns out to be true regarding Crown Tundra, then it'll be something like IoA intertwines with the first three gyms (the Motostoke circle), and then the Crown Tundra becomes accessible once you finish the first three gyms and then head to Hammerlocke and have to head through the northern half of the Wild Area, which basically means Tundra mixes in with the Hammerlocke section of the game.

I mean, to be more specific, if we look at the map of mainland Galar itself, we see the routes traversed across the game are divided into two different sections:

There's two different "circles" of routes that traverse the Galar main map that players travel through in the base game. Essentially, the first one that the southern half of the Wild Area connects to is the Motostoke circle, consisting of Motostoke, Turffield, and Hulbury, plus the two Galar Mines, and as you said, the Isle of Armor trials are seemingly designed based on the level curve to intertwine with the point of the game where you reach this circle and travel across it, like the first two trials and then travel around this circle to the first two gyms, then back to Motostoke, do Trial 3, then do Kabu and then go to Hammerlocke.

Then from there, there's the set of routes surrounding Hammerlocke, routes 6-9 and Stow-on-Side, Ballonlea, Circhester, and Spikemuth, and this segment is accessible from the northern half of the Wild Area. Based on Isle of Armor's curve intertwining with the first three badges, essentially the Motostoke Circle of routes, Crown Tundra will likely intertwine with the Hammerlocke circle as the player traverses across this part of Galar at the same time they explore the tundra. Based on what is known about Tundra, if it does end up being mid-game with this particular section, the "ideal path" for Crown Tundra would probably end up as something like this:

- Get to Hammerlocke and get the "Crown Pass" or whatever this will be called.
- Enter the Crown Tundra
- Likely Galarian Birds quest starts here
- Go back to mainland Galar, do Bea/Allister and Opal, then go back to Hammerlocke
- Return to Tundra, Regi quest
- Go back, now do Gordie/Melony and Piers, then eventually circle back to Hammerlocke (again)
- Again return to Tundra, and now do the UB quest
- Back to Hammerlocke and do Raihan
- Finish the rest of the game (ie the League and all)

This basically means the levels of the Pokemon involved in Crown Tundra and the main campaign will range from around Level 30-35 (Galarian Birds) to the third quest being around Level 45-50.

This is all pure speculation, but if what you're guessing turns out to be true, then this is a speculative (albeit likely) possibility of what could be the "ideal path" for the Crown Tundra segment of the DLC. Of course, this is a loose assumption, as the actual "ideal path" order will be based on what the actual level curve of Crown Tundra relative to the main game will be.

As is known the G-Max Urshifu quest and the final battle with Mustard are locked till the post-game, and I imagine something similar will be the case with Crown Tundra: the quest regarding stuff like the Birds and the Regis will be intertwined with the main story, specifically the second half of the main story, but the episode of Tundra surrounding Calyrex will likely be strictly post-game.

Also Hop post-game is involved in the Isle of Armor's quest for the G-Max Urshifu Max Honey, and the dialogue from Hop there implies that Sonia is in the Crown Tundra post-game. This suggests Sonia could possibly be involved in the Calyrex quest post-game, further suggesting Calyrex being a very important legendary with important connections to Galar history. So there's also that.

So in summation, this will likely be the post-game with both DLCs attached:
- Main post-game, Sordward+Shielbert weirdos arc with Dynamax mons and later catching Zacian/Zamazenta
- Isle of Armor G-Max Urshifu Honey quest (Featuring Hop)
- Crown Tundra Calyrex episode (Featuring Sonia)
- Also Isle of Armor Mustard final battle

Now granted, we have to wait a few more months for Crown Tundra to actually release to know what the situation with it is for sure, but it seems like this is what the path of the game with both DLC campaigns attached will be like, assuming Crown Tundra is available pre-Champion Cup. Just pointing this out regarding the level curve of the DLCs, given the way Isle of Armor was laid out in terms of levels, it's possible Crown Tundra will be laid out like this assuming you don't do it strictly postgame. Just some possibility to think about when Tundra actually comes out.

I am guessing that there will be post-post-post game content for Tundra for completing the Mustard battle, too. The way he talks just before and after that battle feels like there's definitely something more

And we know from datamining that
there's post-post-post-poist game content for fully completing both tundra & isle, the musketeers

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 5)