Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Wow, one disappointment after the other.

Frankly subpar ability, likely trash HP and I'm not betting on it being fast considering they actually removed its Flying-Type because of all the stuff it's carrying, version exclusive despite having a sword and a shield and it's signature move is trash.

Edit: And it's a Galarian Evo. Could be trouble for the next games. Shoutout to HGSS Magneton.

Still one of the better designs this gen tho. Look at how smug it is!

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
I find it odd that it's a pure Fighting-type. I expected it to be Fighting/Flying or Steel/Flying, or even Fighting/Steel.

It seems trash competitively, but if it holds a Stick it will probably be able find a niche in lower tiers.

Hmm...you know, normally people would scoff at hyper beam esque moves but gen 7 and max moves have taught me they all have a place. The Max Move variant will turn into an extremely powerful fighting type attack that boosts its attack, so its not we should just discard it by virtue.

Oh yeah, and that awesome lunge move it used in the trailer? It's a recharge move like Hyper Beam. RIP
It really is about time they buffed that class of moves to usefulness considering how many of them there are. Maybe we'll get an item which eliminates the recharge turn, or maybe we'll get a power buff a la LGPE Solarbeam.

I find it odd that it's a pure Fighting-type. I expected it to be Fighting/Flying or Steel/Flying, or even Fighting/Steel.
Fighting/Grass would also make sense.

I was really hoping for more new info. Sirfetch'd still looks cool, and Farfetch'd's movepool does give Sirfetch'd some interesting moves that other Fighting types don't get (like Roost, First Impression, Defog). I think it'll be solid in Monotype as it gives Fighting teams a Defogger (Hawlucha has much better things to do).

I just want to know what type Zacian and Zamazenta are.

Wow, one disappointment after the other.

Frankly subpar ability, likely trash HP and I'm not betting on it being fast considering they actually removed its Flying-Type because of all the stuff it's carrying, version exclusive despite having a sword and a shield and it's signature move is trash.

Edit: And it's a Galarian Evo. Could be trouble for the next games. Shoutout to HGSS Magneton.

Still one of the better designs this gen tho. Look at how smug it is!
If you look at the Pokemon so far exclusive to Sword (the Deino and Jangmo-o lines) compared to the Shield exlusives (the Goomy and Larvitar lines), then you'll notice a trend: the Sword exclusives tend to be more offensively focused (a look through Kommo-o's movepool makes its intended role clear as a boosting sweeper) while the Shield exclusives are both slower and tankier. So the fact that this is exclusive to Sword (in my mind) translates as a powerful attacker. Hopefully Farfetch'd will get Close Combat or Superpower as a egg moves (Staraptor and Braviary can pass them, respectively).

I was really hoping for more new info. Sirfetch'd still looks cool, and Farfetch'd's movepool does give Sirfetch'd some interesting moves that other Fighting types don't get (like Roost, First Impression, Defog). I think it'll be solid in Monotype as it gives Fighting teams a Defogger (Hawlucha has much better things to do).

I just want to know what type Zacian and Zamazenta are.

If you look at the Pokemon so far exclusive to Sword (the Deino and Jangmo-o lines) compared to the Shield exlusives (the Goomy and Larvitar lines), then you'll notice a trend: the Sword exclusives tend to be more offensively focused (a look through Kommo-o's movepool makes its intended role clear as a boosting sweeper) while the Shield exclusives are both slower and tankier. So the fact that this is exclusive to Sword (in my mind) translates as a powerful attacker. Hopefully Farfetch'd will get Close Combat or Superpower as a egg moves (Staraptor and Braviary can pass them, respectively).
Also given it's a fighting type with a sword, potentially Sacred Sword.

Honestly, First Impression Sirfetch'd could be decent, especially if it has sky-high Attack (just look at that sword. l o n g.) I know I'll be preparing a Farfetch'd with First Impression for my first in-game team.

Ruft

is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Leader
If you look at the Pokemon so far exclusive to Sword (the Deino and Jangmo-o lines) compared to the Shield exlusives (the Goomy and Larvitar lines), then you'll notice a trend: the Sword exclusives tend to be more offensively focused (a look through Kommo-o's movepool makes its intended role clear as a boosting sweeper) while the Shield exclusives are both slower and tankier.
Looking at the stats, Hydreigon's highest stat is Special Attack (offensive), Kommo-o's is Defense (defensive) (especially without its Z-move), Goodra's is Special Defense (defensive) and Tyranitar's is Attack (offensive) (I know it's technically Special Defense because of its ability but I'm looking at the stats only). Looks very balanced to me.

Honestly, First Impression Sirfetch'd could be decent, especially if it has sky-high Attack (just look at that sword. l o n g.) I know I'll be preparing a Farfetch'd with First Impression for my first in-game team.
Keep in mind that Farfetch'd only gets First Impression from Smeargle.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
https://swordshield.pokemon.com/en-us/website-glitch/

I like how the implication is that the IT team was a bunch of trainers who had to probably beat rotom out of the system. Wonder if the mischievous rotom will return
Since this page has a pointer to the Sirfetch'd page, I think this is very likely. They might possibly do a whole storyline where the Rotom keep coming back to distort more pages. There is room for many more pointers next to Sirfetch'd.

Another thing: I think the bit about making Sirfetch'd Sword exclusive was another bit of clever marketing. It makes the fans go: "Okay, this was what we expected, but what the heck will the Shield counterpart be?" Answering one question while asking another. Smooth move.

It really is about time they buffed that class of moves to usefulness considering how many of them there are. Maybe we'll get an item which eliminates the recharge turn, or maybe we'll get a power buff a la LGPE Solarbeam.
They could also do what they did in Gen 1 and make those moves not recharge upon KOing an opponent (but not a Sub this time). Though seeing as how that interesting mechanic seemed to have been an accident, it will probably never happen again, unfortunately.

We don't know much about Sirfetch'd yet but I'm hoping he gets a boost to his Attack stat and his defenses (His Speed stat, due to his weight, would seem to be low). I also hope he gets a good hidden ability (I was thinking Weak Armor/Battle Armor pre-reveal but Sir isn't armored so idk what it will be.)

A bulky physical attacker with high crit chance moves (due to Stick, which I assume would work because Alolan Marowak was compatible with Thick Club) and access to recovery could find a niche in the right metagame.

What I'm wondering is will Farfetch'd with Eviolite be able to find a niche in the lower tiers as a good utility mon.

Edit: Farfetch'd is in the field group, which has the Primeape, Blaziken, Bewear, and Passimian lines in it. I'm thinking it has a good chance of learning CC by level up/breeding, and maybe hopefully Cross Chop from Primeape.

Last edited:
They could also do what they did in Gen 1 and make those moves not recharge upon KOing an opponent (but not a Sub this time). Though seeing as how that interesting mechanic seemed to have been an accident, it will probably never happen again, unfortunately.
If this signature move is Fighting-type, then it can be used as an Attack booster when Dynamaxed.

I like how the implication is that the IT team was a bunch of trainers who had to probably beat rotom out of the system.
Good old percussive maintenance never fails.

The Japanese trailer showed something interesting though. Could be just some cosmetic flair for the stadium-things (I forgot how they're calling them in SnS) but wasn't there a move where Sirfetch'd was slicing through its opponent with cherry blossoms falling on the background?

What if we're getting another sword fighting move?

Good old percussive maintenance never fails.

The Japanese trailer showed something interesting though. Could be just some cosmetic flair for the stadium-things (I forgot how they're calling them in SnS) but wasn't there a move where Sirfetch'd was slicing through its opponent with cherry blossoms falling on the background?

What if we're getting another sword fighting move?
That move is probably just Retaliate

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)