Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

I see these two:
Wailord
Skarmory

And have read someone else here saw these in a trailer:

Scrafty ?
Oranguru ?

Any confirmation for which expansion they come from? Reason I ask, is the trailer seems to be for the expansion pass and not for any one DLC?
Did you watch the earlier trailer, by the way? Scrafty, Oranguru & Wailord are all pretty obvious sights to see. And generally aligns pretty obviously. Scrafy shows up in a dojo scene: its in Isle of Armor. Oranguru & Wailord show up in tropic environment shots in a part of the traielr focusing on Armor: they're in isle of armor.

The ones where it's less clear are the battle scenes at the end of the new info trailer with pokemon like Aggron, because those take place in PVP battles.

If you think of it, we havent had VGC-legal HA legendaries for.... 3 gens? I think the only legal HA legendary in gen 7 was Lugia from that Japanese only event... and .... that's it. I don't remind if gen 6 had any legal HA legendary at all, but correct me if I am wrong there.

They'd still be pretty difficult to obtain (maintaining the rarity of HAs) considering you have to go through whatever that co-op system is AND highroll the HA %, combined with likely needing to "fix" nature and IVs of the legendary you caught, and with ridicolously low % of a shiny (though, they could even be shinylocked for what we know) but at least they would be available.
I believe the HA Creation Trio from the Hoopa movie event were legal in the ORAS restricted cup event. Other than that, the gen 7 Lugia is the only example I know of. Given the increased accessibility in SwSh generally, I can see this being a problem they want to nip in the bud in case one of these HA events ends up becoming competitively relevant. (EDIT: Oh, there were also the Aldora birds and HA Regis, which I think were VGC legal at some point?)

Heck, I wouldn't be wholly surprised if they at some point just introduce an item that lets you swap a Pokemon's ability to its HA. If such a thing existed, it would have to be insanely hard to get, but shiny editions of shiny-locked legends have largely replaced HA Pokemon as premium event rewards, and the addition of that item that lets you G-Max strongly suggests they want to make sure you can "edit" any Pokemon to be competitively viable. Letting you change to HA would be an obvious next step.

I don't think the RNG approach would be that good considering that you can likely only get them once each and co-op may be required.

edit: By the way, there's something I wonder about Urshifu: we know he'll be allowed in VGC, what I do wonder is, will it count as regular legendary, so be allowed right away like Tapus for example, OR will it account as restricted so only in GS cup?
Because one thing is to have that protect-ignoring monster around with regular pokemon, another one is to have it when the powerlevel is significantly higher.
I think it's been mentioned in the context of Battle Competitions. It might be restricted-only ones, but it's an odd caveat to put in if so.

Whether it's overpowered really depends on Urshifu's stat distribution. Breaking Protect isn't an overpowered effect in and of itself, and given how commonly used it is, it's probably intentional that they're introducing counterplay.

Last edited:
edit: By the way, there's something I wonder about Urshifu: we know he'll be allowed in VGC, what I do wonder is, will it count as regular legendary, so be allowed right away like Tapus for example, OR will it account as restricted so only in GS cup?
Because one thing is to have that protect-ignoring monster around with regular pokemon, another one is to have it when the powerlevel is significantly higher.
I don't see why it wouldn't count as a regular Legendary? It's not like Zacian, Zamazenta or Eternatus here, even with its busted ability. Otherwise it wouldn't be allowed in online & official competitions that are going to run with current VGC ruleset, I imagine.

If I had to guess the next VGC will be:
-Galar Dex + the Kanto starters, Alola starters and Musketeers
-Isle of Armor Dex
-Crown Tundra Dex excluding Calyrex, who I suspect will be a 680-ish legendary.
-The non-restricted Den Legendaries (ie: Tapu, the genies, beasts, etc)

Though it'd be more interesting imo if they didn't allow the Den Legends at all (and save those for the following year, then the year after is anything goes) but well, I think the Musketeers are legal now aren't they? So...no real reason to exclude them if they're here, I suppose.

Then the year after that is anything goes.

Though it'd be more interesting imo if they didn't allow the Den Legends at all (and save those for the following year, then the year after is anything goes) but well, I think the Musketeers are legal now aren't they? So...no real reason to exclude them if they're here, I suppose.
The musqueteers arent legal currently (else you'd prolly see Terracott everywhere). Of the pokemon not in the Galar dex available in SwSh, the alolan & kanto starters and regional variants of the pokemon in the galar dex are the only ones allowed.

The musqueteers arent legal currently (else you'd prolly see Terracott everywhere). Of the pokemon not in the Galar dex available in SwSh, the alolan & kanto starters and regional variants of the pokemon in the galar dex are the only ones allowed.
Interesting, so this run of VGC is like...the only one ever that has no legends running around huh? Since the only others available (box legends, mewtwo, eternatus) are innately restricted or outright banned (mythics) anyway.

Well, maybe they will give the Den Legends another year in the oven. I kind of suspect that while they might (is this acceptance or bartering) count towards that 100 pokemon counter, they might not be in the actual Crown Tundra pokedex. Otherwise even with other pokemon as filler there's still going to be like...50+ slots in that dex that are just going to be blank. And tied to a co-op mode.
And Urshifu would still have some legends alongside him: the 3 galar birds, the kanto versions of those birds, the 6 (regigigas is totally here come on) regi

Basically
Year 1 (well...what it would be, i guess, but uhhh....): Galar Dex + Kanto & Alola starters (no legends at all wow!?)
Year 2: Galar Dex, Kanto/Alola Starters, Isle of Armor Dex, Crown Tundra Dex (some legends here now)
Year 3: Same as before but now the normal Den Legends are here. And maybe they put out more updates with more pokemon? Those could go here too
Year 4: Anything Goes, baby, dynamaxing mewtwos and xerneases and kyogres and--

e: Just realized the reason the Muskeeters arent allowed is because there's literally no way to obtain Galar ones that have the mark.

Last edited:
  • Signature Moves are Thunder Cage and Dragon Energy... and some confusion for me comes in. So, they're both Special Attackers? What is their stat spread like? They must be completely different from the other Titans. Oh, and the effects of their Signature Moves is neat. Curious if they'll give the other Titans some Signature Moves, they too are getting focus in the Crowned Tundra DLC.
Regidrago will be bulkier, but I can tell you based on the mon design that Regieleki will have 300 base SpA. That shit is going to melt even ground types spamming t-bolt.

Well, maybe they will give the Den Legends another year in the oven. I kind of suspect that while they might (is this acceptance or bartering) count towards that 100 pokemon counter, they might not be in the actual Crown Tundra pokedex. Otherwise even with other pokemon as filler there's still going to be like...50+ slots in that dex that are just going to be blank. And tied to a co-op mode.
Here's the thing: if the Tundra leges are as "gated" by RNG as you and some others are worrying, there's a high chance that they won't be allowed until a ""wide"" distribution, like they have done for Gigamax forms.

Here's the thing: if the Tundra leges are as "gated" by RNG as you and some others are worrying, there's a high chance that they won't be allowed until a ""wide"" distribution, like they have done for Gigamax forms.
now we're cooking with gas. I can easily see them having special Dynamax Adventure "events" that will also double as incentive to buy the DLC if you haven't already.
Yeah sure uhh *rolls dice* Hatterenes are super common now and give good moves but if you had the DLC you could be getting Tapu Lele pretty cool huh? huh??

I thought about how we don't know what the new Regis' abilities do yet, but they're clearly related to typing and are probably some sort of power buff for moves of that type. The other two legendaries with type-boosting abilities are... Xerneas and Yveltal, which a lot of people noticed as having design similarities with the new Regis.

It's probably just a coincidence (particularly since the X on Regieleki also looks like a fuse), but it's still interesting, and it makes me wonder if their effects will be similarly aura-based.

now we're cooking with gas. I can easily see them having special Dynamax Adventure "events" that will also double as incentive to buy the DLC if you haven't already.
Yeah sure uhh *rolls dice* Hatterenes are super common now and give good moves but if you had the DLC you could be getting Tapu Lele pretty cool huh? huh??
I mean... that would make sense, but let's be honest who exactly isn't going to buy the DLCs anyway?
Only people who actually havent played SwSh at all or lost interest in them completely.

It's quite guaranteed that everyone who owns SwSh and still plays them or plans to play them again will buy them, let's be realistic.
Now, I can see a point for people owning multiple versions and not wanting to buy the DLC for both, but then again, you can still transfer pokes to a non-DLC version so

I mean... that would make sense, but let's be honest who exactly isn't going to buy the DLCs anyway?
Only people who actually havent played SwSh at all or lost interest in them completely.

It's quite guaranteed that everyone who owns SwSh and still plays them or plans to play them again will buy them, let's be realistic.
Now, I can see a point for people owning multiple versions and not wanting to buy the DLC for both, but then again, you can still transfer pokes to a non-DLC version so
I think you would be surprised at how many people might pass up on add on content and equally surprised how somewhat small things could entice people to buy them
Nothing is guaranteed on any front, so if they'll try to hedge a few bets they will I'm sure of it.

I am... I don't know, a little anxious? I am probably going in blind after yesterday's info, but I would have liked some indicative information... guess it's GF as always, we'll make do with what is given. My humble opinion:

Good stuff
:
  1. Galarian Birds and Reginews - if you take the time, you can actually implement old mons and their variants/new buddies properly, unlike the mythicals who have been treaded like a random BP prize. Or Kyurem, Necrozma and their buddies, who managed to mysteriously slip into Sw/Sh 's code without knowing why (maybe because Dexit was the result of GF brains both freezing and blanking?). My not so wild guess is that there is either a new Regigigas equal that is the exact opposite (devastating for a couple of turns, and then deadweight) or that Regieleki and Regidraco are the power sources that propel him, his complete form or his Gigantamax form out of Slow Start. Both mons would fit the description of "power out of nowhere" unlike the original trio.

The birds look awesome as well, it remains to be seen if their retyping has something to do with the environment or Calyrex, or if they're out of the blue new versions that have always been in Galar. They're also much more optimized, and this is how a legendary should feel, regardless of its overall power: beware, one misstep or miscalculation and my ability will make you regret challenging me.
  2. Slowbro (Gunbro? Swordbro?): fun design, brand new stuff everywhere (different typing, new moves, new ability). I smell it could be sensibly different from regular Slowbro. Again, this how regional variants should all be.
  3. Bouffalant. At least one favourite of mine returning. Time to breed and then choose a fitting ball for it in Gen 8.

Bad stuff:

1. I would have liked to be reassured that Slowbro would not be the only regional variant for Isle of Armor. I am terrorized at the idea that its family is the only one. As I already explained in the past, Regional variants can mitigate the large dex problem somewhat because they leverage on already existing concepts, so I would like to hear that the possibility of new forms is at least... a possibility. I am hopeful still, but...
  2. I am skeptical, again, about how they will treat the fact that you embark on a new challenge despite having had 8 months to build a collection of overpowered mons. Carryover, items, levels... this actually embeds far more than simply preventing access to your already existing mons, and I don't know if GF is equipped for this.
  3. In Crown Tundra at least, offline raid parties will need improvements.

From everything we've seen about Isle of Armor I am guessing the "new challenge" is covered by:
1. Wild Area's leveling system
2. No normal trainers
3. The main challenge, the towers with Kubfu, are done only with Kubfu and no one else

The closest thing we've seen to a conventional battle is with the rival, which we have no indication when it occurs or the full context of it. It could easily be a thing of just taking your newly evolved Urshifu (which can G-mAx!) o na 1 on 1 battle against their dynamaxed Galarian Slowbro

Thoughts on the news:

• Slowbro-G is very interesting. A Poison-type Photon Geyser move but for defenses is going to be very useful for all the Fairy-types running around, especially Clef, and if Slowbro-G has a decent SpA it might, at the very least, be able to act as a soft check to them. Nothing on the ability so far, but my prediction is that it either acts like a quick claw or it lets it do retaliatory damage when hit like Cramorat's Gulp Missile. I still hope that it gets Regenerator as a second option though.
  • Regieleki is very cool but I'm not sold on the name. Transistor is either going to be a Fairy Aura for Electric Moves (transistors amplify electric currents) or something that let's it hit mons that are immune to electricity, though not at full power. Thunder Cage will be very good for allowing set-up, depending on the stats this pokemon gets.
  • Regidrago also gets a Fairy Aura type ability but for Dragon moves in Dragon's Maw. Here's hoping that it gets decent bulk so that Dragon's Energy is useful and it can act as a breaker.
  • I like the designs of the Kanto G-Max forms, and am glad that their Max Moves are variations of G-Wildfire. At least it doesn't show favoritism to Charizard.
  • Not much to say on Urshifu until we get stats but it seems like a powerful Pokemon and I hope that it will at least be useable in OU.
  • The Glarian Bird Trio is...something. I get that they wanted to preserve the Trio Relationship so they kept all of them part Flying (speaking of, why doesn't the Trio Master, Lugia, get a new Galar form? Whose keeping the Birds in check here? You all know you want a Water/Flying Lugia-G) but it makes the pokemon lose their iconic status when they lose their elemental typing. That said, Dark/Psychic/Fighting is a better balanced triangle than Fire/Ice/Electric (also, its funny how Kanto Zapdos is super-effective against its counterparts and Zapdos-G is super weak to them).
  • Zapdos-G seems to be the physical breaker of the group, and will hopefully have high Attack and high Speed. Defiant is a great ability. Here's hoping it gets something like Wild Charge for some electric coverage. Thunderous Kick seems like a good move as well, mostly because I don't think its going to get CC (maybe HJK though?).
  • Articuno-G seems to be the special breaker of the group, seeing as it gets Competitive. Freezing Glare might be broken depending on the chance to get the secondary effect (I'm not expecting anything more than 10%, still that's going to be big).
  • Moltres-G is the least interesting of the trio to me. It seems to be more defensively/bulk oriented but who knows. Berserk is an okay ability but subpar compared to the other two. It'd only be useful if you have reliable recovery. Fiery Wrath just sounds like an upgraded dark pulse. I just feel like they didn't know what to do with this mon.
  • New moves are interesting and will likely need lots of testing. Burning Jealousy is a god-send to any pokemon that gets treated as set-up bait, even if it has low BP. Torkoal might be the biggest beneficiary if it gets it, but we'll have to wait on distribution news. Grassy Glide, besides being useful for Rillaboom, might not have that big of an impact. Seems like unless you have Grassy Surge you're just better off running a Scarf or a sun/chlorophyll sweeper, but I could be wrong.
  • The rest of the features are okay. We finally know how we can get G-Max pokemon and the battle modes seem good. I'm happy about most of the returning pokemon.

I see where you're coming from, but on same note, I think that this is a good way for them to actually release "current gen" HA legendaries without requiring a ridicolous amount of limited-time events for when Natdex and GS cup VGC laps start.

If you think of it, we havent had VGC-legal HA legendaries for.... 3 gens? I think the only legal HA legendary in gen 7 was Lugia from that Japanese only event... and .... that's it. I don't remind if gen 6 had any legal HA legendary at all, but correct me if I am wrong there.

They'd still be pretty difficult to obtain (maintaining the rarity of HAs) considering you have to go through whatever that co-op system is AND highroll the HA %, combined with likely needing to "fix" nature and IVs of the legendary you caught, and with ridicolously low % of a shiny (though, they could even be shinylocked for what we know) but at least they would be available.

I am really suspecting either a galarian form, a dedicated Gigamax, or both.

Expecially the fact that the Regis were the *only* legendary so far shown outside of a Dynamax Raid or trainer battle is giving me a huge vibe that collecting all 5 regis will lead to this new Regigigas ... expecially because if they don't, why bother keeping it as the only unconfirmed legendary so far.

I know both my statements can be countered with "GF and logic in same sentence?", but hey, let me hope there ok? :P

The creation trio had their HAs from a Gen 6 event to celebrate the Hoopa movie.

I just want to point out that some people have said that max venusaur and blastoise is lazy copying...

First off, if its lazy, they definitely copied the homework of the A+ Student. Charizard and Coalossal have been dominating online with thier gmax moves alone, its the definition of meta defining. The second point is that the other 2 pledge effects are leagues apart. The Rainbow doubles the chance of effects going off, which i can definitely see becoming a problem with the right degenerate movesets, but the swamp..... The swamp should never be free. To reduce the speed of the entire enemy team to a quarter of their usual for FREE with no drawbacks might be the biggest "I win" button ive heard of unless you are packing trick room. I hope that thing STAYS away.

Last edited:
I just want to point out that some people have said that max venusaur and blastoise is lazy copying...

First off, if its lazy, they definitely copied the homework of the A+ Student. Charizard and Coalossal have been dominating online with thier gmax moves alone, its the definition of meta defining. The second point is that the other 2 pledge effects are leagues apart. The Rainbow doubles the chance of effects going off, whihc i can definitely see becoming a problem with the right degenerate movesets, but the swamp..... The swamp should never be free. To reduce the speed of the entire enemy team to a quarter of their usual for FREE with no drawbacks might be the biggest "I win" button ive heard of unless you are packing trick room. I hope that thing STAYS away.
Honestly, I wouldn't call it lazy copying.

In fact, I think it's a very *consistent* choice: to have all 3 do same effect with their own types.
I can see wanting a bit more "unique" results, but I have a very hard time being unhappy with this decision.

(Plus uuuh... people really underestimate how strong those 2 effects are combined with weather, expecially Venusaur's on sun teams, considering competitive grass types tend to be rare and outside Ferrothorn and probably HA monkey we're not really going to see many more)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)