Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

It's been the case since Gen IV, and the code leak all but confirms it's deliberate, and not a glitch (it specifically asks if the Pokémon is not Kadabra before checking if it has an Everstone).
Do you have a source on that claim? That would be an interesting read.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Related to this I also suspect if Alakazam ever got a regional form, Kadabra would not. Uri Geller's presence is still felt to this day, seemingly. Only pokemon to still evolve if it holds an everstone, it hasn't shown up in the anime since 2005 (interestingly, Jynx also last appeared in 2006) and there hasn't been a Kadabra card since Skyridge in 2003. Even Jynx still gets cards these days (though never a EX/GX/V)
To further add onto this, just because Kadabra hasn't appeared in the TCG doesn't mean Abra and Alakazam haven't. Both appeared in the Mysterious Treasure expansion, but not Kadabra, instead Abra was given a move called "Ultra Evolution" that let it evolve directly into Alakazam. Now this was the last time Abra had a TCG card... BUT Alakazam would later get an EX and Mega EX in Fates Collide, EX Pokemon not needing to evolve.

But man, imagine if instead of a Regional Alakazam they make a new Regional Evolution for Abra that then can evolve into Alakazam, then trying to essentially erase Kadabra by having the Regional Evolution carry over as the default evolution from then on (Kadabra being accessible but more of a hassle to get). Not sure what it would be, probably look much more closer what a middle form between Abra and Alakazam would look like. Ooh, I know! One thing they could do is have it's tail split and the ends begin to look like spoons, maybe have it also become more slender so it carries it around like a wand or staff. Thus explaining where Alakazam's spoons come from!

I feel like i should mention Pokemon Masters has a literal Potyphone, so its not like the idea is lost
I mentioned the Porygon Phone in Masters.

sudden thought: Raising Kubfu seems to be the crux of the DLC, right? You can't do the tower without it and its the main thrust of the "story".
But by extension that also means you probably can't be allowed to get rid of it. Otherwise you just can't do anything to actually "finish" the DLC.

And if that's a thing then, even if you obtain it from the get go & they just mark it as it cant leave, it likely means you couldn't store it in Home or Trade it away before you evolve it.
The alternative is you dont actually get Kubfu before it evolves into Urshifu. You get it as a cutscene and then get to use it in the tower of your choice, so it'll be in your pokedex, but you can't use it outside of there until evolution.

People who love living pokedexes: shudder with fear

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
sudden thought: Raising Kubfu seems to be the crux of the DLC, right? You can't do the tower without it and its the main thrust of the "story".
But by extension that also means you probably can't be allowed to get rid of it. Otherwise you just can't do anything to actually "finish" the DLC.

And if that's a thing then, even if you obtain it from the get go & they just mark it as it cant leave, it likely means you couldn't store it in Home or Trade it away before you evolve it.
The alternative is you dont actually get Kubfu before it evolves into Urshifu. You get it as a cutscene and then get to use it in the tower of your choice, so it'll be in your pokedex, but you can't use it outside of there until evolution.

Hmm good point.

If I were to do it, giving the player Kubfu yet have it central to the story not having it would ruin things, I'd say the Towers wouldn't have anything to do with the story. Here's my thinking:

We enter the dojo and are introduced and paired with Kubfu. Kubfu isn't an official member of our party but rather gets added to our party when doing a story segment and removed once we're done with that story segment. Finally, upon completing the dojo we're given Kubfu for real. We can now do anything we want with it, including sending it to HOME. However we're told that we can now enter the Tower of Darkness or Water with Kubfu if we so please (and in order to enter we'd need to have Kubfu in our party). However the only thing we'd get from evolving it to Urshifu and bringing it back to Mustard would probably be some additional congratulatory/educating text and maybe an item. Nothing fancy, just a little extra for those who do a little extra.

I was thinking that for a bit, but I feel HOME having a Pokédex and incentives towards completing that; and hence needing a way to have Kubfu put in there somehow, shows that there will probably be some way to do it. I imagine that it'll be a case of completing the story as Kubfu, and then there'll be a special "post-story" place on the island to go to to evolve it if you wish.

I was thinking that for a bit, but I feel HOME having a Pokédex and incentives towards completing that; and hence needing a way to have Kubfu put in there somehow, shows that there will probably be some way to do it. I imagine that it'll be a case of completing the story as Kubfu, and then there'll be a special "post-story" place on the island to go to to evolve it if you wish.
or.... the other way around. It evolves during the story, but you get a second one in the """postgame""" like Cosmog in gen 7

" According to CoroCoro, booking of tickets for the movie Pokémon the Movie Coco will open in Japan on August 7th, after a more than three month delay due to the global situations. The movie will be released at a later point in the Winter of 2020. Alongside this, serial codes for Shiny Celebi and Zarude will be given and available to use instantly. "

- Serebii

" According to CoroCoro, booking of tickets for the movie Pokémon the Movie Coco will open in Japan on August 7th, after a more than three month delay due to the global situations. The movie will be released at a later point in the Winter of 2020. Alongside this, serial codes for Shiny Celebi and Zarude will be given and available to use instantly. "

- Serebii
Shiny Celebi?

Isn't this the very first time they are giving it away? And the very first time outside of VC Crystal in which it can be obtained legally (that can be transferred to a game of Gen III onwards)?

Shiny Celebi?

Isn't this the very first time they are giving it away? And the very first time outside of VC Crystal in which it can be obtained legally (that can be transferred to a game of Gen III onwards)?
For modern games, yes I believe so. I think they did give away Shiny Celebi as events in the gen 2 era through pokemon center stuff (& Shiny mew), but as you say those can't be transfered up.

- Serebii
So we won't be expecting Zarude until December then

It is kind of funny how due to the sudden pandemic, Zarude went from the platonic ideal of a mythic: not present in the code, our first sight of it was at reveal and with no idea of how it will play and can fully do until it is released alongside the DLC

to having to sit in the code for about 2 months

Regarding Kubfu and being transferable: Kubfu is shown in the trailer as fighting wild Pokemon and eating curry in the camp. Definitely seems like it would be an actual member of your party.

Also, when looking at the trailer I renoticed Exeggutor and wondered why it wasn't its Alolan form. Then I considered Dynamax Alolan Exeggutor.
Still, kind of a missed opportunity, don't you think? :psynervous:

On the subject of the release date, I actually find this hypotesis by Merrick a good guess.

More than likely a safe bet by Joe.

The notification message on mobile Jail states that an update will be required not only for mobile, but also for HOME on Switch.

Now, since on Switch you can't do anything meaningful outside of moving mons from actual games to HOME and viceversa, it's more than likely that the update will allow you to move the newly available DLCs mons into SwSh.

Come to think of it, I'll get back from work on Wednesday, and before launching the game, I'll take a look at my living Dex to see what Mons will have been put into the game. And in the process, I'm sure, I'll get pissed and turn the PS4 on.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)