Sword & Shield **Official news only** DLC Crown Tundra 22nd October

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Yeah no. Very few companies would intentionally leave stuff in for data miners to find to generate hype. Game Freak is not one of them. Also that UB theory was really dumb, with only Lillie and maaaaybe Guzma bearing any notable resemblance.
And Lusamine. And it makes sense for those three to be dressed in a similar matter to UBs due to Lusamine's obsession with them. Of course she'll if not dress similarly but pose herself after the UB that she physically can attribute to (Pheromosa). Lillie was dressed as a Nihilego as that was the UB central to Lusamine's obsession, maybe a way to combine the two things (at the time) that was most precious to her. Finally Guzma, with his frizzled white hair, may have already vaguely resembled a Xurkitree so Lusamine may have given him some dressing advice to emphasize it more. BTW, Lusamine was also probably all doing this subconsciously; if her obsession was central on Nihilego why would she bother posing as Pheromosa or emphasize Guzma's similarities with Xurkitree?

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
The news of potential level scaling for trainers makes me excited, but also a little nervous. Will Game Freak treat it as a pilot attempt towards a more open-world approach to game progress in future Pokémon games, or will it remain a generational gimmick of Gen VIII? I once thought DexNav would revolutionize the way the Pokédex would work from ORAS on, but nothing like it has even been attempted since then. Level scaling could be huge and revolutionary, or it may be as much of a dud as seasons. Game Freak's "give with one hand and take away with the other" approach to game design makes it kind of hard to build excitement for the long run.

Will Game Freak treat it as a pilot attempt towards a more open-world approach to game progress in future Pokémon games, or will it remain a generational gimmick of Gen VIII?
... I hope it remains as a generational gimmick. Directionless open world is a massive joy-killer to me, and I wouldn't like it to stay in Pokémon for that reason.

Last edited:
... I hope it remains as a generational gimmick. Directionless open world is a massive joy-killer to me.
I mean, it doesnt necessarly have to remain as it is if kept, it can *definitely* be improved, and a (properly made) Pokemon Overworld'd do wonders

Unrelated: can we appreciate that finally the Home update finally blocks impossible requests?
*insert It's been 3000 years meme*

I mean, it doesnt necessarly have to remain as it is if kept, it can *definitely* be improved, and a (properly made) Pokemon Overworld'd do wonders
The solution to SWSH's problems really should not be to pivot even harder into a big openworld game. There is such a bigger amount of complexity involved and they were having enough troublae with just the linear, traditional portions of the game.

Even if I inevitably believe this is exactly what they're going to do.

Unrelated: can we appreciate that finally the Home update finally blocks impossible requests?
*insert It's been 3000 years meme*
This real? Great I can finally get those stupid lv1-10 Zamazenta and similar things off the fricking GTS.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
... I hope it remains as a generational gimmick. Directionless open world is a massive joy-killer to me.
Doesn't have to be directionless. Take Johto as an example, where you're free to go either East or West after Ecruteak. The game's level curve goes flat for a long while to accommodate both options, and the game really suffers for it. A bit of level scaling could have done a lot to make the games more enjoyable whenever you reach a fork in the road - which is to say, the designers can feel more free to put some forks in the road. The forks can eventually meet again, to make the overall story linear, but letting you choose which order to do things in. I imagine it could be used well for, for instance, letting you pick whether to take on the Grass or Electric gym first, as long as you do both before the Steel gym.

If the scaling works by shifting levels only, and not Pokémon evolutions or movesets, the best way to apply it would be within smaller chunks of the story. It would be weird if a trainer battled late used Geodude with Tackle and Mud Sport at level 65, while you could take on a level 10 Golem with Earthquake and Stone Edge if you took another path. However, a Graveler with Rock Tomb and Magnitude could work just as well at level 30 as it would at level 40. As long as the scaling is kept within a carefully defined interval, it shouldn't be necessary to adjust more than the Pokémon's levels to maintain a relative level of challenge in a scenario with more paths to choose between.

So uuuh I guess I'll actually have to farm some Zeraora raids... I hope they actually drop something useful instead of another million Gigamax Candys though

YOOOOOOOOOOOO POKEMON SMILE LETS GO LETS FUCKING GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Which absolute brain trust genius decided that the day the DLC comes out, the day most of us will be wanting to actually explore and play the DLC, is also the day we have to suddenly spam raid Zeraora

I swear that big announcement next week better be Sleep.

Went about as well as I had hoped, that is to say a bunch of stuff I can ignore. Was hoping they'd throw in the Home/Go compatibility stuff, though, given there was a maintenance for Home.

Megas in Go tho kek

Thank you Gamefreak, I always have'd trouble finding the motivation to wash my teeth but now with new and innovative app featuring badly drawn pokemon I'll no longer have to spend hundreds of dollars on dentists

thank you:blobshrug:

Also, why is there a pikachu plush black as night in the background? (no, I don't really care about Pokemon Snap)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 3)