859s.png
865.png
865s.png
868.png
868s.png
877_1.png
877_2.png
880.png

gmax butterfree, gmax meowth, ponyta, rapidash, boltund, dracozolt by KingOfThe-X-Roads with some qc from me
yamask, cramorant, clobbopus by Cynda
applin, appletun, toxel, hattena, milcery by Crocovyle with qc from me. Cynda helped qc toxel
darmanitan by G.E.Z.
263_2sb.png
823_1b.png
823s_1b.png
837sb.png
845b_1.png
859b.png
859sb.png
spreadsheet has been updated

Last edited:

p0ip0le

it's a billion lions
Why does someone need to be approved anyway? If they made a good-looking sprite and are offering it up for Smogon to use, then what does it matter?
consistency, im guessing. it'd probably also be better to have a preset team willing to do stuff on request than waiting for people to do it

of course im not mod so theres a possibility that im completely off, but

For the why approval question, I guess it's to make sure random people don't come by posting someone else's Sprite and calling it their own
Bc if the original artist sees their art out in SD! when they didn't agree for it to be used may cause problems between Smogon and said artists ^^
Approved artists are ones leparagon knows he can trust ^^

leParagon

I'm still around, don't worry
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
during the time i was still looking for spriters, you needed to send them before posting it. if the sprite was good, i would send them a discord link. there, the spriters give each other feedback. just because you post something nice doesnt mean there are no mistakes. and poipole and aetherplayer are correct, it was for consistency and to prevent unwanted stuff that make the thread longer. if people didnt want stuff deleted then read the instructions first. simple matters have simple solutions.
in the XY sprite project, things were very messy and a bunch of people were posting sprites here and there. thats why in gen 7, Layell implemented an application system. it was a good idea so i adopted that for gen 8 as well, but i'm more picky about it
that being said, if you guys have questions, please dm me instead of posting here

leParagon

update (don't forget to check the spreadsheet for a clearer version of the credits, including the animations and icons):
012_g.png
012_gs.png
077_2s.png
078_2s.png
083_2.png
110_2s.png
264_2s.png
554_2.png
554_2s.png
555_3.png
555_3s.png
555_4.png
555_4s.png
618_2.png
618_2s.png
810s.png
813s.png
814.png
814s.png
816s.png
817.png
817s.png
826_1.png
826_g.png
831s.png
838.png
838s.png
862s.png
869_1.png
872.png
872s.png
873.png
873s.png
874.png
874s.png
879_1.png
879_1s.png
880.png
880s.png
883.png
883s.png
888_1s.png
888_3s.png
889_3s.png

edited butterfree g
farfetch'd, orbeetle, orbeetle g, stonjourner, copperajah, dracozolt, dracovish by KingOfThe-X-Roads
darumaka, darmanitan edit, zen darmanitan by G.E.Z.
raboot, drizzile by Crocovyle with some edits from me
carkol by Spook with edits from me
snom by RadicalCharizard with edits from me
alcremie qc
554_2b.png
554_2sb.png
555_3b.png
555_3sb.png
810sb.png
813sb.png
816sb.png
831sb.png
862sb.png
869_1b.png

darumaka, darmanitan by G.E.Z.
alcremie qc
052_g.gif
834_g.gif
835.gif
848.gif
856.gif
859.gif
868.gif

meowth g, toxel, hattena by NoelleMBrooks
drednaw g and yamper by PumpkinPastel but drednaw was slowed down and yamper had some added frames by NoelleMBrooks
impidimp by PumpkinPastel
gen8-icons.png

meltan, melmetal by NoelleMBrooks
grookey, scorbunny, sobble, gossifleur, wooloo, normal drednaw, yamper, rolycoly, barraskewda, polteagesit, obstagoon, alcremie, full belly morpeko, normal copperajah, dracozolt, dracovish, arctovish, normal duraludon, zigzagoon, linoone, charizard g, pikachu g, melmetal g, eternatus g by RadicalCharizard with edits from me
rillaboom, cinderace, inteleon, greedent, butterfree g, meowth g, machamp g, gengar g, kingler g, lapras g, snorlax g, garbodor g, melmetal g by Kalalokki with edits from me

Last edited:
I am not an approved spriter.
I am quite new to the Smogon forums actually.
I just sprited that Cinderace for fun one night and thought it could be of use for Showdown

Thank you CDS

I made it in 1 night after seeing that Cinderace is still using it's dex sprite.
Should I delete the post though?

Because of what HM100 said, I'm not sure now if we are able to show off our sprites in this thread...

I just wanted to see if my sprite could be of use to smogon while the official one is still being WIP

Thank you CDS

I made it in 1 night after seeing that Cinderace is still using it's dex sprite.
Should I delete the post though?

Because of what HM100 said, I'm not sure now if we are able to show off our sprites in this thread...

I just wanted to see if my sprite could be of use to smogon while the official one is still being WIP
It's cool that you sprited it, but the fact you're not an approved spriter disallows you from posting sprites here.
You could still put them up on DA, and maybe say to approved spriters that if they want to use it they can, and even then, I don't think we would want our DMs to be flooded with non-approved spriters ^^' Sorry !

^^'
The matter is, most people here have had all SM period, even XY period for some, to hone their skills in spriting ^^' Your sprite is far from bad, but we only accept approved spriters for a reason : we know what they're capable of
If you want advice for spriting, no probs, but just do not put it out in here ^^'

Like if you want to help, slide into our DM, we'll tell you if your sprite needs adjustments and maybe if your sprite is really good (and the 'mon isn't reserved) you may get included XD
That's kinda how I got in at the end of SM period : I shiny edited leParagon's front Zeraora sprite, I posted it on DA, quoting him so he could see it
He found it great, and asked me if I wanted to embark xD

leParagon

Seeing the slow progress made to sprites ... I think you should be happy people are providing sprites instead of shutting them down because they are not "approved spriters".
Just my two cents.
nope. there are already people working on the sprites. in fact, most of the time someone tries to send a sprite, theres already a sprite ready for it. and aside from that, the quality needs to be consistent. if i just accept the first sprite i see and it doesn't meet the quality standards, it'll take me more time to edit it than if i just made it from scratch myself. the sprites arent just being used for smogon. a lot of fangame, online game, and hackrom makers see these sprites and use them as well

the reason the random people sending sprites arent approved spriters is because theyre not seasoned pixel artists. some of the people working with me have been spriting since gen 5 if not earlier. they know what theyre doing. and the few people on my team who have only little spriting experience learn super fast and produce sprites that are extremely easy to edit/qc so it doesn't take me much time or effort

go check out the x and y sprite project to see why im so strict about the approved posts thing. they finalized less sprites in twice the time compared to the gen 7 and gen 8 projects
for any further concerns, just send me a dm or something. i'd like to keep this thread for sprites and stuff

Do you realize we're working our asses off to provide you the best quality possible ?
Also most progress is done in a Discord server to avoid flooding here
AND for fuck's sake the game isn't even a month old yet, most Pokémon don't even have all of their sprites published, we have to rely on shiny hunters to get our shiny sprites so of course for now it's fucking slow --'
Not to be rude but that comes off as arrogance. Don't be pricks and allow everyone to submit their sprites instead of forming an "elite" spriter group.

Hey, this is my first post on the site, and I'm not a part of the project, but I've been lurking here for a while, and I just felt compelled to interject.

Not to be rude but that comes off as arrogance. Don't be pricks and allow everyone to submit their sprites instead of forming an "elite" spriter group.
It's not an "elite spriter group." There were applications. Literally anyone could apply.
I think it's fair to say that this is a necessity - it makes sure people are reliable (i.e. not posting incomplete sprites or sprites without backs and dumping even more work on the rest of the team to pick up their slack) and legitimate (i.e. people who have established credibility and won't just go around posting other artists' work) and that they can be held accountable if they aren't (if they're not doing their part and are causing problems, they can just be removed from the list of approved spriters without some ridiculous blacklist of "only these specific users CAN'T post here").
Meanwhile, I think "arrogance" is someone thinking they're above that process and somehow don't need to go through the same vetting as everyone else - that they should be welcomed with open arms into the project because they're just that good.

In any case, the point of having specific approved spriters and a shared chat is that it also allows them to collaborate and divide the work reasonably, which is obviously not going to happen if everyone is posting their own sprites on their own time. This thread is only seven pages long, and the ones posting sprites without approval didn't even properly read the first post - which is only three short paragraphs, and half of one of them is crossed out. How do you expect to open this to everyone at once without seeing three or four people post competing sprites for the same Pokémon while plenty of others need to be done? Establishing a reservation process, only accepting sprites from specific people who understand that reservation process and making sure those people are all in contact with one another is a perfectly good solution - and when the ones still posting sprites are by definition the ones who don't respect that reservation process, they would obviously be creating the exact problems this system is meant to avoid.

In any case, I really, REALLY don't think it's appropriate to clog up the thread with this discussion any longer. If people still have concerns with or questions about the process, I'm sure they can DM Leparagon (like he said on this very page...), but going out of your way to make the policy dispute a public affair - and insulting the people on the project while you're at it... - isn't something Leparagon should have to be dealing with right now.
Especially when the alternative is, you know, working on the project that you want so badly to speed up.

As a final note, if you still really badly want to contribute the project... I can't say if you'd actually be considered, but I'm sure there would be no harm in just contacting Leparagon and applying properly even though applications have officially ended. Even if you're a bit late to do it, I'm sure showing that you have some understanding of the process, that you can follow the process and that you're interested in collaborating as part of the team would at least give you a better chance than straight-up ignoring the rules and expecting your contributions to be taken seriously. I'm not sure if Leparagon would accept a late application either way, but I'm pretty confident that that's at least a much better way than posting unwanted "help" here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)