SM OU Sylveon for OU!

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Hi all!

I’m back again after what seems like MONTHS testing this Sylveon team. I just happened to see it one day, and I thought, why not create a team around it?
But the team isn’t doing well at all. So I decided to come back here again to ask the helpful Smogon people for advice. So here I am. And here’s the team if you want to help :)

The star

Lil Healing Fairy (Sylveon) @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
For those of you who also play UU, this little fairy must be familiar to you. The standard cleric set.
For OU players, one look at it should tell you it’s a cleric anyway. Heal Bell, Wish, these moves are only seen on clerics. And you should know the Wish-Protect combo too. Hyper Voice, after Pixilate, becomes a Fairy-type move and allows Sylveon to be a backup Fairy attacker. But try not to go on the Offensive with this Fairy, as it’s rather frail.

The other members

Ninja (Greninja-Ash) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes
So here is my Spikes setter, and Water/Dark attacker. Another basic set.
I chose this set as Sylveon is exteremely weak to Steel and Poison attacks, and Ash-Gren is a very good check to one of the OU gods, Heatran, Steel-killer and Steel-type lord.
Not much to go through, as most of you have seen this ninja on the ladder far too often. Hydro Pump for Water attack, Dark Pulse for Dark, Water Shuriken for the boost it gets when it changes to Ash-Greninja. Self-explanatory. I chose Hydro Pump over Surf because I like the higher damage dealt by Hydro Pump.

Magical Mechanical Fairy (Magearna) @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 6 Spe
- Heart Swap
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
As mentioned, Sylveon is weak to Poison and Steel. Magearna counters Poison-types, especially the common Toxapex, and the occasional below B-rank Poison-types.
Yeah, this is another standard set. All my Pokemon use standard sets. So I’ll stop saying ‘this is a standard set’ if not it’ll drive you out of your minds :)
This one is the Heart Swap set. Personally, I like Heart Swap as a lot of Pokemon use stat-raising moves, and Heart Swap ruins it nicely :). Pain Split is useful when running low on health. Volt Switch is... for switching this Pokemon out for another Pokemon after the opponent has switched or attacked. Flash Cannon is for a Steel-type attack for Poison-types :)

Attitude Problem (Toxapex) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes
Toxapex is for tanking hits with its sky-High Defenses. Oh yeah, and setting Toxic Spikes.
Scald is for a Water-type move; a damaging move so it doesn’t get destroyed by Taunt. Haze destroys all stat boosts, and is just as useful as Heart Swap at destroying opposing Pokemon. Recover is for recovery. And I’ve said Toxic Spikes.

Vulcan (Heatran) @ Steelium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock
And we finally get to the most useful Pokemon. Actually, the two most useful Pokemon, the other is below :)
Heatran is the kill-all-Steel-types-except-itself OP ‘mon. Oh yeah, and the OU god. This guy helps destroy all other Steel-types apart from itself to make Sylveon’s life easier. This guy is also my Stealth Rock setter.
Not much to say here. Flash Cannon takes care of Poison-types. So yeah, this guy is also my Poison-killer :)
Magma Storm is for Fire-type STAB, and how I kill Steel-types. It’s so inaccurate however, so I’m planning on changing this to Lava Plume so that I COULD AT LEAST HIT SOMETHING!!!
Earth Power, if I’m certain I outspeed the opponent’s Heatran, could be used to kill opposing Heatrans. And other Steel-types. And Poison-types.

Earthy (Landorus-Therian) @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn
The last Pokemon in this arsenal, Landorus-Therian kills Steel- and Poison-types easily. He is also my other Stealth Rock setter.
Ok, so I’ve said Stealth Rock. Earthquake works the same way as Earth Power on Heatran, killing Steel- and Poison-types. HP Ice is for coverage, and can deal a large amount of damage to Pokemon exteremely weak to Ice such as Lando-T and Garchomp. U-Turn does the same job as Volt Switch on Magearna.

Replays:
None at the moment. I forgot to save some replays. If you saved a replay with a Sylveon on the opposing team, reply this message with the replay because that is almost certainly me :)

Thanks for reading, and give helpful suggestions!

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpA
Bold Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell

Greninja-Ash @ Choice Specs
Ability: Battle Bond
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Dark Pulse
- Water Shuriken
- Spikes

Magearna @ Leftovers
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 28 Def / 232 SpD
Calm Nature
IVs: 6 Spe
- Heart Swap
- Pain Split
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Scald
- Haze
- Recover
- Toxic Spikes

Heatran @ Steelium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
Modest Nature
- Flash Cannon
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Last edited:

737373elj

Banned deucer.
I usually use Lando when dealing with Chan. For non-cleric versions, they are usually Poisoned by Pex’s Toxic Spikes, if not I try to Burn it with Scald. But yeah, Chansey’s a problem.

I usually use Lando when dealing with Chan. For non-cleric versions, they are usually Poisoned by Pex’s Toxic Spikes, if not I try to Burn it with Scald. But yeah, Chansey’s a problem.
U cant poison or burn Chansey, he´s always using natural cure so he wil switch and bye status. Your heatran can trap chansey using magma storm, so i will suggest Taunt or toxic over rocks here, so u can trap him and kill, u have rocks in lando anyways, two rockers are not a need.

However, i think there is no reason to play sylveon in OU, i mean clefable can outclass sylveon with this set at 99% of the time.

Honestly, sylveon is completely outclassed by clefable in this tier. It has access to unaware and magic guard, which can help to shut down opposing stall/setup sweepers and gets the same heal bell wish-protect combo sylveon does.

By the way, to do the boxes you do [HELP=Example ] then the text and then [/HELP ] without the spaces. Example is the name of the box, blank if you just want it to say hide.

Take what i say with a grain of salt since I'm getting back into things for the first time since the Zygarde suspect:

- The Mega Venusaur matchup seems like an absolute pain if Heatran goes down or if it has the rare EQ.
- Similarly, opposing Landorus-T pressure your team pretty hard if your own Landorus-T is weakened / KO'd.

With both mentioned weaknesses, I'd consider fitting something like Kyurem-B onto the team. It helps with both & even gives you another Chansey answer.

737373elj

Banned deucer.
Take what i say with a grain of salt since I'm getting back into things for the first time since the Zygarde suspect:

- The Mega Venusaur matchup seems like an absolute pain if Heatran goes down or if it has the rare EQ.
- Similarly, opposing Landorus-T pressure your team pretty hard if your own Landorus-T is weakened / KO'd.

With both mentioned weaknesses, I'd consider fitting something like Kyurem-B onto the team. It helps with both & even gives you another Chansey answer.
Yes, Mega Venusaur is a pain. I always lose when I face it as they would have weakened Tran by then.

Your forgetting I have Ash-Gren. Once I get him into Ash, Water Shuriken can kill it. Or Hydro Pump non-Ash. I always manage to kill Lando anyway.

Adding Kyurem-B sounds good though. But a few questions (I haven’t used him at all before)? Does it have Spikes? Can it check Heatran? (If yes to both questions I can afford to switch him for Ash-Gren)

Yes, Mega Venusaur is a pain. I always lose when I face it as they would have weakened Tran by then.

Your forgetting I have Ash-Gren. Once I get him into Ash, Water Shuriken can kill it. Or Hydro Pump non-Ash. I always manage to kill Lando anyway.

Adding Kyurem-B sounds good though. But a few questions (I haven’t used him at all before)? Does it have Spikes? Can it check Heatran? (If yes to both questions I can afford to switch him for Ash-Gren)
Well Ash Gren is more of a check then counter. But actually my statement applies to more ground type attackers in general. Although rare, a Nidoking or Mamoswine look like absolute nightmares for this team.

As for Kyurem-B; no on the Spikes question, yes on the checking Heatran question since it has Earth Power.

737373elj

Banned deucer.

I think I would take my chances with MVenu and Lando-T. Ash-Gren and all the other teammates are too important to replace. Venusaur is horribly rare anyways.

Not here for a full rate, but if youre struggling with Chansey, then giving Taunt to Heatran can help to chip it down a lot while its trapped under Magma Storm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)