move 4: Synthesis
item: Grassium Z
ability: Beast Boost
nature: Jolly
evs: 136 HP / 120 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Knock Off is preferred over Sacred Sword as it allows Kartana to punish potential checks such as Mega Latias, Celesteela, and Scarf Landorus-T while also crippling hazard setters such as Ferrothorn and Heatran. While Sacred Sword can be used over Knock Off to immediately pressure Heatran and Ferrothorn, it is considered a subpar option, as it leaves Kartana unable to pressure Mega Latias, Tornadus-T, and Zapdos. Synthesis enables Kartana to repeatedly pivot into offensive Ground-Types and hazard setters such as Gliscor, Garchomp and Ferrothorn. Swords Dance allows Kartana to pressure Garchomp and Gliscor without having to expend its Z-Move. Defog allows Kartana to remove hazards from common setters such as Ferrothorn, Garchomp, and Mega Tyranitar lacking Fire Punch.

Set Details
========

120 Attack EVs allows Kartana to OHKO offensive Garchomp with Bloom Doom. The remaining EVs are allow Kartana to switch into Ground-types such as Garchomp and Gliscor consistently.

Usage Tips
========

Kartana should be used to defensive check Pokemon such as Gliscor, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn.

Team Options
========

This set can be used on both offensive and balanced builds that requires a pivotal check to Ground-Types such as Garchomp and Gliscor. Toxapex makes for an excell

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[curiosity,443485]]
- Quality checked by: [[Jordy,395754 ], [Leo,328915], [, ]]
- Grammar checked by: [[, ], [, ]]

Last edited:

Sayuze

Banned deucer.
ik this is still wip, but shouldn't knock off be included, if not be higher of a priority than sacred sword? blade knock defog synth kart is a set ive seen and i feel like knock gives it a lot more utility (not that sacred sword is bad, its good too but i feel like knock is kinda superior so maybe a slash?) namely, knocking off ferro pex lando / anything else ig or also forcing recovers on m-lati@s is appreciated

ik this is still wip, but shouldn't knock off be included, if not be higher of a priority than sacred sword? blade knock defog synth kart is a set ive seen and i feel like knock gives it a lot more utility (not that sacred sword is bad, its good too but i feel like knock is kinda superior so maybe a slash?) namely, knocking off ferro pex lando / anything else ig or also forcing recovers on m-lati@s is appreciated
We agreed that Knock Off should actually be the main move on the set, as it allows Kartana to make progress much more easily.

synth kart isnt that good imo. kart is used as a brainless sd sweeper and i think synth is a waste of a slot. maybe z giga would do better tbh
What was the point in posting this? Synthesis Kartana has really established itself as a good set these past few months and it's not like Swords Dance, Choice Band, and Choice Scarf Kartana don't already have analyses.

comments in purple things to remove in red
[SET]
name: PAPER FAN (Defog Utility)
move 1: Leaf Blade
move 2: Knock Off / Sacred Sword
move 3: Synthesis
move 4: Defog

Swords Dance isn't slashed, so there's no need to slash Sacred Sword.

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

• Knock Off is preferred as it allows Kartana to punish potential checks such as Mega Latias and Celesteela whilst also limiting Ferrothorn. Add Tangrowth as an example.
  • Sacred Sword can be used over Knock off to break past Steel-types such as Heatran and Ferrothorn, but comes at the cost of being unable to break pressure Mega Latias and Tornadus-T. I think pressure is a better word to use here because Knock Off isn't necessarily breaking past them either, it's just far more annoying for them to deal with. It should be noted that Sacred Sword should also only be used alongside Swords Dance.
  • Synthesis enables Kartana to repeatedly switch into the likes of Garchomp, Ferrothorn and Gliscor.
  • Defog can be is used as it is able to pressure common hazard setters such as Garchomp, Ferrothorn and Mega Tyranitar.
  • If Defog isn’t required, Swords Dance can be used in its place.
As the meta has continued to evolve, it's become pretty clear that Synthesis + Swords Dance is inferior to Swords Dance + 3 Attacks, so I'm not sure if Swords Dance and Sacred Sword should even be mentioned here anymore.

Set Details
========

• 120 Attack EVs allows Kartana to OHKO offensive Garchomp with Bloom Doom.

Add that 136 HP investment minimizes the chance of being 2HKOed by Garchomp.

Usage Tips
========
  • Kartana should prioritise switching into weaker hazard setters such as Garchomp, Ferrothorn, and Gliscor and remove their hazards as often as possible.
  • Synthesis should only be used when absolutely necessary, as its PP is too low to reliably spam.
  • Conserve Kartana’s Z-Move for hazard setters such as Garchomp, Gliscor, and Clefable, as it makes breaking them easier.
I think you should also mention that crippling checks such as Celesteela and Heatran that lack reliable recovery should often be a priority.

Team Options
========

• Kartana fits on both offensive and balanced builds which appreciates its ability to remove hazards and act as a solid check to Pokemon such as Garchomp, Gliscor, Ferrothorn, and Mega Tyranitar.
  • Hazard-susceptible pivots such as Heatran, Toxapex, and Ferrothorn make for excellent partners, especially since they all appreciate the grounds being pressured etc
  • If running Sacred Sword, Pursuit trappers such as Mega Tyranitar, Weavile, and Krookodile are excellent partners as they are able to trap Pokémon that are easily able to wall Kartana, such a short Tornadus-T, Mega Latias, and Zapdos. Pursuit support is pretty good either way.
  • Kartana's able to force a Knock Off on Pokemon such as Ferrothorn, Heatran, and Tornadus-T which is pretty nice for certain teammates and that should definitely be mentioned here.
[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[, ], [, ], [, ]]
1/3, good work.

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
Kartana is a consistent hazard remover due to its ability
uh
Knock Off is preferred over Sacred Sword as it allows Kartana to punish potential checks such as Mega Latias, Celesteela, and Tornadus-T while also limiting Ferrothorn and Tangrowth.
mention that sacred coverage isnt as useful on a set without sd
Kartana should prioritise switching into weaker hazard setters such as Garchomp, Ferrothorn, and Gliscor and remove their hazards as often as possible.
i wouldnt call chomp weak, just mention hazard setters it can take on
Pokemon that appreciate
finish this as well

check discord for an explanation on how this is gonna work, thanks

ausma

token smogon furry
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Top Artistis a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
OU Forum Leader
didn't expect me here did you

comments in orange
additions/changes in purple
removals will be striked

[SET]
name: PAPER FAN (Synthesis Utility)
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Leaf Blade
move 3: Knock Off
move 4: Synthesis

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Knock Off is preferred over Sacred Sword as it allows Kartana to punish potential checks such as Mega Latias, Celesteela, and Scarf Landorus-T while also crippling hazard setters such as Ferrothorn and Heatran. While Sacred Sword can be used over Knock Off to immediately pressure Heatran and Ferrothorn, it is considered a subpar option, as it leaves Kartana unable to pressure Mega Latias, Tornadus-T, and Zapdos. The former two outspeed it so I feel as though just emphasizing that they can't hard switch into Kartana is both more accurate to how the interaction plays out and also isn't misleading. Synthesis enables Kartana to repeatedly pivot into offensive Ground-Types and hazard setters such as Gliscor, Garchomp and Ferrothorn. Swords Dance allows Kartana to pressure Garchomp and Gliscor without having to expend its Z-Move. Defog allows Kartana to remove hazards from common setters such as Ferrothorn, Garchomp, and Mega Tyranitar lacking Fire Punch.

Something I would like to see here is what exactly this set, overall, is aimed toward accomplishing. Why should you run Synthesis and invest bulk into it as opposed to just going ham and going into your offenses? Obviously we know it's to play into Kartana's physical bulk and typing, but in what ways is this relevant exactly? This also helps to differentiate it more from your Synthesis sentence and make clear as to what its role is.

Set Details
========

120 Attack EVs allows Kartana to OHKO offensive Garchomp with Bloom Doom. The remaining EVs are allow Kartana to switch into Ground-types such as Garchomp and Gliscor consistently.

Usage Tips
========

Kartana should be used to defensive check Pokemon such as Gliscor, Garchomp, and Ferrothorn. This is too little information. How should you use it as a win condition, how would you know when to pivot and when to heal, and more importantly, how would you know when you pop Swords Dance or Bloom Doom to set up a sweep?

Team Options
========

This set can be used on both offensive and balanced builds that requires a pivotal check to Ground-Types such as Garchomp and Gliscor. Toxapex makes for an excell

my guy you rly gotta transition into the next chapter, i'm shaking in my boots here. Anyway please finish this section and maybe talk about some team partners that both appreciate its defensive utility and maybe some that can help position it.

[CREDITS]
- Quality checked by: [[Jordy,395754 ], [Leo,328915], [, ]]
I noticed that you removed a good amount of content that previous checkers stamped you for. I get it if you're aiming to update the content for the current day but as it currently stands several sections are just really lacking in detail, are outright unfinished from what I can see, and desperately need more detail about how this set plays in execution and why you might want to use it. If it's a WIP aimed toward updating the information, it's sort of hard to tell what your intentions are here given the current status of the analysis, and I don't really want to take any further action until I know for sure.

That being said, given the possibility that you're just in the middle of updating it, use my suggestions here as a bit of a guideline as to what I'm looking for, then let me know when you've gotten everything implemented/wrapped up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)