Monotype Tactical Withdrawal: A Hyper Offense Normal Team

Introduction

Hello, this is BlueRay. Since this is my last holiday, I thought I could present to you one of my most favourite Normal teams that I've created back when Mega Pidgeot was released for the first time in SM. Because it has withstood the test of time, it may thus represent a nice alternative to the standard Normal team that you usually see on ladder and which is rather known for their balance play style.
As the title already suggets, it's a hyper offense Normal team centred around Mega Pidgeot and the idea of 'tactical withdrawal'. With the exception of Bewear, all Pokémon on this team have a way to gain momentum. U-Turn and Voltswitch are thus key moves if you want to keep pressuring your opponent.

Teambuilding Process

Mega Pidgeot is a fast, strong special attacker that pressures Fighting teams Normal is weak to. While there is some merit to use Staraptor, it's not fast enough to threaten fast Fighting Pokémon such as Keldeo or Mega Gallade. Furthermore, it takes recoil damage from Brave Bird and has a somewhat difficult time beating Steel teams with Close Combat. And this is where Mega Pidgeot comes in. Aside from some exceptions, it can OHKO or 2HKO Steel Pokémon with Heat Wave.
Due to the nature of my team, Mega Pidgeot is my only Defogger.

As Mega Pidgeot has a Rock weakness and an Electric weakness, it can switch to Diggersby, the wallbreaker of my team.

Heliosk, on the other hand, can absorb Water moves Diggersby is weak to, and hit back with one of its coverage moves.
All these three Pokémon form a very effective, offensive core that can terrorize opposing teams with U-Turn or Voltswitch. This usually allows you to keep momentum.

Smeargle supports the whole team with Spore, Stealth Rock, and Sticky Webs, which makes sweeping easier.

Bewear serves as a defensive backbone when one of my three main offensive Pokémon is unable to outspeed dangerous Pokémon, such as Mega Lopunny or Choice Scarf Terrakion. It's also my win-con against Ghost teams.

If Bewear is my physical defensive backbone, then this would make Assault Vest Meloetta my special defensive backbone. I can also rely on Meloetta to deal with Fighting Pokémon if Mega Pidgeot is out of the picture.

The Team

Pidgeot (F) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
There is not much to add as I've already covered it in the team process. Make sure to preserve its HP so that it won't die to priority moves. It's also important for your match-up against Bug, with Volcarona being a massive threat to this team. All of Mega Pidgeot's moves are necessary in order to deal with Fighting and Steel teams. U-Turn is essential for keeping momentum while Defog allows you to get rid off entry hazards. If you think this team doesn't need Defog, you could replace it with Roost to keep the bird healthy at all times. However, I would advise against it because to make good use of U-Turn and/or Voltswitch you cannot allow your Pokémon to continuously take damage from entry hazards.

Diggersby (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
Jolly is chosen over Adamant in order to out-speed Heatran. Life Orb makes Diggersby a threatening Pokémon that isn't choice locked. This is very important as Balance Steel teams tend to rely on Protect to scout opposing moves/items.
As for Fire Punch, it's your only way to deal with Scizor and Celesteela.

Heliolisk (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Surf
- Grass Knot
Heliosk is very good at dealing with Water and Ground Pokémon with one of its coverage moves. Life Orb is needed to get rid off of Garchomp after some minor chip damage; Terrakion, on the other hand, is OHKOed by Grass Knot. Surf is useful for catching Excadrill and Alola Marowak off guard, two of which tend to switch in expecting an Electric move.

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Spore
- Sticky Web
Its status moves allows it to support this team, while U-Turn allows you to keep momentum and break Focus Sash/Sturdy. U-Turn is also very useful when you think your opponent is going to send out a Grass Pokémon or a Magic Bounce user. This allows you to send in any Pokémon that can deal with them.

Bewear (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Substitute
I wanted Bewear to be as bulky as possible on the physical side, hence the Impish Nature and the 252 HP / 248 Def spread. Bewear's moveset allows it to solo Ghost Teams behind Substitute. Mega Sableye and Decidueye are set-up bait as they can't do anything to Bewear behind Substitute. Use this chance to set up with Bulk Up to boost its moves. Earth Quake is a strong move that can hit Ghost Pokémon. It's also useful at weakening Pokémon weak to Ground moves. Drain Punch gives you recovery and is important in order to deal with Mega Lopunny and Terrakion. 8 Spe allows Bewear to out-speed Jellicent.

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 112 HP / 4 Def / 204 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt
Meloetta is another Pokémon that can generate momentum with U-Turn. Assault Vest is chosen to make it a special defensive backbone. 188 Spe is enough to out-speed Jolly Breloom. 204 SpA allows Meloetta to almost always 2HKO Impish Celesteela with Thunderbolt. 112 HP turns Rock Slide from Landorus-I into a 3HKO after Stealth Rock. 4 Def is important to reduce the chance of a 2HKO from Heavy Slam Celesteela. It's only a 7.4%.
I prefer Modest Nature because Meloetta won't out-speed any relevant Pokémon with a Timid Nature, I believe. While Excadrill is slower than Meloetta, it's almost always scarfed or it's in sand.
Dazzling Gleam has a nice chance to 2HKO standard Mega Sableye after Stealth Rock. It's also an important move to deal with a boosted Kommo-o or other Dark and Dragon Pokémon, such as Latios or Hydreigon. Dazzling Gleam has a 75 % to OHKO a boosted Kommo-o after Stealth Rock. Psychic on the other hand is a relative strong STAB move, but you can opt for Psyshock instead if you fear Volcarona.

Conclusion

In my experiences, this team has a good match-up against weather teams. Though, Fire tends to be the toughest match-up as none of my Pokémon likes to eat Fire moves. You have to rely on Stealth Rock and Sticky Webs in order to pressure Fire teams. In theory, Volcarona should be a massive threat to this team, so it's important to preserve Smeargle's Focus Sash. That way, it can put the moth to sleep. Or you have to make sure it doesn't get the opportunity to set up with Quiver Dance. I say 'in theory' because I haven't met many teams with Volcarona.
When you're facing Sand teams, you have to be very careful when you switch out your Pokémon. I usually send in Bewear, expecting Rock Slide or Iron Head from Excadrill. After that, I often call back Bewear, expecting my opponent to switch out their Excadrill. Heliosk is usually the Pokémon I send in because it can threaten almost any Pokémon Ground teams can offer.
It's also important to note you shouldn't aways lead with Smeargle because that is what some players might expect.
Other than that, this team is very fun to play with. It's similar to an Electric team because it keeps annoying opponents with U-Turn and Voltswitch, thus allowing you to keep momentum. Though, it's not always that effective. This is especially the case when you're facing strong, bulky Pokémon such as Kyurem-B.

Some Replays

Normal: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-725225882
Here, Ditto isn't even a threat as Bewear doesn't take much damage from physical moves. Bewear can also survive strong physical moves such as Hi Jump Kick from Mega Lopunny and scare it away.

Poison: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-725228932
This one here shows how effective the tactical withdrawal can be.

Sand team: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-725293246

Fighting: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-812184559
While I lost to Spore Breloom, I think this shows how threatening my Normal team can be to Fighting teams. With Sticky Webs and the right opportunity, Mega Pidgeot can solo a Fighting team.

Rain team: https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7monotype-820186897

Pidgeot (F) @ Pidgeotite
Ability: Big Pecks
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Defog
- Heat Wave
- U-turn

Diggersby (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Huge Power
Happiness: 0
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Frustration
- U-turn
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Heliolisk (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Surf
- Grass Knot

Smeargle (M) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock
- Spore
- Sticky Web

Bewear (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Fluffy
EVs: 252 HP / 248 Def / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Drain Punch
- Bulk Up
- Earthquake
- Substitute

Meloetta @ Assault Vest
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 112 HP / 4 Def / 204 SpA / 188 Spe
Modest Nature
- Psychic
- U-turn
- Dazzling Gleam
- Thunderbolt

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)