Talonflame [Triples]

[OVERVIEW]

Talonflame is a staple Pokemon in the Battle Spot Triples metagame that provides teams with a good offensive Pokemon with incredible support options. It has priority STAB Brave Bird that can hit any side of the field, no matter what position Talonflame is in; this means that unlike against most other Pokemon, your opponent can't position their Pokemon to avoid Talonflame's attacks. Talonflame is very useful for disrupting opposing strategies and providing your own team with speed control. It has support moves such as Tailwind, Quick Guard, and Snatch, all incredibly useful moves to have on a Triples team. Talonflame has a nice Fire / Flying typing as well, giving it some useful resistances to common types such as Fairy and Fire and an immunity to Ground. Furthermore, Talonflame can work on almost any kind of team: it's great on offensive teams because it can provide support without being dead weight offensively, and it provides great support for balanced teams or Trick Room teams as a fast backup attacker. However, Talonflame is very frail and has a crippling 4x weakness to the common Rock Slide, so it can often be hard to keep it in the fight for more than a few turns.

[SET]
name: Offensive Support
move 1: Brave Bird
move 2: Tailwind / Protect / Flare Blitz / Taunt / Will-O-Wisp
move 3: Quick Guard
move 4: Snatch
item: Sharp Beak / Life Orb
ability: Gale Wings
nature: Jolly
evs: 60 HP / 196 Atk / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Talonflame's strongest STAB Flying-type move and hits any side of the field regardless of what position it's in. Thanks to Gale Wings, Talonflame can set up Tailwind very reliably, providing speed control for your team, which is very important in Triples. Quick Guard protects your team from various moves such as Fake Out, Sucker Punch, and Flying-type attacks from opposing Talonflame. Fake Out is an especially important move to block because it's incredibly common in the metagame, and Talonflame conveniently outspeeds every unboosted user of Fake Out bar Mega-Evolved Mega Lopunny. Snatch is a very useful move in Triples, as it can stop many common moves such as Wide Guard, Quick Guard, Reflect, Light Screen, and Tailwind. Stopping your opponent from using Wide Guard and Quick Guard is especially useful for helping Talonflame's teammates use spread moves or Fake Out. If you don't need Tailwind on Talonflame, or are using it on a Trick Room team, it has many other options it can use. Protect can be used for stalling Trick Room and keeping Talonflame on the field for another crucial turn of support. Flare Blitz allows Talonflame to hit Steel-types such as Aegislash. Taunt can help prevent Wide Guard, Trick Room, and other strategies. Will-O-Wisp can be used to cripple many physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan.

Set Details
========

A Jolly nature with maximum Speed investment is used to at least Speed tie with other Talonflame and allows Talonflame to outspeed Weavile and Quick Guard its Fake Out. 60 EVs in HP help Talonflame survive a -1 Rock Slide from Landorus-T. The remaining EVs are put into Attack to get the best damage output possible. Sharp Beak is used to give Talonflame a better offensive presence; it is usually used over Life Orb so that Talonflame will have a little less recoil and potentially survive a turn or two longer, as well as allowing another teammate to use Life Orb if need be. If you don't mind the extra recoil and want more damage, Life Orb is still a viable option. Gale Wings is an amazing ability, allowing Talonflame to usually move first, even against opposing speed control such as Trick Room and Tailwind.

Usage Tips
========

Talonflame should utilize its support moves to give your team the biggest advantage possible. If the opposing team doesn't have any way to initially stop your speed control, Tailwind should be used. If the opponent has their own Tailwind setter, you might want to attempt to Snatch it, preventing it and using it for yourself. Snatch should also be used if you have teammates using spread attacks, such as Earthquake and Hyper Voice, against a foe that might have Wide Guard. If you need to get a Fake Out off with one of Talonflame's teammates, Snatch can also be used if you expect your opponent to use Quick Guard. You can also use Talonflame's Quick Guard when you expect opposing Fake Out or other priority moves to come your way. Successfully stopping any Fake Out will usually put a big dent in your opponent's plans. Aside from its great support, Talonflame can use its strong priority attacks to get off good damage, being especially useful for its ability to hit any side of the field. Because of this, you usually want to position Talonflame away from the center to avoid more Pokemon being able to target it. Positioning it away from the center is also nice because Talonflame can use its great natural Speed for shifting, which can be very useful for protecting Talonflame's teammates from predicted attacks.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with spread attacks, such as Earthquake and Heat Wave, really appreciate Talonflame's ability to Snatch away opposing Wide Guard. Pokemon with good spread attacks that work well with Talonflame include Sylveon, Landorus-T, Blastoise, and many more. Talonflame can also use its strong Brave Birds to weaken Pokemon for these spread attacks to clean through the opposing team. Pokemon with Wide Guard, such as Aegislash, Hitmontop, and Hariyama, can assist Talonflame by blocking Rock Slide. Hitmontop and Hariyama also appreciate Talonflame's Snatch because it helps them get off Fake Out against Quick Guard users. They can also use Feint to break Quick Guard for Talonflame's Brave Bird. Pokemon with average Speed, such as Mega Blastoise, Sylveon, and Assault Vest Landorus-T, can benefit from the Tailwind that Talonflame provides. Trick Room teams like having Talonflame as a backup fast attacker and for the support it can provide against Fake Out users that try to stop Trick Room from going up. Snatch also helps stop Wide Guard, which normally threatens most strong Trick Room sweepers such as Sylveon, Mega Camerupt, and Jellicent. Talonflame also deals with Amoonguss well, which can be a major problem for Trick Room teams. Talonflame is very frail, so Intimidate support is useful to soften some blows. Landorus-T and Hitmontop both offer Intimidate support and synergize well with Talonflame for reasons listed above. Talonflame also hates opposing Intimidate, so having Bisharp as a partner helps to play against it and discourages your opponent from leading with or bringing in their Intimidate users. Some other viable Defiant or Competitive Pokemon to accomplish this with are Milotic and Braviary. Although Braviary stacks weaknesses with Talonflame and functions similarly, having both can quickly wear down the opponent's Flying-type checks. Electric-types such as Zapdos and Rotom-W can help against bulky Water-types that Talonflame struggles with. Rotom-W can easily deal with Landorus-T and can also Snatch away Quick Guards for Talonflame.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Choice Band makes Talonflame a very strong attacker that can hit any side of the field; it's especially good on Trick Room teams to OHKO Amoonguss, which usually is a pain. Running Choice Band means Talonflame gives up a lot of its support options and becomes much less flexible. Lum Berry can be useful when facing Dark Void Smeargle or Amoonguss. Focus Sash can guarantee Talonflame survives a second turn after setting up Tailwind. Talonflame can be run more defensively, as priority can make up for lack of Speed investment, allowing you to run bulk to patch up Talonflame's frailty. Acrobatics can be used as an alternative to Brave Bird with no recoil, but it has a much lower damage output and your opponent will be able to see Talonflame's lack of item in Team Preview and know what to expect. Charti Berry can be used to allow Talonflame to survive one Rock Slide. Bulk Up can be used to help Talonflame survive some attacks and become very strong, but it is often hard to find good setup opportunities and it is difficult to fit into a moveset. Bulk Up is also susceptible to being taken by opposing Snatch users.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Intimidate**: Talonflame's Attack isn't very impressive to begin with, and after an Attack drop from Intimidate, Talonflame can really struggle to do significant damage.

**Bulky Water-types**: Water-types such as Mega Blastoise, Politoed, and Jellicent can take Talonfame's hits fairly easily and fire back with super effective STAB moves. Mega Blastoise can also hit Talonflame from any side of the field when running Water Pulse.

**Rock-type Moves**: Talonflame will be KOed by almost any Rock-type move without Intimidate factored in. Landorus-T with Rock Slide is especially common and Intimidates Talonflame as well. Tyranitar takes Brave Birds easily and fires back with powerful STAB Rock Slides.

**Snatch**: Talonflame often provides great support with Quick Guard and Tailwind, both being susceptible to Snatch, making it difficult to play around opponents with it.

**Quick Guard**: Talonflame's main attack has priority, so Quick Guard completely shuts Talonflame down offensively. Without a partner with Feint or Snatch, there isn't much Talonflame can do to stop this.

**Electric-types**: Pokemon such as Zapdos, Rotom-W, and Thundurus resist Brave Bird and hit back with super effective STAB moves. Zapdos is especially good because it's very bulky and can Roost off any damage Talonflame does to it. Zapdos can also use Tailwind itself to match Talonflame's Tailwind.

Last edited:
So, team options for this thing is probably gonna be pretty long. This thing basically fits on every kind of team, im gonna have to decide what's the most important things worth mentioning.

Also, probably gonna make Choice Band its own set. I feel like I never run into CB talons and i never considered it something that you'd commonly see but it sits at a decent 20something% in usage and it plays pretty differently from nonCB sets so it probably needs to be talked about more.

I feel like I never run into CB talons and i never considered it something that you'd commonly see but it sits at a decent 20something% in usage and it plays pretty differently from nonCB sets so it probably needs to be talked about more.
I've been running a CB Talonflame all season that I stole from last season's #9, so let me know if you need input on that, although it's basically what it says on the tin. It was the same one that I had on top of the Showdown ladder before the reset. Mostly I think it'd just deserve commentary in team options.

I think its safe to say, one of the first team options that come to my mind are wide guard fighting-type Pokemon: Hariyama, Machamp, Hitmontop, Conkeldurr...

Defiant/Competitive Pokemon can discourage Intimidate. Bisharp is a popular choice, and could force opponent's into a tough decision between Earthquake/Rockslide, or a fighting move. Purugly is a less popular option, but still pretty good. For competitive, you've got Milotic.

temp

legacy
is a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Under Checks & Counters, I feel you should put in Quick Guard. While yes, you can Snatch it, it just forces Talonflame to not attack. If you decide to Brave Bird them, it'll get blocked by Quick Guard because of its ability. This can be quite annoying for Talonflame. This coincides with Hariyama, Hitmontop, and Mienshao being mentioned as viable Feint users for Talonflame in the Team Options section.

Under Other Options, I feel you should mention Acrobatics as well. Something like "It has less recoil, but much less damage output. You'll be forced to run no item, so Brave Bird is generally better."

Under Team Options, I feel you should also mention electric types such as Thundurus, Zapdos, or Rotom-Wash to help Talonflame against bulkier water types. Rotom-Wash is the one mon I feel deserves the most mention, being able to check most Rock Slide users as well.

Theorymon

Have a wonderful day, wahoo!
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Not too much to say here, since Talonflame is pretty simple.

-I'd mention in the overview that its frailness and weakness to rock slide can certainly be a problem

-Some other options stuff you might wanna consider: Bulk Up (can let you survive surprise stuff, but super hard to fit in), Acrobatics (No recoil, but it means a weaker Talonflame because of no item + your opponents will see it lacks an item in team preview), Charti Berry (lets you take Rock Slides better)

-When mentioning Trick Room, I'd especially mention that Talonflame can be a huge help against Amoonguss, who's a menace against a lot of Trick Room teams! Hell, its a major reason why I like Talonflame so much on Trick Room :D

-I'd include examples for the bulky water types in checks. So basically: Rotom-W, Suicune, and Milotic. Talonflame isn't a big fan of Water Pulse Mega Blastoise either.

-Talonflame isnt a big fan of electric-types either, granted there aren't nearly as many of those around in triples. Zapdos is pretty nasty, and it isnt a fan of Raikou and Thundurus either even if they aren't that common.

-I'd mention Tyranitar somewhere in checks, probably under Rock Slide.

About Choice Band: Like I said on IRC, I can probably handle that over the weekend. I got a lot on of stuff on my plate, but CB Talonflame is so similar to its VGC self in triples that I can probably just do a few quick edits and that'll be it! I'll just make it a separate thread too, no reason to delay this analysis over that!

QC Approved 1/3

Defiant/Competitive Pokemon can discourage Intimidate. Bisharp is a popular choice, and could force opponent's into a tough decision between Earthquake/Rockslide, or a fighting move. Purugly is a less popular option, but still pretty good. For competitive, you've got Milotic.
Under Checks & Counters, I feel you should put in Quick Guard. While yes, you can Snatch it, it just forces Talonflame to not attack. If you decide to Brave Bird them, it'll get blocked by Quick Guard because of its ability. This can be quite annoying for Talonflame. This coincides with Hariyama, Hitmontop, and Mienshao being mentioned as viable Feint users for Talonflame in the Team Options section.

Under Other Options, I feel you should mention Acrobatics as well. Something like "It has less recoil, but much less damage output. You'll be forced to run no item, so Brave Bird is generally better."

Under Team Options, I feel you should also mention electric types such as Thundurus, Zapdos, or Rotom-Wash to help Talonflame against bulkier water types. Rotom-Wash is the one mon I feel deserves the most mention, being able to check most Rock Slide users as well.
Not too much to say here, since Talonflame is pretty simple.

-I'd mention in the overview that its frailness and weakness to rock slide can certainly be a problem

-Some other options stuff you might wanna consider: Bulk Up (can let you survive surprise stuff, but super hard to fit in), Acrobatics (No recoil, but it means a weaker Talonflame because of no item + your opponents will see it lacks an item in team preview), Charti Berry (lets you take Rock Slides better)

-When mentioning Trick Room, I'd especially mention that Talonflame can be a huge help against Amoonguss, who's a menace against a lot of Trick Room teams! Hell, its a major reason why I like Talonflame so much on Trick Room :D

-I'd include examples for the bulky water types in checks. So basically: Rotom-W, Suicune, and Milotic. Talonflame isn't a big fan of Water Pulse Mega Blastoise either.

-Talonflame isnt a big fan of electric-types either, granted there aren't nearly as many of those around in triples. Zapdos is pretty nasty, and it isnt a fan of Raikou and Thundurus either even if they aren't that common.

-I'd mention Tyranitar somewhere in checks, probably under Rock Slide.

About Choice Band: Like I said on IRC, I can probably handle that over the weekend. I got a lot on of stuff on my plate, but CB Talonflame is so similar to its VGC self in triples that I can probably just do a few quick edits and that'll be it! I'll just make it a separate thread too, no reason to delay this analysis over that!

QC Approved 1/3
Sorry for taking so long to update this, but these changes have been implemented :)
Thanks for the extra help Latios and Aaron

Is this still waiting? School schedule prevented much Pokemon-ing until recently, but I think I can weigh in with the following:

A Choice Band set can fit well on Trick Room or semi-Trick Room teams because it guarantees OHKOs on Amoonguss, and as Trick Room teams are (generally) centered around big spread-move damage (Camerupt, Abomasnow, Blastoise, Sylveon, Heatran, etc.), in triples they can afford one slot to nuke a potential threat.

With that appended to the Choice Band bullet point (otherwise it doesn't really offer a reason to use it), everything else looks good!

QC approved 2/3

this is written up.

Theorymon since this got 2 checks and we moved to the 2 check system, this can go to GP right? regardless i'll let you look over this if you want to add in any last words

amcheck
add
remove
(comments)
AC = add comma
RC = remove comma
[OVERVIEW]
<Insert line break>
Talonflame is a staple Pokemon in the Battle Spot Triples metagame. It provides teams with a good offensive Pokemon with incredible support options. Talonflame has priority Flying-type STAB Brave Bird that can hit any side of the field, no matter what position Talonflame is in. Unlike most other Pokemon, your opponent can't position their Pokemon to avoid Talonflame's (Add apostrophe) attacks. Talonflame is very useful for disrupting opposing strategies and providing your own team with speed control. It has support moves such as Tailwind, Quick Guard and Snatch, all incredibly useful moves to have on a Triples team. Talonflame has a nice Fire / Flying typing as well, giving it some useful resistances to common types such as Fairy and Fire, (RC) and an immunity to Ground. Talonflame can work on almost any kind of team. It's great on offensive teams because it can provide support without being dead weight offensively, (AC) and it's it provides great support good on for balanced teams or Trick Room teams as a fast mode (Is fast mode an official term? If fast mode isn't the official term, it should be rewritten. I'm not sure exactly what's the best way to do it. "...Trick Room teams as speed control" might work?), (RC) and still provides great support. However, Talonflame is very frail and has a crippling 4x weakness to the common Rock Slide, so it can often be hard to keep it alive for more than a few turns.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========
<Insert line break>
Brave Bird is Talonflame's strongest STAB Flying-type move and hits any side of the field regardless of what position it's in. Tailwind provides speed control for your team, (AC) which is often very important in Triples. Thanks to Gale Wings, Talonflame can set up Tailwind very reliably. (Consider merging these two sentences: "Thanks to Gale Wings, Talonflame can set up Tailwind very reliably, providing speed control for your team that is often very important in Triples.") Quick Guard protects your team from various things moves such as Fake Out, Sucker Punches, and opposing Talonflames. Fake Out is an especially important move to block because it's incredibly common in the metagame, and Talonflame conveniently outspeeds every non unboosted user of Fake Out bar Mega-Evolved Mega Lopunny(but Lopunny won't outspeed on the turn it Megas). Snatch is a very useful move in Triples, as it can stop many common moves such as Wide Guard, Quick Guard, Reflect/Light Screen Reflect, (AC) Light Screen, (AC) and Tailwind. Stopping your opponent from using Wide Guard and Quick Guard is especially useful for helping Talonflame's (Add apostrophe) teammates use spread moves or Fake Out. If you don't need Tailwind on Talonflame, or are using it on a Trick Room team, it has many other options it can use. Protect can be used for its general usefulness. Flare Blitz allows you Talonflame to hit Steel-types such as Aegislash. Taunt can help prevent Wide Guard, Trick Room, or other strategies. Will-o-Wisp can be used to cripple many physical attackers such as Kangaskhan. (If you mean Mega Kangaskhan, insert a "Mega" in front of the Kangaskhan.)

Set Details
========
<Insert line break>
A Jolly nature with maximum Speed investment is used to at least speed tie with other Talonflames and allows Talonflame to outspeed Weavile and Quick Guard its Fake Out. 60 EVs in HP help Talonflame live a -1 Rock Slide from Landorus-T. The remaining EVs were are put into attack to get the best damage output possible. Sharp Beak is used to give Talonflame a better offensive presence; (Insert Semicolon), (RC) it is usually used over Life Orb so that Talonflame will have a little less recoil and potentially live a turn or two longer, (AC) and while also allows allowing other teammates to use Life Orb if need be. If you don't mind the extra recoil and want more damage, Life Orb is still a viable option. Gale Wings is an amazing ability, (AC) allowing Talonflame to usually move first, (AC) even against opposing speed control such as Trick Room and Tailwind.

Usage Tips
========
<Insert line break>
Talonflame should utilize its support moves to give your team the biggest advantage possible. If the opposing team doesn't have any way to initially stop your speed control, Tailwind should be used. If the opponent has their own Tailwind setter, you may want to attempt to Snatch it, preventing it and using it for yourself. Snatch should also be used if you have teammates using spread attacks, such as Earthquake and Hyper Voice, against a foe that may have Wide Guard. If you need to get a Fake Out off with one of Talonflame's (Add apostrophe) teammates, Snatch can also be used if you expect your opponent to use Quick Guard. You can also use Talonflame's (Add apostrophe) Quick Guard when you expect opposing Fake Out or other priority moves to come your way. Successfully stopping any Fake Out will usually put a big dent in your opponent's (Add apostrophe) plans. Aside from its great support, Talonflame can use its strong priority attacks to get off good damage, being especially useful in its ability to hit any side of the field. Because of this, you usually want to position Talonflame away from the center to avoid more Pokemon being able to target it. Positioning it away from the center is also nice because Talonflame can use its great natural speed for shifting, shifting which can be very useful for protecting Talonflames teammates from predicted attacks.

Team Options
========
<Insert line break>
Pokemon with spread attacks, such as Earthquake and Heat Wave, really appreciate Talonflame's (Add apostrophe) ability to Snatch away opposing Wide Guard. Pokemon with good spread attacks that work well with Talonflame include, (RC) Sylveon, Landorus-T, Blastoise, (AC) and many more. Talonflame can also use its strong Brave Birds to weaken Pokemon for these spread attacks to clean through the opposing team. Pokemon with Wide Guard, such as Aegislash, Hitmontop and Hariyama, can assist Talonflame by blocking Rock Slide. Hitmontop and Hariyama also appreciate Talonflame's (Add apostrophe) Snatch because it helps them get off Fake Out against Quick Guard users. They can also use Feint to break Quick Guard for Talonflame's (Add apostrophe) Brave Bird. Pokemon with average Speed, such as Mega Blastoise, Sylveon, and Assault Vest Landorus-T, can benefit from Tailwind that Talonflame provides. Trick Room likes having Talonflame as a back up fast mode (Again, double check if that's official language.) and for the support it can provide against Fake Out users that may try to stop Trick Room from going up. Snatch also helps stop Wide Guard, (AC) which normally threatens most strong Trick Room sweepers such as Sylveon, Mega Camerupt, (AC) and Jellicent. Talonflame also deals with Amoonguss well, which can be a major problem for Trick Room teams. Talonflame is very frail, (AC) so Intimidate support is useful to soften some blows. Landorus-T and Hitmontop both offer Intimidate support and synergize well with Talonflame for reasons listed above. Talonflame also hates opposing Intimidate, (AC) so having Bisharp as a partner helps to play against it and discourages your opponent from leading with or bringing in their Intimidate users. Some other viable Defiant/Competitive or Competitive Pokemon to accomplish this with are Milotic and Braviary. Although Braviary stacks quite a bit of weaknesses with Talonflame and functions similarly, having both can quickly wear down the opponent's (Add apostrophe) Flying-type checks. Electric-types such as Zapdos and Rotom-W can help against bulky Water-types that Talonflame struggles with. Rotom-W can easily deal with Landorus-T and can also Snatch away Quick Guards for Talonflame.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============
<Insert line break>
Choice Band makes Talonflame a very strong attacker that can hit any side of the field; (Add semicolon), (RC) it's especially good on Trick Room teams to OHKO Amoonguss, which usually is a pain for Trick Room teams. But Running Choice Band means Talonflame gives up a lot of its support options and becomes much less flexible. Lum Berry can be useful when facing Dark Void Smeargle or Amoonguss. Focus Sash can guarantee Talonflame lives a second turn after setting up Tailwind. Talonflame can be run more defensively, as priority can make up for lack of Speed investment, allowing you to run bulk to patch up Talonflame's (Add apostrophe) frailness. Acrobatics can be used as an alternative to Brave Bird with no recoil, (AC). (Remove period) but it has a much lower damage output and when running no item, your opponent will be able to see that in Team Preview and know what to expect. Charti Berry can be used to allow Talonflame to survive one Rock Slide. Bulk Up can be used to help Talonflame survive some attacks and become very strong, (AC). (Remove period) but it is often hard to find good set up opportunities to use it and is difficult to fit into a moveset. Bulk Up is also susceptible to being taken by opposing Snatch users.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Intimidate**: Talonflame's (Add apostrophe) Attack isn't very impressive to begin with, and after an Attack drop from Intimidate, (AC) Talonflame can really struggle to do significant damage.

**Bulky Water-types**: Water-types such as Mega Blastoise, Politoed, and Jellicent can take Talonfame's hits fairly easily and fire back with super effective STAB moves. Mega Blastoise can also hit Talonflame from any side of the field when running Water Pulse.

**Rock-type Moves**: Talonflame will be KO'd KOed by almost any Rock-type move without Intimidate factor'd factored in. (This is a tad confusing/weird for me, mostly because I don't play this metagame. Is Intimidate common enough this is necessary to note that with it Talonflame will not be KOed?) Landorus-T with Rock Slide is especially common and Intimidates Talonflame as well. Tyranitar takes Brave Birds easily and fires back with powerful STAB Rock Slides.

**Snatch**: Talonflame often provides great support with Guick Quick Guard and Tailwind, both moves being susceptible to Snatch, (AC) making it . It is (Remove the period too. Merge into one sentence.) difficult to play around opponents with it.

**Quick Guard**: Talonflame's (Add apostrophe) main attack has priority, (AC) so Quick Guard completely shuts Talonflame down offensively. Without a partner with Feint or Snatch, (AC) there isn't much Talonflame can do to stop this.

**Electric-types**: Pokemon such as Zapdos, Rotom-W, and Thundurus resist Brave Bird and hit back with super effective STABs moves. Zapdos is especially good because it's very bulky and can Roost off any damage Talonflame does to it. It Zapdos can also use Tailwind itself to match Talonflame's (Add apostrophe) Tailwind.

amcheck
add
remove
(comments)
AC = add comma
RC = remove comma
[OVERVIEW]

Talonflame is a staple Pokemon in the Battle Spot Triples metagame. It provides teams with a good offensive Pokemon with incredible support options. Talonflame has priority Flying-type STAB Brave Bird that can hit any side of the field, no matter what position Talonflame is in. Unlike most other Pokemon, your opponent can't position their Pokemon to avoid Talonflame's attacks. Talonflame is very useful for disrupting opposing strategies and providing your own team with speed control. It has support moves such as Tailwind, Quick Guard and Snatch, all incredibly useful moves to have on a Triples team. Talonflame has a nice Fire / Flying typing as well, giving it some useful resistances to common types such as Fairy and Fire and an immunity to Ground. Talonflame can work on almost any kind of team. It's great on offensive teams because it can provide support without being dead weight offensively, and it provides great support for balanced teams or Trick Room teams as a fast mode. However, Talonflame is very frail and has a crippling 4x weakness to the common Rock Slide, so it can often be hard to keep it alive for more than a few turns.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Talonflame's strongest STAB Flying-type move and hits any side of the field regardless of what position it's in. Thanks to Gale Wings, Talonflame can set up Tailwind very reliably, providing speed control for your team that is often very important in Triples. Quick Guard protects your team from various moves such as Fake Out, Sucker Punch, and opposing Talonflame. Fake Out is an especially important move to block because it's incredibly common in the metagame, and Talonflame conveniently outspeeds every unboosted user of Fake Out bar Mega-Evolved Mega Lopunny. Snatch is a very useful move in Triples, as it can stop many common moves such as Wide Guard, Quick Guard, Reflect, Light Screen, and Tailwind. Stopping your opponent from using Wide Guard and Quick Guard is especially useful for helping Talonflame's teammates use spread moves or Fake Out. If you don't need Tailwind on Talonflame, or are using it on a Trick Room team, it has many other options it can use. Protect can be used for its general usefulness. Flare Blitz allows Talonflame to hit Steel-types such as Aegislash. Taunt can help prevent Wide Guard, Trick Room, or other strategies. Will-o-Wisp can be used to cripple many physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan.

Set Details
========

A Jolly nature with maximum Speed investment is used to at least speed tie with other Talonflame and allows Talonflame to outspeed Weavile and Quick Guard its Fake Out. 60 EVs in HP help Talonflame live a -1 Rock Slide from Landorus-T. The remaining EVs are put into attack to get the best damage output possible. Sharp Beak is used to give Talonflame a better offensive presence; it is usually used over Life Orb so that Talonflame will have a little less recoil and potentially live a turn or two longer, while also allowing other teammates to use Life Orb if need be. If you don't mind the extra recoil and want more damage, Life Orb is still a viable option. Gale Wings is an amazing ability, allowing Talonflame to usually move first, even against opposing speed control such as Trick Room and Tailwind.

Usage Tips
========

Talonflame should utilize its support moves to give your team the biggest advantage possible. If the opposing team doesn't have any way to initially stop your speed control, Tailwind should be used. If the opponent has their own Tailwind setter, you may want to attempt to Snatch it, preventing it and using it for yourself. Snatch should also be used if you have teammates using spread attacks, such as Earthquake and Hyper Voice, against a foe that may have Wide Guard. If you need to get a Fake Out off with one of Talonflame's teammates, Snatch can also be used if you expect your opponent to use Quick Guard. You can also use Talonflame's Quick Guard when you expect opposing Fake Out or other priority moves to come your way. Successfully stopping any Fake Out will usually put a big dent in your opponent's plans. Aside from its great support, Talonflame can use its strong priority attacks to get off good damage, being especially useful in its ability to hit any side of the field. Because of this, you usually want to position Talonflame away from the center to avoid more Pokemon being able to target it. Positioning it away from the center is also nice because Talonflame can use its great natural speed for shifting, which can be very useful for protecting Talonflames teammates from predicted attacks.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with spread attacks, such as Earthquake and Heat Wave, really appreciate Talonflame's ability to Snatch away opposing Wide Guard. Pokemon with good spread attacks that work well with Talonflame include Sylveon, Landorus-T, Blastoise, and many more. Talonflame can also use its strong Brave Birds to weaken Pokemon for these spread attacks to clean through the opposing team. Pokemon with Wide Guard, such as Aegislash, Hitmontop and Hariyama, can assist Talonflame by blocking Rock Slide. Hitmontop and Hariyama also appreciate Talonflame's Snatch because it helps them get off Fake Out against Quick Guard users. They can also use Feint to break Quick Guard for Talonflame's Brave Bird. Pokemon with average Speed, such as Mega Blastoise, Sylveon, and Assault Vest Landorus-T, can benefit from Tailwind that Talonflame provides. Trick Room likes having Talonflame as a back up fast mode and for the support it can provide against Fake Out users that may try to stop Trick Room from going up. Snatch also helps stop Wide Guard, which normally threatens most strong Trick Room sweepers such as Sylveon, Mega Camerupt, and Jellicent. Talonflame also deals with Amoonguss well, which can be a major problem for Trick Room teams. Talonflame is very frail, so Intimidate support is useful to soften some blows. Landorus-T and Hitmontop both offer Intimidate support and synergize well with Talonflame for reasons listed above. Talonflame also hates opposing Intimidate, so having Bisharp as a partner helps to play against it and discourages your opponent from leading with or bringing in their Intimidate users. Some other viable Defiant or Competitive Pokemon to accomplish this with are Milotic and Braviary. Although Braviary stacks weaknesses with Talonflame and functions similarly, having both can quickly wear down the opponent's Flying-type checks. Electric-types such as Zapdos and Rotom-W can help against bulky Water-types that Talonflame struggles with. Rotom-W can easily deal with Landorus-T and can also Snatch away Quick Guards for Talonflame.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Choice Band makes Talonflame a very strong attacker that can hit any side of the field; it's especially good on Trick Room teams to OHKO Amoonguss, which usually is a pain. Running Choice Band means Talonflame gives up a lot of its support options and becomes much less flexible. Lum Berry can be useful when facing Dark Void Smeargle or Amoonguss. Focus Sash can guarantee Talonflame lives a second turn after setting up Tailwind. Talonflame can be run more defensively, as priority can make up for lack of Speed investment, allowing you to run bulk to patch up Talonflame's frailness. Acrobatics can be used as an alternative to Brave Bird with no recoil, but it has a much lower damage output and when running no item, your opponent will be able to see that in Team Preview and know what to expect. Charti Berry can be used to allow Talonflame to survive one Rock Slide. Bulk Up can be used to help Talonflame survive some attacks and become very strong, but it is often hard to find good set up opportunities to use it and is difficult to fit into a moveset. Bulk Up is also susceptible to being taken by opposing Snatch users.

Checks and Counters
===================

**Intimidate**: Talonflame's Attack isn't very impressive to begin with, and after an Attack drop from Intimidate, Talonflame can really struggle to do significant damage.

**Rock-type Moves**: Talonflame will be KOed by almost any Rock-type move without Intimidate factored in. Landorus-T with Rock Slide is especially common and Intimidates Talonflame as well. Tyranitar takes Brave Birds easily and fires back with powerful STAB Rock Slides.

**Snatch**: Talonflame often provides great support with Quick Guard and Tailwind, both being susceptible to Snatch, making it difficult to play around opponents with it.

**Quick Guard**: Talonflame's main attack has priority, so Quick Guard completely shuts Talonflame down offensively. Without a partner with Feint or Snatch, there isn't much Talonflame can do to stop this.

**Electric-types**: Pokemon such as Zapdos, Rotom-W, and Thundurus resist Brave Bird and hit back with super effective STAB moves. Zapdos is especially good because it's very bulky and can Roost off any damage Talonflame does to it. Zapdos can also use Tailwind itself to match Talonflame's Tailwind.
thanks, made these changes

i agree that "fast mode" isn't the right thing to say, but im not sure what to replace it with. "speed control" isn't really the same thing and wouldn't work imo. for now im just keeping it as fast mode until a GP member gives a better suggestion or until i think of something better.

and about intimidate, its basically on almost every team in triples, like even more so than it is in doubles. i think it's very relevant but if GP feels it shouldn't be in there i'll take it out.

thanks, made these changes

i agree that "fast mode" isn't the right thing to say, but im not sure what to replace it with. "speed control" isn't really the same thing and wouldn't work imo. for now im just keeping it as fast mode until a GP member gives a better suggestion or until i think of something better.

and about intimidate, its basically on almost every team in triples, like even more so than it is in doubles. i think it's very relevant but if GP feels it shouldn't be in there i'll take it out.
If Intimidate is very common, leaving it there is fine. I only questioned it due to my own lack of knowledge in the metagame. I think it's fine to keep it if it's relevant!

P Squared

a great unrecorded history
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
GP 1/2
i don't really know of a good term to use over "fast mode" either :x
didn't have much more after Eien's amcheck, nice work :]
[OVERVIEW]

(almost all of these sentences start with "Talonflame is" so I tried to alleviate that)

Talonflame is a staple Pokemon in the Battle Spot Triples metagame. It that provides teams with a good offensive Pokemon with incredible support options. Talonflame It has priority Flying-type ("STAB" is sufficient imo, readers should know that Brave Bird isn't a Fire-type move) STAB Brave Bird that can hit any side of the field, no matter what position Talonflame is in; this means that unlike against most other Pokemon, your opponent can't position their Pokemon to avoid Talonflame's attacks. Talonflame is very useful for disrupting opposing strategies and providing your own team with speed control. It has support moves such as Tailwind, Quick Guard and Snatch, all incredibly useful moves to have on a Triples team. Talonflame has a nice Fire / Flying typing as well, giving it some useful resistances to common types such as Fairy and Fire and an immunity to Ground. Furthermore, Talonflame can work on almost any kind of team: it's great on offensive teams because it can provide support without being dead weight offensively, and it provides great support for balanced teams or Trick Room teams as a fast mode. However, Talonflame is very frail and has a crippling 4x weakness to the common Rock Slide, so it can often be hard to keep it alive for more than a few turns.
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Talonflame's strongest STAB Flying-type move and hits any side of the field regardless of what position it's in. Thanks to Gale Wings, Talonflame can set up Tailwind very reliably, providing speed control for your team
, which that is often very important in Triples. Quick Guard protects your team from various moves such as Fake Out, Sucker Punch, and Flying-type attacks from (Talonflame isn't a move) opposing Talonflame. Fake Out is an especially important move to block because it's incredibly common in the metagame, and Talonflame conveniently outspeeds every unboosted user of Fake Out bar Mega-Evolved Mega Lopunny. Snatch is a very useful move in Triples, as it can stop many common moves such as Wide Guard, Quick Guard, Reflect, Light Screen, and Tailwind. Stopping your opponent from using Wide Guard and Quick Guard is especially useful for helping Talonflame's teammates use spread moves or Fake Out. If you don't need Tailwind on Talonflame, or are using it on a Trick Room team, it has many other options it can use. Protect can be used for its general usefulness. Flare Blitz allows Talonflame to hit Steel-types such as Aegislash. Taunt can help prevent Wide Guard, Trick Room, or and other strategies. Will-O-Wisp can be used to cripple many physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan.
Set Details
========

A Jolly nature with maximum Speed investment is used to at least Speed tie with other Talonflame and allows Talonflame to outspeed Weavile and Quick Guard its Fake Out. 60 EVs in HP help Talonflame live survive a -1 Rock Slide from Landorus-T. The remaining EVs are put into Attack to get the best damage output possible. Sharp Beak is used to give Talonflame a better offensive presence; it is usually used over Life Orb so that Talonflame will have a little less recoil and potentially live survive a turn or two longer, as well as while also allowing another teammates to use Life Orb if need be. If you don't mind the extra recoil and want more damage, Life Orb is still a viable option. Gale Wings is an amazing ability, allowing Talonflame to usually move first, even against opposing speed control such as Trick Room and Tailwind.

Usage Tips
========

Talonflame should utilize its support moves to give your team the biggest advantage possible. If the opposing team doesn't have any way to initially stop your speed control, Tailwind should be used. If the opponent has their own Tailwind setter, you may want to attempt to Snatch it, preventing it and using it for yourself. Snatch should also be used if you have teammates using spread attacks, such as Earthquake and Hyper Voice, against a foe that may have Wide Guard. If you need to get a Fake Out off with one of Talonflame's teammates, Snatch can also be used if you expect your opponent to use Quick Guard. You can also use Talonflame's Quick Guard when you expect opposing Fake Out or other priority moves to come your way. Successfully stopping any Fake Out will usually put a big dent in your opponent's plans. Aside from its great support, Talonflame can use its strong priority attacks to get off good damage, being especially useful in for its ability to hit any side of the field. Because of this, you usually want to position Talonflame away from the center to avoid more Pokemon being able to target it. Positioning it away from the center is also nice because Talonflame can use its great natural speed for shifting, which can be very useful for protecting Talonflame's teammates from predicted attacks.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with spread attacks, such as Earthquake and Heat Wave, really appreciate Talonflame's ability to Snatch away opposing Wide Guard. Pokemon with good spread attacks that work well with Talonflame include Sylveon, Landorus-T, Blastoise, and many more. Talonflame can also use its strong Brave Birds to weaken Pokemon for these spread attacks to clean through the opposing team. Pokemon with Wide Guard, such as Aegislash, Hitmontop and Hariyama, can assist Talonflame by blocking Rock Slide. Hitmontop and Hariyama also appreciate Talonflame's Snatch because it helps them get off Fake Out against Quick Guard users. They can also use Feint to break Quick Guard for Talonflame's Brave Bird. Pokemon with average Speed, such as Mega Blastoise, Sylveon, and Assault Vest Landorus-T, can benefit from the Tailwind that Talonflame provides. Trick Room teams likes having Talonflame as a backup fast mode and for the support it can provide against Fake Out users that may try to stop Trick Room from going up. Snatch also helps stop Wide Guard, which normally threatens most strong Trick Room sweepers such as Sylveon, Mega Camerupt, and Jellicent. Talonflame also deals with Amoonguss well, which can be a major problem for Trick Room teams. Talonflame is very frail, so Intimidate support is useful to soften some blows. Landorus-T and Hitmontop both offer Intimidate support and synergize well with Talonflame for reasons listed above. Talonflame also hates opposing Intimidate, so having Bisharp as a partner helps to play against it and discourages your opponent from leading with or bringing in their Intimidate users. Some other viable Defiant or Competitive Pokemon to accomplish this with are Milotic and Braviary. Although Braviary stacks weaknesses with Talonflame and functions similarly, having both can quickly wear down the opponent's Flying-type checks. Electric-types such as Zapdos and Rotom-W can help against bulky Water-types that Talonflame struggles with. Rotom-W can easily deal with Landorus-T and can also Snatch away Quick Guards for Talonflame.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Choice Band makes Talonflame a very strong attacker that can hit any side of the field; it's especially good on Trick Room teams to OHKO Amoonguss, which usually is a pain. Running Choice Band means Talonflame gives up a lot of its support options and becomes much less flexible. Lum Berry can be useful when facing Dark Void Smeargle or Amoonguss. Focus Sash can guarantee Talonflame lives survives a second turn after setting up Tailwind. Talonflame can be run more defensively, as priority can make up for lack of Speed investment, allowing you to run bulk to patch up Talonflame's frailty frailness. Acrobatics can be used as an alternative to Brave Bird with no recoil, but it has a much lower damage output and when running no item, your opponent will be able to see Talonflame's lack of item that in Team Preview and know what to expect. Charti Berry can be used to allow Talonflame to survive one Rock Slide. Bulk Up can be used to help Talonflame survive some attacks and become very strong, but it is often hard to find good setup opportunities to use it and it is difficult to fit into a moveset. Bulk Up is also susceptible to being taken by opposing Snatch users.

Checks and Counters
===================

Last edited:
GP 1/2
i don't really know of a good term to use over "fast mode" either :x
didn't have much more after Eien's amcheck, nice work :]
[OVERVIEW]

(almost all of these sentences start with "Talonflame is" so I tried to alleviate that)

Talonflame is a staple Pokemon in the Battle Spot Triples metagame. It that provides teams with a good offensive Pokemon with incredible support options. Talonflame It has priority Flying-type ("STAB" is sufficient imo, readers should know that Brave Bird isn't a Fire-type move) STAB Brave Bird that can hit any side of the field, no matter what position Talonflame is in; this means that unlike against most other Pokemon, your opponent can't position their Pokemon to avoid Talonflame's attacks. Talonflame is very useful for disrupting opposing strategies and providing your own team with speed control. It has support moves such as Tailwind, Quick Guard and Snatch, all incredibly useful moves to have on a Triples team. Talonflame has a nice Fire / Flying typing as well, giving it some useful resistances to common types such as Fairy and Fire and an immunity to Ground. Furthermore, Talonflame can work on almost any kind of team: it's great on offensive teams because it can provide support without being dead weight offensively, and it provides great support for balanced teams or Trick Room teams as a fast mode. However, Talonflame is very frail and has a crippling 4x weakness to the common Rock Slide, so it can often be hard to keep it alive for more than a few turns.
[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Talonflame's strongest STAB Flying-type move and hits any side of the field regardless of what position it's in. Thanks to Gale Wings, Talonflame can set up Tailwind very reliably, providing speed control for your team
, which that is often very important in Triples. Quick Guard protects your team from various moves such as Fake Out, Sucker Punch, and Flying-type attacks from (Talonflame isn't a move) opposing Talonflame. Fake Out is an especially important move to block because it's incredibly common in the metagame, and Talonflame conveniently outspeeds every unboosted user of Fake Out bar Mega-Evolved Mega Lopunny. Snatch is a very useful move in Triples, as it can stop many common moves such as Wide Guard, Quick Guard, Reflect, Light Screen, and Tailwind. Stopping your opponent from using Wide Guard and Quick Guard is especially useful for helping Talonflame's teammates use spread moves or Fake Out. If you don't need Tailwind on Talonflame, or are using it on a Trick Room team, it has many other options it can use. Protect can be used for its general usefulness. Flare Blitz allows Talonflame to hit Steel-types such as Aegislash. Taunt can help prevent Wide Guard, Trick Room, or and other strategies. Will-O-Wisp can be used to cripple many physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan.
Set Details
========

A Jolly nature with maximum Speed investment is used to at least Speed tie with other Talonflame and allows Talonflame to outspeed Weavile and Quick Guard its Fake Out. 60 EVs in HP help Talonflame live survive a -1 Rock Slide from Landorus-T. The remaining EVs are put into Attack to get the best damage output possible. Sharp Beak is used to give Talonflame a better offensive presence; it is usually used over Life Orb so that Talonflame will have a little less recoil and potentially live survive a turn or two longer, as well as while also allowing another teammates to use Life Orb if need be. If you don't mind the extra recoil and want more damage, Life Orb is still a viable option. Gale Wings is an amazing ability, allowing Talonflame to usually move first, even against opposing speed control such as Trick Room and Tailwind.

Usage Tips
========

Talonflame should utilize its support moves to give your team the biggest advantage possible. If the opposing team doesn't have any way to initially stop your speed control, Tailwind should be used. If the opponent has their own Tailwind setter, you may want to attempt to Snatch it, preventing it and using it for yourself. Snatch should also be used if you have teammates using spread attacks, such as Earthquake and Hyper Voice, against a foe that may have Wide Guard. If you need to get a Fake Out off with one of Talonflame's teammates, Snatch can also be used if you expect your opponent to use Quick Guard. You can also use Talonflame's Quick Guard when you expect opposing Fake Out or other priority moves to come your way. Successfully stopping any Fake Out will usually put a big dent in your opponent's plans. Aside from its great support, Talonflame can use its strong priority attacks to get off good damage, being especially useful in for its ability to hit any side of the field. Because of this, you usually want to position Talonflame away from the center to avoid more Pokemon being able to target it. Positioning it away from the center is also nice because Talonflame can use its great natural speed for shifting, which can be very useful for protecting Talonflame's teammates from predicted attacks.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with spread attacks, such as Earthquake and Heat Wave, really appreciate Talonflame's ability to Snatch away opposing Wide Guard. Pokemon with good spread attacks that work well with Talonflame include Sylveon, Landorus-T, Blastoise, and many more. Talonflame can also use its strong Brave Birds to weaken Pokemon for these spread attacks to clean through the opposing team. Pokemon with Wide Guard, such as Aegislash, Hitmontop and Hariyama, can assist Talonflame by blocking Rock Slide. Hitmontop and Hariyama also appreciate Talonflame's Snatch because it helps them get off Fake Out against Quick Guard users. They can also use Feint to break Quick Guard for Talonflame's Brave Bird. Pokemon with average Speed, such as Mega Blastoise, Sylveon, and Assault Vest Landorus-T, can benefit from the Tailwind that Talonflame provides. Trick Room teams likes having Talonflame as a backup fast mode and for the support it can provide against Fake Out users that may try to stop Trick Room from going up. Snatch also helps stop Wide Guard, which normally threatens most strong Trick Room sweepers such as Sylveon, Mega Camerupt, and Jellicent. Talonflame also deals with Amoonguss well, which can be a major problem for Trick Room teams. Talonflame is very frail, so Intimidate support is useful to soften some blows. Landorus-T and Hitmontop both offer Intimidate support and synergize well with Talonflame for reasons listed above. Talonflame also hates opposing Intimidate, so having Bisharp as a partner helps to play against it and discourages your opponent from leading with or bringing in their Intimidate users. Some other viable Defiant or Competitive Pokemon to accomplish this with are Milotic and Braviary. Although Braviary stacks weaknesses with Talonflame and functions similarly, having both can quickly wear down the opponent's Flying-type checks. Electric-types such as Zapdos and Rotom-W can help against bulky Water-types that Talonflame struggles with. Rotom-W can easily deal with Landorus-T and can also Snatch away Quick Guards for Talonflame.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Choice Band makes Talonflame a very strong attacker that can hit any side of the field; it's especially good on Trick Room teams to OHKO Amoonguss, which usually is a pain. Running Choice Band means Talonflame gives up a lot of its support options and becomes much less flexible. Lum Berry can be useful when facing Dark Void Smeargle or Amoonguss. Focus Sash can guarantee Talonflame lives survives a second turn after setting up Tailwind. Talonflame can be run more defensively, as priority can make up for lack of Speed investment, allowing you to run bulk to patch up Talonflame's frailty frailness. Acrobatics can be used as an alternative to Brave Bird with no recoil, but it has a much lower damage output and when running no item, your opponent will be able to see Talonflame's lack of item that in Team Preview and know what to expect. Charti Berry can be used to allow Talonflame to survive one Rock Slide. Bulk Up can be used to help Talonflame survive some attacks and become very strong, but it is often hard to find good setup opportunities to use it and it is difficult to fit into a moveset. Bulk Up is also susceptible to being taken by opposing Snatch users.

Checks and Counters
===================

thanks! this is done

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
NOVED

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]

Talonflame is a staple Pokemon in the Battle Spot Triples metagame that provides teams with a good offensive Pokemon with incredible support options. It has priority STAB Brave Bird that can hit any side of the field, no matter what position Talonflame is in; this means that unlike against most other Pokemon, your opponent can't position their Pokemon to avoid Talonflame's attacks. Talonflame is very useful for disrupting opposing strategies and providing your own team with speed control. It has support moves such as Tailwind, Quick Guard, (AC) and Snatch, all incredibly useful moves to have on a Triples team. Talonflame has a nice Fire / Flying typing as well, giving it some useful resistances to common types such as Fairy and Fire and an immunity to Ground. Furthermore, Talonflame can work on almost any kind of team: it's great on offensive teams because it can provide support without being dead weight offensively, and it provides great support for balanced teams or Trick Room teams as a fast mode backup attacker. However, Talonflame is very frail and has a crippling 4x weakness to the common Rock Slide, so it can often be hard to keep it alive in the fight for more than a few turns.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Talonflame's strongest STAB Flying-type move and hits any side of the field regardless of what position it's in. Thanks to Gale Wings, Talonflame can set up Tailwind very reliably, providing speed control for your team, which is often very important in Triples. Quick Guard protects your team from various moves such as Fake Out, Sucker Punch, and Flying-type attacks from opposing Talonflame. Fake Out is an especially important move to block because it's incredibly common in the metagame, and Talonflame conveniently outspeeds every unboosted user of Fake Out bar Mega-Evolved Mega Lopunny. Snatch is a very useful move in Triples, as it can stop many common moves such as Wide Guard, Quick Guard, Reflect, Light Screen, and Tailwind. Stopping your opponent from using Wide Guard and Quick Guard is especially useful for helping Talonflame's teammates use spread moves or Fake Out. If you don't need Tailwind on Talonflame, or are using it on a Trick Room team, it has many other options it can use. Protect can be used for stalling Trick Room and keeping Talonflame on the field for another crucial turn of support its general usefulness. Flare Blitz allows Talonflame to hit Steel-types such as Aegislash. Taunt can help prevent Wide Guard, Trick Room, and other strategies. Will-O-Wisp can be used to cripple many physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan.

Set Details
========

A Jolly nature with maximum Speed investment is used to at least Speed tie with other Talonflame and allows Talonflame to outspeed Weavile and Quick Guard its Fake Out. 60 EVs in HP help Talonflame survive a -1 Rock Slide from Landorus-T. The remaining EVs are put into Attack to get the best damage output possible. Sharp Beak is used to give Talonflame a better offensive presence; it is usually used over Life Orb so that Talonflame will have a little less recoil and potentially survive a turn or two longer, as well as allowing another teammate to use Life Orb if need be. If you don't mind the extra recoil and want more damage, Life Orb is still a viable option. Gale Wings is an amazing ability, allowing Talonflame to usually move first, even against opposing speed control such as Trick Room and Tailwind.

Usage Tips
========

Talonflame should utilize its support moves to give your team the biggest advantage possible. If the opposing team doesn't have any way to initially stop your speed control, Tailwind should be used. If the opponent has their own Tailwind setter, you may might want to attempt to Snatch it, preventing it and using it for yourself. Snatch should also be used if you have teammates using spread attacks, such as Earthquake and Hyper Voice, against a foe that may might have Wide Guard. If you need to get a Fake Out off with one of Talonflame's teammates, Snatch can also be used if you expect your opponent to use Quick Guard. You can also use Talonflame's Quick Guard when you expect opposing Fake Out or other priority moves to come your way. Successfully stopping any Fake Out will usually put a big dent in your opponent's plans. Aside from its great support, Talonflame can use its strong priority attacks to get off good damage, being especially useful for its ability to hit any side of the field. Because of this, you usually want to position Talonflame away from the center to avoid more Pokemon being able to target it. Positioning it away from the center is also nice because Talonflame can use its great natural Speed for shifting, which can be very useful for protecting Talonflame's teammates from predicted attacks.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with spread attacks, such as Earthquake and Heat Wave, really appreciate Talonflame's ability to Snatch away opposing Wide Guard. Pokemon with good spread attacks that work well with Talonflame include Sylveon, Landorus-T, Blastoise, and many more. Talonflame can also use its strong Brave Birds to weaken Pokemon for these spread attacks to clean through the opposing team. Pokemon with Wide Guard, such as Aegislash, Hitmontop, (AC) and Hariyama, can assist Talonflame by blocking Rock Slide. Hitmontop and Hariyama also appreciate Talonflame's Snatch because it helps them get off Fake Out against Quick Guard users. They can also use Feint to break Quick Guard for Talonflame's Brave Bird. Pokemon with average Speed, such as Mega Blastoise, Sylveon, and Assault Vest Landorus-T, can benefit from the Tailwind that Talonflame provides. Trick Room teams like having Talonflame as a backup fast attacker mode and for the support it can provide against Fake Out users that may try to stop Trick Room from going up. Snatch also helps stop Wide Guard, which normally threatens most strong Trick Room sweepers such as Sylveon, Mega Camerupt, and Jellicent. Talonflame also deals with Amoonguss well, which can be a major problem for Trick Room teams. Talonflame is very frail, so Intimidate support is useful to soften some blows. Landorus-T and Hitmontop both offer Intimidate support and synergize well with Talonflame for reasons listed above. Talonflame also hates opposing Intimidate, so having Bisharp as a partner helps to play against it and discourages your opponent from leading with or bringing in their Intimidate users. Some other viable Defiant or Competitive Pokemon to accomplish this with are Milotic and Braviary. Although Braviary stacks weaknesses with Talonflame and functions similarly, having both can quickly wear down the opponent's Flying-type checks. Electric-types such as Zapdos and Rotom-W can help against bulky Water-types that Talonflame struggles with. Rotom-W can easily deal with Landorus-T and can also Snatch away Quick Guards for Talonflame.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Choice Band makes Talonflame a very strong attacker that can hit any side of the field; it's especially good on Trick Room teams to OHKO Amoonguss, which usually is a pain. Running Choice Band means Talonflame gives up a lot of its support options and becomes much less flexible. Lum Berry can be useful when facing Dark Void Smeargle or Amoonguss. Focus Sash can guarantee Talonflame survives a second turn after setting up Tailwind. Talonflame can be run more defensively, as priority can make up for lack of Speed investment, allowing you to run bulk to patch up Talonflame's frailty. Acrobatics can be used as an alternative to Brave Bird with no recoil, but it has a much lower damage output and your opponent will be able to see Talonflame's lack of item in Team Preview and know what to expect. Charti Berry can be used to allow Talonflame to survive one Rock Slide. Bulk Up can be used to help Talonflame survive some attacks and become very strong, but it is often hard to find good setup opportunities and it is difficult to fit into a moveset. Bulk Up is also susceptible to being taken by opposing Snatch users.

Checks and Counters
===================

2/2

Last edited:
NOVED

REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[OVERVIEW]

Talonflame is a staple Pokemon in the Battle Spot Triples metagame that provides teams with a good offensive Pokemon with incredible support options. It has priority STAB Brave Bird that can hit any side of the field, no matter what position Talonflame is in; this means that unlike against most other Pokemon, your opponent can't position their Pokemon to avoid Talonflame's attacks. Talonflame is very useful for disrupting opposing strategies and providing your own team with speed control. It has support moves such as Tailwind, Quick Guard, (AC) and Snatch, all incredibly useful moves to have on a Triples team. Talonflame has a nice Fire / Flying typing as well, giving it some useful resistances to common types such as Fairy and Fire and an immunity to Ground. Furthermore, Talonflame can work on almost any kind of team: it's great on offensive teams because it can provide support without being dead weight offensively, and it provides great support for balanced teams or Trick Room teams as a fast mode backup attacker. However, Talonflame is very frail and has a crippling 4x weakness to the common Rock Slide, so it can often be hard to keep it alive in the fight for more than a few turns.

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
Moves
========

Brave Bird is Talonflame's strongest STAB Flying-type move and hits any side of the field regardless of what position it's in. Thanks to Gale Wings, Talonflame can set up Tailwind very reliably, providing speed control for your team, which is often very important in Triples. Quick Guard protects your team from various moves such as Fake Out, Sucker Punch, and Flying-type attacks from opposing Talonflame. Fake Out is an especially important move to block because it's incredibly common in the metagame, and Talonflame conveniently outspeeds every unboosted user of Fake Out bar Mega-Evolved Mega Lopunny. Snatch is a very useful move in Triples, as it can stop many common moves such as Wide Guard, Quick Guard, Reflect, Light Screen, and Tailwind. Stopping your opponent from using Wide Guard and Quick Guard is especially useful for helping Talonflame's teammates use spread moves or Fake Out. If you don't need Tailwind on Talonflame, or are using it on a Trick Room team, it has many other options it can use. Protect can be used for stalling Trick Room and keeping Talonflame on the field for another crucial turn of support its general usefulness. Flare Blitz allows Talonflame to hit Steel-types such as Aegislash. Taunt can help prevent Wide Guard, Trick Room, and other strategies. Will-O-Wisp can be used to cripple many physical attackers such as Mega Kangaskhan.

Set Details
========

Usage Tips
========

Talonflame should utilize its support moves to give your team the biggest advantage possible. If the opposing team doesn't have any way to initially stop your speed control, Tailwind should be used. If the opponent has their own Tailwind setter, you may might want to attempt to Snatch it, preventing it and using it for yourself. Snatch should also be used if you have teammates using spread attacks, such as Earthquake and Hyper Voice, against a foe that may might have Wide Guard. If you need to get a Fake Out off with one of Talonflame's teammates, Snatch can also be used if you expect your opponent to use Quick Guard. You can also use Talonflame's Quick Guard when you expect opposing Fake Out or other priority moves to come your way. Successfully stopping any Fake Out will usually put a big dent in your opponent's plans. Aside from its great support, Talonflame can use its strong priority attacks to get off good damage, being especially useful for its ability to hit any side of the field. Because of this, you usually want to position Talonflame away from the center to avoid more Pokemon being able to target it. Positioning it away from the center is also nice because Talonflame can use its great natural Speed for shifting, which can be very useful for protecting Talonflame's teammates from predicted attacks.

Team Options
========

Pokemon with spread attacks, such as Earthquake and Heat Wave, really appreciate Talonflame's ability to Snatch away opposing Wide Guard. Pokemon with good spread attacks that work well with Talonflame include Sylveon, Landorus-T, Blastoise, and many more. Talonflame can also use its strong Brave Birds to weaken Pokemon for these spread attacks to clean through the opposing team. Pokemon with Wide Guard, such as Aegislash, Hitmontop, (AC) and Hariyama, can assist Talonflame by blocking Rock Slide. Hitmontop and Hariyama also appreciate Talonflame's Snatch because it helps them get off Fake Out against Quick Guard users. They can also use Feint to break Quick Guard for Talonflame's Brave Bird. Pokemon with average Speed, such as Mega Blastoise, Sylveon, and Assault Vest Landorus-T, can benefit from the Tailwind that Talonflame provides. Trick Room teams like having Talonflame as a backup fast attacker mode and for the support it can provide against Fake Out users that may try to stop Trick Room from going up. Snatch also helps stop Wide Guard, which normally threatens most strong Trick Room sweepers such as Sylveon, Mega Camerupt, and Jellicent. Talonflame also deals with Amoonguss well, which can be a major problem for Trick Room teams. Talonflame is very frail, so Intimidate support is useful to soften some blows. Landorus-T and Hitmontop both offer Intimidate support and synergize well with Talonflame for reasons listed above. Talonflame also hates opposing Intimidate, so having Bisharp as a partner helps to play against it and discourages your opponent from leading with or bringing in their Intimidate users. Some other viable Defiant or Competitive Pokemon to accomplish this with are Milotic and Braviary. Although Braviary stacks weaknesses with Talonflame and functions similarly, having both can quickly wear down the opponent's Flying-type checks. Electric-types such as Zapdos and Rotom-W can help against bulky Water-types that Talonflame struggles with. Rotom-W can easily deal with Landorus-T and can also Snatch away Quick Guards for Talonflame.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Checks and Counters
===================

2/2
awesome, this is done. thanks for doing both my things.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)