ORAS UU Tang/Lax Balance

Pak

fly higher
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
What's up guys and welcome to my first ever RMT! The team I picked is built around the defensive core of Tangrowth and Snorlax and this is the seventh team to date I've made featuring this duo. I recently used this new version in my UU Open match against Sweep in the battle that I won. Other than testing that is the only time I really used this team, but I have played with very similar teams in the past. Some tips to improve the squad would be much appreciated.

Sets and Teambuilding Thought Process

Snorlax @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 144 HP / 188 Def / 168 SpD / 8 Spe
Careful Nature
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Rest

The mon is decided to build the team around for the most part is Snorlax. The positives of this pokemon include walling a decent amount of the meta, being an Entei switch in while being a special wall simultaneously, and being a great win condition. I went with the standard ev spread but with an extra 8 speed in order avoid potential speed ties. I also decided to go with earthquake over sleep talk due to the fact that there is a cleric on the team in Florges that can wake it up if need be, and the extra coverage is nice to help hit mons such as Chandelure, Lucario, Darmanitan, Cobalion, Nidos, etc. The team around this monster is mainly crafted to pull off a sweep.

Tangrowth @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Sleep Powder

The first partner I chose for Snorlax is Tangrowth. Tangrowth with its 100/125 physical bulk is an absolute monster eating up almost every physical hit thrown in its direction. The role of this mon is take on the physical type attackers that threaten lax such as Cobalion, physical Lucario, physical Salamence, Mienshao, Machamp, Sharpedo, Feraligatr, Krookodile, Mega Swampert, etc. I chose to go with leaf storm over the usual giga drain because it can OHKO Feraligatr and hit the many bulky waters of the tier as hard as possible. Knock off is nice as nothing necessarily enjoys losing their item barring Megas. Earthquake is meant to hit Cobalion and Lucario, two big threats to the team harder, as well as fire types on switch in. Sleep powder is a must for bulky Tangrowth sets as it completely neutralizes one opposing pokemon for at least one turn assuming it hits. Its overall physical bulk and resilience because of its ability regenerator made Tangrowth an ideal partner for the star of the team, Snorlax.

Florges @ Leftovers
Ability: Flower Veil
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Calm Mind
- Synthesis
- Aromatherapy

Another great bulky compliment to Snorlax is everyone's favorite UU flower, Florges. Florges is able to wall huge threats in Hydreigon, Salamence, and Heracross that the rest of the defensive core can struggle with. While Snorlax can wall Hydreigon in theory, taunt is a huge problem as if Snorlax switches in on a draco, it usually has to rest right after. Heracross can hit both Tang and Lax with super effective stab moves and Florges can absorb both. Another positive of adding this bulky fairy type is it can cure the others of status ailments. Snorlax without sleep talk does not enjoy being asleep and Tangrowth definitely doesn't appreciate being burned or toxic'd. None of the other members of the team really need wish support as the other walls have their own ways of recovery so I decided on a calm mind variant. This way if a Snorlax sweep is unobtainable, I'd have a back up wincon.

Cobalion @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Iron Head
- Volt Switch/Swords Dance
- Stealth Rock

The first offensive mon I chose to add was the rising star Cobalion. I needed something that could set up rocks and check huge threats in Mega Beedrill and Mamoswine and Cobalion fit the role perfectly. It can also help handle opposing Snorlax. The moves are the obvious dual stab combo, sd or volt switch depending on preference, and of course rocks. This also gave me a way to beat SD Lucario as it outspeeds and resists its priority moves in extremespeed and bullet punch with physical Lucario being a huge threat to Snorlax.

Salamence @ Life Orb
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast
- Roost
- Defog

The next pokemon is a special attacking defog Salamence. Salamence serves as a much needed hazard remover which is vital for a bulkier team like this as well as another fighting check, more specifically Infernape. It also provides some much needed offensive pressure and presence for a somewhat passive team so far. Not to mention with its ability intimidate it can help Tangrowth and Florges with the physical attackers that can threaten Snorlax. Mence just seemed like an ideal fit with these positive attributes.

Nidoqueen @ Life Orb
Ability: Sheer Force
EVs: 40 HP / 252 SpA / 216 Spe
Modest Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Earth Power
- Ice Beam
- Toxic Spikes

The final mon on the team is Nidoqueen. I realized the team as a whole was somewhat weak to voltturn and Nidoqueen obviously resists both moves. Another attribute Nidoqueen has access to is toxic spikes. Toxic spikes are great for a bulkier team like this as it continuously wears down the opposing team to the point that Snorlax can clean up. It can also switch in on the fairies Mence cannot handle itself to go with a great offensive presence.

UU Open Replay

Threat List
Reuniclus is definitely the biggest threat to the team as my only real way of beating CM is by setting up before it can with my Snorlax.

The only real way of beating Special Lucario on this team after set up is by revenging with Salamence as it beats the entire defensive core with the right moves.

Cobalion is there primarily to stop this monster but if it happens to be gone, the only way of stopping Mamoswine is a set up Snorlax.

Infernape is also a huge threat to the team. Snorlax serves as the main fire check but obviously Infernape has fighting stab as well. Mence is the only real way to handle it, making it fairly pressured when ape is on the opposing team.

Shoutouts
This is going to be a a lot but here goes. UU room friends: Shiba, R0ady, iWanka, Thisbemyalt, iderpy, LessThanThreeMan, Cactrune, DaSpoofy, sniperaim, teal6, LeoLancaster, Serperior for Uber, DrReuniclus, Hogg, YABO, Pinkin Lark, Bhris Brown, Tipsy Russian, Christo The Gr8, NV. I know for sure i forgot some people lel so sorry if I did.

Importable

Adaam

إسمي جف
is a Community Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Grand Slam Winner
Cool team Pak. My one suggestion would be replacing Florges with Nasty Plot Slowking. Slowking would help with all your threats since it resists the STABs of Luc, Infernape, and Reuniclus. With NP you can out boost Reuniclus and kill it. Dragon tail is also possible but imo I wouldn't use it because you don't have much that 1v1s it. I understand this makes you weaker to a Hera and Hydra, so lefties on Cobalion can help it check Hydra more. Colbur can be used to mitigate knock off weakness from things like Mamo + lures Krook. Maybe a set of NP + Dual Stabs or ice beam for hydra + slack off? Gl with the team

Reactions: Pak

Pak

fly higher
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Cool team Pak. My one suggestion would be replacing Florges with Nasty Plot Slowking. Slowking would help with all your threats since it resists the STABs of Luc, Infernape, and Reuniclus. With NP you can out boost Reuniclus and kill it. Dragon tail is also possible but imo I wouldn't use it because you don't have much that 1v1s it. I understand this makes you weaker to a Hera and Hydra, so lefties on Cobalion can help it check Hydra more. Colbur can be used to mitigate knock off weakness from things like Mamo + lures Krook. Maybe a set of NP + Dual Stabs or ice beam for hydra + slack off? Gl with the team
Sounds like a cool idea. Will definitely give it a try.

YABO

King Turt
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So I've been wracking my brain to try to find something to put over nidoqueen that would be able to beat NP Luc, maintain Elec Immunity, and reliably beat Florges and the only thing I could come up with was Curse Gastrodon. I'm not sure exactly how much this would affect the overall dynamic of the team since I think it might make things a bit too slow paced with 3 different fat set up mons (possibly change to Wish Florges to accompany this change). I think this change is definitely one looking into though as it helps mildy with Mamo, Infernape, Reun (curse alongside and Psyshock does laughable dmg), and still maintains your volt immunity. I also don't think this particularly hurts your Volt Turn matchup too badly since Rotom-C, the primary volt switcher right now blows away fast Nidoqueen with Leaf Storm anyways. Anyways that's all I've got so best of luck buddy.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpD
Calm Nature
- Curse
- Scald
- Earthquake
- Recover

This is just a sample spread from the Ubers calc that still does some cool stuff like ducking a ko from +2 Aura after all sorts of hazards and I think narrowly dodging a 2hko from LO Hydrei although you have florges for that.

nv

The Lost Age
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Ok time for my rate! Love the team btw.

• First off, I agree with Do A Bibarel's suggestion of Nasty Plot Slowking > Florges as this allows you to outboost Reuniclus and resist 3/4 threatlist mons' STAB moves (like Do A Bibarel said).
  • Secondly, I suggest in conjunction to Slowking change that you go Krookodile > Nidoqueen. This gives you a more solid Reuniclus check while also providing Taunt support (since Cobalion has SR although both can switch those moves and still be effective). It also maintains the Electric immunity you so need. With Krookodile, you could even give a different move to Tangrowth > Knock Off although idk what move lol.
Krookodile @ Dread Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Taunt / Stealth Rock (Taunt on Cobalion in this case)

• Lastly, I suggest Leftovers > Shuca Berry on Cobalion to allow you to better combat Hydreigon and have a form of passive recovery.
Other than that, team looks decent and hope this helps!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)