name: Sub Seed
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Leech Seed
move 3: Stun Spore
move 4: Hidden Power Fire
evs: 236 HP / 216 Def / 56 Spe
Why this deserves to be on-site
- Because we all hate Ferrothorn, and this Tangela loves switching into Ferrothorn.
- After Eviolite Boost Tangela has 330 HP and 528 Def. To put that in perspective, Max attack CB Haxorus using Outrage does 48.1 ~ 56.6%.
- Regenerator allows Tangela to heal 1/3 of its max HP upon switching out, which is highly conducive to the sub-seeding strategy.
- Tangela has several advantages over Tangrowth when running this sub-seed set: (1) Tangela is bulkier than Tangrowth and (2) Tangela is faster than Tangrowth. While 10 additional base speed may not seem like much, it means that Tangela only has to run 56 Speed EVs to outspeed CB Scizor and nail it with HP Fire, whereas Tangrowth would have to use up 136 EVs to achieve that.
- Stun Spore + Leech Seed + Substitute is an incredibly annoying combo to deal with. HP Fire can take out Ferrothorn, Scizor, Forretress, and grass types, all of whom would counter this set otherwise.
- As previously mentioned, 56 Speed EVs let you hit CB Scizor (8 Speed EVs) with HP Fire.
- The remaining EVs are allocated such that physical bulk is maximized (I used X-Act's Defense EVs applet to determine this optimal spread).
- No investment is made in Special Defense because Tangela, like its evolution, should never try to spounge special hits.
Teammates & Counters
- Tangela functions best in the absense of weather or under the sun, due the residual damage inflicted by Sandstorn and Hail (which Tangela can't heal off with leftovers) and Rain makes HP Fire much weaker. As such, Tangela partners well with "anti-weather" pokemon like Sunny Day Heatran.
- Since Tangela takes special hits like Shedinja takes a Stone Edge, it needs to be paired with special sponges. Specially Defensive Heatran is an excellent candidate for this role.
- Rapid Spin support is appreciated, though not absolutely necessary, given Tangela's lack of Leftovers recovery.
- Gliscor and Gyrados can shut Tangela down with Taunt. Rotom-W can switch into both, in addition to having great defensive synergy with Tangela.
- Sub-Disable Gengar is another good teammate as it can beat Celebi, another problematic Pokemon, in addition to Gliscor.
- Scizor makes another good partner as it can defeat most Celebi and Reuniclus variants.