- Tapu Bulu is a decent Pokemon that can fill an offensive or defensive role which gives it good versatility for bulkier teams. Its general bulk and hard hitting moves allows Tapu Bulu to be a big threat to popular breakers like Zygarde-10% or Azumarill.
- The typing of Tapu Bulu also hinders it as the most common breaker, Cobalion, often runs Iron Head as a coverage move, which can quickly force out defensive sets. Dragon-types also always run coverage in flying or fire moves which hinders Tapu Bulu from walling them properly with its secondary Fairy-type.
- It has decent coverage moves that can threaten common switch ins on offensive sets. Close Combat hits Cobalion for super-effective damage which can make up for it's Iron Head weakness and Stone Edge can make checks like Mandibuzz or Moltres have a harder time switching in. Due to Tapu Bulu's lackluster speed in the tier, these kind of sets are mostly restricted to Choice Scarf which can make them very transparent once an offensive set is revealed.
- A lot of the steels in UnderUsed are dual typing with a type that resists cover moves like Close Combat. Skarmory is a great example of a Pokemon Tapu Bulu would like to beat with it's coverage, but is forced to switch out due to its high defense and neutral damage taken by all of Tapu Bulu's coverage moves.
- Tapu Bulu is forced to run Grassy Terrain which can be a double edged sword. A proper built team will be able to take full advantage of the healing from the terrain and not have to worry about the lower base power of Earthquake from Ground-types, but Grassy Terrain also heals the opponents grounded Pokemon as well which can make it harder for bulkier teams to make more meaningful progress.
name: Scarf Bulu
move 1: Horn Leech
move 2: Stone Edge
move 3: Close Combat
move 4: Wood Hammer
item: Choice Scarf
ability: Grassy Surge
evs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
[SET 1 COMMENTS]
- Horn Leech is Tapu Bulu's go to move as it is a STAB move that can deal big chunks of damage while also healing Tapu Bulu in return. This is extremely beneficial as it doesn't get the same luxury to switch in without Heavy-Duty Boots.
- Stone Edge is one of its best coverage moves as it can threaten flying types like Mandibuzz and Salamence while also hitting Grass-type Pokemon like Amoonguss and Tangrowth for neutral damage.
- Close Combat is another great coverage move that can prevent Cobalion, Hydreigon, or Zarude from switching in on a Grass-type attack. This can also be a good neutral coverage for the tier as a lot of Pokemon do not appreciate taking a Close Combat on switch-in.
- Wood Hammer is used as a strong STAB for extra damage if needed. This can guarantee KO's on Pokemon like max HP Excadrill or Conkeldurr.
- Choice Scarf can be a great surprise factor on Tapu Bulu, but due to the lack of speed it has, it is hard to run anything else but Choice Scarf on an all out attacking set. Choice Scarf puts Tapu Bulu's speed at 409 which out-speeds all high speed Pokemon without a scarf or a +1 boost.
- 252 Atk and 252 Spe with Jolly nature makes Tapu Bulu as fast and hard hitting as possible which is what teams want in an all out attacker. It has decent general bulk without investment, so investing in anything else will make you not be able to take hits much better while not putting out enough damage.
- Tapu Bulu is forced to run Grassy Terrain which lowers the BP of Ground-type moves like Earthquake. This makes grounded Steel-types good partners as they cover it's Flying weakness while also helping Steel-types take on Ground-type Pokemon. Registeel is an excellent example of this as it has a high Defense stat to take Flying-type attacks while also threatening them back with Seismic Toss or boosted Body Press attacks.
- Tapu Bulu has a hard time dealing with fire types or fire coverage in general from Dragon-types like Salamence. Bulky Water-Types like Slowking can help with these shortcomings while also giving the team a pivot with Teleport in order to help Tapu Bulu come in more often.
- Bulky Grass-types like Amoonguss and Tangrowth can give Tapu Bulu a very hard time due to their coverage with Sludge Bomb. Slowbro-Galar is an excellent choice as a partner to check these Grass-type Pokemon as it can take all of their moves very easily while threatening them out. Other options involve flying types like Celesteela or Crobat, but they do not get to benefit from Grassy Terrain.
name: Defensive Bulu
move 1: Horn Leech
move 2: Nature's Madness
move 3: Toxic
move 4: Synthesis
item: Heavy-Duty Boots
ability: Grassy Surge
evs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spe
[SET 2 COMMENTS]
- Horn Leech is once again Tapu Bulu's reliabe STAB that can deal a lot of damage to Pokemon who do not resist it while also healing Tapu Bulu for a good amount of health. This along with Grassy Terrain and Synthesis can make sure Tapu Bulu stays proactive in the game for a long time.
- Nature's Madness is used as general coverage for Pokemon switching in as it is harder for opposing teams to keep up momentum after 50% health has been taken from the opposing Pokemon. This allows the users other Pokemon have a lot easier time coming in as the opponent will most likely Roost to nullify the health lost during the next turn.
- Toxic is to help Tapu Bulu wall Pokemon over time. Being able to continuously chip at the opposing Pokemon's health while not having to attack is perfect for Tapu Bulu as it can spam Synthesis or Horn Leech to win trades at a lot bigger of an advantage than normal.
- Synthesis is used as a reliable recovery for Tapu Bulu, as Horn Leech can be resisted and not give back enough health after use. Synthesis allows a nice secondary option to make sure it stays healthy after an attack or while Toxic chips down and opposing Pokemon.
- Heavy-Duty Boots are used to ignore hazards and to keep Tapu Bulu healthy enough to take hits from breaker Pokemon consistently.
- 136 Speed is to outspeed max speed, modest primarina while 252 HP and 120 Def are used to optimally max out it's bulk.
- Tapu Bulu likes to give chip and Grassy Terrain support to offensive Pokemon that can take hits better from it. Cobalion is an excellent partner as it can trade better versus ground types like Excadrill and Diggersby while also setting up easier against bulkier ground types like Hippowdon. Cobalion also gives Grass-type checks to Tapu Bulu hard times as Tangrowth usually doesn't have enough physical defense investment to handle a boosted Cobalion and Amoonguss doesn't have the coverage moves to threaten Cobalion at all.
- Flying types like Moltres or Celesteel plague defensive Tapu Bulu. Offensive pivots like Raikou or defensive water types like Slowking can be good partners in order to wall or threaten them out.
- Poison-types like Nihelego or Nidoking can threaten out Tapu Bulu, even if they don't want to come in and take a Horn Leech. Offensive Psychic-type Pokemon like Azelf or bulky Ground-types like Hippowdon can take care of these threats with Psyshock and High-Horsepower respectively.
- Zen Headbutt is a coverage move that can be used on the Scarf Bulu set to hit the popular switch in Amoonguss, but is generally outclassed due its 90% accuracy and only threatening one Pokemon in the entire tier compared to its other coverage moves.
- Taunt can be ran on the Defensive Bulu set, but is generally outclassed by Nature's Madness, Toxic, and Synthesis as the combination is more reliable and less likely to make Tapu Bulu feel the effects of four move slot syndrome.
Checks and Counters
**Flying-types**: Fast Flying-types like Crobat heavily threaten the defensive Tapu Bulu set while bulkier Flying-Types like Salamence and Mandibuzz handle the scarf set extremely well. Crobat does not have to worry about Toxic, can roost off Nature's Madness damage, and can threaten Tapu Bulu with Brave Bird in order to completely neutralize it's set. Salamence and Mandibuzz can easily take most of Choice Scarf Tapu Bulu's attacks while barely being threatened by Stone Edge. With being safe enough to Roost off Stone Edge hits, they can stall the PP and eventually fully wall Tapu Bulu.
**Fire-types**: Fire-types offensively check Tapu Bulu as their high damaging moves can make it look like paper. Fire types are more susceptible to Stone Edge coverage from the scarf set and toxic from the defensive set, but they can also gain a lot more oppenings on Tapu Bulu to come in and become big problems for teams.
**Steel-types**: Bulky Steel-types like Celesteela and Skarmory completely wall both Tapu Bulu sets while grounded Steel-types like Cobalion wall defensive Tapu Bulu while also benefiting from Grassy Terrain. Tapu Bulu cannot touch Celesteela and Skarmory while also getting threatened out by their coverage moves. Skarmory also threatens boosting it's defense stat to +6 with Iron Defense on Tapu Bulu which can turn it into a proficient sweeper in certain match ups.
**Bulky Grass-types and Poison-types**: Bulky Grass-types like Tangrowth and Amoonguss wall Tapu Bulu's sets while also threatening it with Sludge Bomb coverage. Poison-types like Slowbro-Galar also threaten to OHKO Tapu Bulu while not having to fear Toxic from the defensive set. Tapu Bulu has a 4x weakness to Poison, so these bulkier Grass and Poison-types become a lot more scary and are borderline impossible for it to deal with.
- Written by: [[Slip, 566907]]
- Quality checked by: [[username1, userid1], [username2, userid2]]
- Grammar checked by: [[username1, userid1]]