Doubles Tapu Fini

zoe

Tragic Decision
is an official Team Rateris a Social Media Contributoris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnus
DOU & Discord Head
:ss/tapu-fini:
[OVERVIEW]

Tapu Fini is an important asset of balance teams thanks to its defensive and offensive utility, which stems from its typing and ability. A Water / Fairy typing lets it easily take attacks from the likes of Heatran, Urshifu-R, and Volcanion, especially when considering its great natural bulk, which also allows it to take neutral attacks from the likes of Zygarde and Dragapult relatively well. In return, it can threaten the aforementioned Pokemon back with its STAB moves, giving it offensive utility as well. Misty Surge allows Tapu Fini to exert Terrain control, with Misty Terrain removing priority from Rillaboom's Grassy Glide and turning Necrozma's Expanding Force into a single target move. Misty Terrain also has the benefit of blocking Amoonguss's Spore and weakening Dragon-type moves from the likes of Dragapult and Kommo-o. Tapu Fini can take advantage of Pokemon it walls with a Calm Mind set, which lets it function as a dangerous wincon while maintaining its defensive and offensive utility. It can also take on a support role and utilize its great support movepool with moves like Heal Pulse and Nature's Madness. The Calm Mind set can take a bit to get going and relies on Leftovers to keep it healthy, while the support set is mostly passive. Further, both sets have a tendency to be and share a considerable weakness to one of the best Pokemon in the tier, Rillaboom. It threatens Tapu Fini with its powerful STAB Grassy Glide and resets Misty Terrain. Tapu Fini also has a tendency to get overwhelmed and chipped while it switches in to take resisted hits and change the terrain, a problem made worse by its lack of instant recovery. Pokemon that can handle Rillaboom make excellent partners for Tapu Fini. Kyurem-B and Incineroar in particular are great partners, as Tapu Fini beats Urshifu-R for them as well.

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Muddy Water
move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Calm Mind
move 4: Protect
item: Leftovers
ability: Misty Surge
nature: Bold
evs: 252 HP / 112 Def / 144 SpA

[SET COMMENTS]

* Muddy Water and Moonblast allow Tapu Fini to effectively exert offensive pressure the opposing team. Moonblast is a single target move that hits many threats like Urshifu-R, Zygarde, and Kommo-o, while Muddy Water hits both targets and nails Pokemon that aren't too threatened by Moonblast like Heatran and Incineroar. However, both need boosts to become significantly threatening.

* Tapu Fini can set up Calm Mind on a wide variety of Pokemon, like Volcanion and the aforementioned Urshifu-R and Heatran. Keep in mind that this will force a lot of attention on Tapu Fini, which can open up a hole for a teammate.

* Protect allows Tapu Fini to accumulate Leftovers recovery safely, along with bringing in a teammate that can better support it, such as a Fake Out user like Zeraora.

* Leftovers recovery is greatly appreciated, as it helps Tapu Fini switch in more, and it's likely to spend several turns on the field attacking or using Calm Mind.

* Summoning Misty Terrain makes it considerably harder to prevent Tapu Fini from setting up via moves like Toxic.

* 144 Special Attack EVs let Tapu Fini always OHKO Urshifu-R with Moonblast. The Defense EVs and Bold nature allow it to take more physical hits, which Calm Mind doesn't help against, such as Pokemon like Zygarde and Fusion Bolt Kyurem-B. EVs can be shifted from Defense to Speed to outspeed certain threats with speed control.

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Moonblast
move 2: Nature's Madness
move 3: Icy Wind / Taunt
move 4: Heal Pulse / Taunt
item: Sitrus Berry

[SET COMMENTS]

* Moonblast hits Fairy-weak Pokemon like Zygarde and Urshifu-R and can claim KOs against foes weakened by Nature's Madness.

* Nature's Madness weakens foes for Tapu Fini or its teammates to pick off.

* Icy Wind allows Tapu Fini to provide speed control for its teammates along with punishing and forcing switches.

* Heal Pulse is particularly useful for Pokemon that lack recovery and and take a lot of hits like defensive Kyurem-B, along with setup sweepers like Dragon Dance Zygarde.

* Taunt is also an option over ether Icy Wind or Heal Pulse, as it can prevent Trick Room, Tailwind, and other status moves from Pokemon slower than Tapu Fini. However, it can be useless against faster Tailwind setters like Zapdos.

* Sitrus Berry's burst recovery is preferred over Leftovers's gradual recovery due to this set's tendency to repeatedly switch in-and-out of battle

* Summoning Misty Terrain is great against Pokemon that rely on Terrain, like Necrozma and Rillaboom.

* 144 Special Attack EVs allow Tapu Fini to always OHKO Urshifu-R with Moonblast. The Defense EVs and Bold nature are used to increase its lower Defense. EVs can be shifted to outspeed certain threats in Tailwind or after Icy Wind.

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Choice Specs can exert immediate offensive pressure, while Choice Scarf has a considerable surprise factor and can several dangerous Pokemon like Urshifu-R and Dragapult. Trick is an option on both sets and can cripple it's switch-ins like Rillaboom. However, it generally makes both less consistent. Muddy Water is an option over Nature's Madness on the support set to hit Heatran, but it has a lower overall damage output.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[dnagerbdager, 531334]]
- Quality checked by: [[emma, 294304], [zeefable, 501951]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]

Last edited by a moderator:
[OVERVIEW]
  • I would remove the sentence about how Tapu Fini is the bulkiest terrain setter. Rillaboom (especially with AV) and even Tapu Lele (with Sitrus Berry) can switch in fairly consistently as well, so it mostly seems like filler / not necessary in the overview.
  • I would just say the support set is mostly passive. I think getting into how it can invite in Genesect (which I also think is not the best mention) and how Nature's Madness helps fix the issue partially is getting too specific for an overview that is already quite long.
  • You spent too much time talking about Rillaboom and Kartana (how Wood Hammer is a guaranteed OHKO in Grassy Terrain, Kartana's Leaf Blade is a 50% critical hit, etc.) when the section isn't about them (it's about Tapu Fini). I would just say how they both threaten them with powerful STAB attacks and RIllaboom resets Misty Terrain.
  • I would remove the part at the end about Speed Control partners since every Pokemon appreciates Speed Control and I don't think Tapu Fini is something that really needs it. I would then probably expand on partners in a different way, but I'm not sure how at the moment.
[CALM MIND]
  • You're right that Moonblast is stronger than Muddy Water on its own, but I would just mention how both need a boost to become super threatening.
  • I would quickly specifically mention how Calm Mind forces a lot of attention on Tapu Fini. Maybe you can say that instead of how it makes Tapu Fini more threatening, and instead talk about Tapu Fini needs a boost to become threatening in the Muddy Water / Moonblast line.
  • I would be more general in the Protect line, and say besides from giving Tapu Fini extra Leftovers recovery, it helps a teammate come in to better support it (instead of being specific with how partners can come in to handle physical attackers).
  • I don't know how much I like talking about Misty Terrain resetting Terrain in the Calm Mind set since Tapu Fini generally doesn't do a lot of that (well, at least). I would just talk about how it prevents status and makes it harder to take down.
[SUPPORT]
  • I don't think Moonblast is the main attacking move (Nature's Madness is IMO) so I would instead say how it hits Fairy-weak Pokemon and can pick off foes (since Nature's Madness is always just 50% of health).
  • I wouldn't talk about how Nature's Madness is especially useful against Pokemon that resist Moonblast. Usually you are using Nature's Madness on a neutral target anyway and really only using Moonblast on targets it hits for double damage or to pick off a weakened foe.
  • Expand on the Icy Wind line. Either a specific example or how it hits Zygarde or something.
  • Mention how Tapu Fini can't Taunt faster Tailwind setters (Zapdos, Kartana) as a downside.
  • I would say how Sitrus Berry is preferred over Leftovers since the support set is generally switching in-and-out so the burst recovery is more useful.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • Don't lead with how Specs and Scarf are good because of Trick, because the Specs set for sure doesn't need it. I would instead lead with how Choice Specs can exert offensive pressure, talk about Choice Scarf, and then at the end mention how Trick is an option on both (as opposed to making it seem like it's mandatory).
  • Mention how you can run Muddy Water on the support set over Nature's Madness to hit Heatran, but generally outputs less damage compared to NM.
  • Remove Soak. I can remember it seeing minor success in DWCoP and that's it.
Implement and tag when you're done.

Last edited:
[OVERVIEW]
  • I would expand on the partners line just a bit since one sentence seems a bit bare. Maybe you can remove Galarian Zapdos as an example and say in return Tapu Fini beats Urshifu-R, or talk specifically about how good a partner Incineroar or Kyurem-B is, OR mention Rillaboom and/or Kartana as partners.
[CALM MIND]
  • I would frame the "forces attention on Tapu Fini" in the Calm Mind line in a more positive light. Maybe how it opens up opportunities for its partner the opposition needs to focus on taking down the +1/+1 threat.
[SUPPORT]
  • The first two bullet points are a bit too similar (Moonblast talks about how it can pick off foes after Nature's Madness, Nature's Madness can put Pokemon in range to be picked off by Moonblast) so I would reword the second line a bit.
  • I would replace the part about Icy Wind letting Tapu Fini Taunt faster Tailwind setters at -1 with a different practical application of the move since Taunt isn't even on the main set.
  • I would be more general and say how you can shift EVs to Speed to outspeed threats in Tailwind or after Icy Wind instead of specifically mentioning the Zeraora benchmark since it seems odd to be general in the Calm Mind set and specific here.
[OTHER OPTIONS]
  • Paragraph form!
  • For the drawback of the Choice sets, I would just say how it's not as reliable as one of the two bulky sets instead of getting into the negatives of being choice locked.
  • You should probably expand on the benefits of the Choice sets, but I'll leave it to a QC member with more experience using the sets to get into specifics.
QC 1/2

• Love
Reactions: zoe
[OVERVIEW]

compared to your other mentions zapdos-g is a significantly more niche example, I think dragapult would be a better mention and it still fits the criteria of being threatened with fairy stab

you kind of hint at it but don't explicitly mention: tapu fini is very prone to getting outdamaged. you can just mention this when you bring up the cons with the calm mind set and the support set being passive

reread for some grammar/typo fixes

[CM SET DETAILS]

explicitly mention bringing in fake out users for protect

you can rephrase the defense investment to say that it increases its survivability in the face of zygarde and fusion bolt kyurem-b to add some examples

[SUPPORT SET DETAILS]

you use "pick off" in both of the first two sentences, sentiment is fine but i think you can change up the delivery

very good work, i don't see anything else to comment on. QC 2/2

Adeleine

after committing a dangerous crime
is a Top Social Media Contributoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Add/Fix Remove Comment
(AC)/(RC): Add/Remove Comment

:ss/tapu-fini:
[OVERVIEW]

Tapu Fini is an important asset of balance teams (RC) thanks to its defensive and offensive utility that utility, which stems from its typing and ability. It possesses A useful Water / Fairy typing which lets it easily take attacks from the likes of Heatran, Urshifu-R, and Volcanion, especially when considering its great natural bulk that bulk, which also allows it to take neutral attacks from the likes of Zygarde and Dragapult relatively well. In return, it can threaten the aforementioned Pokemon back with its STAB moves, giving it offensive utility as well. Misty Surge allows Tapu Fini to exert Terrain control, which is useful as it can remove with Misty Terrain removing the priority from Rillaboom's Grassy Glide and turning Necrozma's Expanding Force into a single target move by changing the Terrain. Misty Terrain also has the benefit of blocking Amoonguss's Spore and weakening Dragon-type moves from the likes of Dragapult and Kommo-o. Tapu Fini can take advantage of Pokemon it walls with a Calm Mind set, (AC) that can which lets it function as a dangerous wincon (RC) while maintaining its defensive and offensive utility. It can also take on a support role and utilize its great support movepool with moves like Heal Pulse and Nature's Madness. The Calm Mind set can take a bit to get going and relies on Leftovers to keep itself healthy, while the support set is mostly passive. However, Further, both sets have a tendency to be outdamaged, along with outdamaged and share a considerable weakness to one of the best Pokemon in the tier, Rillaboom. It threatens Tapu FIni Fini with its (removed apostrophe) powerful STAB Grassy Glide and resets Misty Terrain. Tapu Fini also has a tendency to get overwhelmed and chipped while it switches in to take resisted hits and change the terrain, a problem made worse by its lack of instant recovery. Pokemon that can handle Rillaboom make excellent partners for Tapu Fini. Kyurem-B and Incineroar in particular are great partners for it, as Tapu Fini beats Urshifu-R for them as well.

[SET]
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Muddy Water
move 2: Moonblast
move 3: Calm Mind
move 4: Protect
item: Leftovers

[SET COMMENTS]

* Muddy Water and Moonblast are Tapu Fini's main STAB moves and allow it to effectively exert offensive pressure on allow Tapu Fini to effectively offensively pressure the opposing team. Moonblast is a single target move that hits many threats like Urshifu-R, Zygarde, and Kommo-o, while Muddy Water hits both targets along with and nails Pokemon that aren't too threatened by Moonblast like Heatran and Incineroar. However, (AC) both need boosts to become significantly threatening.

* Calm Mind allows Tapu Fini to increase its bulk and power and can set up Tapu Fini can set up Calm Mind on a wide variety of Pokemon, like Volcanion and the aforementioned Urshifu-R and Heatran. Keep in mind that this will force a lot of attention on Tapu Fini, which can open up a hole for a teammate while the opponent is focused on neutralizing Tapu Fini.

* Protect can allow allows Tapu Fini to accumulate Leftovers recovery safely, along with bringing in a teammate who that can better support it, such as a Fake Out users like Zeraora.

* Leftovers provides Tapu Fini with gradual recovery, which recovery is greatly appreciated, (AC) as it helps it Tapu Fini switch in more, and it's likely to spend several turns on the field attacking or using Calm Mind.

* Misty Surge allows Tapu Fini to set Misty Terrain, which prevents attempts to status it or its teammates for 5 turns. As a result, preventing it from setting up via moves like Toxic is significantly harder. Summoning Misty Terrain makes it considerably harder to prevent Tapu Fini from setting up via moves like Toxic.

* 144 Special Attack EVs let Tapu Fini always OHKO Urshifu-R with Moonblast, 252 HP EVs maxes out its health, greatly increasing Tapu Fini's bulk. The rest is dumped into Defense, which along with a Bold nature, allows Moonblast. The Defense EVs and Bold nature allow it to take more physical hits, (AC) which Calm Mind doesn't help against, from Pokemon such as Zygarde and Fusion Bolt Kyurem-B. EVs can be shifted from Defense to Speed to outspeed certain threats with speed control.

[SET]
name: Support
move 1: Moonblast
move 2: Nature's Madness
move 3: Icy Wind / Taunt
move 4: Heal Pulse / Taunt
item: Sitrus Berry

[SET COMMENTS]

* Moonblast hits Fairy-weak Pokemon like Zygarde and Urshifu-R and can claim KOs against opponents foes weakened by Nature's Madness.

* Nature's Madness removes half of the opponent's health, allowing them to be picked off by Tapu Fini or its teammates. weakens foes for Tapu Fini or its teammates to pick off.

* Icy Wind allows Tapu Fini to provide speed control for its teammates along with punishing and forcing switches.

* Heal Pulse allows Tapu Fini to heal its teammates, which is particularly useful for Pokemon who that lack recovery and and take a lot of hits like defensive Kyurem-B, along with setup sweepers like Dragon Dance Zygarde.

* Taunt is also an option over ether Icy Wind or Heal Pulse, as it can prevent Trick Room, Tailwind, and other status moves from Pokemon slower than it. However Tapu Fini. However, it can be useless against faster Tailwind setters like Zapdos.

* Sitrus Berry's burst recovery is prefered preferred over Leftovers's gradual recovery on the Support set due to its due to this set's tendency to repeatedly switch in and out (removed hyphens) of battle. (added period)

* Misty Surge allows Tapu Fini to exert Terrain control, which is great against Pokemon that rely on it, Summoning Misty Terrain is great against Pokemon that rely on Terrain, like Necrozma and Rillaboom.

* 252 HP EVs are used to increase Tapu Fini's overall bulk, while 144 Special Attack EVs allow it to always OHKO Urshifu-R with Moonblast. The rest of the EVs and a Bold nature are used to 144 Special Attack EVs allow Tapu Fini to always OHKO Urshifu-R with Moonblast. The Defense EVs and Bold nature increase its lower Defense. EVs can be shifted to outspeed certain threats in Tailwind or after Icy Wind. (added period)

[STRATEGY COMMENTS]
Other Options
=============

Choice Specs can exert immedient immediate offensive pressure, while Choice Scarf can provide speed control ("speed control" refers to moves that change other Pokemon's Speeds; reword this however you want without the term "speed control") for Tapu Fini's team. Trick is an option on both sets and can cripple Tapu Fini's it's (if you reword earlier part to not include "Tapu Fini", ignore this) switch-ins like Rillaboom. However both of them are generally less consistent than the Calm Mind or Support sets. However, it generally makes both less consistent. (I imagine?) Muddy Water is an option over Nature's Madness on the support set to hit Heatran, but it has a lower overall damage output.

[CREDITS]
- Written by: [[dnagerbadger, 531334]]
- Quality checked by: [[emma, 294304], [zeefable, 501951]]
- Grammar checked by: [[Finland, 517429]]
adeleine.gif
1/1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)