Taunt 'n Turn: A Unique Take on Stall

Introduction: This team started with AJ's Concept: Momentum Stall, as an experiment since I lacked better things to test. It morphed into Hours of Endless Entertainment, which testing gave me numerous useable sets for this type of team, but I've since revised my formula. On the surface, the idea of the team seems simple: prevent the opponent from gaining momentum by always being in the right place at the right time. But against a competent player, turns are often lost through mispredicts, needing to heal/set rocks/defog, or when (quite frankly) the shit hits the fan. That's why the original formula was revised twice.

New formula:

1. 2+ users of Uturn, Baton Pass, Volt Switch (in order of preference) - This is one of the greatest utility moves in the game. The ability to switch out when opponents' switch in/setup is predicted and to see what they do before deciding what to switch in (switch initiative) will make it more difficult for them to counter members of your team, allowing you to switch to a more appropriate counter/check. Uturn is preferred over the others for chip damage that nothing is immune to. Since this is a stall team, chances are your turners are slower than theirs, which makes for a better turn initiative.

2. 2+ users of Taunt - This is necessary for fighting other stalls, baton pass chain teams, etc. It can also help keep slower things from setting up. Vs. many teams, preventing the setup of rocks, and the defogging of your rocks can be a win condition. At least one taunt turner is indispensable for the team. Taunt forces TONS of switches, which you can take advantage of easily through good prediction.

3. One very solid revenge killer - Sometimes the shit hits the fan, especially in a very offensive metagame. Some things can't be walled or easily switched into. The most dangerous OU threats are effectively unwallable in the conditions of a real match, and you need a revenge killer capable of killing as many of these threats as possible (preferably all).

4. One cleric - sometimes healing your teammates is necessary. This team aims to limit the necessity of a cleric as much as possible, since most members will be able to heal themselves, but healing does help with the longevity of the team. The cleric must also be capable of forcing switches on its own and fit into the defensive core with useful typing.

5. Stealth Rock - Indispensable for any team, really. Arguably the most overcentralizing move in the game, and helpful to create win conditions, force predictable behavior, etc. Stealth Rock needs to be on something that fits the defensive core of the team, can force switches, and can live long enough to use the move multiple times a match. (in other words, not a suicide lead)

6. 1+ All-purpose pivot - Preferably something that checks/counters things that the rest of the team doesn't. Especially helpful if it has a useful pivot ability (Regenerator, Natural Cure, Intimidate, etc), access to a good utility move (Taunt, Uturn, Scald, Knock off, Dragon Tail, etc), and/or a way to beat common switch-ins/stay-ins to the "usual" set (moves like Flamethrower or Psychic on an unexpected holder can quickly turn a match around if they net a kill/2hko).

7. A good defensive core - It is important to check/counter as many threats as possible to limit the need to revenge kill or play out shaky 50/50's. This can't be stressed enough.

The Team:

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 Spd / 252 SDef / 244 HP
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Protect
- Earthquake
- U-turn

The poster child of this playstyle, with his ideal set for this team. Most people looking at my team in preview assume I'm using the standard Toxic Stall set. As a result, it is VERY common to see people send in Ferrothorn, Skarmory, or any steel type with a balloon. Hitting most of these with a surprise Taunt or Uturn to a more appropriate counter often starts the momentum ball rolling in my favor. Protect is invaluable for activating Toxic Orb, gaining HP via Toxic Heal, playing mindgames vs. certain Pokemon/players, and PP stalling certain moves (such as Hydro Pump, which you obviously wouldn't want to be hit with, but matches often last long enough where PP stalling them can tilt a match in your favor). Earthquake is Stab that hits a lot of things hard due to them being weak to Ground, even with no offensive EV's. Uturn completes the set, and turns Gliscor into a "Taunt Turner" which is necessary for the playstyle. Toxic Heal + above average defensive typing/stats makes Gliscor the ideal Pokemon who can run this kind of set, because it allows him to status absorb and take hits really well, in addition to healing a lot back on protect/predicted "free turns".

EV's outspeed 44 speed Rotom (to Uturn/taunt before he does anything), lives through defensive Rotom-W's Hydro Pump and nearly all unboosted HP Ice's, allows him to completely counter any Aegislash lacking max speed + HP Ice that I had ever seen (assuming healthy). Speed also outspeeds a majority of walls, allowing him to Taunt them.

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spd
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Nothing much has changed from my last team, as Mega Scizor fulfills the same role it did before. This Scizor is literally bulkier than Skarmory with a slightly different typing. What sets him apart from Skarmory as a niche defogger for the team is priority Bullet Punch and Stab U-turn coming from a 150 base Atk (which even uninvested, still hits decently hard). Bullet Punch finishes off sashes/sturdy, outright kills/2hko's many relevant threats. Uturn maintains momentum for the team, pops Heatran's balloon (he always switches in, I wonder why?).

EV's maximize bulk while reaching 200 speed. This outspeeds uninvested base 80's (Mandibuzz, Venusaur, some Heatran) and fully invested/neutral nature base 50's (Azumarill and Mawile). Outspeeding the fairies is important for scouting (many Mawile have Fire Fang, but this Scizor beats any that do not), bullet punching before they do anything (making Sucker Punch fail, and hitting Azu before Aqua Jet hits helps tremendously); while underspeeding most other things for the better Uturn is important. Be careful of random Hidden Power Fire (common carriers include Venusaur, Amoonguss, Greninja), and random Flamethrower/Fire Blast/Heat Wave (commonly on Tyranitar, Tornadus-T, Flying types in general).

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Transform

THE revenge killer. The only thing capable of revenge killing very boosted things (+2 or more on dragon/quiver dance users, Belly Drum, etc), Baton Pass recipients, and more. Kills several things that are effectively unwallable (most are weak or at least neutral to their own attacks). Predict someone's Charizard wrong? Mega Pinsir got to +2? That Azumarill was really Belly Drum? No problem, Ditto can handle them and so much more. Ditto wears a scarf, allowing him to revenge kill a majority of the game's setup sweepers, and things using items other than scarf for the most part.

EV's are for HP Ice. Most common HP user is Thundurus-I, often paired on the same team as a Ground type. HP Ice covers both him and the Ground type, allowing for elimination of either.

Ditto is also especially useful for checking for bullshit sets. Not sure if a Charizard is running EQ/Focus Miss? Not sure of your best Venusaur/Mawile counter? Figure out a way to double switch Ditto in that results in the least amount of harm to the team.

For those of you who are still wasting your time with changing Happiness on Pinsir:

252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 168-198 (61.7 - 72.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

+2 252 Atk Aerilate Mega Pinsir Quick Attack vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Pinsir: 332-392 (122 - 144.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO

This means if Pinsir took any prior damage (such as Stealth Rock + chip damage from a Uturn/rocky helm), or is at +2 or above, Ditto checks Pinsir regardless of what you set your Happiness to as long as you are using Quick Attack, which 99% of you are. Don't even bother unless Frustration makes you feel more like a hipster. The same goes for a vast majority of things using Return/Frustration. If you have even one other coverage move that hits yourself neutrally, that "fix" literally accomplished nothing.

I know many of you are saying that Ditto is unreliable, due to being only as good as what your opponent is using. This only seems to matter on lower ladder, where Ditto can provide hours of endless entertainment due to the downright ridiculous garbage people think of. On upper ladder, people generally use good things, where Ditto can shine. It's not great vs. other stall teams, except to provide limitless PP as long as something else is alive. Vs. Baton Pass or offensive teams, he's simply amazing when used properly.

Just to give you an idea, my favorite bug with the worst set I've seen on him to date:

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 48 Spd / 252 SDef / 208 HP
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Taunt

My 2nd taunter, and rock layer for the team. Lava Plume is essential Stab, killing/2hko'ing things weak to it and threatening a burn chance on everything. Earth Power is chosen over Toxic to nail things that would switch in expecting the standard defensive set with Toxic (such as other Heatran, most fire types). Heatran has some of the best resistances in the game (more 4x resistances/immunities than most things), but is cursed with a 4x Ground weakness. This weakness makes it harder for him to lay rocks vs. some teams (any sand team with Excadrill, either Sand Pokemon, and Breloom/Keldeo = good luck getting rocks up before turn 20), but his massive bulk and amazing resistances make up for it in a way to give a place on my team.

Taunt Heatran WRECKS Clefable (taunt them, and spam Lava Plume until dead). A second taunter is necessary for the way the team plays, allowing switches back and forth between both taunters to completely shut down many teams. Ideally, the set would have Protect over rocks, but rocks are needed somewhere on the team...

Slowbro @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 248 HP / 40 SDef / 220 Def
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot
- Psychic

The derpiest looking member of the team. This set is meant more as a pivot for double switching. Assault Vest gives him amazing mixed defenses. Very few things can kill in 1 hit, and as long as he has 1 HP left, he can still switch out and regain a bunch back (provided they don't have Pursuit).

Moves chosen beat things he's supposed to beat, and common switch-ins. Scald is a very spammable move, threatening a burn chance on anything. Psychic is another Stab, beating any Fighting or Poison type. Flamethrower threatens Grass/Bug/Steel types that try to switch in. Grass Knot beats water types. (Mega Gyarados and Azumarill being the biggest threats, but nailing Quagsire hard is also huge)

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

A mostly standard cleric Sylveon set. Specially defensive, because it allows it to have a chance (instead of just kinda dying) against Greninja, Keldeo, Charizard Y (which usually must be PP stalled out of its fire blast/sun turns with Wish/protect), and many other heavy hitting special attackers. My team is very physically bulky anyway, so any bit of special defense helps. I have plenty to switch into Outrageous Dragons (and can also revenge them).

Sylveon is preferred over Chansey for this particular type of team. Wish passing and Heal Bell becomes easier to accomplish if Sylveon forces something out as opposed to just being setup bait for everything ever. Resisting Pursuit further helps its clerical duties, not to mention being able to kill many things with its Hyper Voice.

Common Stall Threats: (more to be added later)

1. Biggest threat to the team is misplays combined with bullshit attacks. Walking right into an Earthquake with Heatran due to a misplay or something carrying the move as a surprise, for example, can be quite deadly. Be especially careful with how you play Ditto, and what he copies. One of my first runs with a previous version of the team vs. a competent player, I copied/revenged a Latios, only to get Ditto Pursuit trapped on the next turn (and the team steamrolled as a result). Double switching and going for the non-obvious move can help a lot, and will be what separates playing this team (and any other for that matter) great as opposed to just OK.

2. "Neo-BP" - This team has a FAR better chance vs. BP than any other stall I've seen. Starting with Ditto vs. the screens Deo-S variant forces a 50/50 right in the beginning (assuming they start with Deo), which very few teams can accomplish + why people bitch nonstop about that team. It *is* a 50/50 though, usually determined by the first 3 turns or so.

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-134272297
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-134772507

3. Lando-I - variants without HP Ice are checked by Gliscor. Variants lacking Knock Off are countered by Slowbro, checked otherwise. All variants checked by Ditto with previous damage. Annoying to face, but doesn't 6-0 the team if you play smart.

4. Stallbreaker Mew + similar sets - tend to drag out the match, but don't outright beat the team.

5. Passive Setup Sweepers - Clefable is outright beaten/countered by Heatran. Suicune and CM Manaphy MUST be pp stalled (no other way around them with this team to my knowledge), and make for a VERY long match if you want to win.

6. Trappers - Difficult for any defensive team to handle.

a. Trick/Taunt/Rest Gothitelle is laughable for this team. At best, offers a 1 for 1 trade if they come in on something already low on HP, but usually just kinda dies. (seriously, stop using this set)

b. Other Gothitelle - The most threatening set has HP Fire + Tbolt. Best bet here is to try to predict when it comes in and nail with Uturn.

c. Dugtrio - Only thing threatened by this thing is Heatran. Be careful with how you play Heatran and you should be fine.

d. Magnezone - Only thing threatened by this thing is Scizor (and ONLY if your opponent is smart enough to run enough to outspeed 200). Playing around it is easier than playing around Dugtrio, due to Uturn.

e. Wobbuffet - Most threatening trapper to this team, not even sure what the best course of action is vs. it, but extremely rare. Usually only results in one thing dying though, the way most people play with it.

f. Pursuit - HELLLPPPP! Only one member naturally weak to Pursuit helps, and Pursuit also changes the way you must play with Ditto. Beware of Pursuit pressure styles - I came across a team on ladder with multiple pursuit trappers, who made loads of strange double switches to get things to switch out and Pursuited everything until everything was in OHKO range for his sweeper. Again, not sure of the best course of action vs. a team like this; but a lone Pursuit trapper can almost always be played around.

More will be updated eventually

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-134272297 <-- "Neo-BP" #1

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-134772507 <-- "Neo-BP" #2

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-134776669 <-- Hp Ice Terrakion/Sand team

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-134896274 <-- Lots of Steel types, Pursuit trapper

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-134227955 <-- This really showcases how good Gliscor is

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-135330134 <-- A couple risky plays, and scouting for choice items and movesets

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 12 Spd / 252 SDef / 244 HP
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Protect
- Earthquake
- U-turn

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Technician
EVs: 200 HP / 252 Def / 56 Spd
Impish Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Transform

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 48 Spd / 252 SDef / 208 HP
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Earth Power
- Taunt

Slowbro @ Assault Vest
EVs: 248 HP / 40 SDef / 220 Def
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Flamethrower
- Grass Knot
- Psychic

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 SDef / 248 HP / 8 Spd
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Heal Bell
- Hyper Voice

Last edited:
Great team. I've seen it in action firsthand many times. Really hard to critique. Though I think having an alternative option to setupmons like mega pinsir would do you some good, you do have ditto. (You'd have to treat it like gold if you see something like a pinsir; as it'd be your key to winning). But yeah, lots of team players. Solid stuff, Emmy.

A$AP JASE

Banned deucer.
Hey Emmy! Haven't had a chance to test this team out yet, but i will make sure to do so and get back to you ASAP. Just from looking over the team I could see the great synergy your team has and how untouchable it can be with proper switch-ins. The only problem i can foresee right now is the teams lack of ability to hit very hard. Still, the momentum this team has makes it almost untouchable. ~Well done, Emmy

Hi. I've been specializing in momentum stall teams pretty much since AJ's momentum stall concept post (well, really a little before because I thought of it myself). What I find most difficult is getting a good specially defensive turner (Something specially defensive is really necessary to get the voltturn effect to work). Tbh, gliscor isn't going to be sponging attacks from OU's top-tier threats. Heatran, Slowbro, and Sylveon are all good, but we need one to turn. As a result of momentum stall's limited pokemon pool, there aren't any great choices. I would suggest trying to incorporate something like an AV Tornadus, Celebi, or the such. Spec. Def. Rotom-W/H is great on these teams, except they don't have reliable recovery or regenerator. What this would do is essentially strengthen the momentum core.

Now this is difficult to do without breaking up the synergy of the team too much, or eliminating a role. My best proposal to apply what I wrote above would be to replace ditto with AV Tornadus-Therian. Tornadus-T can still revenge kill threats albeit less effectively. However, you now have a counter(ish) to Landorus-I among several other special threats, and can u-turn infinitely while never getting worn down (regenerator).

Now remember, this is a stall team. It should combat opposing teams with status and chip damage. Moves like Earth Power are handy with good prediction, however that is more of an offensive focus. I recommend Will-o-Wisp over Earth Power on Heatran because it cripples many counters Earth Power could not (such as garchomp) and is more fitting with the theme of the team. Advancing with the same idea, neither one of your physically defensive turners use any status. I suggest Toxic over Earthquake on gliscor for a couple of reasons. #1 it allows it to beat Zapdos, which is normally an annoyance to this team style. #2 it hits special attackers on the switch, and puts them on a timer, doomed to die. #3 you already have an attacking move in u-turn, and although it's rather weak, it still allows you to attack if taunted or such.

Minor nitpick: replace psychic with psyshock to make slowbro mixed.

Here's the Tornadus-T set. It was made by me with an anti-meta approach, outspeeding Mega-Pinsir by one point, but full speed could also be used if faster threats become a problem. FWI 96 attack points allow Torn-T to OHKO Mega-Tyranitar with superpower.
Tornadus-Therian (M) @ Assault Vest
EVs: 40 HP / 96 Atk / 124 SDef / 248 Spd
Gentle Nature
- U-turn
- Superpower
- Knock Off
- Hurricane

Last edited:
Ditto can't be replaced on this particular team, since Pinsir, Charizard X, and most of the most dangerous things in the game are effectively impossible to wall or prevent from setting up + sweeping an entire team without some kind of discouragement. I'm going to update later with a post of previous things I've tried and why they don't work.

The main issue I'm having is a need for a replacement for Heatran. Everything I've seen 1600+ on ladder is either a sand team (where literally 4-5/6 members have EQ or fighting moves), a Lando-t/Rotom turn core (impossible to put and keep rocks up vs. these teams if they have to be on Heatran), or people running dumb moves on dumb things to hit Heatran on the switch (think like Bulldoze Ferrothorn, HP Ground Sylveon/Clefable, etc). I know Aegislash being on every other team is partially to blame, since non-contact moves that he's weak to are the best ways to eliminate, and the most popular of which is Earthquake.

Speaking of which, this is why Gliscor's set is perfect the way it is, since Toxic doesn't give it/my team in general a way to beat Aegislash (which is troublesome for any team). I've literally never seen anything on any team I've ever built put in as much work as that particular Gliscor set, because it's something that fucks all playstyles with the right prediction.

OK, I know we talked about this on PS!, but I'm going to bring it up here so we don't forget. Thundurus-Incarnate may be superior to ditto, because it can check every threatening sweeper in OU, while maintaining momentum. Now, I know it's fragile, so it just has to be used carefully. How the team is used it just as important as the team itself. Never have thundy take a hit unless it's already in on a talonflame or mega pinsir. It should only volt-switch out, [HP] ice the immune ground types, and other than that, sit in its pokeball. Just the threat of it prevents sweepers like Mega Charizard X and Mega pinsir from setting up because they know they will be stopped. It's similar to ditto, except it spreads paralysis and preserves momentum. It should obviously only thunder wave if it has to, because, like we talked about in the chat, thunder wave causes you to loose switch initiative. But basically, I'm certain thundurus-i is better overall because it stops sweeps AND it checks many pokemon, offensive and defensive, with volt switch, forming a voltturn core with scizor and gliscor.

It doesn't do anything to prevent the most dangerous things from sweeping due to dying in 1 hit to them anyway. I bring it out on a Charizard, manage to paralyze it, and die in 1 hit. If I don't have something else that kills in 1 hit, it WILL take at least 1 other thing out if the hax gods don't like me. Also, gl if they have both Pinsir and something else dangerous... It can be useful anyway for other reasons (probably in place of Heatran/Slowbro, the 2 slots that have changed the most, since Ditto has been most useful for stopping sweeps), but I still need a replacement for Heatran as a rock layer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)