SM OU Team advice

So, I had a few battles with this team and I'm at around 1250.

To start off, I'm not sure what I was going for overall with the team, just decided I wanted certain mons and built it up from there.

Diancie @ Diancite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Moonblast
- Diamond Storm
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Stealth Rock

I knew I wanted this as a lead because of its decent speed and special attack, access to Stealth Rock, and Magic Bounce preventing opponents from setting up entry hazards. It helps too when I predict a Toxic, T-wave, and other such abilities later on in the game and redirect it with Diancie. One obvious weakness is that it's pretty much a suicide lead against any Lando-T that's aware of Magic Bounce. I'm sure there are others, though.

Whimsicott @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Encore
- Leech Seed
- Substitute
- Stun Spore

I couldn't resist. Whenever I'd get this guy in Randoms I would hilariously wreck shop. It helps when I predict an opponent's boosts, Stealth Rocks (if Diancie fails), Dragon moves, or any move that Whimsicott can resist using Encore. Stun Spore helps against faster mons, and SubSeed lets me attrition my opponent out. Obviously, whenever it becomes a last stand vs. a Dark-type pokemon (without Life Orb) I'm screwed. I've also found Limber makes it pretty useless.

Kartana @ Fightinium Z
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Leaf Blade
- Sacred Sword
- Smart Strike

My idea with Kartana was to use it mid-game to break through enemy walls and overall bust up (if not wipe out) the enemy's HP so Garchomp would have an easier time sweeping later on. I found he works well when Whimsicott paralyzes faster mons so that Kartana can get the kill.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 204 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Defog

Not much to say. Standard Rotom-Wash. Tanky, water- and electric-type coverage, defog in case Diancie faints, Will-o-Wisp to neutralize physical attackers, and Volt Switch to pivot into another Pokemon.

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Outrage
- Stone Edge
- Dragon Claw

I typically save him for last when Kartana and the rest have weakened the enemy team significantly. Most of the time, whatever Kartana fails to kill, I send out Garchomp to RK.

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Heat Wave
- Roost

I saved the last for special coverage. I used to have a banded Hoopa-U on here but I felt like he wasn't cutting it (for some reason) so I decided to use a fast, bulky Zapdos instead.

Hey nice team!

Then change I will suggest is to swap Whimsicott -> Magearna. Whimsicott, while a cool mon heavily sticks out as your teams weak point, in Random Battles levels are tweaked to make the playing field more balanced, also the set you're running is super wack. Magearna gives you a Dragon and additional Poison immunity over Whimsicott and a dedicated special wall with the Assualt Vest set, which you currently lack. It also has decent type synergy with Rotom, resisting its only weakness in Grass and Rotom in turn is immune to Ground and resists Fire, Magearna's two weaknesses. They also form a Volt Switch core, to allow you to pivot in to attackers and Volt Switch out to gain momentum.
Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power Fire
- Volt Switch

Hey nice team!

Then change I will suggest is to swap Whimsicott -> Magearna. Whimsicott, while a cool mon heavily sticks out as your teams weak point, in Random Battles levels are tweaked to make the playing field more balanced, also the set you're running is super wack. Magearna gives you a Dragon and additional Poison immunity over Whimsicott and a dedicated special wall with the Assualt Vest set, which you currently lack. It also has decent type synergy with Rotom, resisting its only weakness in Grass and Rotom in turn is immune to Ground and resists Fire, Magearna's two weaknesses. They also form a Volt Switch core, to allow you to pivot in to attackers and Volt Switch out to gain momentum.
Magearna @ Assault Vest
Ability: Soul-Heart
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Fleur Cannon
- Iron Head
- Hidden Power Fire
- Volt Switch
I like the suggestion. Should I make any tweaks to Zapdos if I placed Magearna in my team, or is he good as is?

I'd actually like to hear more about my Whimsicott's flaws. I found it's really useful in ruining someone's setup with Encore and paralyzing fast mons.

Last edited:
I like the suggestion. Should I make any tweaks to Zapdos if I placed Magearna in my team, or is he good as is?

I'd actually like to hear more about my Whimsicott's flaws. I found it's really useful in ruining someone's setup with Encore and paralyzing fast mons.
Zapdos and Magearna perform different roles so things should be good as is. Magearna swaps into special attackers as a defensive check and Zapdos is used as more of an offensive check to mons it can threaten with coverage, it has decent bulk and typing but relies more on Roost to reliably check, rather than Magearna which just takes special attacks like an absolute champ and Volts out or hits decently with Fluer Cannon/whatever.

The tweak to Zapdos I would recommend though is the ability Static over Pressure. The paralyse chnaces alongside Discharge's para chance is really nice and is very much appreciated by Kartana.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)