Team Beatdown(OU)

INTRO: I've recently gotten back into Pokemon after a long break... This is my return. To give fair warning, this team is made without much knowledge of the current OU metagame. I always was a fan of stall teams but from my point of view the metagame has shifted even more offensively since Platinum, so an offensive team would be a better choice. Without further ado... Team Beatdown:

CREATION: Getting back into competitive battling I always have been a "safe" battler through stall, though this time I wanted to make an offensive team. I have always been put off by how one mistake can kill the main sweeper of an offensive team, and did not want that to happen here so I find the two bulkiest sweepers I can find with one specializing in physical attack/defense and the other focusing in special attack/defense without forfeiting too much power. Seeing the newly OU (from my perspective) Latias, it was an immediate yes. The Physical counterpart however was harder to find. I finally settled on Swampert after toying with a few other choices. I next needed to find a good switch-in for the counters of each, from the opposite side of the attacking spectrum. For Latias I decided Scizor, as it is new to me, and packs quite a punch against many of Latias's counters. After considering Swampert would have the hardest time overcoming grass type attacks, I found that Heatran was a great choice, not only to compliment Swampert, but to take fire attacks directed at Scizor. Next I would find a lead. Seeing as most offensive teams (if not all) used SR to get the advantage, mine was slightly differently made, and probably wouldn't force as many switches, but when they did, they needed to count... This, and the fact that Fire/Grass/Water is a great defensive typing pointed me in the direction of using a Roserade lead for Toxic Spikes, a move which my bulky sweepers would benefit from. Swampert also hates those spikes, and without a spinner, would be rendered useless if my opponent could set them down... My only solution, if I can keep Roserade alive, is to absorb them. Overall, Roserade fit. The last member of my team, the glue was also hard to decide. After looking over a threat list I realized that most if not all of the Pokemon I would have trouble with could be countered by a good bolt-beamer, and Mesprit is an old favorite of mine, and is a good balanced Pokemon, to balance a team like this out. And so, Team Beatdown was formed.

IN DEPTH:

Roserade @ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 4 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Leaf Storm
- Sleep Powder
- Toxic Spikes
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Comments: A lot is described in team creation... It's good synergy, Tspikes, Tspikes Absorber, and overall useful.

Game Play: Roserade does well with backup when leading. Swampert is good backup for any Roserade lead but mine couldn't be pulled out so early, so my other Pokemon would have to deal with every lead Roserade couldn't.

Here is what I do against the most common leads:
Metagross - Sleep Powder first. I outspeed any Metagross, but if I miss and they MM, I switch to Heatran, as they won't have EQ and nuke 'em dead. If I do sleep them, put down spikes. HP is a 3HKO most of the time, so I don't risk it.

Azelf - Both Fire Blast and Psychic OHKO so I sleep as sash kicks in and if I miss, I switch to Scizor, otherwise, I set up spikes.

Swampert - Anyone who doesn't switch out their Swampert is an easy win, so I sleep on the switch and set up.

Jirachi - I don't risk staying in here (HAX). In goes Heatran, I can set up later.

Aerodactyl - Switch to Scizor as he taunts, Bullet Punch for the 2HKO (sashed).

Infernape - Switch in Mesprit, Fakeout breaks my sash, and Mesprit is a good counter anyways.

Hippowdon - See Swampert.

Ninjask - Switch in Scizor and bust their subs with Bullet Punch, no SD for you!

Bronzong - He'll probably sleep me, so I sleep him first and hope he doesn't carry Lum. Even if he does sleep me I just switch out and all better!

Tyranitar -I usually Sleep Powder, my sash will be broken at some point from the sand so why not immediately. Set up on him and then switch to Scizor.

Mesprit @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP/124 Def/36 SAtk/96 SDef
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- U-turn

Comments: Nothing much to say, reasons why I picked it in creation. Basically is a good switch-in and counter to a lot of things my team cannot handle otherwise.

Game Play: Good initial switch in, brings out pursuit users (U-turn saves the day) so I see what I have to take out for Latias. Takes down DD Gyarados like nothing.

Scizor @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- U-turn

Comments: A new kid to the block since my return, Technician Bullet Punch seems like the new black. OU Powerhouse from the time I've played with/against him.

Game Play: Another great initial switch in, counters almost all of Latias's threats. U-turn is great for scouting. I switch it in to any psychic/ghost like Azelf to wreck them with Pursuit. Tyranitar and Blissey, Latias's two biggest counters are blown away with ease. Fire weakness compliments my next choice poke, Heatran.

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 36 HP/220 Spd/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Stealth Rock

Comments: The second third of my Grass/Fire/Water combo, usually used for stall, but the whole point of the team and my play style is to bring stall to an offensive team.

Game Play: Eats any grass type alive, and even any user of grass type attacks, besides Infernape, who I out speed and kill with Earth Power anyways. Really paves the way for a Swampert sweep. This Blufftran (thanks ThePowerWithin) can win in Heatran vs. Heatran battles and helps its survivability. Previously scarfed, now with more survivability/versitality and all the same power!

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/160 Def/96 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Curse
- Rest
- Avalanche

Comments: Really all I could find for a physically defensive/offensive Pokemon that could be partnered with Latias's special version of what Swampert puts out. Definitely this team's weakest link.

Game Play: Greatly contrasting set up to Latias's. Swampert is slow and requires more prediction for his recovery move, but is set up much stronger, faster than Latias is. Curse until I can't survive the next turn's hit, and rest up. When I'm out of rest, hopefully I'm at enough health/boosts to sweep!

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 128 HP/252 Spd/128 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Surf
- Recover

Comments: A great Pokemon offensively and defensively, I was overjoyed when I saw that Latias was now OU, and the inspiration of this team.

Game Play: A fast Pokemon, easing prediction, but takes longer to set up than Swampert does, albeit Swampert needs more boosts to be as good, but hey, he's the weakest link, and probably the reason why I'm posting this. Set up on a specially inclined Pokemon and take the win, just hope he opponent doesn't have an Ice Shard Mamoswine I haven't seen that's ready to roll.

Thanks for reading! Any comments/suggestions would be helpful!
I have a few problems with no phazer, and need advice on whether to keep/replace/change Swampert!

Wow I really like this team it seems pretty good. I'm also glad to see someone using CursePert, that thing is a beast =|

SlottedPig

sem feio
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I recommend changing Heatran, since having two Choiced pokemon is not always the best, not to mention being Scarfed, Heatran is much easier to setup on than it's Specs counterpart.

I recommend changing it to this:

Heatran @ Shuca Berry
~Substitute / Explosion
~Stealth Rock
~Flamethrower / Fire Blast
~Hidden Power [Grass] / Earth Power
(Modest Nature)
EVs: 36 HP / 252 SpA / 220 Spe
Ability: Flash Fire

Comments: Good ol' Blufftran. This not only counters other Heatran, particularly Scarf versions (which your current Heatran only beats half the time), but it gives you a form of Stealth Rock.

A team like this spams U-Turn alot (any team with more than one U-Turner does, really), and Stealth Rock helps it much more than Toxic Spikes alone. You can come in on Lucario to revenge-kill, scare it out with the prospect of a Scarf, and set up Rocks as they switch. Then you can Explode on the Blissey for an incredible amount of damage, or switch to Swampert to start setting up.

The magic of the set is the coverage between Heatran's moves. His STAB Fire move and Earth Power not only hit an incredibly wide amount of targets for neutral or better, they, combined, give two attack types that hit Steel, a type immune to Toxic Spikes, super-effective.

A Heatran <=> Heatran showdown will almost always result in Blufftran winning, and that lies in the fact that with Shuca Berry it survives all kinds of Earth Powers (watch out for Specs!). Hidden Power [Grass] beats bulky waters provided you can get a Substitute or a hit in while they switch in, and really annoys Suicune when it switches into a super-effective move backed by poison, forcing it to Rest earlier.

The EVs outspeed typical Specstran, who has a shot at OHKOing you with Earth Power.

You can choose to run Expert Belt if you don't run Earth Power, since without Earth Power you can't beat the #1 reason to use Shuca Berry (other Heatran) anyway.

Thanks for the help! Good idea, fixing the OP now.
Any suggestions on Swampert anyone? He's not performing as well as a Pokemon so important to the team should!

Magnezone Problem

Magnezone can come in easily on Scizor, especailly when stuck on BP or Pursuit. Scarfed one more of a threat, mainly b/c it can out speed Scizor and Heatran.

ON Scizor I would say to use U-Turn more, or maybe include a Dugtrio somewhere.

On Heatran, I would say to maybe change him to scarf. So then he can outspeed a scarfed Magnezone. Although he won't be that big of a probem if your behind your sub.

On Swampert, while he's sleeping you'll be set up bait. Include sleep talk > Avalance. So its like a CroCune, but physical. Then you can redirect a Grass attack towards Latias.

Latias can wreak your team, one one thing can stand up to it, your own Latias. If at worst they can win the speed tie. You have Scizor, but it was easily fall to a HP Fire. Surf maims Heatran. Swampert can do anything with a Waterfall. Your Mesprit can try to U-turn to weaken him down. Latias can sause you many problems.

DD Gyarados can also hurt your team. Outspeeding everything after a DD. You only check/ counter is Mesprit. With her gone then you'll be maimed by him.

If Mesprit is simply a Gyarados Counter, you might want to try Porygon2, with

Porygon2 @ Leftovers
Ability: Trace
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 SAtk
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Thunderbolt
- Recover
- Ice Beam

It counters Gyarados, as well as physical Salamence and choice Heatran, all because of Trace. Thunder Wave is great for team support, Recover to keep itself alive, and boltbeam for damage.

Magnezone can come in easily on Scizor.
Maybe include a Dugtrio somewhere.
Magnezone is expected to kill scizor... there's no escaping a revenge kill.

On Heatran, I would say to maybe change him to scarf.
Unless we both switch in on the same turn (won't happen, he will wait til I play a steel) I will have a sub up and he can't kill me.

On Swampert, while he's sleeping you'll be set up bait. Include sleep talk > Avalance. So its like a CroCune, but physical. Then you can redirect a Grass attack towards Latias.
Ugh, I didn't want to go down this road, that's too bulky, and I don't particularly rely on rest-talking, I just want to do one and sweep. I'm not sure that the versatility lost relying upon rest-talk is worth the extra survivability on a main sweeper.

Latias can wreak your team, one one thing can stand up to it, your own Latias. If at worst they can win the speed tie. You have Scizor, but it was easily fall to a HP Fire. Surf maims Heatran. Swampert can do anything with a Waterfall. Your Mesprit can try to U-turn to weaken him down. Latias can cause you many problems.
You aren't giving Mesprit and Swampert(Avalanche) enough credit.

DD Gyarados can also hurt your team.
I don't waste my Mesprit... He's there to counter the Pokemon I can't handle with my other five, so I scout with Heatran and Scizor for a while, or if SR isn't up U-turn slower targets with Mesprit.
If Mesprit is simply a Gyarados Counter, you might want to try Porygon2.
As stated, Mesprit counters every counter I couldn't deal with otherwise, or had a "works in a pinch" counter. Mesprit also has more bulk to it.

heatran and latias make a good combo, stick with those two!

not feeling the mesprit so much such a random pokemon where other pokemon can do so much better, believe me on an alakazam for you, it also creates a nice color scheme! pokemon have to look beautiful you know

heatran and latias make a good combo, stick with those two!

not feeling the mesprit so much such a random pokemon where other pokemon can do so much better, believe me on an alakazam for you, it also creates a nice color scheme! pokemon have to look beautiful you know
Seeing this post and similar ones (and more insulting ones) in other RMTs, I am inclined to point you towards this link: Infractions.

Please read it!

Sorry if this is Jr. Modding.

i only feel like rating teams that have hope lol yours on the other hand i dont really see much potential haha you will be back here in the rmt in like a week.

and that is jr modding you can get an infraction for that

i only feel like rating teams that have hope lol yours on the other hand i dont really see much potential haha you will be back here in the rmt in like a week.

and that is jr modding you can get an infraction for that
And you get modded for being an idiot with honestly, the worst advice for any pokemon game ever. A better color scheme? Are you serious? I really hope you're just some random troll, because if you're a true competitive battler...you must be the best stepping stone ever! I would love to battle somebody like you on the ladder. It would really help out my rating.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)