Team Buncha Cruncha [UU RMT]

Premise: I began using this team about 2 weeks ago and have recently started college, which began this past Monday. I don't have access to Shoddy right and probably will never be able to play while at college, which bummed me the shit out as a fan because this game is so incredibly addictive. But anyway, this team I've built has easily gotten me up the ladder when I was able to use it, and the only thing preventing me from continuing to rise is my stupid education (haha... <_<). I've had a lot of fun playing and using this team and now that I won't have much time to play anymore, I think it's time to retire here.

The team at a glance:

------------------------------------------------------------

Team strategy:
My strategy for this team is to set up a sweep for Hitmontop, or go for the Registeel sweep if my Hitmontop sweep fails. The team synergy works really well and usually does what it is set out to do: set up a sweep for either Hitmontop or Registeel. I'm sorry if my details are not as good as in other RMTs, but I'll try to best to get across the point of each pokemon.

------------------------------------------------------------

Now the details:

My lead:

Roserade aka "Rosy Palms"
@ Focus Sash
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 Spd/ 252 Sp. Atk/ 4 Hp
Timid nature (+Spd, - Atk)
- Sleep Powder
- Leaf Storm
- Sludge Bomb / HP Ground
- Toxic Spikes

Roserade works perfectly on my team. Focus Sash guarantees that I'll have a shot at either putting the opponent to sleep or putting up Toxic Spikes, which is of high importance as I'll get to later. Sleep Powder is a big gem on this because if it lands and the opponent is not holding a lum berry, I get to set up Toxic Spikes on the switch and still have one of the opponent's pokemon rendered useless for a while. Leaf Storm is the obligatory STAB which 2HKO's most pokemon that don't resist it. Sludge Bomb is to the the other grass pokemon that come in to either take the status or take a predicted Leaf Storm. I have considered HP Ground on this set as I've had all kinds of Drapions come in on plenty occasions to either absorb the Status, clear the Toxic Spikes, or take a Leaf Storm, but I've never had the motivation to change it. Definitely worth the change though (say if I ever was able to play Shoddy again).

Roserade doesn't win every battle, as I always have to switch out against Ambipom leads, and other leads that I feel to threatened with (Typhlosion, Moltres, and Yanmega). I usually tend to test my luck by inducing Status on the last 3 listed though, as If it lands, I get Toxic Spikes up next turn, and if it doesn't land, then I can switch out and try later assuming SRs not on the field yet. As long as I can get up Toxic Spikes though I'm in business.

Lanturn aka "The Goober"
@ Leftovers
Ability: Volt Absorb
Evs: 120 Hp/ 252 Sp.Def/ 136 Sp. Atk
Calm nature (+ Sp.Def, -Atk)
- Substitute
- Thunderbolt
- Surf
- Ice Beam

Lanturn was the very last change made to my team. I always had trouble with fire type pokemon, and I felt like I needed to add a fire type of my own to absorb it, or add the typical bulky water such as Slowbro or Milotic which have become staples on most teams in UU. Lanturn is the forgotten hero though. He is, sadly, my only real counter to Moltres, but he also counters Magmortar, Rotom and Mismagius (non CM) really well too. Sub/roost/toxic I still have trouble with but I can at least scare it out, and in that case I just need to keep Lanturn alive so I can continually bring it into Moltres. Lanturn also helps lure out many opposing pokemon that I love to face: Toxicroak, Milotic, Dugtrio.

My idea of Lanturn on my team is to help scout my opponent using substitute and force switches. Because of this role, I always set up a sub as soon as Lanturn gets on the field. This helps scout my opponents team and spread poison as they switch to counters. Donphan tends to want to switch into expected Thunderbolts as does Dugtrio, meaning my opponent will have to switch out again (because of my sub) and I get a chance to strike hard with a Bolt/Beam combo backed up by a STAB surf.

Lanturn serves as a good team player due to the synergy he adds to the team. He can come in on Surfs directed at Donphan, Fire Blasts directed at Registeel and Roserade, and Thunderbolts directed at Honchkrow. Substitute is the real key to this set though, as without it I wouldn't be able to spread status as quick as I normally could (assuming Toxic Spikes are on the field).

Donphan aka "Spike"
@ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 Hp/ 240 Def/ 16 Spd
Impish nature (+ Def, -Sp.Atk)
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Roar

I originally thought of using an offensive oriented Donphan, but I found it was more plausible and ideal to use the standard defensive Donphan because it could do 3 things that are practically needed for any team:

- Set up Stealth Rock
- Phaze the opponent with Roar
- Priority Attack for Super Effective damage on Roserade, Sceptile, Swellow, and Honchkrow which he draws out

Because of this, Donphan serves as one of the critical cores in my team. Roar is there really for predicting switches once Stealth Rocks are on the field so I can rack up residual damage, and it also helps me as a last ditch effort to get rid of bulky stat-up sweepers if all goes to hell. I really like Ice Shard in this set as it provides me with 3 priority attackers on my team and helps pick off weakened foes, especially as stealth rock damage begins to add up.

I mainly use Donphan to absorb predicted Earthquakes, Stone Edges, and Close Combats. He's able to handle and usually come out on top against all of UU's fighting types. 16 Speed was added just so that I could outspeed all the other Regis and Azumaril (who also have base 50 speed)

Honchkrow aka "Will Smith"
@ Life Orb
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 Atk/ 252 Spd/ 4 Hp
Adamant nature (+ Atk, - Sp. Atk)
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit
- Drill Peck
- Superpower

This pokemon was essential to the team right from the get-go. I love playing against Uxie leads (especially the defensive variants) because they tend to set up Stealth Rock first turn or use Yawn, so bringing in Honchkrow is incredibly easy. Pursuit locks them from leaving or else they get nailed incredibly hard to the point where they lose their versatility due to the lack of HP. And that's exactly what I needed Honchkrow to do: to take out psychic type pokemon so that Hitmontop can have a better chance to sweep.

Honchkrow doesn't usually survive the match, and I tend to play very reckless with it. Say if my Lanturn or Roserade is in play and my opponent switches in Chansey, I'll immediately go to Honchkrow with the intent of pursuiting it, using Super Power if it continues to stay in. Having Honchkrow on my team also helps break my opponents stall and since many people love playing stall in UU, it's always good to have at least 1 stall-breaker on your team.

Registeel aka "WonderTits"
@ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
Evs: 252 Hp/ 216 Sp.Def/ 30 Atk/ 12 Spd
Careful nature (+Sp.Def, -Sp.Atk)
- Curse
- Iron Head
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

My counter to lead Ambipoms and Yanmegas, my status absorber, and my back-up sweeper. All in one package. Pretty sweet, right? If I come in on Ambipom or Yanmega leads, I always use Iron Head as my first move, as I don't want my opponent knowing I run a rest/talk set. Bringing Registeel early into the game usually draws out Donphan, Milotic, Slowbro, and Moltres, which is great because 3 out of the 4 of those would hate to be poisoned if Toxic Spikes are on the field. Whirlwind Drapion is still a problem, and if I see those I usually curse up to see what they do next.

Late game sweeping is what Registeel does best, especially if I don't have the opportunity to bring in Hitmontop if Honchkrow didn't eliminate his counters. Registeel already has the defensives to survive a few hits, and having the ability to further increase them and also be able to deal damage with STAB Iron Head is amazing.

Hitmontop aka "Tripod"
@ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Hp/ 252 Atk/ 4 Spd
Adamant nature (+ Atk, - Sp. Atk)
- Bulk Up
- Bullet Punch
- Mach Punch
- Rest

The star of my team. I tend to let something die before I bring in Hitmontop, as having his at full health is essential to take hard hits later in the game as my opponent gets desperate to kill it. Mach Punch and Bullet Punch hit almost everything in UU bar Rotom, Charizard, and Moltres (got to have those guys out of the picture or at least very close before I bring in Hitmontop). Rest helps deal with status that Hitmontop is sure to get (WOW and Toxic hurt the most), but Rest also helps bring Hitmontop back up to health so physically-based pokemon will have an even tougher time bringing him down. I don't know how else to put into words how awesome this set is and how incredibly dangerous this is late game. Easily my favorite member of this team.

Threat List:
(Credit goes to Haunter and LonelyNess)
Red = High Threat
Orange = Moderate Threat
Green = No threat

Mismagius – A bit of a stinker. If it comes in on Registeel then it's one of those stupid Taunt/Wow Mismagius that has gotten popular recently, and in that case I go to Honchkrow to Pursuit it to death (as those sets never carry any other attacking move other than Shadow Ball). CM versions are left to Registeel. If it gets set up to the point where I'm fucked, I go to my 3 priority users to get rid of the sub and take it out: Honchkrow sucker punch breaks sub as it T-bolts, Hitmontop Bullet Punches (+ 1 Shadow Ball doesn't OHKO so I'm able to get 2 Bullet Punches in), and Donphan Ice Shards.

Blaziken - Lanturn resists fire Blast, and Donphan can take a Super Power, but either way something's going to die. I can revenge kill it easily though with Roserade, Honchkrow, or Hitmontop.

Roserade – Registeel or if I've saw my opponent use Sleep Powder before then I'll go to Honchkrow. Not a big threat though, and Hitmontop can survive a neutral Leaf Storm with around 20%, so I can actually even get a Bulk Up first and then proceed to deal with it (for non-Sleep Powder variants).

Registeel – Roserade Sleeps, or I can go to Donphan, Honchkrow, or Hitmontop

Milotic – I'll usually go to Lanturn, or If I can predict a Toxic or Surf I'll go to Roserade to scare it off.

Steelix – Roserade, Honchkrow, and set up bait for Hitmontop and Registeel (assuming no roar)

Ambipom – Registeel and Donphan

Hitmontop – Donphan

Honchkrow – Honckrow leads are also one of my favorite leads to play as I always Sludge Bomb first turn and set up Toxic Spikes second turn (they usually Sucker Punch). LO variants are harder to deal with, but Donphan can come in, take a hit, and Ice Shard for the kill.

Spiritomb- Roserade 2HKO's with Leaf Storm. Registeel and Hitmontop both resist the CroTomb set and are able to set up on it.

Arcanine- Kinda difficult, but i'm able to play around it most of the time. Lanturn can come in on a Flare Blitz, and Extremespeed only does around 35% to me, so I can surf him to hell. Donphan also can come in on physical arcanine too. Hitmontop helps finish off weakened Arcanines.

Clefable- As long as it doesn't have Encore, it's set up bait for Registeel and Hitmontop. Lanturn usually draws this out and I go straight to Honchkrow to pursuit it.

Azumarill- Lanturn scares it off, and Registeel can easily take an Aqua Jet and set up on it if. Never really had a problem with this pokemon.

Claydol - Honchkrow traps it and kills it with Pursuit. Otherwise, it's set up bait for Registeel. Most Claydol don't pack Psychic but I'm usually conservative and don't bring Hitmontop into this one.

Espeon – Honchkrow and Registeel counter nicely, as does Lanturn.

Regirock – Donphan and Hitmontop can come in easy, and others are just waiting to take it out.

Uxie- 252/+ Speed lead Uxies piss me off, but other than that he's not a problem. Most Uxies are usually leads anyway, so I go to Honchkrow

Yanmega – Registeel and Lanturn

Slowbro- Honchkrow, Lanturn, and Roserade if I expect a Surf

Chansey- If I can get Honckrow in safely, then I won't be seeing Chansey again the rest of the match. As I've said before, Lanturn and Roserade draw this girl out quick and she's never a problem to deal with.

Hariyama- Has never been a problem, but I've only played a handful.

Feraligatr- This one can be a bitch. Something usually dies if this gets on the field. I usually go to my 3 Priority Attackers to deal a 1-2-3 punch to take it out. Toxic Spikes reeeally help bring Feraligatr down, and if I still have Donphan at or near full health I can bring him and decide what to do from there. I've never gotten swept by a Feraligatr though.

Toxicroak- Not really a problem. Lanturn and Registeel draw this out the most. Donphan can come in on the Physical variants, and Lanturn usually has a sub up Toxicroak comes in so I get to see right away what kind of Toxicroak he is.

Moltres- Moltres is my team's biggest problem. Lanturn helps soothe the pain nicely. StallTres is hard to deal with also. If Lanturn gets knocked out I'm in trouble. Moltres isn't exactly a game-breaker, as I've won plenty of matches where my opponent has used Moltres, but it is still very dangerous to play against.

Ludicolo- Registeel and Roserade w/o Rain, Lanturn with rain. Honchkrow does massive damage against offensive Ludicolo with Sucker Punch too

Kabutops- Lanturn counters some versions of it, but Roserade and Hitmontop work best.

Absol – It's fragile as hell. Donphan can come in, but usually I'll send out Hitmontop to Mach Punch it

Hitmonlee & Other Fighters- Donphan

Venusaur- Roserade resists his grass attacks and so does Registeel and Honchkrow can deal with defensive versions. Sub/Swords Dance Venasaur is never a problem though. Donphan's Ice Shard and Honchkrow's Sucker Punch take care of it nicely

Magmortar- Lanturn

Sceptile – Kinda tricky, but I usually send out Registeel to see what kind it is.

-------------------------------------------------------

Closing comments:
So there's my team. I've gotten as high as 38th on the UU ladder before I had to go to college and I felt as if I didn't even touch this team's potential. It's able to exploit many teams with either a Registeel or Hitmontop sweep. I know this team is pretty good, I've used it and had plenty of success with it. I hope my team idea got across well and I'm really hoping for some positive feedback.

Questions/Comments/Feeback are always nice :)

Thanks for reading!

Btw Haunter if you are reading this, I'm sorry, but your format for your last RMT was very clean and to the point which is why I used it. Hope you didn't mind :P

I like this team. It's well constructed and seems solid, but as you said, Moltres can cause you problems. I suggest Curse Regirock over Registeel to deal with this. He's able to counter Ambipom and Yanmega pretty well too, walling the former and threatening the latter. He draws out bulky waters as well, so the synergy with TSpikes isn't lost either.

Regirock @ Leftovers
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP/ 4 Atk/ 240 SDef/ 12 Spe
Careful Nature
-Curse
-Stone Edge/Rock Slide
-Rest
-Sleep Talk

Curse Regirock has its ups and downs compared to Registeel. He has less resistances and more weaknesses, making switching more difficult. But he resists both of Moltres' STABs and threatens with a STAB Rock attack, allowing you to Curse up. He also has less base SDef than Registeel, but his base Atk and Def is higher, so less Atk investment is needed and can be put into SDef and has better physical bulk. Finally, his STAB attack hits more targets for neutral/super effective damage, being resisted by less and super effective against more.

I prefer Rock Slide over Stone Edge, as the lack in power isn't very noticable after one or two Curses. And the flinch rate could be useful against slower or paralyzed targets. But it's all up to preference really.

I think this will help you out a bit with your Moltres problem, and it won't hinder your team too much as Regirock counters a lot of the same major threats that your team faces that Registeel does, along with Moltres.

Hope this helps!

On paper, the switch to Regirock does make sense and does clear up my Motres problem very well (still weak to LO HP Grass, but what else can I do? :P).

However, and I'm just theorymon'ing here, but the switch to Regirock would open up more holes for my team. Regirock at least resisted water, and If I make the switch from Registeel to Regirock, then I'm losing even more matchups. For instance, LO Roserade runs through my team, and Feraligatr and Sceptile would have an easier time sweeping as well. I'm also afraid that, when it comes down to it, both my main defensive walls (Donphan and Regirock) are both forced out by bulky waters of any style.

I really appreciated the idea though! It does sound do-able and still worth testing, but I'm pretty worried about how it affects the way I counter offensive threats and bulky waters.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)