Gen 3 Team Donbreon

Well this is it. My ace. Now that I have retired from the game, I’d like to share this with anyone still interested in the Adv generation of Pokemon. I've used this team a ton in the past few months and have beaten the best in the business with it. It’s unique for sure, and in my opinion, it’s a lot of fun to use. This is the premiere and public release of the DonBreon©, my own personal creation. Without further ado, I present:

Team Donbreon (TDB)

Salamence (M) @ Leftovers ** Lord Rasputin I
Trait: Intimidate
EVs: 112 HP / 252 Atk / 144 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Dragon Dance
- Earthquake
- Hidden Power [Flying]
- Rock Slide

I lead him for the intimidation and then I typically clean up with him late game. He does fine as a fighting counter. Fast enough for adamant Cross. I'm not afraid to get him statused or dirty in the trenches, because I have heal bell and wish support backing him up.

Medicham (M) @ Choice Band ** SSJ Hammer Time
Trait: Pure Power
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Fake Out
- Hi Jump Kick
- Rock Slide
- Shadow Ball

The beast. With good prediction this thing is a monster. With bad prediction...this thing is a monster. This guy breaks open stall teams like no ones business. I love fake out a whole bunch. There is no penalty for punching something faster in the nose with fake out, and then switching to someone else. I like this guy because he can 2HKO Skarmory. It’s things like that that give me a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. I sometimes run Duggy in this spot as well.

Starmie @ Leftovers ** Law Enforcement
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 212 HP / 116 Def / 148 Spd / 32 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Surf

This guy is a super utility player, but lays down the law when necessary. He's bulky, but fast enough for a one dragon dance Ttar. He doesn't get pushed around by a Skarmory with substitute, which is nice. Ice beam’s for dragons.

Steelix (F) @ Leftovers ** The Pika Chewer
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Atk / 2 Def / 4 Spd / 236 SDef
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Explosion
- Roar
- Toxic

So who uses Steelix in OU anyway? Um, me. I play around with this guy's set quite a bit and have a hard time settling on one, but this works fine. Sometimes I put rockslide over toxic. This fella has great resistances, and with wish and leech seed support, stands up to all types of physicals. It is also EV'd to take on electrics if need be. If this guy is not needed defensively anymore, or I'm losing, I like to blow up on a bulky water and set up a Mence sweep. =)

Celebi @ Leftovers ** TGRI Ooze
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 240 HP / 60 Def / 20 Spd / 92 SAtk / 96 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Heal Bell
- Psychic
- Leech Seed
- Recover

Leech seed makes last Pokémon Snorlax and Suicune, as well as many others, easy to take down. He's a much needed status cleaner.

Umbreon (F) @ Leftovers ** Silent Eclipse
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 HP / 56 Def / 200 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Baton Pass
- Protect
- Psych Up
- Wish

Well, here it is. Meet DonBreon. She is a full support Umbreon designed by myself sometime back. DonBreon specializes in getting wish support, through wish passing, to flimsy but powerful sweepers (like Medicham) as well as any Pokémon with low HP that is incapable of receiving a hit before getting a wish. She doesn’t seem very intimidating, but if used correctly she can be a terror. The fun and brilliance occurs when she uses psych up on calm minds, curses, and other stat uppers, and baton passes them on. I plan on putting up a full analysis of DonBreon in the near future.

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
Skarmory + Dusclops (or, to a lesser extent, Gengar) Pokemon walls your entire team and sets up spikes. Skarmory roars away Umbreon's attempts to heal designated Pokemon, walls your set-up sweeper, and can come in on both Celebi and Steelix and set up endless spikes, switching to Dusclops to seal them when you try to blow them away with Starmie's Rapid Spin. The common Calm STing Zapdos walls your entire team and dishes out powerful Thunderbolts. Your counters, Celebi and Steelix, do very little to stop it and can be stalled out of PP to take it down.

In essence, an amateur stall team should do you in quite easily.

Your "stall breaker," Medicham, is easily worn down by opponent stall teams, and if it happens to go down (via Dugtrio, or misprediction, or anything else) your team is rather offenseless.

You seem to have mixed feelings on whether you should be walling or attacking, due to your choice in Pokemon. For example, Steelix, while it is a great wall and beats out most electrics, is only an easy way for your opponent to bring in game-threatening attackers (such as DDmence and Gyarados) or spikers to set up on you. Steelix is too defensive of a pokemon for an offensive team, who only truly benefits from the addition of spikes. This, too, counts for your attackless Umbreon, whom is even further bait for such sweepers as the aforementioned Salamence and Gyarados.

Focus on powerful defense or powerful offense, never both. You could easily swap Umbreon for a more offensive wisher, for example, such as Jirachi. Likewise for Steelix, Snorlax with Fire Blast to deter Skarmory will serve you well as an electric counter. Of course, this means you'd have to rethink your team's structure so that you can eliminate weaknesses to common overused Pokemon.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
Psych Up's been done before. It'd be better with Taunt (and perhaps Moonlight if you can't get Wish to work without Protect) since you can still get phazed. However, Snatch has been a far superior option, IMO, for the ability to take Subs, Recovery, and screens in the same process. Why do that when you can just switch in an copy stats, also considering that you might not Snatch anything next turn? Because you run the risk of messing around with a Swords Dancer or getting para'd or frozen and etc. With Snatch, you'll be predicting, and when you predict right (which isn't too hard to do with a couple of mind games) you won't have been hurt in the process.

But then again, I'm just an Umbreon-loving guy who likes to rant about it.

Also, Taunt DDTar has few issues crippling this team midgame.

bellyzard weak!

im also curious how you get around DD mence and DD tar, considering it only takes a bit of wear n tear till steelix and starmie (your 2 best counters) are going to be KOed the turn after you switch in. i dont consider starmie a bulky water. (and i find the list of threats for a team gets tripled without the inclusion of swamp/cune/milo/vappy somewhere)

but if it works for you, whatever floats your boat/sharpens your pencil..

Thanks for the feedback fellas.

Karrot,

I agree that spikes plus dusclops is tough. To be real though, what rapid spinner can really do anything about it? If dusclops isn't around then starmie shuts down skarmory just fine.

Sleep talk zappy really isnt scary at all. Not only do celebi and steelix do fine with it, but umbreon gets a switch in. Getting umbreon in is key here.

I guess I need to explain how I use umby. She is essentially EV'd as a special wall. 380 special def I believe. The idea with my umbreon is to never stay stagnant. 1) Switch umby into zapdos. 2) dry baton pass out next turn. Zapdos will likely leave b/c umby is a special defensive beast. If this is the case, you see the switched in pokemon and you get to bp to the appropriate counter. If zappy decides to stay in, umby takes a tbolt like a champion, and allows medicham to get into play unscathed.

You seem to have mixed feelings on whether you should be walling or attacking, due to your choice in Pokemon
Plan A: Maintain defense with 5 guys and devastate with medicham. When I get the opportunity, I switch in umby and dry baton pass, or wish pass to medicham. Rinse, and repeat.
Plan B: Use toxic or try to blow up steelix on a bulky water to set up a mence sweep.
Plan C: Use psych up and let my opponent beat himself
Plan D: Pray to baby Jesus for some Mence rockslide hax.

Focus on powerful defense or powerful offense, never both.
I disagree. You clearly know your Pokemon Karrot, but I suppose we just have a difference in battling styles.

Synch,

I like your umbreon enthusiasm. I played with snatch quite a bit before I went to psych up. I actually really like it, but its not as reliable against cm'ers, and it doesn't snatch curses! No idea why it wouldn't work for curse but it doesn't. This is the set for me.

morning storm,

Bellyzard! I guess starmie is the counter. I also try to cleverly defuse the situation by switching between intimidating mence and fly resist steelix.

In general, Starmie and Steelix take a shit load of defensive abuse. I rely heavily on wish support. Leech seed actually makes quite a difference too on a switched in ttar. Again, if I can cleverly get an intimidate in with mence on an eq or focus punch, it helps too.

bullfrogegg8,

Death star seems like it can kill this team.
I'm fully aware of the devastation that death star can cause. If I run into one, I simply tuck my head between my knees and kiss my ass goodbye.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
VILTar gives you huge problems, and so does Hypnosis + Focus Punch Gengar (especially with Spikes in play).

I must say I really like this team Donny, and I'm gonna miss you on Netbattle =P

Lexay

I could be boned!
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
because clearly he prefers more hp than attack
just like you prefer brick break over hi jump kick

what a worthless post

cookie

my wish like everyone else is to be seen
is a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Maybe try Rhydon>Steelix with Swords Dance/Sub to beat Skarmclops? It gives you normal/flying resist and if you go with Jirachi>Umbreon that should suffice to cover CBGross.

You could also go with a bulky Zapdos that gives Skarmclops a hard time, and at the same times offering Steel/Flying resist, but no Normal but Celebi can handle Snorlax in a pinch. It leaves you wide open against rock attacks, though.

zOMG, BB and Focus Punch are both good moves. Reliable and powerful respectively. It's just a preference thing. I have way too much fun with Fake Out to give it up and I like HJK for the extra power.

DragonDance, I like the max attack over the extra HP for more sweeping potential.

Cookie, I love Rhydon. That's an interesting direction you're going with that. It would definitely give the team a different feel. I think I'd have to revamp a lot to make it work though.

Dekzeh,

I'm gonna miss you bro! Keep in touch, I'll let you know if I'm ever in Brazil.

Um um um you might wanna add something in there to stop Gyarados and Heracross. They seem very disruptive!!!

Zapdos can help against both resisting their STABs!!!!! I'd put that over the seemingly useless Umbreon dun dun dun.

Thanks for taking a look at my squad Aeroblacktyl.

You bring up Heracross and Gyarados. For Heracross, you're not gonna find too many guys better equipped to deal with the bugger than Mence. I mean, he's no skarm or weezing, but he handles the job just fine. He doesn't wear down that easy, because he compliments Umbreon's weaknesses real well, and as a result gets wish support fairly easy.

Gyarados is a much more legit concern. What I do is switch Mence in, in order to intimidate Gyra and then rockslide it. One of the biggest reasons I have rs on Mence is for Gyarados. This isn't a great solution, but I find it good enough to get by most of the time. I suppose I could always go boom with steelix if I'm scared shitless of a Gyra sweep.

You called the DonBreon a
seemingly useless Umbreon
Oh no he didn't! Lol, only playing. A lot of people's first reaction to my Umbreon is "is that all?". She actually does a lot of good things for my team:
1) She's a special wall
2) She provides wish support to dangerously low HP Pokemon and flimsy ones.
3) She counters calm minders with psych up
4) She counters cursers with psych up as well
5) She can use psych up on other stat uppers and really screw with baton pass teams
6) She lures in CB'ers like nobody's business, and then can use protect to scout their move.
7) She can use her ability Synchronize to switch into will-o-wisps, t-waves, etc to status the opponent right back. (This is novelty, but can really f*ck over weezing or dusclops or toxic vaporeon or something)
8) Most importantly, she allows Medicham to be put into play (with a dry baton pass or a wish pass) without taking a hit. Any legit Pokemon battler will admit that Medicham is one of the scariest things you can come up against. The more rotations in, the scarier.

jrrrrrrr

wubwubwub
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Fake Out is a much more useful move than Focus Punch, especially considering his aforementioned weaknesses to certain pokemon (Gyarados and Heracross can both be picked off with a CB FO). Considering that Medicham is the only "frail" pokemon that Donny has, using Fake Out to avoid being hit can be much safer than trying to predict things with Focus Punch, failing, and then losing most of the team's offensive power. You've said the same thing twice in the same topic, z0MG, and you've been ignored both times. Maybe there's a reason??

On topic, your team is also very weak to VILtar (sub/focuspunch/hp bug/rock slide), although it has a tough time switching in.

Good team overall, that Umbreon set is probably the best CurseLax counter in the game, with the added benefit of stopping your CMRaikou/CMSuicune weaknesses.

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
Taunt/WoW Gengar or Weezing are obviously the best Curselax counters in the game. Umbreon is just cooler.

dekzeh

B is for BRUTUS
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
More like Taunt/WoW Dusclops because Gengar still gets destroyed by a WoW'd Shadow Ball >.>'

i dont understand why focus punch is so important

if you're going to be KOing them on the switch with it, if you were using BB or HJK you could just use it again next turn to KO which you wouldnt be able to do with focus punch.

if you were wanting to do more damage to something like mence, you'd be using rockslide anyway, and BB/HJK is going to KOing the fast frail stuff that could KO you before you could use it again (like aerodactyl etc)

focus punch is actually circumstantial, not the other moves imo. its use it against things which you are not going to be KOing in 2 moves with BB/HJK AND would want to switch out after the first one from threat. whos that? weezing (drr), suicune? and of course those things resistent. (but of course if you're predicting something resistent you use the corresponding SE move)

and zOMG you say rockslide KOs gar anyway, rockslide will not KO dusclops or celebi (2 common switch ins)

overall fake out is awesome for many tight situations, rock slide and shadowball are necessary for counters, and BB/HJK are obligatory. focus punch would be nice but so are most 5th move options.

I'm glad others see the usefulness of Fake Out. It's really a lot of fun, it helps it tight spots, and it is pretty risk-free. Risk-free and not taking hits is important when I rely on Medicham so much for offense.

I have a WAR STORY that I wrote that I would like to share with you all. On a turn by turn basis, it is true, but I had some fun with it. Enjoy!

“Balls. Hairy, bearded, goat balls," I muttered to myself. “What the hell am I gonna do about that thing.”

It was the middle of a match, and my opponent had just brought in Salamence on my Celebi’s Psychic. With a wounded team, I was running short on options to take care of the dragon that had just been brought out in front of me.

Starmie had taken a beating early on, and was within one-hit KO range. My own Salamence was probably my next best counter, however, he had taken some major abuse earlier too. Celebi sure wasn’t sticking around to get his hiney handed to him. Now with my options running thin, I thought it was time to do something drastic. I switched in my healthy Umbreon. My idea was to baton pass Starmie in, so he could take care of the Mence problem.

On the switch, Salamence started to shake his booty, he did a dragon dance, if you will. Shit, now Mence has +1 attack, +1 speed.

I looked down at Umby and gave her her command. She nodded in agreement. The next turn, Mence did the Electric Slide. Not the classic, but the new Electric Slide! He increased his speed and attack to +2 a piece. Umby then copied his stat boost with Psych Up!

Umbreon then began to dance around in excitement. She was fired up! Out of nowhere, she began to utter all types of things at the dragon in front of her. Up until this point, I wasn’t even sure she had a mouth. All of a sudden she started yelling, “UMBY EON, EON, Eon UM UM UM breo, breo UM UM UMBLE BUTTER breon breoooo eon!" I later found out that this roughly translates into “suck it.” Apparently when you psych up a couple dragon dances, weird shit happens to ya.

All I’m thinking to myself is, I hope Mence doesn’t eat my black pal on the next turn. I ordered Umbreon to baton pass on the following turn, and I crossed my fingers, hoping she would survive Mence’s strike. To my surprise, Mence was going for the gold; he started doing some moves you would expect in a 1984 Michael Jackson music video. His attack went to +3 and his speed went to +3. “Flaming midget tricycle stunt doubles!” I exclaimed, in an attempt to keep my frustration PG. Now my brilliant idea to get Starmie into play was foiled, because Mence was now faster.

So there I was. With a baton. With no place for it to go. Then…it came to me.

“Medicham go!” Medicham came into play and received the baton. He felt the speed and attack boost surging through him, and he smiled at me. He then turned to the Salamence in front of him and promptly pooped his pants. Mence was wearing one glove, and getting down to Billy Jean. Medicham turned back to me and muttered, “I hate you.” I then got on one knee and whispered into his ear. He shook his head reluctantly, but he, and his soiled drawers, got back into the action.

My opponent laughed victoriously. “gg,” he said. He then gave Mence the signal to attack, and the dragon reared its head. Just as he began to lunge toward Medicham….

WHAAAMMM!!! He was met by a choice banded, +2 attack, Pure Power, priority move! Fake out slammed the giant right in the snout, and the beast crumbled right in front of me, KO. Medicham fell backward from the impact, but remained unscathed. Lying on his back, he smiled, and we both knew we had just won the match.

“gg, Medicham, gg.”

Karrot

plant
is a Past WCoP Champion
Hahaha, that's really why Fake Out is so useful. Although Focus Punch is a great prediction move with a lot of power behind it, the situational usefulness of Fake Out makes it a hundred times more favorable then predicting and possibly failing with Focus Punch (even when your other fighting move is running off of STAB and 720 Attack, which is already a lot!).

I remember in a friendly battle with Warthog I did some major prediction with Medicham and Fake Out'd an Exeggutor on the fourth turn of Sunny Day. Next turn, I switched in a Zapdos to absorb the Solar Beam as the sun went down, and that was the end of the Exeggutor sweep!

Not sure how exactly that went about, but that's what I remember. (Although sometimes my memory lies to me!)

Umby

is a Contributor Alumnus
Out of the sheer, nagging technicality that I am always obliged to mention, Fake Out is not completely risk free.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)