Team dude. Peaked 5# on TU and 8# on Smogon

Dude
In
troduction

Hello everyone and welcome to my latest shot at a RMT. This team was made in May and was at first thought to be my retiring team, a team with pokemons i liked and movesets i liked. But it turned out i just liked the team a bit too much. Since then the Smogon server has been down and troubling so that's why i went over to TeamUber. As the title is indicating i have had 2 leaderboard peaks under 10# on two different servers which i've never done before. Now i've not been laddering seriously for around two weeks and for the comeback i need some advice since i'm aiming at 1# on the TU leaderboard. I'll now give you some team building process to show you what went through my mind when creating this team.

Team Bulding

Sorry for the short team building comments but since this was mean't to be a unserious team i don't have my mind map from making this team left.

So when i first made this team it was mean't to be a joke team as a said, thus i could a bit unprofessionaly, start with the lead. Gyarados has ever since i started competetive playing around 2 years ago been my lead of choice due to the ease to setup on many common leads in OU.

Next guy in was Infernape. The reason why is to my memory not clear, it's just always been there in this team and has been working with moderate sucess so i've never thought about replacing it. For the set i wanted to run mixed scarfer, a set that has one of the whole pokemon worlds best coverage.

Looking at my team i saw i had 2/3 of the f/w/g core so i thought i could aswell finish what i had started. Celebi was going in with a support SR set.

I also saw i had another core going, the celetran core. Heatran, you are in. I have tried alot off different sets for this Heatran but scarf was in the end dominent, so scarf it is.

Next in was Breloom. The reason has like apes reason gone lost in my memory but this guy also works awesomesauce so there is no reason to consider changing him neither.

So kingdra is next in. Once again i am speechless why it was in here but i think it had something to do with it's amazing typing matching the rest of the team...or something along those lines.

So kingdra was not really productive. It was always resisted by something and did just about never have the right conditions to pull off the sweep that the set is aiming for. Next i felt the "resistence guy" was needed. The one who can come in on many different attacks and don't take a squat but is able to attack back, hopefully for the K0, Gengar it is. IN.

Next i was totally walled by dual-bulkiness. Cresselia, Suicune and Dusknoir was all walling me pretty easily and only the bane of their existence were often enough to slowly take down my team. Looking at all three of those pokemons they are weak to Rotoms STAB moves. Though Rotom is naturally weak and cannot do alot of damage with example Leftovers, i need something that packs like a punch, Choice Specs.

When i say something that packs like punch i wasn't looking for what Rotom was doing for me. It usually ended up Tricking away it's Spec and it was in all honestly quite terrible. Now with the latest addition off Metagross to my team it's now finished. And i promise you CBGross does really pack a punch.

----------
Team at a glance
----------

.|.
.|.
.|.
.|.
.|.

Let's Go In Depth Dude

Gyarados
Leftovers
Adamant nature
252 HP 176 Df 80Spe

Dragon dance
Waterfall
Stone edge
Earthquake

So this team is leaded by what has been a huge threat since pokemon first came out, the Gyarados. Gyarados has a great combination of types to set up as a lead, and then often proceed to sweep. Although Gyarados is one of the best anti-leads in OU it will decrease in usefulness the higher on the ladder you'll climb. On the lower parts people leading with say Forry for instans go setup Sr + 3 layers of spikes while i put up 4 Dragon dances. Then it's gooodbye and he's team will wipe. The moveset is standard for the normal DDGyara. People are gonna argue that Taunt would be usefull on this but really, it's not. You'll usually don''t find the time to both Taunt and DD up, and most leads that you aiming to Taunt are faster than you and can SR before you Taunt them, see Azelf etc.

The other usefulness from Gyarados is it's ability which i'm sure you all are familiar with, Intimidate. The ability to late-game come and put your head in the door saying "screw you" to Nite or Luke or whatever you are aiming to play this joke on.

I said it before but i'm now gonna go in depth with the synenergy of Gyarados typing. Rotom and Jolteon are obviously common switch ins on my DD since they can both put an end to my sweep in just one move. On Jolteon i go in to my Celebi to set up rocks of my own and if i see a defensive Rotom set i usually do that on them to. From there on i usually set up SR and U-Turn out to scout for counters. The Rock weakness is really not anything that worries Leados the slightest since the only lead that carries them are Aero and Ttar which both gets hit hard by Waterfall not to mention Intimidate screw them over. Gyarados is as mentioned earlier also a part of the f/w/g core that this team runs on. The EV spread is quite random and it's mean't to give a huge physicall bulk while still remaining fast.

Infernape
Life orb
Adamant nature
252 Atk 4 Df 252 Spe

Close combat
U-Turn
Flareblitz
Thunderpunch

Infernape has always been a staple on this team even though it has changed moveset completly once. I were runnin Scarf variant but with the addition of choiced Rotom and Metagross i felt i had to put LO on here since my playstyle don't like switching around that much. Unlike Gyarados Infernape has a wide movepool to choose from even if it want to be a physical sweeper. It can utilize CC, all punches and U-Turn. Now what i like with this mon is that he doesn't have a special time in the battle where you just about have to sweep with him or he will be useless. Even though he likes to do early game scouting with Celebi he can aswell come in lategame and CC through whole teams.

Infernape also works as my stallbreaker. Ape is problably the only pokemon in the game that can act as that with a full out physical moveset. The only few problems as a wallbreaker he will find is Gliscor and Hippowdon which both can OHKO him with EQ whilst you can't do that much to him. If any off the two posted above is thrown out against ape i usually U-Turn out into Celebi if i don't have Stealth rocks up and if i have Gyarados can always come in and setup on those.

The FlareBlitz >> Fire punch decision is simple, you cannot wallbreak good with a such a weak move. Blitz is 100% needed to deal the extra damage on Skarmory. Thunderpunch is obviously on this moveset to kill Gyarados.

Celebi
Leftovers
Jolly nature
252 HP 4 Df 252 Spe

Stealth rock
Thunder-wave
U-Turn
Recover

Celebi has ever since competetive pokemons were invented (or atleast since i started playing ;D) been a top-noche supporter which is something that i utilize to fully in this moveset. I have choosen to give it max HP to be able to come in to hits and setup SR easier and if i can, i can T-wave them before i go down. But that's not all of it's uses. It's often used as a early game scout with Infernape.

Celebi is the last part on my team of the f/w/g core and is the first part of my CeleTran combmo. If anyone is not familiar with CeleTran i can shortly sum up how great it is. It resists everything excpept for Rock, which doesn't hit any of them for 2x or 4x damage. I don't think you can find that anywhere else, atleast not competetivly. Celebi has quite some weaknesses in Fire, Ghost, Dark, Ice and a nasty 4x to bug which really can screw you over. For example a CBScizor U-Turn will OHKO 100% of the time according to my calcs (and experience). Bug is not really a problem to my team though since i have plenty of resistance to it. Ice is neither a trouble with four resistances and Dark/Ghost neither is. For Fire i have three weaknesses though i have the same amount of resistances (ir actually one is immune). The choice of item should ofc not be discussed here since nothing excet Lefties could ever work.

Heatran
Choice scarf
Timid nature
252 Sp.Ak 252 Spe 4 Df

Fire blast
Earth power
Dark pulse
HP electric

So we have came to the revenge killer of my team Heatran. At first i were running a Modest nature but after a speed tie against another TimidScarfTran (or actually it wasn't a speed tie since he was Timid) that totally changed the outcome of a game i decided to switch to Timid. Since that i think i've won quite some speed ties. At first i were also running HP Grass over electric but i found out i were quite Gyara weak so i changed.

Heatran obviously has one main weakness in form of Ground (4x). On those hits i only have one guy who can come in, a half suicide lead so that quite sucks. Though i don't know about changing anything about that since Breloom can come in and revenge Spore most things that will be throwing out EQs. The other weakness it has is 2x to Water. This is not a problem at all since Gyara, Celebi and Breloom all resists it. I might consider changing Dark pulse since most things it's supposed to hit gets are frail and also gets killed by Fire blast. Thus Dark pulse often works as a last out if im out of PP or i just have to hit and can risk a 15% miss.

Breloom
Toxic orb
Adamant nature
252 HP 4 Df 252 Atk

Spore
Substitute
Mach punch
Focus punch

Breloom has as all other pokemons yet been here since the start and am in my mind not gonna be changed out. Breloom has since the ban of Salamence taken a huge step forward and is now considered as one of the best pokemons in the tier. Though it's not really a sweeper it's somewhat of a own type. It's sleep support-sweep-Sub. I think you all know how this works with the setting up process and stuff. What i though have done here is i have replaced Seed bomb with Mach punch because i felt i needed some priority in this team. And hitting Weavile with suprise is always as cool as left time. People argue Seed bomb is better for etc Suicune, but im not even convinced that it does more damage than Focus punch.

Typing now. Fire and Ice goes pretty much to the same as it did in the Celebi description. Psychic is not used at all in OU except for on some Jirachi sets so screw you, and pretty much the same goes for Flying but it's used on Togekiss instead. Though there it is used all the time.

Metagross
Choice band
Adamant nature
252 HP 4 Df 252 Atk

Meteor mash
Earthquake
Bullet punch
Thunderpunch

Here comes some real artillery. STAB Meteor mash with Band equppied is not something you can play around with since it can hit things can resists it really hard. Thunderpunch over Ice punch here was not really obvious and i might change it to Explosions or something. No single speed EV invested no Jolly nature nothing that has with Speed to do but it's just not really needed.

Typewise it's weak to Ground,Bug(IIRC) and Fire. I don't really think i have to go this through since i've done it five times earlier.

That's about it. I will edit in some more descriptions for Metagross and some strategy talk but feel free to give rates before that is done.

Thanks for reading hope you learn some (i guess)

DUDE

Scizor - Heatran Metagross and Gyarados all checks it
Tyranitar - Different from set to set but never really a trouble. Gyara can always come in and Intimidate
Heatran - Tran comes in on Fire moves Gyara can also come in.
Gyarados - Gyara can kill Ape can kill and Metagross can kill
Metagross - Heatran and Breloom can counter.
Jirachi - Different from set to set but Heatran often checks.
Infernape - Heatran
Lucario - Gross, Gyara all that shit
Gengar - Heatran
Rotom-H - Heatran
Swampert - Breloom
Starmie - Against choiced users i can switch into the move locked into LO can cause some troubles.
Blissey- Breloom Gyara Gross and Ape
Azelf - Rarely seen and always easy
Gliscor - Gyara can kill or badly hurt.
Magnezone - Metagross can kill Heatran can kill
Skarmory - Heatran
Machamp - Heatran can badly hurt. Shit everything can badly hurt.
Vapereon - Metagross
Breloom - Gyara Intimidate. something sleep fodder. rest kill
Dragonite - Gyara Intimidate rest kill
Zapdos - Heatran
Flygon - Gyarados Intimidate Metagross kills on ones locked in Outrage
Kingdra - Gyara Intimidates Breloom sets up
Suicune - Metagross
Celebi - Metagross
Jolteon - Heatran
Empoleon - Once it has setten up Loom can Mach punch
Forretress - Tran Ape
Bronzong - Tran
Togekiss - Everything
Electivire - Mixvire Lolol
Snorlax - Ape and Loom
Aerodactyl - Loom and Gross
Weavile - Loom
Tentacruel - Like everything
Dusknoir - Gross
Mamoswine - Everything
Roserade - Easy to lazy to post why
Smeargle - Lol? Never seen one
Hippowdon - Loom and Gross
Ninjask - Dickheads
Heracross - Gyara can Intimidate and shit can kill
Rotom-W - Heatran
Porygon-Z - Ape and Loom
Cresselia - Gross
Rotom-C- Heatran
Umbreon - Loom and Ape.

Nice team, I have always been a fan of lead Gyrados.

I think you probably have too much bulk on your Gyra, and a little bit more attack could be useful.

156hp/72 attack/96 defence/184 speed
Adamant

This gives you plenty of duel bulk, it's bassically the smogon spread, but with the defence ev's taken out, because they are for a choice band quick attack from scizor to 2hko after rocks. The extra speed and offensive will help you sweep late game when you can only get one DD up as they switch to a counter. It allows you to outspeed starmie, and the bulky varients cannot OHKO you doing (73.5% - 87.6%).

On Infernape, I would suggest overheat instead of flare blitz. It doesn't lower you Hp with recoil, it has a higher base power, and if you think about it, the pokemon you are hitting with a fire move are generally more weak on the special side. Metagross, Hippowdon, Gliscor, Brelloom, Celebi (no one uses a sp.def celebi always bold/timid), weezing. move 64 ev's in special attack and use a naive nature, this gives you almost the same power as a nasty plot apes fire blast (2% difference acording to smogon). Thunderpunch is an alright move, but close combat does more to water types anyway:

120 x 1.5 = 180 (close combat with stab)
75 x 2 = 150 (super effective thunderpunch)

So thunderpunch is only their for flying types really, which is why I would suggest stone edge, as it does more to all flyers except gyrados. With this new set, a combination of close combat + another attack can KO loads of common infernape switch ins. Which means you just need to spam close combat on the switch and you beat loads of walls:
- Vaporeon (2hko with close combat)
- Hippowdon (Close combat + Overheat)
- Suicune (2hko with close combat)
- Gliscor (Close combat + Overheat
- Gyrados (Close combat + Stone edge + stealth rocks)
- Dragonite (Close combat + Stone edge)
- Zapdos (Close combat + Stone edge_
- Rotom (Overheat)
- Heatran (Close combat)
- Blissey (Close combat)
- Shuckle (Close combat + Stone edge)

I can't think of any more, but you get the idea.

Hey, got your PM. Man, haven't rated in a while, lets hope I've still got it :P

Threats
Offensive Suicune
Offensive Starmie
Bulky DD Gyarados w/ Bounce
Dragon Dance Dragonite
Chesto Rest Kingdra

Alright, Offensive waters will be quite problematic, because sadly Celebi doesn't carry a Grass- type move to threaten them other than Thunder Wave, which certainly isn't an issue for Starmie, thanks to natural cure, and Kingdra doesn't mind if it has Rest. If its weakened before the Offensive Water type actually comes into the game, than its really "gg". Suicune can easily set up on Heatran or Metagross locked into a resisted attack, and be an annoyance with +1 Hydro Pumps/Ice Beam/Hp Electric. Starmie puts a load of pressure on this team between Hydro Pump/Ice Beam/Thunderbolt, causing you to make risky switches as each of your sweeper loses health, while Starmie keeps healthy with Recover. Dragon Dancers (Kingdra, Dragonite, Bulky Gyarados) will be troublesome as well, getting set up opportunities on Heatran and Metagross. Gyarados will just Taunt Celebi and kill it with a +1 Bounce. Metagross is your best bet, but with no form of recovery, and prior damage, I don't see if it could be relied as your Gyarados counter. Kingdra, especially Chesto Rest variants will set up on Celebi, Metagross, Heatran and be a nuisance with boosted Outrages and Waterfall. Dragonite is in the same boat by setting up on Heatran and Metagross and being a menace with Outrage and EQ. Heatran is your best bet against Gyarados, but risks a swift OHKO by +1 Waterfall. Kingdra and Dragonite are just something Heatran cannot threaten.

Starting with small changes, I think you should swap Metagross' and Gyarados' positions, as I feel Gyarados is your check to numerous physical threats, having it face off something like a Stone Edge Machamp early in the game will leave it weakened to handle those threats, especially due to the SR weakness. As shown in the paragraph above, Metagross is one of the two Pokemon that gives the threats opportunities to come in a resisted attack and wreck havoc. Try the standard 248 HP/232 Atk/28 Spe with a Lum Berry Adamant Nature, and Meteor Mash|Stealth Rock|Bullet Punch|Explosion. I think you should get rid of Celebi altogether and replace it with an Offensive Leech Seed Shaymin. It keeps the supporting abilities of Celebi with Leech Seed, but gives a better answer to Offensive Water Types. A 252 Satk/4 Sdef/252 Spe will suffice with a Timid Nature, and Seed Flare/Leech Seed/Earth Power/Protect, Hidden Power Fire/Ice, your choice for the last slot. Shaymin will also give you an annoyer vs Stall, and isn't dead weight against Heatran, like Celebi. Dragon Dancers can be handled by removing Choice Scarf Heatran for Choice Scarf Jirachi. 252 Atk/4 Def/252 Spe is fine with a Jolly nature, and Iron Head/Thunder Punch/Ice Punch/Trick. The change to Shaymin and Jirachi means Kingdra will get less opportunities to set up, and if it does set up, Jirachi can trick its set up useless. Take this as an optional change if you like, but have you thought about Physically Inclined Mixape over your current one? Seeing as all of Infernape's counters are handled by another member, Infernape might be helpful by luring these buggers with U-turn. Things like Swampert love switching into Physical Ape, U-turning to Breloom as they switch in might turn the match into your favor. As a bonus, it gives you priority against Scarf/DD Tyranitar and SD Lucario in case Jirachi and/or Gyarados have fallen. 252 Atk/64 Satk/192 Spe is fine with Close Combat/U-turn/Overheat/Mach Punch.

Thats pretty much it, sorry if it wasn't that good, I have tons of homework to do, so I may have missed a few threats cause of rushing.

GL

Congrats on the ladder peaks! This team looks pretty good and has a couple of unusual sets, which I like a lot. There are a couple of important weaknesses to cover though, so I'll address those.

Notable Problems

• Offensive Water-types
I'm going to agree completely with TLK here. Offensively-inclined Water-types such as some variants of Suicune and LO Starmie are among the biggest threats to your team. Both possess the same type-coverage and are able to 2HKO every member of your team without any problems. Starmie has the advantage of speed and immediate power, which puts a lot of pressure on your team and forces you to make several switches to avoid being swept. On the other hand, Suicune is potentially an even bigger problem due to its great amount of bulk and access to a stat-boosting move in Calm Mind. While Heatran could at least be depended on as a shaky check to Starmie with HP Electric, it has no hope of defeating any Suicune that manages to start getting in some Calm Minds.

Suggestions

• Replace Celebi
I'd like to mention that I've rarely ever seen a physically-based Celebi on any team. Despite its uniqueness, it suffers from a weakness to Pursuit and lacks the ability to actually do anything but hopefully Thunder Wave an incoming switch-in. My recommendation here would be to replace it with a very similar Pokemon that should do a great job at providing team support: Leech Seed + Protect Shaymin.

Shaymin@ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
EVs: 252 HP/68 SpA/188 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Seed Flare
- Hidden Power Fire

Coincidentally, Shaymin can survive an Ice Beam from LO Starmie and OHKO back with Seed Flare, but that isn't its main purpose here. Shaymin will give you a very solid switch-in to bulky Water-types, and can easily set up Leech Seed in such situations. The combination of Leech Seed, Protect, and Leftovers ensures that Shaymin will remain at very good health if played correctly. Protect also allows you to scout for Choiced attacks and further drain your opponents' HP. Hidden Power Fire rounds out the set by giving you a way to hit Steels that try to wall you, and OHKOs Scizor after Stealth Rock or Leech Seed damage.

• Change Heatran's set
One of the problems with using Leech Seed Shaymin is the loss of Stealth Rock. However, this isn't too big of a deal since Heatran can easily fit in Stealth Rock to one of its moveslots. I feel that ScarfTran is less useful in the current metagame due to the overall higher speed of most common Pokemon and the fact that is has historically been Heatran's most used set. I would recommend switching it to the standard lead set with the moves Stealth Rock, Fire Blast, Earth Power, and Explosion, along with a Passho Berry to further fix up your weaknesses to those offensive Water-types.

This change in Heatran's set may initially seem to make you weaker to DD Gyarados, but I think that you have that threat quite well-covered with your own Gyarados' Intimidate, Shaymin's bulk and ability to 2HKO with Seed Flare, and even Metagross to KO it with Thunderpunch in a pinch. Most Gyarados will not be running Earthquake as of currently and Metagross can survive any other of its common attacks, so it can work to some extent as a last resort.

Good luck with your team!

Okay so when PokeLab goes up again i will make the team like this:

LeadGross
SeedProtectShaymin
LOTRan
ScarfApe
Breloom
DDGyara

Thanks really much dudes ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)