Persian (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Limber
EVs: 170 HP/86 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Return
- U-turn
- Switcheroo
- Protect

Everyone knows this set fairly well. At first, I thought it would be gimmicky and useless, but it has proven to be a valuable member of my team. Its stats (65/70/60/65/65/115) really made me lol at first. I passed it off as a faster Luvdisc with a better defensive type. However, with access to Switcheroo and U-Turn I have really gotten some great usage out of this guy.

He is great at giving Hippopotas the dreaded Choice Band and using those Leftovers to recover some HP. I think everyone knows how it works for some bulky attackers.

Persian Orb Dood used Switcheroo.
Persian obtained Leftovers!
Hariyama obtained Choice Band!
Hariyama used Brick Break.
Purfugly's Persian fainted.

Purfugly switched in Hypno.
(Opponent) switched in Honchkrow.
Hypno used Thunder Wave.
Honchkrow is paralysed! It may be unable to move!

Giving my Hypno a free turn to use Thunder Wave is pretty useful. This has been pretty useful for giving all of my Pokemon free turns, come to think of it.

It's also useful for checking Persian "counters" in tandem with U-Turn.

Yanmega used Protect.
But it failed!
Persian used Switcheroo.
Persian obtained Expert Belt!
Yanmega obtained Choice Band!
Yanmega's Speed Boost raised its speed!

(Opponent) switched in Hypno.
Cool Orb Dood used U-turn.
It's super effective!
Hypno lost 38% of its health.
Purfugly switched in Hypno.

I got to scout for a Persian counter... although Hypno is by no means a Persian counter. I planned on using Thunder Wave on the enemy Hypno and then setting up screens, but that never... happened.

STAB Return does a pretty significant amount of damage to some leads and switch-ins.

Persian used Return.
Hypno lost 32% of its health.

Seeing as Hypno is supposed to tank up damage on both the physical and special spectra, 32% isn't unimpressive.

Protect is rarely used but helps against Fake Out leads and scouts out Hypnosis/Sleep Powder/Spore leads so I can switch to my insomniac, Hypno.

Kangaskhan (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Scrappy
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Ice Punch
- Focus Punch
- Return
- Crunch

This cutie pie was always a favorite of mine. Because of the Platinum Move Tutors, I can finally have Ice Punch + Scrappy. This thing is very capable of tearing holes through entire teams. Return + Ice Punch is all I have ever really needed, but the other two moves could prove useful in the future.

The STAB Return is capable of OHKO'ing even the most defensive Mismagius, Ambipom, Hitmonlee, Houndoom, etc. and does incredible damage to threats like Chansey and Lanturn.

I have a slight problem with this set, though. I am frustrated with how little I use Focus Punch and Crunch and how disappointing their results are. With Scrappy, Return already OHKOs almost all Ghosts, and is powerful enough to hurt the normal types that would have potentially required Focus Punch. If you have any comments or suggestions on this, please let me know. I would be glad to mix up this set to make it more dangerous.

Floatzel (F) @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bulk Up
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Return

Persian should come in handy when trying to get this thing out to allow it to set up. However, with Float's (awfully) low defenses, it is has been hard to get her out on anything, even weak attacks that aren't very effective. However, if something KO's Persian, I do have an opportunity to switch in and use Bulk Up.

This was originally chosen as a "Rain Dance" counter of sorts. However, it is still OHKO'd by Ludicolo and can do little in return due to Ludi's bulkiness. It has been able to hurt things with Waterfall and Return, but I fail to see any real reason why I should keep it. Its poor defenses do not help make up for the fact that my team has more emphasis on SpD than Def. It has been utterly useless in its original purpose (RD counter) just because there's no way to hurt half of the Swift Swimmers out there.

I would like to replace it. I am considering Weezing, Ampharos, Regice, and Registeel. Let me know which one of these I should use, if any. I am listening to other suggestions, too. If you think it's just the set, obviously, feel free to strip it away and enlighten me on a better one.

Hypno (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Insomnia
EVs: 252 HP/56 Def/200 SDef
Calm nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunder Wave
- Seismic Toss
- Reflect
- Light Screen

This thing is very annoying. Paralysis ruins so many things, and there just aren't many clerics out there doing their job.

Leftovers + Double Screens has been very helpful. When the opponent is paralyzed, I can usually set up both screens all while recovering with Leftovers. Usually, though I only have to set up one screen. Hypno's incredible SpD and decent enough physical walling capabilities allow me to survive hit after hit while setting up. Seismic Toss does a good 100 HP to non-Ghosts, which is a nice bonus under the protect of a screen.

As mentioned before, Persian really helps this set. Hypno can also help out Moltres by possibly allowing it to keep its sub for an extra turn.

Moltres @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP/148 Def/112 Spd
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Toxic
- Flamethrower
- Substitute
- Roost

Thanks to Persian, even late game Moltres can take advantage of lock-ons. Luckily, when I use this fellow in the late game, there's not much left for the opponent to switch to.

Yanmega used Bug Buzz.
It's not very effective...
Moltres lost 12% of its health.
Moltres used Substitute.
Moltres lost 25% of its health.
Moltres made a substitute!

Yanmega used Bug Buzz.
It's not very effective...
The substitute took damage for Moltres!
Moltres used Flamethrower.
It's super effective!
Yanmega lost 100% of its health.

This poor soul had no choice but to leave his Yanmega out... the calcs run at about 12% damage without the sub... with it, it does nothing. Not even break the sub.

Even outside of "not very effective" hits, Moltres excels. And though I won't post the log for this, I'll sum up the end of a stall match for you where Moltres turned the game from a (3-1) in the opponent's favor to a (1-0) in mine.

Moltres (Poisoned) v. Ambipom - 4 turns - Ambipom fainted
Moltres (Poisoned) v. Umbreon (Badly Poisoned) - Got sub up - 1 turn - Umbreon used Baton Pass
Moltres (Poisoned) v. Hariyama - Used Toxic on Hariyama - 7 turns - Hariyama fainted
Moltres (Poisoned) v. Umbreon (Badly Poisoned) - 5 turns - Umbreon fainted

Could've been longer, but 17 turns of late game stall is no short match. Roost was incredible. Not only did it heal all of the poison damage Moltres was receiving, but it also kept Hariyama's ThunderPunch from KO'ing Moltres.

And for the record, I think anything that can outstall Umbreon is a pretty good staller.

Slowking (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 212 HP/44 Def/252 SAtk
Modest nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Slack Off

This is probably the most straightforward member of my team. Low speed sucks, but I can survive plenty of hits with Slowking's great defenses. I don't have a log of it, but she has survived (only ~57%) a 2x DD Outrage from Altaria and proceeded to OHKO with non-NP Ice Beam. With Nasty Plot, Slowking takes advantage of its high SpA to OHKO a very lengthy list of UU contenders.

The attacks are obvious. However, I did consider at one point replacing Slack Off with another attacking move. I have since decided to stick with Slack Off (even though it gets limited usage), but I would still like feedback on this.

And I've yet to use this in tandem with Persian, but I'm sure it'd work with Slowking's incredible defenses + Nasty Plot.

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Anyway, thank you in advance for taking a look at my team. I am open to any suggestions as long as they are serious.

Entry Hazard Clause will rule the world one day.

(for those of you who didn't pick up on this, EH clause is game where I'm using this team)

Bye.

-edit- I have no intention to add a threat list, as they are generally long, pointless, and filled with obvious information like "Slowking beats Altaria"

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Okay so if you want a stall team, ditch persian and lead with
Roserade @ Leftovers
Calm 252 HP, 252 Sp Def, 6 Def
~Spikes
~Energy Ball / Grass Knot
~Sludge Bomb
~Rest

then Moltres takes 50% to SR OMG!!!
so I'd ditch that for maybe a Clefable with Softboiled

then replace Kanghaskan with Sub Punch Azumarill as it will hit harder

lastly, ditch Slowking in favor of perhaps an SD Toxicroak as in UU there is less benefit to hittign o nthe special side and Toxicroak is fast enough/ has access to sucker punch to prevent revenge kills

Okay so if you want a stall team, ditch persian and lead with
Roserade @ Leftovers
Calm 252 HP, 252 Sp Def, 6 Def
~Spikes
~Energy Ball / Grass Knot
~Sludge Bomb
~Rest

then Moltres takes 50% to SR OMG!!!
so I'd ditch that for maybe a Clefable with Softboiled

then replace Kanghaskan with Sub Punch Azumarill as it will hit harder

lastly, ditch Slowking in favor of perhaps an SD Toxicroak as in UU there is less benefit to hittign o nthe special side and Toxicroak is fast enough/ has access to sucker punch to prevent revenge kills
This isn't a stall team. :b

And your argument with replacing Persian and Moltres is kind of moot, as (it was implied) I'll be using this where EH Clause is game.

And, finally, you failed to address my main issue, Floatzel, and instead insisted on replacing 60% of my team with Pokemon and didn't explain what synergy would transpire from using this combination or really a decent reason for using any of those.

joshe

the best
I really think a CM Slowbro will do well here over Slowking. Slowking isn't meant to be a sweeper, and something that gets 2HKOed by Blaziken's hp-grass/electric isn't good. Slowbro will give you a much needed physical wall, and with a few Calm Minds under its belt it can make a decent sweeper and tank. Slowbro's evs should be 252 Hp/252 Def/4 SpD, Bold, the ability Own Tempo, with the moves: Calm Mind, Surf, Psychic, and Slack Off. Surf and Psychic provide you with dual stab and a combination only walled by opposing Slowbro in UU, and Sharpedo, Cacturne, Exeggutor, and Slowking. Special Attack investment is not really needed as Surf will 2HKO Chansey at +6, and Psychic will do the same 2HKO to Milotic and Lanturn. Slack Off finishes the set with a nice 50% recovery move. He also provides a great check to Poliwrath, hitting with a super-effective psychic, while poliwrath won't do much damage back. Be vary wary of MixBlaziken, and Toxic users, as Blaziken will 2HKO a +0 Slowbro (it takes 2 CM's to never be 2HKOed, adn 1 for the opponent to have a 35% chance to 2HKO with Stealth Rock), and you don't have any way of healing slowbro of the status.

Okay Floatzel needs to go, like NOW. I feel a Choice Band Azumarill will do more for your team. We can always find other ways to deal with Rain Dance teams. Azumarril provides some much needed priority in Aqua Jet to check major threats in UU such as, Blaziken, Moltres and Magmortar, aswell as anything weak to water or just weakened in general. With a 654 attack stat (accounting for Huge Power and Choice Band), it can pretty much 2HKO the majority of UU with its respective moves. The Moveset of Azumarill should be Aqua Jet, Waterfall, Ice Punch, Return, along with an ev spread of 240 HP/252 Atk/16 Spe, the ability Huge Power, and (of course) Choice Band. Azumarill has convienient resistances to Water, Ice, and Fire (very common types in UU), and with 100 base hp, and 80 base stats in both Defense and Special Defense, it can switch in on most of the tier and rack up a lot of damage to your opponent. Waterfall provides it with amazing stab, and Water + Normal goes unresisted in UU, bar the very rare Shedinja. Ice Punch is there so you don't get 6-0'ed by Altaria, and gets good coverage with the rest of its attacks too. Although Superpower is a perfectly viable alternative for it being able to hit steels super-effectively. If you want more power on your normal attack, Double-edge works fine over Return, although you lose a lot of survivability from the recoil.

Personally I don't think Persian is a very good lead for this team. It really doesn't do much, other than tricking a choice band to something useless, and it only benefits hypno sometimes. I think a Toxic Spikes Roserade Lead would do wonders for this team, poisoning pokes for Moltres to stall out. It can also negate the opposing teams toxic spikes because of its poison typing. She can also Put your opponents to sleep with Sleep powder, making it all the easier to set up Toxic Spikes. She should have a Focus Sash, a Timid nature, 4 HP/252 SpA/252 Spe, with the moves: Toxic Spikes, Sleep Powder, Leaf Storm, and HP-Fire. Leaf Storm privides it with amazing stab and a 140 base power move (210 when factoring in stab), and HP-Fire allows it to hit opposing grass types for Super-Effective damage. Sleep Powder is a 75% accuracy move that is the crux of this set. It allows Roserade to set up a nearly guaranteed 2 layers of Toxic Spikes, which is all you need to spread the Toxic Poison, making it set up bait for Moltres to be stalled out. Toxic Stalling with Moltres is a heck of a lot easier when the opponent is already poisoned, believe me :)

Now, we need something to keep those t-spikes in place (i.e. a ghost to block rapid spin). I believe either a Rest-Talk CM spiritomb or a Scarfed Rotom would help you out greatly here. Spiritomb can be found here, and rotom can be found here, the fourth set down. It's basically your choice here as to which pokemon you should use; do you want a revenge killer in rotom, or do you want a status absorber and late-game sweeper in Spiritomb? I personally prefer Spiritomb for it being able to take status, and making a nice sweeper. It's completely your choice with this one. I actually suggest you try both. Put one of these over Kangaskan, who is now outclassed by azumarill on your team. Azumarill does kangaskans job a lot better, and with a hella lot more power. (This is one change i suggest you seriously change.)

Hypno is your special wall. In new UU, I believe it is outclassed by registeel. With its base 150 defenses and nice 80 base hp stat, plus a steel typing, it can wall better than Hypno. The only reason to use hypno is to use wish, which it does not do. Now Registeel is significantly better on this team because it pairs excellently with Slowbro; Slowbro can take most physical Fighting, Fire, and Ground attacks, while registeel takes care of Electric(most are special), Grass, Dark, Ghost and Bug attacks aimed at slowbro. Registeel also acts as an excellent Mismagius, Espeon, Roserade, and Yanmega counter. 252 HP/100 Atk/156 SpD, Careful, with the item Leftovers, and the moves: Stealth Rock, Iron Head, Earthquake, and ThunderWave/Toxic. Registeel also provides you with Stealth Rock, which will easily dispatch of most fire types (it does 50% to moltres switch ins)as well as adding more damage to the switch in. Iron Head is Registeel's STAB move and can 2HKO the standard Mismagius after it has used Substitute once, and the standard Espeon after Life Orb recoil. Earthquake allows registeel to take on fire type switch ins aswell as hitting bulky water switch ins for more damage. The choice between Thunderwave and Toxic is a tricky one. Thunderwave can and will help Azumarill get over his speed problems, allowing it to sweep with a stab waterfall. Toxic on the other hand, allows it to poison Flyers that escape Toxic Spikes clutches and keep the general type of team that I'm trying to make. Its your choice.

Now these are a LOT of changes, but I tried to make the team as competitive as possible, and I think this team is much better off with these changes.

I hope I helped and Good Luck with the team.

I don't have time for a full rate, but in the above post, it says that Slowking is KO'd by a Blaziken HP Grass/Electric. In reality, SlowKING is one of the best counters to Blaziken, besides Altaria, that you can find.

Against a max/max Slowking, Max SpA Blaziken@ Life Orb does:

350 Atk vs 350 Def & 394 HP (70 Base Power): 132 - 156 (33.50% - 39.59%)

and even a critical hit:

350 Atk vs 350 Def & 394 HP (70 Base Power): 264 - 312 (67.01% - 79.19%)

don't make things up.

joshe

the best
I don't have time for a full rate, but in the above post, it says that Slowking is KO'd by a Blaziken HP Grass/Electric. In reality, SlowKING is one of the best counters to Blaziken, besides Altaria, that you can find.

Against a max/max Slowking, Max SpA Blaziken@ Life Orb does:

350 Atk vs 350 Def & 394 HP (70 Base Power): 132 - 156 (33.50% - 39.59%)

and even a critical hit:

350 Atk vs 350 Def & 394 HP (70 Base Power): 264 - 312 (67.01% - 79.19%)

don't make things up.
First off, my bad. I was thinking about 2HKO's and not OHKOs. I meant 2HKO's on the first Paragraph. I will change accordingly to my above post.

Anyways, his slowking is not max/max. It has 212 evs in hp, with 0 spdef evs. Calculations for his Slowking when being hit by a 70 power hp-electric/grass:

350 Atk vs 256 Def & 384 HP (70 Base Power): 180 - 212 (46.88% - 55.21%). A 100% change to 2HKO with Stealth Rock, or SandStorm, OR with SR and Leftovers. Although nearly every team will have some sort of "entry hazards" (i.e. Stealth Rock, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes), Blaziken only has a 8.02% chance to 2HKO, but keep in mind that hazards are everywhere in UU, where its easy to get them down.

Now Slowbro will always get 2HKOed by Blaziken, but it is meant to be a wall for this team. After a Calm Mind it has significantly better spdef than his Slowking:

350 Atk vs 294 Def & 394 HP (70 Base Power): 158 - 186 (40.10% - 47.21%). This after One CM from a 394/196 slowbro. Only a 35.77% chance to 2HKO with SR or SandStorm. 0% chance under normal conditions. After 2 CM:

350 Atk vs 392 Def & 394 HP (70 Base Power): 118 - 140 (29.95% - 35.53%). NO 2HKO's here. Plus Slowbro now has the boost that slowking had with its +2 Spatk.

Slowbro significantly outclasses Slowking because most of its resistances are on the physical side (fighting), and it is able to utilize CM to boost his spdef;slowking can't boost its defense. I apreciate you finding those errors Nizik, as it was quite a magnificent post(I had to screw up somewhere lol).

long post telling me to replace 5/6 of the Pokemon on my team
Sorry, but that just doesn't cut it. I gave you a set of conditions with this team (not used for laddering, EH Clause in effect) and you gave me some garbage that "I can't do that because if it's not ladder it's not competitive." That's false, but whatever it's not the big issue here.

Like Reverb, you really didn't focus on the team I already have and just went straight into making your own team. You also made several strange claims like "I don't know what Persian does for your team" when I clearly outlined in nearly every Pokemon's description what it did for my team. I would like to keep the Trickeroo lead but you replaced it with something that I told you I didn't need on IRC.

By the way, I did use your team on the Smogon ladder. Let's just say it didn't make me suck any less. I lost easily over 70% of the battles I was in, which is quite a bit higher than my usual loss percentage.

I'm not in the mood to run calcs or dig up those excruciating logs right now, but I can assure you that the team that you supplied me with was full of completely unecessary changes and absolutely devoid of any synergy. You could've worked with what I gave you, but you instead gave me a team that doesn't work and made changes without
○ identifying the threat
○ saying why it's a threat
○ identifying a solution
○ explaining to me why it's a solution

"use this cause it's better" doesn't work for me and neither did your rate.

(by the way, slowking learns CM, too >_>)

Loki

like seashells
is a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 7 Championwon the 3rd Official Smogon Tournament
I used that same kanga except with earthquake and sucker punch over focus punch and crunch. Focus punch is really not that useful without substitute. Since most rock or steel pokemon are slower than kanga, catching them on the switch with EQ and then EQing again does more damage than a FP. Sucker punch is useful for picking off faster stuff like swellow and espeon and helps with rain dance (it does like ~50% to ludicolo).

i would replace floatzel with a normal resist...try scarf rotom (tbolt/shadow ball/trick/hp ice timid). gives you a fast revenge killer and another tricker to help with stall teams.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)