Team Faithful Favorites - An OU RMT

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Introduction:

As you all may have known, I'm primarily an Ubers player. After achieving #5 on Uber ladder (I usually can't since I get haxed quite a bit), I decided to take a break and catch up from the last time I've played OU - before Garchomp/Deo-S are banned (well I played a little during Latias suspect but got bored). Studying usages and other RMTs, as well as watching people battle when I can't find an Uber battle to watch myself, I decided to give OU a forgiving shot. Reading through the RMT archives helps me as well. While yes, OU is still a messy metagame at this point, I've taken my attention to Lucario (after witnessing its impressive performance in Ubers). Being a ridiculously dangerous sweeper as described in the analysis, I find Luke to be an interesting Pokemon to try to built a team around on. But why stop there? I wanted a team of favorites that can cover each other's weaknesses and build a strong offensive or defensive front. So I took the burden out on myself, a solitary effort to blueprint my team and launch all theorymon against the harsh world of fiery competitors. Disguised in an alt, I battled many and finally reached the leaderboard. From that point I knew my team, built out of theories, is fairly successful. However, no team is flawless, and my dusty OU experience bites me as I struggle to find solutions to a few issues. This is where you, the community, come and assist me.

The team at a glance

*******************************************************​

*******************************************************​

THE ACTUAL TEAM:

The Stealth Rocker

Swampert (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP/220 Def/36 Spd
Relaxed nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Ice Beam
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
---
I wished to use a different lead, but I can't exactly find one without changing the team. A person whose identity will not be disclosed suggested a Taunt/Toxic/Protect/Waterfall Gyarados lead, which is very interesting and from the looks of it, it succeeds against many OU leads. But enough about Gyarados. Swampert's been reliable as a Stealth Rock set up lead for me, countering those Metagross leads. Speaking of Metagross, some people are ridiculously predictable, Stealth Rocking first turn, attacking on the following turn and Exploding on the third turn. Don't worry, I've got an aswer to that but scroll down if you want to see it (obvious enough no?) The EV spread allows Swampert to survive an Adamant LO DD Outrage from Salamence, while the rest is placed into Speed to outrun other -Spd Swamperts and possibly Machamps. The moveset looks standard except for one thing-Toxic. I've found Toxic to be a great weapon in crippling Hippowdon and opposing Swampert leads, and helps a LOT against Vaporeon who can cause the team problems. It adds a death count to Gyaradoses who brave the Dragon Dance.

Stealth Rock is almost essential as it helps weaken Zapdos and Gyarados, allowing them to be put into Lucario's kill range. It "checks" Salamence and puts it into Scizor's Bullet Punch kill range.

Swampert helps the team check Salamence and tends to be some sort of wastebasket. It is quite often my most expendable team member, but it doesn't mean I will sack it on the first turn. Swampert comes in handy for suicides and Electric absorption, as well as crippling the aforementioned Vaporeon who stays along for almost forever.

However, Swampert tends to be set up for Smeargle and Roserade leads. Smeargle leads will almost always counter my team. This is my biggest issue at the moment and I can't find a way to fix it.

The Trappers/Revenge Killers

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- Superpower
- U-turn
- Pursuit
---
Scizor is step one in my favorite Pokemon's list. A deadly revenge killer as you have all witnessed through the raw power (4th strongest non Sucker Punch). The moveset is too standard to be explained, but it helps weakne teams down one by one from Stealth Rock and U-turn, while Pursuit, though rarely used, can hurt anything that flees, most notably Latias and Cresselia. Scizor backs up Tyranitar in the trapping department, as well as adding insurance against Salamence and a decent Grass resist too.

THis was originally built to survive HP Fire from Celebi after SR and Seed, but I went with this instead. 0 Speed allows me to underspeed other Scizors and out U-turn/Superpower them.

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Band
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 232 HP/26 Atk/252 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Crunch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Pursuit
---
Tyranitar is an absolute beast. It starts the Sandstorm, aiding in the weakening of things via Scizor's U-turn. Tyranitar plays as the team's "special wall", absorbing even Specs Surf from Latias and STILL not get 2HKOed after Stealth Rock damage. With an offensive base in mind, I decided to add bulk onto this thing to keep the team alive longer. Being my main Latias (or....Latios...if he was OU...). counter, it's important that he stays alive for a while at least just to get rid of it.

The moveset is really standard so it doesn't need explanation. I usually throw Crunches and Pursuits as my safest options, then Stone Edge when their Rock resists are gone.

Tyranitar helps knock down annoying opponents such as Heatran and Rotom-A, though the latter will probably Burn me. Starmie can also say goodbye in the face of Tyranitar, who sort of laughs at Surf and can take a Hydro Pump.

The baits (kinda)

Latias (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 232 HP/252 Spd/24 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Dragon Pulse
- Recover
- Thunderbolt
---
If you've been here long enough some of you mgiht remember my exploding Latias avatar. That means Latias is a Pokemon under my fave list. Though it saddens me that Latios can not make it to OU, Latias and her list of resistances come in handy in stopping monstrous threats such as Infernape. Her bulk allows her to switch a couple of times, and combined with Recover it can be quite nasty. Calm Mind, Dragon Pulse, and Recover are pretty much staples-no questions are needed. Thunderbolt is a new one, though. With this state of the team a Suicune stopper must be present, and Latias is number one in line for that job. The EVs ensure that Thunderbolt 3HKOes Suicune under Sandstorm so it does not try to stall me. THunderbolt also stops Gyarados and Skarmory; the former making Latias some sort of backup while the latter is just plain annoying. Finally, Empoleon probably eats the team if I don't have Thunderbolt.

Latias usually comes later into the game unless forced early. Rotom-H is usually sent out early to deal with things. Latias also serves as a passageway for Lucario, attracting Choice Band Pursuits and opening up a turn for Lucario.

This was originally Salamence but Mence dies too quickly and doesn't solve Infernape.

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 6 HP/252 Spd/252 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Overheat
- Trick
---
Well...
I'm losing my descriptions in here. Rotom is cute.

Rotom checks many things, including Fighting moves, Gyarados, Lucario, Metagross, Scizor, Heracross etc. Standard Scarfrotom really, but also acts as a Pursuit bait to open up for a Lucario sweep. Trick is an amazing weapon if used on the correct opponent, as it allows either a free kill or a free set up. For instance, if I Trick Scarf onto a Gengar, I can go to Tyranitar to absorb the Shadow Ball, then kill with Pursuit. If I Trick a Scarf onto Blissey, it makes Latias' life so much easier as Tyranitar/Scizor can Pursuit her to death. Or I can Scarf trick into something else and set up with Luke. Rotom can either be extremely valuable or be almost absolutely useless, but more often than not he's very helpful. Unfortunately he tends to die very early which sometimes can leave my team open. to the aformentioned threats. Though I usually have backup.

Does the moveset need explaining? I don't think so

The Star

Lucario (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk/6 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Close Combat
- Extremespeed
- Swords Dance
- Ice Punch
---
Finally, the star of the play, and when things look bright he can easily come in and Swords Dance. SDLuke has seriously got to be the one of the most threatening end game cleaners in the OU metagame. It is the Rayquaza of OU, terminating every single living object it can find after the Dance. With easily abusable resistances, and insane power to boot, AND ExtremeSpeed for faster foes, Lucario is an absolute unparalleled menance. It is my ticket through weakened stall teams, if Tyranitar and Rotom-H hasn't weakened them enough.

Swords Dance for boot ups - this is often only thrown when I find that their team is weakened enough or if I'm in desperation. Lucario has gotten me out of a losing situation a couple of times. Close Combat is for raw power, though it is the last attack I want to throw if another move KOes the oppponent. It is absolutely scary though. ExtremeSpeed allows Lucario to snip away at faster foes such as Dugtrio and Infernape, and makes Lucario a backup of some sort should Scizor die in the Bullet Punching process, and thus often ensures that a single threat would be incapable of sweeping my team. Ice Punch is mainly for Zapdos and Gliscor as I have Pursuits on TTar and Scizor for Ghosts and Psychics, while Stone Edge is pretty unreliable...at least the last time I've used it it misses on important KOes.

Since some people prepare for Adamant Lukes, they forget about Jolly since its rarely used. I think i can afford the power loss for this as I defeat their Zapdos, Gliscor, and the rare Jolly CB Mamoswines. In rare occassions, Lucario can kill Salamence with Ice Punch, as well as serve as a check against opposing Adamant Lucarios.

Lucario seems to be decreasing in usage because it appears that people are more ready for him. However, Lucario is still an amazing Pokemon and his usage shall not fall any further. Taking absolutely laughable damage from Stealth Rock and being immune to Toxic Spikes, it's really not that hard to bring Lucario in, especially with some form of support from Latias and Rotom-H, and their deaths shall not be in vain.

Despite being such a monster, Lucario may sometimes not come out at all, because the rest of the team has cleared the opposition. Thus, Lucario is my trump card and is only used in emergencies or if I want to end things quickly. At times I get overprotective of this beast and end up losing. But I can learn from that mistake.

Lucario is the member of the team I will absolutely not replace.

Threat list:
Right now it's just the offensive threat list. It's tiring to write a whole threat list

Azelf: This is Latias' job for the most part, though it can Explode and U-turn for annoying damage. Rotom can revenge it, Tyranitar beats it one on one and Scizor/Luc can finish it off with their respective priority moves. It's only safe switch in is Swampert, and that's not exactly safe when there's all of this stopping it.

Breloom: Annoying. Extremely annoying. This is what i get without a Sleep Talker, so for the most part I try my best to have Swampert take the Spore, then Scizor to ruin Substitutes, Rotom-H to take Focus Punches, and Latias as my most general stopper to it. Focus punch does <50% to Latias and Dragon Pulse severely hurts Breloom.

Celebi: Scizor does it for the most part. Latias backs up and Rotom can 2HKO with Shadow Ball. Tyranitar helps with the Crunching. I might as well mention this here, though, as Shaymin's lack of Psychic-type weaknesses can hurt my team more than Celebi

Dragonite: This is missing from the threat list what the heck? Harder to kill than Mence though.

Dugtrio: Yeah I got the revengers ready in case it revenges something. It will probably be Quakespamming though.

Electivire: Swampert, Rotom-H. Luke outruns non Jolly ones and OHKOes with CC I believe. Latias walls Special variants as well

Empoleon: Latias can Thunderbolt it and Calm Mind as its ice beams slowly fall to dust. Lucario OHKOes with Close Combat and Scizor/Tar can hit it with Superpower/Earthquake respsectively. Rotom-H can inflict serious damage with Thunderbolt, though it sometimes puts Empoleon into Torrent range which hurts

Flygon: Annoying. Scizor to take Outrages and Bullet Punch will send Flygon up the hills, Luc can kill it with SDed ES from 87.5% I believe. Swampert kinda walls it, though CB Rage hurts a ton. Non Scarf versions are eaten by Latias.
Gengar: This can often manage a kill, so it's a big threat. After coming in on Lucario, I'm usually left without much but to sacrifice a person. Scizor OHKOes with CB Bullet Punch and can Pursuit, TTar can take on Shadow Ball and Pursuit (and surviving LO Focus Blast if SR is not up lol). Scarf Rotom-H outruns non Scarf Gengar and kills it with Shadow Ball (if it does have Scarf it's pickings for TTar). Latias outruns HP Fire variants

Gliscor: Swampert I guess. Rotom-H can Trick. Not much to say here.

Gyarados: Ugh. I have Latias and Rotom-H who are willing to Thunderbolt it, and Stealth Rock hampers it further. Gyaradoses brave enough to dance on Pert eats a Toxic and won't stay for long

Heatran: The era of Scarftran has seemingly subsided and the new Subtran has taken its place. Subtran is super annopying and I usually have Pert to beat it up. Latias can take a burn from Lava Plume and set up. Lucario is faster and KOes with CC. Scarftran is stopped by Swampert and Tyranitar.

Heracross: Rotom-H is immune to CC and resists Megahorn (though CBHorn does a lot). Scizor can deal massive damage with Bullet Punch, and Lucario 4x resists Megahorn (still hurts though).

Infernape: Latias. Uhh...that's it? Double priority, Rotom-H, and Swampert can sort of help.

Jirachi: Swampert takes on most variants. Unless they have Grass Knot. Then it's somewhere between TTar, Rotom-H, and possibly Lucario and Scizor or Latias. Yes, I've just blurted my entire team here, but this is Jirachi we're talking about

Kingdra: Struggles to find a place to set up and won't sweep due to the double priority. I usually waste Swampert to it and revenge it with Luc/Rotom-H/Scizor. It's not hard to beat Kingdra with tis team

Latias: Where in the world is Latios? Anyways, TTar and Scizor.

Lucario: I can't possibly forget this as a threat when making a team based on it, so...Rotom-H can revenge it and no one uses Jolly crunch (at least I don't think...). My own Luke can revenge Adamant variants and double priority from my own Scizor/Luke helps against it, especially after CC defense drop (though I'll probably just CC the opponent's Luke anyways if I still have mine alive).

Machamp: Really annoying. Dynamicpunch + Payback is a broken move combination. I have Rotom for the Punch and I could Trick it into Payback so Lucario can set up on it. Latias can take on Dynamicpunches but confusion can be annoying.

Magnezone: I absolutely hate facing this Pokemon. It traps and kills my star and a revenger. However, the remaining members can all beat Magnezone

Mamoswine: "Every team is Mamo weak". Anyways that leaves Scizor's Bullet Punch, Luke's Close Combat, and Rotom-H's Overheats. Swampert can swap in against some moves and Earthquake for snip damage or Toxic to start a countdown.

Metagross: Leaddgrosses are sometimes predictable and Explode themselves on Rotom-H. Swampert and Rotom deals with most variants, while Scizor can dent it with U-turn and allow Lucario to get in safely, and perhaps finish off with Close Combat. Meta's pretty tough

Jask: There's Stealth Rock, Rotom-H for the Trick, dual priority...

PZ: Tyranitar, Scizor, Lucario, Rotom-H...???

RhyINFerior: I hate to face one of these, and I tend to rely on Tricking it or have Swampert start a countdown with Toxic. Lucario and Scizor can hurt them with CC and BP, respectively, though they can't beat Rhy one on one

Rotom-A: TTar for the most part, though I hate Will-o-Wisp. Latias and my own Rotom helps on predictable situations.

Salamence: No counters, so...Scizor's BP after SR/SS/LO will kill it. Swampert can sort of check it, Latias is faster and has Dragon Pulse. Rotom can dent it with Thunderbolt, TTar KOes with Stone Edge, and slower Mences die to Lucario's Ice Punch

Scizor: SDScizor can give me problems. Rotom-H is overrelied on this job that once it's gone SDZor kills my whole team pretty much (dual priority can still help against it though).

Snorlax: Scizor, Tyranitar, Rotom-H for Crunchless versions, Lucario

Starmie: Uhh...Tar, Latias, Scizor and Rotom-H???

Suicune: Latias is first in line as she counters both offensive and defensive Cune. RoarCunes are annoying though I'll give you that. Rotom-H has Thunderbolt to severely dent it, and Lucario can come during a predicted Rest and punish with Swords Danced Close Combats

Togekiss: Tyranitar lols at Air Slash and is likely not going to die to repeated Air Slash flinches. Aura Sphere does <50% if Togekiss doesn't have much defense. Rotom resists Air Slash and is immune to Aura Sphere, destroying it with Thunderbolt

Weavile: Scizor, Swampert, and perhaps Lucario.

Yanmega: Is UU now. Still, Rotom and Scizor helps against it, and so does Stealth Rock

Zapdos: Tyranitar walls it almost completely and so does Latias. Toxicstall Zappy can be annoying though.

Right now I'm not going to be bothered to put up the thought process section. I might do it later in the future, but this is all for now

I think you would do well to replace Latias with the standard stall gyarados. With Roar and Waterfall intimidate will really help your team in the long run.Gyarados can phase Suicune and take spore from Breloom your biggest common problems. Intimidate will help your other pokes from getting destroyed by rhyperior's attacks too. It can also take on the likes of Infernape and your nemesis Machamp. The only problem i have with using this gyarados is that it needs spin support to be truly effective. However i think this set could work really well in your team for the reasons above. You seem to have everything else covered so Good Luck.

Congratulations on an excellent team. This team has some of my favourites as well :D

First off, congratulations on an awesome team.

Just one thing, how do you handle Stall teams? It seems that every poke is individually walled by some stall team component. Many stall teams carry Rotom which can efficiently defeat Lucario. Jolly Lucario is also much easier for a Hippowdon or celebi to handle.

Trick is another thing you can cripple stall with, but you only have one shot at it, and many stall teams can probably see trick being on rotom anyways.

Anyways, I feel tyranitar and latias are covering similar things (electrics, some psychics) and the extra attack can help in KOing Latias and Jirachi anyways. For that reason, why not just go 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe?

But anyways, it's an amazing team.

I disagree BC. He has 2 pursuiters and a tricker and is thus well equipped to deal with Stall. Lucario can easily beat rotom with crunch although rotom will probably die to pursuit.

I would like to suggest you changing Rotom-H to Rotom-W Overheat is really often useless and leaves you as set up fodder on the otherhand Water Electric and Ghost gives you perfect type coverage iirc and allows you to smack Tyranitar and Heatran. Food for thought.

I agree with iKitsune. Stall teams aren't a problem at all. The team is really clos eot perfection, it is really awesome and I feel bad about myself for not being able to write much in the repply seeing that most stuff has been covered.

Something I did noticed, was the lack of a Phazer. It isnt much of a problem, but anyways it is never bad to have cehck to it. Baton Pass teams aren't as common as they used to, and the use of Ninjask has greatly been reduced.

Congrats! It is an awesome team, good luck and hope you can get to #1!

Jibaku

is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
:)

iKitsune: The problem with Gyarados imo is that it can't touch Breloom. After getting Spored, all it can do is hope for a Roar through Sleep Talk, as Waterfall does rather pitiful damage. Also, Gyarados can't really touch Suicune either besides Roaring it away (which is a temporary solution). Finally, there's the Grass types in general giving Gyara problems. However, the coverage on Machamp does help. Hmmm...

I'm kind of forced to use Rotom-H here because SD Scizor 6-0es my whole team otherwise. It should've learned heat Wave instead of Overheat...ah well. :(

EDIT: The team isn't close to perfect. I struggle quite a bit against Smeargle leads (which, if it is the case, I'm probably dead from the start). Roserade not so much when 4/6 are immune to TS and if it puts Pert to sleep well it would technically also be immune to TS.

Smeargle as a lead is not so common, so don't worry about it too much. You have a ton of priority users anyway, and not getting Stealth Rock up isn't the end of the world.

Basically, this team's glue is ScarfRotom. I'd really be weary about tricking the Scarf away, because if you do, SD Lucario has the potential to beat you. As with most offensive teams, just be weary of things like Salamence and Gyarados who always have a lot of chances to set-up on a resisted attack. As long as you keep the Scarf on Rotom, you have most threats on lockdown. However, once that Scarf is gone, a lot of stat-uppers beat you.

Minor detail, but what is Toxic for on Swampert? I'd suggest Protect to scout random Explosions from Heatran, Metagross, and Azelf. You don't want your bulky Pokemon taking hefty damage from an Explosion, nor do you want Rotom to constantly take Meteor Mashes or random resisted attacks since its EV distribution isn't geared as much to counter as it is to revenge-kill.

Additionally, what is Thunderbolt for on Latias. You are running a Calm Mind set, meaning you can Dragon Pulse in Suicune's face as well. You always have bulky Pokemon like Scizor to hit it hard with U-Turn and Lucario with Close Combat as sort of "last-resorts". Surf is the better option considering your two Pursuit weaks, especially to nail Tyranitar who can effectively remove two members of your team quite easily. After a Calm Mind, Surf does heavy amounts of damage to Skarmory anyway, and hits Scizor only for slightly less damage.

Basically your standard bulky-offensive team. Not much for me to rate considering the success of these types of teams. Good luck.

Nas

Banned deucer.
I'm not liking two Choice Banders. I'd rather you switch tyranitar into the Resttalk Curse set, that way you have an even better special wall and you also have something to absorb status. I'm sure that having three choicers on the team has also opened up many opportunities for your opponent to set up and sweep you.

You say that Breloom, Scizor, Rhyperior, and Machamp are all problems for your team. (I'm guessing that's why they're highlighted) Well, I could see Celebi helping you with these threats, It absolutely shits on Breloom, beats Machamp, (as long as it doesn't have Payback) it can switch in on Rhyperiors EQ and SE and Grass Knot for the KO, and at least threatens Scizor with HP Fire. Most Suicune lack Ice Beam these days, so Celebi also serves as a check to that. Therefore I'd say it could go over Latias, because you don't want 3 Pursuit weaks.

Jibaku

Additionally, what is Thunderbolt for on Latias. You are running a Calm Mind set, meaning you can Dragon Pulse in Suicune's face as well. You always have bulky Pokemon like Scizor to hit it hard with U-Turn and Lucario with Close Combat as sort of "last-resorts". Surf is the better option considering your two Pursuit weaks, especially to nail Tyranitar who can effectively remove two members of your team quite easily. After a Calm Mind, Surf does heavy amounts of damage to Skarmory anyway, and hits Scizor only for slightly less damage.
I originally had Surf in there, but Suicune still presents a lot of trouble. The problem is, however, the same against Kyogre. Dragon Pulse does little to Cune while it CMs and Rests away, not doing anything. "Last resorts" aren't reliable enough to be used to take down Suicune every time. I would have to deal near max damage everytime with max SA Dragon Pulse to KO it, and I only have 8 shots thanks to Pressure. Especially when you consider the fact that Scizor is slower than Cune and Lucario isn't something I'd really want to shove in his face. I'm more specifically talking about Crocune than anything else (where is Cromat, anyways?)

I guess you're right on the Skarmory part though (Surf does 54% max to 252/0 with a CM, and if it Whirlwinds after CM Surf it'll end up eating Scizor's Superpower/Luke's CC/Rotom-H's Thunderbolt).

Minor detail, but what is Toxic for on Swampert? I'd suggest Protect to scout random Explosions from Heatran, Metagross, and Azelf. You don't want your bulky Pokemon taking hefty damage from an Explosion, nor do you want Rotom to constantly take Meteor Mashes or random resisted attacks since its EV distribution isn't geared as much to counter as it is to revenge-kill.
Vaporeon really. I've been running into a bit of Toxic/Protect/Wish/Surf Vappy and it's horribly annoying. Though yeah I suppose it is the most replaceable option in there.

Basically, this team's glue is ScarfRotom. I'd really be weary about tricking the Scarf away
Thanks for the tip-will try to get used to it :)

I'm sure that having three choicers on the team has also opened up many opportunities for your opponent to set up and sweep you.
This would be where double priority and Rotom would hold them down. I don't exactly remember the last time I was swept while locked, but I probably did at one point. Of course, I can't rely on double proority forever, but unless their team is geared towards beating me they wouldn't find the time to switch in all that often.

Rest/Talk TTar is an interesting option though. It does fix my Spore weakness. I'll give this a shot.

Celebi does indeed help with the threats, and Leech Seed support is always helpful. Though yes, my team's problem is specifically on Payback Machamp. Though Celebi does a better job than Latias at this anyways.

However, it leaves my team open to Infernape :(

panamaxis

how many seconds in eternity?
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Championis a Three-Time Past WCoP Champion
just a minor edit, I'll add more later

First up..your EVs:

It seems to me you're running a lot more bulk then is necessary. In my experience, Adamant with 252 HP EVs will usually suffice (you can run a few more EVs in sp. def 40ish or so, I'm not sure, If you want to always stop LO latias from 2HKOing you). Scizor and ttar is enough latias checks

Scizor: just run max HP and Attack, those extra attack EVs will help a lot more often then the bulk. If you're want to go bulky, you might as well utilise roost.

Latias: 108HP / 252 Spe / rest in sp. atk, is likely the best spread. And lucario..Run Adamant and Stone Edge, most opponents run defensive zapdos in my experience (hitting gyarados is more beneficial then gliscor too) so I wouldn't worry about trying to outspeed Zapdos, even then they can run Timid, so you're still taking a chance of them outspeeding you, even with jolly.

I'll add more later.

Jibaku

Scizor: just run max HP
Latias: 108HP
These two numbers are Stealth Rock numbers. I can't accept that.
(goes to fix Latias analysis if it's on there)
Well, apparently not...

But anyways
I currently have 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd on my Scizor. I changed the EVs for the purpose of this RMT (haven't actually used my posted spread), but if you feel that going for near max HP / Attack then I'll go by that.

As for Latias' EVs, I'll go ahead and use your spread with 104 HP.

I'm still partial on Stone Edge, because it has missed a few times on important kills which made me swap to Ice Punch for reliability. However, sometime later I'll try it again because hitting Gyarados does help. While Adamant can score more kills, I remembered seeing a Jolly CBSwine (loco?) which is designed to beat Adamant Lucario in mind, which, although rare, stirred me away. Adamant vs Jolly came about in a tough decision, and I was eventually swayed to Jolly despite the power loss. But I guess that's just me being paranoid about 280ers.

Jibaku

24 hour bump:

- Curse/Talk Payback Tar didn't work too well for me. This is probably because I miss the power of Pursuit. I should probably playtest this longer, though.
- Jolly Lucario is staying. The decision of Ice Punch vs Stone Edge ultimately boils down to Gliscor or Gyarados. Although Gyarados poses more of an offensive threat than Gliscor, Stealth Rock, Sandstorm, Latias, and Rotom hamper it from switching in repeatedly. However, Gliscor is much harder to take out, and thus Ice Punch stays.
- Scizor: Changing back to 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 Spd.
- Latias: I find the need for more bulk to stop offensive Cune and Ape.

That's all for now

This was the exact team I used for the Latios test, but with some tweaks. I ran Scarf Latios to guarantee a revenge on DD Mence, Gyara, and Kingdra, and my Rest Rotom set with no Sleep Talk. Lotias had Tbolt, Draco, Surf, Trick (for Blisseys mostly), and basically was Pursuit bait, so that SD Luke could come in for free afterwards. I let ToF use the team as well, and it was successful for him, so maybe you should give those tweaks a try. Oh, also I was running Exert Belt TTar so I was never stuck on Pursuit, because Lukes getting a free set up against this team isn't much fun either, and Fire Blast also destroyed random Skarms/Forry's that think you're stuck on Crunch/Pursuit.

Of course, I'm saying this because Latios is easily replaced by Latias without losing it's effectiveness as a revenge killer/tricker.

really good team man.

with the suggestions already given, i would like to say that you seem to have a bit of a fighting-type weakness, or at least your counter section indicates. if physical attackers are this big of a deal, why not try will-o-wisp on rotom-h? with your speed, you will probably outpace the big attackers like machamp and scizor and just will-o-wisp to make sure they do very little damage.

just something to think about, i dont know how well overheat has been working for you.

oh, if you want to lighten the load of rotom-h, zapdos looks pretty good, particularly the calm version which could beat gengar (or at least make them sacrifice it) as well as take on scizor, heracross, ect. you will be losing a bit of your defensive walling with calm zapdos but isnt that the point of rotom-h? if you add zapdos, you can evenly split the workload between the two. the real trouble is figuring a spot for him, everything looks so damned important lol. you could try replacing latias for zapdos actually lol, as calm dos can handle nape "decently" but more importantly, really give cune a whooping.

Jibaku

KD: Thanks for the compliment! Much appreciated

To be honest, Overheat is pretty trash in most cases :(

[Mindless Thought Process]
After testing this team further, I noticed I have a big weakness to SD Scizor. Rotom is pretty unreliable since it tends to die and I have to rely on Lucario a lot to stop it. That or some CH from Swampert.

But I'm now stuck

If I were to go with Zapdos over Rotom, it would clear out my other painful weaknesses pretty well, but then leaves me open to Stone Edge Gyarados.

Which leads me to wanting to change Rotom to a more defensive variant, but then I remember what ToF said that "it holds the team together".
[/end Mindless Thought Process]

Will-o-Wisp seems like a good idea, since Overheat only paid off in very few situations, and to follow that...

Now as for Zappy over Latias....

It might actually work. I'd like to try Toxic/Thunderbolt/Roost/Heat Wave (and this would change Toxic on Pert to Roar). Toxic can hit those annoying Blisseys and TTar/Scizor could Pursuit her to death, which gives Zappy/Rotom-H a fun time against the remaining stall. Zappy seems to cover Latias' role pretty nicely and I'll give it a shot. More importantly, Zapdos helps against Jirachi which eats the team alive when Swampert dies (physical Rachi). I just hope I don't run into anything with CB Waterfall...

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 40 Spd / 220 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Heat Wave
- Toxic
- Roost

Looks pretty workable.

Though one thing bugs me- I have nothing against Cursepert.
Thankfully Cursepert is rare, but it practically 6-0es the team.
One thing I COULD do it to use HP Grass on Zapdos over Toxic, and Discharge over Thunderbolt to para things.

On Scizor, 100 HP/156 SpD/248 Atk/4 Spe Adamant is the best for specially bulky, which is really best for Scizor considering the amount of special things he can switch in to. If you want mixed defenses, just lump the HP and SpD together and max attack, like you have.

does the extra HP beyond 236 help Swampert? I'm curious as I have been pondering a max HP Swampert for awhile. Does it do notable things for it's mixed walling capability?

SpDtar could potentially be very good for this team, because Scizor is more than enough of a trapper, as he can actually switch in on Gengar (Focus Blast 1HKO's T-tar no matter how you cut it)

The best set for that probobally is:

Tyranitar @Leftovers
Careful
236 HP/216 SpD/56 Atk or Def
~Crunch
~Brick Break
~Rest
~Sleep Talk

Max lefties, jump point in SpD, the rest in Atk. Moveset gets great coverage, can break screens (Helps against Latias and Cresselia from time to time) and Crunch is great for Stall wars (because of the defense drops). Restalk for recovery and status absorbtion.

Latias probobally wants Surf over T-bolt, as then it can get by Heatran faster and it can actually kill Infernape in one hit, as Swords Dance versions will kill you if you don't kill them first. You have Rotom-H for electirc attacks anyway, although he doesn't deal with set-up Empoleons well at all (there really isn't much that does). Whatever floats your boat.

I had a team exaclty like this, but with Specs Latias and non-scarf rotom, and SpD tar... I had something random over Lucario though. It's really clever to use the two psychic/ghost types to lure out Lucario weak things. Just be wary of mispredicts or overpredicts, I guess. You might end up with a trapped Rotom or a lucario switching in on an attck he shouldn't be. Very clever, though =]

EDIT: We posted at the same time.

For a more defensive Rotom-H, use:

Rotom-H @ Leftovers
Timid
252 HP/200 Spe/56 Def
~Overheat
~Thunderbolt
~HP: Grass/Fighting
~Will-o-wisp

252 HP for maximum defnsiveness, 200 Spe to beat Adamant Lucario and all things aiming to beat Adamant lucario (most notably certain Celebi and Jirachi) Overheat for Steel ownage, T-bolt for STAB, and Hidden Power for coverage. Grass lets you be a Swampert counter, fighting eliminates your Pusuit weak as the three main Pursuiters, Metagross, Scizor, and T-tar, can't do anything to you if they switch in on a Will-o-wisp. You can at the very least 3HKO all of them. Make sure you scout will Will-o-wisp though, as you can escape a T-tar's Pursuit if it's burned.

Zapdos could also help this team, but SR weakness can wear him down. Zapdos has better stats and moves than Rotom-H (he can reuse Heat Wave; not the same with overheat) and he has roost, but he has an SR weakness and no Will-o-wisp or Fighting immunity. Also, when he roosts, he becomes vulreable to Earthquakes, which can at times counter-act his walling nature.

=]

Hope this helps

Jibaku

Max Lefties is a terrible number IMO, especially since with one more HP he can survive one more SToss from Bliss (assuming full health and Leftovers):/.
Does it do notable things for it's mixed walling capability?
Well the general rule of thumb is that as long as HP < Def + SDef, it should be maxed for mix walling. Swampert isn't exactly a mix wall but it doesn't hurt when he also comes into things like Heatran and Salamence. It's extremely miniscule and not notable at all, but meh.

However, I went ahead and ran more calcs because the rule may not always be precise. While it takes Swampert 404 HP and 298 Def to survive an Outrage from Mence (+1, Orb), it takes 401 HP and 299 Def to survive it, saving two points of stat which I could put elsewhere.

I'm still pondering on the TTar. TTar has scored by far the most Pursuit kills in my team, yet at the same time Rest/Talk helps fix my lack of sleep talk problem. This is really tough :(

I'm still pondering on the TTar. TTar has scored by far the most Pursuit kills in my team, yet at the same time Rest/Talk helps fix my lack of sleep talk problem. This is really tough :(
..Or you could try my suggestion of Sleep Talk Rotom to free up your TTar, and slapping the Scarf on Latias to be your revenger and general fast threat stopper >_>.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)