Team for the June Internationals

This morning, when I woke up and checked Skype, I noticed that there's a new competition in the works: the June Internationals. It's doubles, and I'm willing to admit I'm fresh at doubles. I'm able to play Singles just fine, but I'm needing a bit of help on this one.

What I've created is SUPPOSED to be a Trick Room team. Not sure what else to say here so allow me to move onto the actual Pokemon.

Exeggutor @ Leftovers
Trait: Harvest
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Leech Seed
- Giga Drain
- Trick Room
- Skill Swap

I had an idea this morning for a potential Doubles idea; Skill Swap Harvest onto another Pokemon that could abuse that ability to hell and back. As Exeggutor is one of three Pokemon to obtain this ability, I chose it. It also works fairly well in Trick Room as it can set it up and start firing off Leech Seeds like crazy. This would be followed up by Giga Drain to regain any HP lost whilst setting up. Now, who's all this set up for...?

Snorlax @ Chesto Berry
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Brave Nature
- Rest
- Return
- Earthquake
- Curse

Of course, the lovable big giant himself, Snorlax! Imagine the wreckage you can cause with an infinite supply of Chesto Berries from Harvest. Being able to abuse Rest almost every other turn and hit like a truck with no downsides is why I chose Snorlax. Curse is, in my opinion, BUILT to be in a Trick Room team. Lowering your speed (which is reversed in Trick Room, which is why I'm using it) and boosting Attack/Defense is a boon to Snorlax. Skill Swapping Thick Fat onto Exeggutor makes it a lot more viable on the field because it's defenses are suddenly down two weaknesses. Now while I was looking at this, I remembered reading that Harvest ALWAYS activates under the Sun...

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 Spd
- Will-O-Wisp
- Flamethrower
- Sunny Day
- Substitute

Meet obligatory cannon fodder! I mean Ninetales. The sole reason I'm running this is to A. counter any weather setters and B. have Harvest be a lot more reliable on the field. Aside from that, it's also running Speed EVs so Drought activates AFTER Drizzle/Snow Warning/Sand Stream provided Trick Room is up. Aside from that, it's basically death fodder so Exeggutor isn't slammed in the face with a Bug attack or any of my future members don't take an attack I don't want them taking.

Conkeldurr @ Flame Orb
Trait: Guts
EVs: 252 Atk / 120 HP / 136 SDef
Brave Nature
- Hammer Arm
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Ice Punch

After a bit of thinking, I realized that I needed something to smash through Walls and have a low base speed. Who else but Conkeldurr fits the bill so perfectly? You can use Hammer Arm without any negative side effects (provided Trick Room's up) and it can sweep teams without breaking a sweat. Around now I realized I'm relying much too heavily on Exeggutor, though, so I realized I needed a secondary Trick Room...er.

Bronzong @ Light Clay
Trait: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SDef
Relaxed Nature
- Light Screen
- Reflect
- Trick Room
- Earthquake

Aha, perfect! Something to cover both my team's overall frailness and something that can set up a secondary Trick Room when it's needed! Dual Screens Bronzong is probably the second cannon fodder on the team if I don't need a secondary Trick Room or Exeggutor can set up a second one without harm. Aside from that, it can set up Dual Screens which is greatly appreciated by my team. The last move is mostly filler, and I'll probably be changing it in by the next time I build this team.

Ampharos @ Air Balloon
Trait: Static
EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 HP / 4 Atk
Quiet Nature
- Volt Switch
- Focus Blast
- Fire Punch
- Thunderbolt

It was around now that I realized I DESPERATELY needed a special attacker so I'm not walled by an obligatory Ferrothorn. Fire Punch is in there so I don't need to screw around with IVs, which I don't want to do, and it's also for the sole fact that Ampharos would be walled by Blissey. ...If there ARE any Blisseys in the doubles format. Hooray for being a noob!

WEAKNESSES

During one of my test battles I had after creating this team, I ran into a Sturdy Shell Bell hell beast-- I mean Aron. It was after I got completely sweeped by it, and it's partner Weavile for Priority, that I realized Priority is a very HUGE weakness to this team. I'm not 100% sure about this but I may just change Conkeldurr's Hammer Arm for Mach Punch now that I know Priority isn't reversed in Trick Room like I thought it was. Aside from that, I noticed my team is very heavy on the physical side, so any recommendations for a special attacker that'd fit this team would be much appreciated.

This is the first RMT I've done, and probably the last considering I try to work out kinks by myself and I don't frequent here very often. Many apologies if this is going against format and that I'm such a noob, but I really want to see how this team stacks up to you all.

If you're so inclined, the Pokemon I posted in each "bio" can be posted into Showdown if you wish to use this team for whatever reason you want.

Thanks for reading, have a wonderful day!

Shuckleking87

"Assault vest makes everything better" AV Seaking, BT
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
I do not know doubles that well either, but at least use eelektross over ampharos. Eelektross already has levitate, so you do not have to worry about an airballoon. Plus, eelektross has flamethrower. But you are essentially using a sum team and really not taking advantage of it besides harvest. And considering that both of your trick room users are weak to fire attacks, if your opponent has a darmanitan, victini, arcanine, you are screwed. Having ninetales and sunny day is very dumb though, as it has auto sun and you really do not need sun to achieve your goal. I would suggest Heat wave and protect over flamethrower and sunny day, as heat wave will atttack both pokes, and protect will save you from snorlax earthquakes. Also, your only chance of winning is for snorlax to accumulated curse boosts, gain auto recovery in rest, make sure it is not critted in the process or hit with a focus blast, making sure trick room is always up so snorlax goes first, and your opponent doesnt have sub gengar (eelektross and ice punch are the only moves that can touch it). I do not know doubles that well, but your team is essentially a singles team trying to immitate a doubles team rather than having doubles team pokes. I would suggest reading doubles forums and successful doubles team for your best advice. Good luck!

All of that is very valid. The main use for Sunny Day on Ninetales is so that if another Weather Setter comes out, I don't need to pull another switch to pick the sun back up, but I do see what you mean by all of this. Elektross is a brilliant idea, by the way, I never considered it beforehand.

I really should hit the Doubles board and see what the norm is... I've got a lot to learn.

After a bit more testing with this team, I'm making another update to it. Scrapping Bronzong and inserting Chandelure; Bronzong isn't supporting the team in any way other than Dual Screens. At least Chandelure can set up Trick Room AND also completely wreck things at the same time. Plus it gets a boost from that sun!

Put protect in every pokemon
Exeggutor is better with sitrus berry
Snorlax out cress is better
Put heatran in your team with sun and the levitation of cress is a beast
You need a intimidate user and fake outer test scrafty over conkeldurr

Using bronzong on a sun team is a bit odd as sun exacerbates its only weakness. I'd recommend testing xatu for a few reasons:

Magic bounce means it can't be slept or taunted, allowing it to set up trick room and dual screens more easily.
It has heat wave, great for sun teams.
It has reliable recovery.

Xatu may be a better idea over Chandelure (I replaced Bronzong with it) but Chandelure is really frail... That's actually a really good idea. Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)