Team Nejiki ver. 2

Team Introduction

Alrighty, so Regionals is a little more than two weeks away, and I'd like to feel comfortable with a good team and all. I used this during the International Wi-Fi Tournament and was less successful than I would've liked, but I'm open to any changes. Let's begin.

As most of you should know, I got my username from combining Nick and Gliscor, thus making 'Nickscor'. As some users here have a signature Pokémon, I figured Gliscor would be mine. I got this from Zari already EV trained, so I figured I could put this to work and make it the core of my GBU Doubles/VGC team. Poison Heal is great and all, along with Tailwind support, but Ice-type attacks and Rain teams give it a hard time. I decided to make this and Earthquake abuser, so Flying-type and Levitate Pokémon would be a must.

Rotom-W may as well be considered one of the best VGC 2012 Pokémon thanks to its excellent typing and Levitate. For one, it negates Gliscor's Earthquakes and can use Will-o-Wisp to cripple or outright KO Gliscor's potential with its STAB attacks. However, Rotom-W can't do much against Grass-types such as Ferrothorn and Ludicolo, which could still give the two trouble.

Ah Moltres, Zapdos' forgotten brother. Moltres gives the team a way to deal with opposing Grass-types with STAB Heat Wave and Air Slash, earning it a place on the team. It also benefits from Tailwind if used, and unlike most Fire-types (with the exceptions of Charizard and Rotom-H) is immune to Earthquake allowing Gliscor to Earthquake spam. Double Rock weakness sucks and Rain teams could easily KO Moltres, so I still needed a way to deal with them.

Enter Tyranitar, my response to dealing with Rain, Hail, and even Sun. He's capable of dishing out a lot of pain assuming the damage is Super Effective. Works against Trick Room if necessary.

Metagross was another good Mon I decided to add as can also Earthquake spam can covers some Rock and Ice-type threats (read: Terrakion). In addition, it's somewhat bulky, but fears Fire-type moves mostly. Priority Bullet Punch is cool.

The final addition to the team was Latios, as I wanted a fast, heavy hitter. Again, able to null Earthquake, so it can pair well with Gliscor and Metagross who can take out Steel-types that resist Latios's STAB moves.

Team Details

Gliscor (F) @ Toxic Orb
Adamant - Poison Heal
IVs: 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31
EVs: 204 HP / 164 Atk / 140 Spe
Moves: Earthquake, Rock Slide, Protect, Tailwind

This was already EV trained when I got it so I had to improvise. Basically, it has enough Speed (133) to outspeed common Scarfers in Tailwind and have bulk and attack power. The major trouble I have with this is its weak Special Defense, so stuff like Swift Swim Ludicolo and Kingdra, Scarf Abomasnow, and friends can easily KO Gliscor. Laughs at physical players such as Terrakion and Garchomp, assuming the former doesn't get Flinch hax.

Considering: Replacing with something else.

Rotom-W (-) @ Leftovers
Timid - Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Moves: Thunderbolt, Hydro Pump, Will-o-Wisp, Substitute

Substitute is a very odd move. A lot of the times I can predict a switch so I usually set up Sub or use WoW to cripple any potential switch-ins (Who's gonna switch a Fire-type on Rotom-W?). Really useless against Grass-types though, the best thing it can do is WoW and/or SubStall.

Considering: HP Ice (Thanks Cereza!), Trick, Scarf set

Moltres (-) @ Fire Gem
Modest - Pressure
IVs: 31 / x / 31 / 30 / 31 / 31
EVs: 252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe
Moves: Heat Wave, Air Slash, HP Grass, Protect

This is something that isn't really seen often, but is very underrated. On one hand, he can rape opposing Grass, Steel, and Fighting-types with its STAB moves, but on the other hand gets absolutely destroyed by the common Rock (Slide) and Water-type moves. I used to used Zapdos, but I found that Zapdos's Heat Waves weren't strong enough so I rolled with this. HP Grass is an emergency move; it's obviously not enough to OHKO Water and Rock-types but it's there.

Tyranitar (F) @ Focus Sash
Brave - Sand Stream
IVs: 31 / 31 / 31 / x / 31 / 0
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Moves: Rock Slide, Crunch, Fire Punch, Protect

Ahh, so many weaknesses so that's why I brought a Sash. The only thing I like about this is its STAB Crunch against Psychic and Ghost-types. Can mess with special attackers with Sand's Special Defense boost, like Zapdos and Chandelure.

Considering: Replacing (Initially put because of Sand Stream)

Metagross (-) @ Sitrus Berry
Adamant - Clear Body
EVs: 204 HP / 164 Atk / 140 Spe
Moves: Iron Head, Earthquake, Bullet Punch, Protect

If a team has Hitmontop or another Intimidate user, I lead with this bro 99% of the time along with either Latios, Moltres, or Rotom-W. This is my tank of sorts, he's managed to pull the team out of a lot of sticky situations and is overall badass. Bullet Punch's priority is nice.

Considering: Zen Headbutt, but what do I remove?!? Meteor Mash over Iron Head. Scarf?

Latios (M) @ Dragon Gem
Timid - Levitate
IVs: 31 / 28 / 31 / 31 / 31 / 31
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Moves: Dragon Pulse, Psychic, Draco Meteor, Protect

Heavy hitter and fast, not a whole lot can survive a STAB Dragon Gem boosted Draco Meteor. If they do, I'll be pissed. Not much else to say here.

Considering: Thunderbolt, Tailwind

Threats

Rain - Dear god, I really hate Rain teams with a passion. I can usually outplay them with Rotom and Latios/Metagross, but one wrong move on my part usually costs me the match.

Sand - Sand Veil Garchomp is an asshole. Gliscor works wonders against these teams, since they're mostly physically inclined. I usually also bring Rotom and Latios, the last depends on Team Preview.

Hail - Abomasnow are relatively easy to predict when I have Moltres on the field. I usually bring in Tyranitar, Metagross, and Rotom-W.

Sun - Can be troublesome to deal with if I misplay, Chlorophyll users (read: Grass-types) can be assholes if they go around spamming Sleep Powder like nothing. Tyranitar can disrupt Sun, but can only do it safely if Ninetales is removed.

Goodstuff - Depends on Team Preview and initial selection, but I find these the most exciting to play.

Trick Room - Kill me already, I really can't stand Jellicent/Amoongus leadoffs. Tyranitar can have a field day, but must watch out for slower foes.

Terrakion - Sure, Latios can outspeed and OHKO, but rapes Tyranitar and Moltres. Metagross can hit for SE damage and Rotom can cripple or KO.

Cress - So damn annoying if Thunder Waves my entire team! Tyranitar Crunch can usually 2HKO so no biggie unless there's a Hitmontop partnered up.

Ferrothorn - Can be a pain if Moltres and/or Tyranitar are out. LEECH SEED variants are the reason for RAGE.

Latios - Let's hope they don't win the Speed tie. Otherwise Tyranitar can kick its ass to Sunday. Metagross resists both of its STAB attacks.

Zapdos - Pretty annoying, a lot have HP Ice, so Gliscor's a no-no anyways. Probably Tyranitar and Rotom can deal with it.

Metagross - Earthquake its ass, burn it, or scorch it with Moltres's Heat Wave. Tyranitar and Latios can't do much though.

sHitmontop - Hope I Protect correctly, I won't lead with Tyranitar or Gliscor if I see this, as 90% of them have Intimidate. Sucker Punch is annoying, it's so fun to burn this if I have Rotom-W.

voodoo pimp

marco pimp
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
I'd drop Earthquake for Zen Headbutt on Metagross. I've tried it myself and found its power to be disappointing with the spread modifier and no STAB. Plus Zen Headbutt lets you OHKO Hitmontop, and if you go for Meteor Miss it's slightly better against Terrakion as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)