Monotype Team Steel

The problem of choosing Steel has a type to use in Monotype is that the types that have an advantqage against it are so commonly used. Fighting-, Fire-, Ground- are very good offensive options and there are many teams that use one of this types as a main type and the others as secondary types. On the other hand the Steel-type is pretty underwhelming when on the offensive and sometimes has to rely on stall tactics to be effective.

So, when using Steel to build a team it is necessary to always have in mind its counters and ways to deal with them. This team does not work very well, especially when Excadrill is involved, so all help is greatly appreciated.

Heatran @ Air Balloon
Ability: Flash Fire
Shiny: Yes
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm

Since Fire-type is a counter to Steel, having a pokémon with an immunity to it is a simple and effective idea. Heatran has Flash Fire to deal with Fire-attacks and an Air Balloon to help against its weakness to Ground. Stealth Rock is good option to use after considering Taunting the opponent to prevent a set-up. Earth Power deals with the opposing Heatran or Steel-type opponent and Magma Storm traps a favorable match on the field.

Metagross @ Assault Vest
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Earthquake
- Zen Headbutt
- Meteor Mash

I have a personal preference for Metagross, so this choice may be a mistake. It acts as a tank, using a boosted defense by Assault Vest and its bulk to take on neutral threats and Fighting types, since it is a Psychic pokémon. Bullet Punch is a STAB priority, Eartquake a neutral coverage move, and Zen Heabutt and Meteor Mash are the STABs.

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Bisharp is a tough pokémon to use. Its main tactic is to enter against a match that can't do much to him, use Swords Dance to raise its Attack and them using Sucker Punch inflict heavy damage on its opponent until it faints. Knock Off and Iron Head are STABs that remove the opponent held item, and cause flinching respectively. However, Bisharp requires a great deal of prediction and that makes it difficult to use.

Lucario @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Steadfast
Jolly Nature
- Bullet Punch
- Blaze Kick
- Ice Punch
- Close Combat

Lucario is another pokémon I put in this team, but wish that I had another option. Since Dragons are difficult to deal with, I chose a pokémon witn a high Attack stat and acess to an Ice move. Lucario fulfilled this requisites and so I put it on the team. A Choice Scarf helps giving it an edge on Speed. Bullet Punch is a priority for when i don't feel safe even with the Scarf. Blaze Kick and Close Combat are coverage options, the last on with a STAB.

Celesteela @ Leftovers
Ability: Beast Boost
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
- Leech Seed
- Protect
- Flamethrower
- Heavy Slam

Celesteela is part Flying type so it is a counter against Ground-types. I chose a moveset directed to stalling. Leech Seed and Leftovers take care of recovering Cleesteela's HP and chipping away the opponent's. Protect helps Celesteela stall. Flamethrower deals with Steel-typed foes and Heavy Slam is a nice STAB. However, it is important to have in mind that Ground-types frquently have a Rock-type attack that can seriously damage Celesteela, so this choice is not as safe as it appears.

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 224 HP / 252 Atk / 32 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Energy Ball
- Iron Head
- Zen Headbutt

Jirachi is another Psychic to try to counter Fighting types. First, Jirachi uses Thunder Wave to paralyse its opponent and then hits them with its STABs Zen Headbutt and Iron Head which, when combined withe Serene Grace, can permanently block a counterattack. Energy Ball is a move against Ground- and Water-types.

Moosical

big yikes
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Hi there, welcome to building Monotype teams! Your team is a pretty good start, but it could do with some improvement. Assuming that you want this to be an offensive Steel team, I'd make the following changes:

First off the Heatran is good except you need to be running Stone Edge and 16 Attack.
Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 16 Atk / 236 SpA / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm

With Stone Edge, Heatran OHKOs Volcarona, which Steel otherwise is easily swept by, allowing you to prevent the sweep as long as you maintain your Balloon.

Secondly, I see that you favor Metagross, but unfortunately, it's not very good on Steel in Monotype. Mega Scizor will fit on this team much better as a strong and bulky priority Pokemon. Since this is an offensive teams, I'm going to provide and offensive Scizor set; but if you want a more defensive option, keep in mind that those exist as well.
Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower
Scizor is much better as a priority attacker and will help immensely in several matchups, including Psychic.

Next, unfortunately, Lucario is very weak and even with Ice Punch, won't really do much to most Dragon-types as they sport high bulk. Therefore, I'd recommend using Excadrill as your Choice Scarf Pokemon. Its Ground typing is crucial to help with Electric-types and can also be your Stealth Rock setter. Alternatively, you could run Toxic to deal with Mega Sableye or hazard remover.
Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Rapid Spin

While your Celesteela set is already good, I think you could change it to the following set to much more easily deal with Ground-types that you mentioned you have issues with:
Celesteela @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpA / 32 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hidden Power Ice
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower

Finally, if you have a preference for Jirachi, the following set is pretty fun and worth trying out! It does wonders against Water teams (that you mentioned you wanted to deal with with Jirachi) as well as Poison teams.
Jirachi @ Normalium Z
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Happy Hour
- Iron Head
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt

After all of these changes, your final team would look like this:
Heatran @ Air Balloon
EVs: 16 Att / 236 SpA / 252 Speed
Nature: Timid
- Stone Edge
- Taunt
- Earth Power
- Magma Storm

Scizor @ Scizorite
Ability: Light Metal
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Bullet Punch
- Bug Bite
- Superpower

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Stealth Rock

Bisharp @ Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Knock Off
- Iron Head

Celesteela @ Assault Vest
EVs: 252 HP / 224 SpA / 32 SpD
Quiet Nature
- Hidden Power Ice
- Giga Drain
- Earthquake
- Flamethrower

Jirachi @ Normalium Z
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Happy Hour
- Iron Head
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
Best of luck with the team and I hope the changes help you out!

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)