Team Undermole (Peaked #3 on Smogon)

This is my first official post on Smogon, although I’ve visited the site for some time. I’ve mainly played Standard OU, and have had a couple of pretty successful accounts somewhere in the mid 1300s. After the banning of Garchomp, I became interested in DW OU. When Excadrill was banned to DW, I decided to try to build a fast-paced sandstorm team oriented towards setting up an Excadrill sweep. This team is really fun to play with and has probably been my most successful so far, staying on the leaderboard for quite some time and peaking at #3 with a ranking of 1498. So without further ado, team Undermole:

PROCESS

Following the goal of the team, I needed Excadrill. Tyranitar was also necessary to provide the sand that activates sand rush.

The next thing I looked at was how to remove excadrill’s counters—mostly bulky pokes immune or resistant to EQ, including skarmory, bronzong, and gliscor, and fighting priority users. Choice scarf chandelure with hp [ice] was perfect for this job. I also needed a hard stop of my own against excadrill, garchomp, and other powerful physical sweepers. I choze bronzong for its excellent dual defensive stats (as opposed to skarmory, whose special defense is much lower). Bronzong was also my stealth rocker.

Mienshao was chosen because I needed a priority user and revenge killer, gyrados because I noticed I didn't have a single water resist and knew how good Moxie gyarados is.This team did pretty well, but I kept having this problem: while every team member was performing their own functions, I was having a hard time keeping them all alive , due to the lack of a real defensive core other than bronzong. In addition, I kept losing games to bulky set-up sweepers because I had no phaser.

I made the switch to skarmory over bronzong and replaced gyarados with a specially defensive jellicent to cover the loss in special defensive capability. I also replaced mienshao with conkeldurr for his better bulk and much more powerful priority.

In-Depth

Tyranitar @ shed shell
Sand stream
Lonely nature
232 Hp, 252 Atk 24 Spe
Pursuit
Superpower
Crunch
Fire blast/ice beam
Role
Tyranitar provides the necessary sand that lets Excadrill sweep. In addition, he is often the Pokémon to muscle through opponent’s walls through his power and coverage. Chandelure is down and there’s a Ferrothorn I can’t get rid of? A Slowbro walling me? Tyranitar. He can also remove opposing genesect (or scizor) on the switch if I predict right, as both are common switch-ins to Ttar.

Set comments
232 Hp EVs brings me to 399, cutting down SR damage. Atk is maximized, with a lonely nature chosen to preserve my excellent SpD. The speed EVs allow me to get the jump on most bulky TTar. Pursuit gets fleeing shandera, choice-locked resisted pokes, weakened weather starters, etc. Superpower hits other tyranitar and provides great coverage along with dark. Crunch is needed as my team is a little lacking in the means to take down bulky pokes like slowbro and zapdos, both of whom crunch allows me to overpower. Fire blast allows me to take out unsuspecting ferrothorn, forretress, genesect, and scizor. I used to have ice beam on this set, as getting rid of gliscor and dragonite was really helpful, but couldn’t really find a place to fit it in. No special attack EVs are needed as this set’s only special attack, fire blast, is more used to dent opposing pokes than to take them out, as excadrill can easily handle a 30% ferrothorn or whatever. Finally, shed shell is a bit of a gimmick, but it allows me to escape from dugtrio and chandelure (if I’m weakened) (and wobbuffet lol). Furthermore, this set doesn’t really need another item, and nothing else has really clicked for me. (And sometimes escaping dugtrio on opposing weather teams can sometimes make the difference in a game.) I’m open to suggestions though.

Chandelure @ choice scarf
Shadow tag
Timid nature
4 Hp, 252 SpA, 252 Spe
Overheat
Shadow ball
Energy ball
Hidden power [ice]
Role
Perfect for revenging Breloom, Dnite (once multiscale is broken, which is almost always), non-scarf Genesect, and most all Pokémon at 50% or less. Because my team tends to leave very few turns free for the opponent to set up, Chandelure will rarely be slower than a non-scarfed enemy. Because many teams rely on synergy between Pokémon to function properly, Chandelure is especially useful against defensive or stall-based teams, as taking out one wall makes the weaknesses they covered more exploitable. Chandelure also performs the invaluable job of trapping and disposing of non-shed shell Skarmory, Gliscor, Bronzong, breloom, and conkeldurr, all of whom can put an end to my Excadrill sweep. Although Chandelure is one of the two stealth rock-weak Pokémon on my team, it doesn’t really care about it as he usually never has to switch in that many times and rarely, if ever, has to take a hit.

Set comments
Straightforward EVs, timid over modest to outspeed +1 dragonite (most of them at least) and opposing chandelure. Overheat is chosen as fire STAB because Chandelure will rarely be staying in for more than one or two turns and the extra power lets it OHKO a TON of Pokémon. Shadow ball provides secondary stab and can sometimes be used to sweep during the endgame as well as OHKOing Gengar and Starmie. Energy ball gets a super-effective hit on Politoed and other water types and lets it OHKO non-specially defensive Swampert and Gastrodon. HP [ice] is for dragons, Gliscor, and Landorus.

Skarmory @ shed shell
Sturdy
Impish nature
252 Hp 252 Def 4 Spe
Stealth rock
Roost
Whirlwind
Brave bird
Role
Very standard set, but still effective. Skarmory performs three invaluable roles for me: setting up stealth rock, walling physical threats, and phasing. With sturdy activated, skarmory can serve as a last resort against a boosted volcarona or something.

Set comments
EVs are straightforward, maximizing physical defense. Stealth rock is stealth rock and is chosen over spikes because I didn’t have somewhere else to put it and this team has a lot more trouble with fliers than grounded pokes. Roost preserves skarmory’s longevity and allows it to stall out exca and chomp. Whirlwind phases, and brave bird allows skarmory some consistent damage. Shed shell is invaluable given the prevalence of chandelure, as losing skarmory can open me up to being swept by any of the physical powerhouses of DW.

Conkeldurr @ fist plate
Iron fist
Adamant nature
252 Hp, 252 Atk, 4 Spe
Bulk up
Mach punch
Drain punch
Payback
Role
Conkeldurr provides this team with some much-needed priority as well as simply beating so many threats. While he loses out on breloom’s spore, he is much bulkier and actually more powerful, which is why he is included over loom. In addition to easily beating excadrill and garchomp one-on-one, conkeldurr can beat so many other pokes I have trouble with. A +1 flamethrower from scarf genesect does around 60% max, and I can easily KO with drain punch + mach punch. A +1 surf from keldeo does around 90%--I live even through SR, and can again easily KO with drain punch + mach punch, recovering about a third of my health in the process. An unboosted mach punch does around 90% to excadrill, a guaranteed KO if it has taken basically any previous damage. Meanwhile, EQ is only doing around 40-60%, depending on nature and item. Conkeldurr also tends to lure out many of excadrill’s counters, allowing me to build up damage on them.

Set comments
Very straightforward. Maximizing attack and then HP to give me good defenses on both sides, with 4 speed EVs to outspeed other conkeldurr.

Jellicent @ leftovers
Water absorb
Calm nature
236 Hp, 12 Def, 252 SpD, 8 Spe
Recover
Will-o-wisp
Toxic
Surf
Role
Jellicent is probably my favorite Pokémon to use in DW. With the given EVs, he takes boosted super effective special attacks like they’re nothing. +1 scarf genesect thunderbolt is doing like 40%. A super effective +1 LO keldeo hidden power does like 45-50%. Jellicent also walls the standard manaphy set, as +6 ice beam does around 40%, allowing it to be easily stalled out (provided rain is not up so that I can status it). Combined with skarmory, jellicent can wall a huge number of opposing Pokémon.

Set comments
EVs are fairly simple, bringing HP to a leftovers number and maximizing SpD with 8 in Spe to possibly get the jump on no speed jellicent so I can toxic before they taunt, and then the rest in defense. While it may seem somewhat redundant to have both will-o-wisp and toxic on the same set, they absolutely have their separate uses. Will-o-wisp can render a physical threat almost inconsequential, and allows me to escape with my life from a Ttar with pursuit. Toxic, meanwhile, allows me to break down many of the bulky walls that hinder this team and is great for wearing down ninetales and politoed. Given the status moves, surf is opted over scald for its extra power, and recover allows me to regain health and stall opponents out.

Excadrill @ air balloon
Sand rush
Jolly
4 Hp 252 Atk 252 Speed
Swords dance
Earthquake
Rock slide
Frustration
Role
And here is the main sweeper of my team: excadrill. While the goal is to outright sweep, sometimes he ends up doing more revenge killing, as it can be difficult to find the means to get a boost in. Air balloon is often that means, as with it excadrill can set up against even enemy gliscor and proceed to KO them with a +2 frustration if they are under 40%. With many top players using excadrill, sometimes a game will come down to who can pop the other’s balloon to allow their own excadrill to KO the other.

Set comments
Not at all complicated. Jolly is chosen solely to tie with/outspeed other excadrill, and exca rarely needs the extra power from adamant if I’ve played well. SD and EQ are mandatory, as is rock slide to hit flyers. Frustration is chosen over X-scissor or some other coverage move almost solely because it allows for a stronger hit on gliscor than rock slide.

Code:
OFFENSIVE THREAT LIST
**Dangerous**          *Troublesome*          Not a threat
  *Deoxys-s*
  ·      Focus sash
  ·      Offensive
  ·      Dual screens
  Actually an issue for me. Sand breaks the sash, but Ttar has to watch out for super power. Exca outspeeds, but can’t always OHKO depending on the spread, and superpower hurts. Fortunately, can’t hurt skarmory, so I can set up rocks along with it and brave bird 2HKOs. Problematic as a lead.

Serperior
  ·      Sub seed
  ·      Choice
  If it’s not choice scarf, chandelure can take a leaf storm and OHKO. And if it is scarfed, skarmory sets up on leaf storm and jelly on HP [fire].

Feraligatr
  ·      Swords dance
  ·      Dragon dance
  Skarmory and jellicent wall, conk can beat one-on–one. Mostly a late game threat if it has aqua jet.

Hitmonlee
  ·      Unburden
  Skarmory and jellicent wall, conk beats easily one-on-one. If I can get a ghost in on HJK, conk easily finishes with mach punch.

Heracross
  ·      Guts abuse
  ·      Choice
  Skarm and jelly wall, chandelure traps and OHKOs. Conk can set up if it’s locked into megahorn.

Tyranitar
  ·      Choice band
  ·      Choice scarf
  ·      Dragon dance
  ·      Support
  Conk fears nothing, skarmory only fire attacks. Jelly outspeeds some variants and will-o-wisps. However, it can trap chandelure, who can’t do anything back, and kill it, which really hurts,

*Rotom-w*
  ·      Choice
  Not a huge problem on its own, but volturn cores can be annoying. Ttar takes it on, exca can kill if it’s at ~40%, chandelure ouspeeds non-scarfers and can deal ~50% with energy ball. Defensive versions can be hard to deal with late game.

Scizor
  ·      Choice band
  ·      Swords dance
  ·      Bulky swords dance
  Not a big threat. Chandelure traps, skarmory laughs, as does jellicent. As above, volturn is annoying though, but rotom is the much more troubling of the core.

Dragonite
  ·      Choice band
  ·      Dragon dance
  ·      Mixed
  ·      Parashuffler
  ·      Rain abuser
  Chandelure usually outspeeds +1 dragonite and easily 2HKOs through multiscale (and OHKOs if it’s broken). As long as it doesn’t have too many boosts, skarmory can take a fire punch and whirlwind. Excadrill deals about 60% without boosts or multiscale.

**Politoed**
  ·      Choice
  ·      3 attacks
  Weather changers are a big threat for this team, and rain is particularly annoying. Jellicent walls politoed utterly, only annoyed by toxics which it can respond with in kind. Generally, if I can sacrifice a Pokémon to get rid of politoed, I will. Chandelure can take out politoed under 40-60% depending on the spread. 

Heatran
  ·      Standard
  Not a problem. Exca easily OHKOs, as does conkeldurr. Tyranitar deals heavy damage with superpower, and jellicent walls.

Jirachi
  ·      Substitute/Wish+CM
  ·      Offensive expert belt
  ·      Choice scarf
  Conkeldurr beats one-on-one most of the time, skarmory isn’y badly hurt by anything bar thunder)bolt). Chandelure traps and OHKOs with overheat.

Latios
  ·      Life orb
  ·      Choice
  ·      Calm mind
  Jellicent isn’t 2HKOed by specs thunderbolt or draco meteor and can easily recover off the damage. Ttar can trap, and Latios’s only move to hurt it is surf, which heals jelly if I predict right. Chandelure KOs with shadow ball at ~90%.

Reuniclus
  ·      Calm mind
  ·      Trick room
  Annoying, bcause my special wall can’t do much to hurt it due to magic guard. Ttar Kos or almost KOs with crunch, and chandelure deals a ton with shadow ball. Trick room variants usually mean I have to predict a bit, but I don’t usually have too much trouble with these.

Haxorus
  ·      Choice
  ·      Dragon dance
  ·      Double dance
  Skarmory skarmory skarmory.

*Ninetales*
  ·      Nasty plot
  ·      Choice specs
  ·      Special attacker
  Like politoed, ninetales is a threat simply by being a weather-summoner. Fortunately, jellicent walls him almost as badly, taking less than 40% from solarbeam and toxic/recover-stalling. Sunny day/will-o-wisp variants beat Ttar 1-on-1 though, which is annoying. SR weakness makes it easier to deal with though.

Conkeldurr
  ·      Bulk up
  ·      Subpunch
  ·      Guts
  Jellicent burns and skarmory walls. Chandelure does like 96% to max HP min SpD versions, but watch out for the miss chance as payback OHKOs. Mostly a threat for its ability to check excadrill.

Jolteon
  ·      Choice specs
  ·      Offensive
  ·      Baton pass
  Haven’t seen many of these. Ttar laughs at anything and doesn’t even mind HP [fighting] much, conk isn’t OHKOed and KOs with drain punch, chandelure outspeeds and OHKOs, Exca sets up on it.

*Manaphy*
  ·      Offensive tail glow
  ·      Bulky tail glow
  ·      Calm mind
  Tricky. While jellicent walls it really well, hydration means I need rain gone or I can’t do anything back to it. This is usually accomplished fairly easily by immediately going to Ttar as they tail glow and then going to jellicent for the toxic, but still, a threat, particularly if Ttar goes down. Chandelure can deal 60% to offensive versions with energy ball.

*Thundurus*
  ·      Nasty plot
  ·      Prankster
  Chandelure OHKOs with overheat, but risks being paralysed or KOed if overheat misses. If rain is going, I have to decied whether I want to risk a focus blast and switch to tyranitar to change the weather—predicting wrong can cost me a match.

Zapdos
  ·      Offensive
  Ttar can take it on due to lack of focus blast, and chandelure and excadrill can kill if it’s damaged at all. Its lack of power means it isn’t hugely threatening regardless.

Celebi
  ·      Nasty plot sweeper
  ·      Tinkerbell
  ·      Choice scarf
  Ttar takes even a nasty plot giga drain and does heavy damage with crunch. Chandelure OHKOs most versions with overheat (and shadow ball finishes off weakened ones). Can be somewhat problematic late-game as exca can only manage ~40% with frustration, so needs a bit of prior damage and an SD for him to pull it off.

Terrakion
  ·      Double dance
  ·      Choice
  ·      Substitute+SD
  Skarmory walls and phases non-banders, although I need to get rid of them before they can SD and hit me, as SD close combat easily 2HKOs. Band stone edge doesn’t 2HKO though, so they are forced to lock themselves into CC to get by skarm…when chandelure comes in for a free kill. Conk and exca also beat easily. Not a big problem.

Gyarados
  ·      Dragon dance
  ·      Choice scarf
  If it has sub, skarm. If it doesn’t jelly. Jellicent walls it better due to being immune to waterfall, but can’t get through subs, while skarmory can phase it but gets hurt if it gets too many DDs. Most threatening if used with rain up, but overall I can work around it without too much trouble.

*Gengar*
  ·      Substitute
  A little annoying. Actually can 2HKO jellicent with shadow ball, so I can’t wall it like other special threats. If it doesn’t have a sub up, chandelure easily OHKOs, as does Tyranitar if it doesn’t get hit be focus blast. If I need to, I can take a hit with conk to break its sub. If it has life orb, predicted switches can wear it down very quickly with SS in play, and if it has lefties then skarmory can take a focus blast okay. Tricky though.

Starmie
  ·      Life orb
  ·      Rapid spin
  ·      Choice specs
  Ttar traps and shrugs off everything but specs hydro pump. Chandelure easily OHKOs. Jellicent walls, but can’t do much in return thanks to natural cure.

Landorus
  ·      Rock polish/swords dance
  ·      Choice scarf
  ·      Substitute
  ·      Sheer force
  If it’s not choice scarf, chandelure KOs easily. Unless it’s SD with LO (or smack down EQ lol), skarmory can wall it.

Infernape
  ·      Mixed attacker
  ·      Nasty plot/swords dance
  ·      Choice band
  Conk takes anything and OHKOs. Jellicent isn’t 2HKOed by thunder punch without LO, and can outstall barring paralyze or crits. Exca easily kills, but has to be wary of mach punch. Chandelure deals >60% with shadow ball and doesn’t have to worry about anything on a standard set.

Volcarona
  ·      Offensive quiver dance
  ·      Bulky quiver dance
  ·      Chesto rest
  ·      Substitute
  Jellicent walls, skarmory can phase if sturdy is intact. If I see volcarona, I’ll try to get stealth rock up early. Excadrill also outspeeds +1 volcarona and OHKOs with rock slide (or 2HKOs with EQ).

Magnezone
  ·      Substitute
  ·      Choice
  Only Pokémon it can really hurt I skarmory, who has shed shell. Chandelure traps and KOs, tyranitar does heavy damage with superpower or fire blast, exca and conk OHKO.

Espeon
  ·      Calm mind
  ·      Sun attacker
  Ttar takes little from even HP [fighting] and OHKOs with crunch. Chandelure can revenge. Exca easily KOs with an SD.

Salamence
  ·      Dragon dance
  ·      Mixed
  ·      Defensive
  ·      Choice scarf
  Similar to dnite except that chandelure can’t outspeed +1 mence but it doesn’t have multiscale. Can be dangerous if allowed to set up, but jelly and skarm can handle it usually.

Hydreigon
  ·      Offensive
  ·      Choice
  ·      Substitute
  Conk checks well, dealing ~60% with mach punch and surviving non-LO draco meteor. Chandelure and exca can revenge, jellicent shrugs off everything not a dark attack.

**Breloom**
  ·      Swords dance
  ·      Sub punch
  ·      Sub seed
  One of the things me team doesn't have is a status absorber, meaning breloom can usually get a “kill” on me per game. Skarmory and chandelure wall and OHKO, but neither wants to take +2 mach punches or bullet seeds, respectively, especially if asleep. The biggest threat breloom poses is lategame, if I haven't reserved a sleep sacrifice for it since it is one of the few offensive pokes that outright beats exca. Again, not hard to deal with if I prepare, but can be devastating if I’m not completely prepared.

Latias
  ·      Calm mind
  ·      Offensive
  Same as latios with less sting. Jellicent takes any hit, although sets with sub will beat it. However, tyranitar laughs at sets without surf, and skarm can phase before they get too many boosts. Chandelure is less reliable at revenging though.

*Toxicroak*
  ·      Swords dance
  ·      Bulk up
  Actually a legitimate threat, and one of the priomary reasons I use skarm over bronzong. Chandelure can’t revenge if it has sucker punch, exca is taken down if it has a sub. While it can’t do anything to jellicent, neither can jelly do anything to it back, leading to a stall war that toxicroak will win. Conkeldurr will lose a bulk up war due to toxicroak’s fighting resist but win if it has SD. However, skarm walls it utterly and completely, sets up rocks, breaks its subs, and phases. If skarm is down, though, croak can be troublesome. Not game-breaking, but troublesome. 

Lucario
  ·      Swords dance
  ·      Nasty plot
  Not too bad. Even a sword-danced bullet punch does less than half to chandelure, who OHKOs. If it doesn’t have crunch, jelly walls. Exca easily OHKOs.

Virizion
  ·      Calm mind
  ·      Swords dance
  Conk beats 1-on-1, doesn’t get KOed by +1 giga drain and kills with drain punch + mach punch. Chandelure OHKOs with overheat even if it’s at +1. SD gets walled by skarmory and chandelure still revenges.

Scrafty
  ·      Dragon dance
  ·      Bulk up
  ·      Haven’t seen a single one of these. Conk beats easily, chandelure does a ton with overheat, skarmory can wall.

Venusaur
  ·      Special growth
  ·      Mixed growth
  ·      Sub seed
  ·      Attacker
  Most dangerous for sleep powder. Can hypothetically do damage with too many growths, but generally I just switch Ttar into it and then go to chandelure on the giga drain. Exca outspeeds when not in sun and 2HKOs.

Metagross
  ·      Stealth rock
  ·      Choice
  ·      Agility
  Chandelure OHKOs, skarm walls, exca OHKOs (most of the time), jelly walls, conk can beat 1-on-1.

Mienshao
  ·      Attacker
  Chandelure comes in on fake out or HJK and kills, jelly and skarm wall, conk overpowers. Only poke who’s really bothered is Ttar.

Cloyster
  ·      Shell smash
  Conk destroys, living +2 icicle spear without LO and healing back health with drain punch. If it doesn’t have white herb, mach punch has a 50% chance to KO with stealth rock damage and one shell smash.

*Mamoswine*
  ·      Attacker
  Skarm walls, jelly can take an EQ. kind of dangerous though. Chandelure can revenge, but doesn’t love taking ice shards too much. Same goes for exca. Conk beats pretty much, although it can't take repeated EQs.

Alakazam
  ·      Attacker
  ·      Substitute
  Similar to gengar, but easier to deal with due to lack of stab on shadow ball and thus jellicent can wall it. As with gengar, chandelure revenges easily, as does exca (although watch out for sash). Conkeldurr cannot take a hit though.

Tornadus
  ·      Rain abuser
  ·      Choice specs
  ·      Bulk up
  Similar boat as thundurus, but can’t beat jellicent. Chandelure can also revenge without worrying about thunder wave.

*Keldeo*
  ·      Calm mind
  ·      Choice specs
  ·      Sub + CM
  One of the great things about jellicent is how absolutely it walls keldeo. Taking only ~40 from +1 super effective hidden power means keldeo is not getting past jelly anytime soon. Regardless, kedleo is a potent Pokémon in general. If it gets too many CMs, jellicent will be 2HKOed, and if jellicent goes down it can sweep a good portion of the team. Mach punch + EQ from conk and exca, respectively, should take it down, and conk can take a +1 surf can KO back.

Excadrill
  ·      Swords dance
  Skarmory walls and conk beats. If needed, I can break a possible balloon with mach punch and then KO with me own excadrill. Not as threatening for this team as it might be.

Garchomp
  ·      Sub + SD
  ·      Choice
  ·      Offensive SD
  In a similar boat to excadrill. Skarm walls barring boosted fire attacks, conk beats 1-on-1, exca can beat if air balloon is intact. In addition, chandelure can OHKO with hp [ice].

Weavile
  ·      Offensive
  ·      Swords dance
  Conk OHKOs with mach punch or sets up on it, chandelure revenges, exca KOs. Skarm walls.

Raikou
  ·      Substitute + CM
  ·      Calm mind
  ·      Choice
  Ttar walls except for the rare rash aura sphere raikou, chandelure and exca revenge. Usually not a big danger.

Chandelure
  ·      Choice
  ·      Substitute
  As big a threat as chandelure is, it actually it not at all dangerous for this team. Tyranitar KOs with crunch or catches a fleer with pursuit, exca OHKOs, conk isn’t OHKOed by overheat at full HP and can OHKO back with payback, and skarm has shed shell to switch to Ttar and trap. Jellicent takes just over half from shadow ball, meaning it can beat chandelure if chandelure is in surf KO range and jellicent is at good health. Can be dangerous if used to remove my weakened chandelure to allow for a keldeo sweep or something.

Empoleon
  ·      Agility
  ·      Choice specs
  Excadrill outspeeds at +2 and KOs, Conk murders with mach punch. Jelly walls.

Golurk
  ·      Rock polish
  ·      Choice band
  Skarm walls, chandelure OHKOs. Jelly actually counters best though.

Dugtrio
  ·      Choice band
  ·      Focus sash
  The reason why I use shed shell Ttar. Not a huge threat regardless, but its ability to take out chandelure with sucker punch or focus sash is annoying.

Ditto
  ·      Choice scarf
  Nothing on my team is particularly dangerous to be ditto-cloned. Even exca beats its clone self thanks to air balloon.

Victini
  ·      Choice
  ·      Mixed
  ·      Offensive
  Ttar resists V-create and KOs with crunch. Final gambit is perhaps the most dangerous thing it can do.

Suicune
  ·      Calm mind
  Jellicent walls crocune, skarm phases. Last man crocune could potentially sweep my team though, since jellicent can’t hurt it.

Gliscor
  ·      Swords dance
  ·      Acrobat
  Much more dangerous defensively than offensively. Chandelure guarantees it won’t get more than 1 KO, and skarmory walls basically any version.

**Genesect**
  ·      Choice
  ·      Attacker
  ·      Focus sash
  ·      Rock polish
  Genesect is one of the hyped DW threats that very much lives up to its hype in my opinion. Its versatility is the most threatening—assuming it is one set has cost me the game on several occasions. All sets are walled by jellicent, but if it goes down rock polish genesect can sweep. Conk counters if it is at high health, and exca survives scarf flamethrower with no SpA boost, SDs, and OHKOs with +2 EQ. Genesect is also very dangerous in volturn cores. Overall, a huge threat.

*Blaziken*
  ·      Swords dance
  ·      Baton passer
  ·      Mixed
  Although very dangerous, jellicent proves its worth yet again in walling blaziken pretty effectively. The only way blaziken can hurt jellicent is with +2 shadow claw, which means it doesn’t have protect, allowing exca to outspeed if I get in quickly enough. Conk can also tank a hit or finish off a weakened blaziken. Nevertheless a legitimate threat, especially with baton pass.

Meloetta
  ·      Bulky calm mind
  ·      Stallbreaker
  Chandelure OHKOs, Ttar walls those without fighting moves, jellicent walls all versions (bar thunder). Conk and exca can revenge.
Code:
DEFENSIVE THREAT LIST
**Dangerous**          *Troublesome*          Not a threat

Sableye
  ·      Prankster
  ·      Trick
  Chandelure loves to come in on predicted will-o-wisps, which almost every sableye carries. Chandelure also will not be affected by trick. If it doesn't have taunt, jellicent easily outstalls. Can be somewhat difficult to take down, but low defensive stats mean it isn’t too bad.
  Deoxys-D
  ·      Physically/specially defensive
  ·      Toxic staller
  Chandelure easily OHKOs/2HKOs depending on whether it’s physical or special. Tyranitar does the same with crunch. Jellicent outstalls. Conk and exca both set up on it.
  **Amoonguss**
  ·      Offense breaker
  Actually one of the most potent defensive threats for this team. Spore is bad as always, taking out one of my crucial pokes. Chandelure takes care of it if no shed shell. Amoonguss isn't too threatening beyond that, but can be very hard to tke down due to regenerator. Skarmory beats eventually with brave bird and reliable recovery, and can se up rocks. Tyranitar hits physically defensive version hard with fire blast.

*Chansey*
  ·      Wish support
  Conk sets up or OHKOs. Tyranitar deals ~80% with superpower. Actually troubling due to jellicent’s being unable to beat due to natural cure. On the other hand, utter set-up fodder for excadrill. 
  Empoleon
  ·      Specially defensive
  Exadrill and conk OHKO, tyranitar deals heavy damage with superpower. Skarmory sets up along side, Jellicent can finish off a weakened one. Jellicent utterly walls, but can’t do much in return other than will-o-wisping.
  Xatu
  ·      Standard
  ·      Dual screens
  Xatu’s frailty means it is easily OHKOed be chandelure, tyranitar, and boosted excadrill. Only problematic situation is if it comes in on toxic from jellicent or spikes from skarmory, but not much of a threat regardless.
  Donphan
  ·      Defensive
  Somewhat troubling simply by its being able to wall excadrill surprisingly well. Chandelure easily disposes of if sturdy is broken, skarmory sets up, jellicent statuses or 2HKOs. Conk will beat easily 1-on-1.
  Tyranitar
  Not a problem. Just means it goes down to conk, Ttar, and exca more easily.
  Tangrowth
  ·      Physical tank
  Rare, but can easily stop excadrill and conk (to a lesser degree) in their tracks. Chandelure OHKOs, tyranitar does heavy damage, skarmory sets up and phases or brave birds, jellicent burns or poisons and can easily stall out burned power whips with recover.
  *Rotom-w*
  ·      Standard
  Defensive version take ~35% from unboosted frustration from exca, can survive any attack from chandelure or Ttar, and can burn conk (who otherwise counters, taking max of 60% from hydro pump and OHKOs with drain punch + mach punch) Furthermore, jellicent can’t wall strong STAB electric moves forever. Nevertheless, jellicent can toxic and stall, taking a max of 40% from volt switch and not being 2HKOed by thunderbolt via leftovers. Chandelure and excadrill can both finish off weakened rotom, and versions without will-o-wisp are checked solidly by conkeldurr. 
  Wobbuffet
  ·      Bulky
  Chandelure shadow ball does ~80%, crunch OHKOs, skarmory sets up on. Jellicent can toxic, etc. ost importantly, every single team member other than tyranitar and chandelure, who both get close to OHKOing, has a non-attacking move and can thus escape Wobbuffet alive if need be.
  Ferrothorn
  ·      Standard
  Can wall exca, but any without shed shell is taken out by chandelure. Fire blast from ttar does ~75%, and conk sets up on or OHKOs most versions.
  *Politoed*
  ·      Defensive
  Well, this team doesn’t have any electric attacks, making defensive water types somewhat difficult to take down. On the other hand, jellicent walls just about any defensive water completely, and can toxic stall them easily. The most politoed can do in return other than toxicing is hidden power, which hits for <30% even when super effective. Conk easily 2HKOsif necessary, but I prefer not to due to scald’s burn chance.
  Gliscor
  ·      Substitute + toxic
  ·      Defensive
  Skarmory walls it, jellicent 2HKOs and burns non-poison heal version, chandelure OHKOs with HP ice. However, it can pretty much wall the other half of the team since I removed ice beam from tyranitar. Mostly a deal of getting the right half of the team in against it.
  Heatran
  Exca OHKOs, as does conk with the help of mach punch against heavily defensive versions. Tyranitar can do upwards of 70% with superpower. Jellicent walls and can 3HKO with surf unless it’s really specially defensive.
  Jirachi
  All but the most physically defensive version are OHKOed by excadrill, and all are by chandelure. Skarmory sets up on it, jellicent burns it and walls.
  Skarmory
  ·      Physically defensive spiker
  ·      Specially defensive spiker
  Chandelure. With shed shell, tyranitar and jellicent are my best bets. Fire blast easily 2HKOs, and will-o-wisps and surfs will kill it quickly. If it doesn't whirlwind, conk can overcome it with a couple of boosts.
  Ninetales
  Jellicent walls, as does chandelure. Exca OHKOs in sand, Ttar does huge damage with crunch and easily beats if it coesn’t have will-o-wisp. Conk can take a fire blast and drain punch + mach punch, easily killing.
  Celebi
  ·      Physically/specially defensive
  Chandelure and tyranitar OHKO, it can’t due much to skarmory without resorting to HP fire, which is an invitation for the previous two to come in.
  Forretress
  ·      Physically defensive spiker
  ·      Specially defensive spiker
  Much the same as skarmory, but it cant whirlwind conk or exca away, so I can get enough boosts to overpower it and sweep. Chandelure obviously murders non-shed shell versions.
  Gyarados
  ·      RestTalk
  Difficult with no electric attacks, but jellicent walls the standard mono-attacker, skarmory can set up and phase if necessary. Conk can beat it if it doesn’t get phased.
  *Jellicent*
  ·      Utility counter
  This guy is tricky. Conk and TTar beat if it doesn’t have will-o-wisp, jellicent beats if it doesn't have toxic (and who would be crazy enough to run a double status set lol?). Chandelure can 2HKO and take a scald at 70% or more.
  Tentacruel
  ·      Toxic spikes
  Exca can KO if it has taken any prior damage, Ttar can wear down with crunch if it must. Jellicent can wall it and prevent rapid spinning to boot, but can’t do much but will-o-wisping in return.
  Gastrodon
  ·      Tank
  Chandelure deals >90% or OHKOs with energy ball, conk and Ttar can 2HKO the specially defensive version that survive that. Jellicent walls and toxics.
  Espeon
  ·      Dual screens
  ·      Baton pass
  Tyranitar has nothing to fear, taking low damage from even HP fighting. Chandelure OHKOs, conk can take a hit if it uses psychock over psychic.
  Blissey
  ·      Support
  Like chansey, but easier to KO. Conk is the go-to, but if I’m worried about status I’ll instead go to skarmory to set up or something. Just set-up fodder mostly.
  Vaporeon
  ·      Wish support
  ·      Baton pass
  Jellicent walls and toxic stalls. Skarmory can set up. Conk can deal good damage and set up if needed, although scald burns are dangerous.
  Latias
  ·      Support
  Jellicent can wall if it gets a toxic in, but substitute version are harder for him to beat. Tyranitar OHKOs with crunch or traps with pursuit, and chandelure can OHKO physically defensive version.
  Bronzong
  ·      Tank
  ·      Dual screens
  Chandelure OHKOs, jellicent fears nothing, skarmory and conk set up. Tyranitar can smack it with fire blast if need be.
  Swampert
  ·      Defensive
  Chandelure energy ball OHKOs, Ttar and conk can kill with repeated STAB attacks. Jellicent dominates.
  Mew
  ·      Stallbreaker
  Tyranitar OHKOs but must watch out for will-o-wisp. Chandelure 2HKOs. Jellicent can outstall.
  *Slowbro*
  ·      Tank
  Chandelure OHKOs physically defensive versions, chandelure easily walls and toxic stalls. Tyranitar can muscle though even the most defensive versions.
  Quagsire
  ·      Curse
  ·      Physically defensive
  Energy ball OHKOs just about any set. It doesn’t like taking repeated crunches and drain punches either. Jellicent walls and toxic stalls.

Quite the solid team you got there! I especially like the Fist Plate Conkeldurr, seems pretty effective and I will try it myself. I haven't seen Shed Shell on Tyranitar for a long time, props on that too.

I remember playing this on the ladder. You won because I never win speed ties when it comes to Exca vs Exca. :[
In all seriousness, this is a very solid team, however I do see Hidden Power [Grass] / Energy Ball Manaphy as a big weakness. In rain it ignores the status of Jellicent and can set up and Rest with ease. Chandelure fails to OHKO some variants invested in HP with Energy Ball while it can retaliate and OHKO with Surf. I suppose it would take some good prediction in winning the weather war and dealing with it then, but if you lose the Sand you can't really do a whole lot. At this point in the meta, Manaphy doesn't really have a solid counter. I suppose you could use Thundurus or Raikou to check it. It also gives you a lifeline when you lose the weather war to opposing Rain teams when Exca and friends cannot perform to their full potential. To combat this, I recommend running Taunt over Toxic on Jellicent. Taunt allows you to stop Manaphy, Keldeo, Baton Pass Blaziken, Ferrothorn and more stat-boosting / utility mons from setting up on you.
Overall great team, hope I helped!

In all honesty. You raped me with this, lol. They all can cover each other in ways that fit with the meta. The shed shell on Skarmory is very important. For one, Magnezone, and second, Chandelure. Chandelure is a very big threat in the new meta, and your Ttar can counter that with Pursuit. Though after you pursuit, they will go into Genesect, (if they have it) And they will gain the momentum. So it's good if you have a poke to counter whatever they go into after the U-turn. Momentum is very important this meta. Rain teams are nasty with Manaphy, Amoongus, Zapdos, etc. Sand is extremely good, and I ALWAYS see it being used. Excadrill can be countered by your Conkeldurr though. All in all, very good team. I hope to see this get to rank #1 soon!

Personally, after a lot of laddering on the...well, ladder, I found that Terrakion is generally more useful than Excadrill overll. It's much better out of weather and is much better w/o boosts.

Yeah, Mana looks like it could mess you up, so I'd do what Jimb suggested.

Yeah, I've been really annoyed by the lack of an electric poke on this team, but I just can't find a place to fit. It does mean that rain is one of the hardest opposing team styles for this to play. Fortunately, jellicent is amazing against most water-type rain abusers...with manaphy being the notable exception. Unfortunately, my strategy playing against it usually only works perfectly the first time, as they almost never predict the Ttar switch at first, but catch on quickly. I can usually contain it as +1 surf doesn't OHKO conkeldurr, and drain punch + mach punch + energy ball easily KOs and for tail glow sets mach punch + energy ball usually does, but...it's not great. As much as I like conk, I'm thinking he may have to go, possibly to be replaced by Thundurus or something. Also considering deoxys-s--with his movepool, he can serve as a great anti-weather poke, and he gets thunder(bolt). Not sure though--I'll really miss the priority.

Porii: actually, as bad as it is considering the team's original objective, I really have been considering replacing excadrill. While he's great for getting a high rank, he just isn't as effective against top players who are prepared for him. If I go with terrakion, what variant would you suggest? The team is pretty slow without exca, so maybe a scarfer--although choiced fighting type moves are kind of dangerous in DW? Maybe fitting the electric type in there?

Thanks a lot deuce, and I agree I could use a little more momentum-grabbing.

Working on defensive threat list.

Well strictly speaking of sweepers, Double Dance Lefties Terrakion is your best option. Overall use? I think an electric could be more useful; although Terrakion is an amazing late game sweeper.

ZoroDark

esse quam videri
is a Tiering Contributor
As an item choice you might consider chople berry, this allows you to trap and kill Gengar and Alakazam easier. I can't really help more, because this is a great team.

I actually had the same thought, mostly cause I had no great way to deal with deoxys-s leads. I've tried it out and it works great. Thanks for the suggestion!

Nice team overall, and I like your changes(not updated on RMT). I believe you added a loom, dnite, and glisc. However, you were pretty destroyed by Subtran if I remember correctly, since mine had hp ice :P. But yea, great team overall, and good luck.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)