Monotype Team Water

Water-type is the most common type in the game and it shows in its variety of options. Even its counters, Grass and Electric have a bad time with it since Water pokémon frequently have acess to Ice moves and some have the Ground typing negating Electric attacks.
Perhaps the most popular option for Water teams is the Rain team, in which a pokémon with Drizzle takes the lead to set up rain by merely existing, and provides an instantaneous speed boost for its Swift Swim buddies and a certain shot for Thunder users, while reducing the power of Synthesis in Grass teams.
Here I expose my Rain team and wait for constructive criticisms.

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Ability: Drizzle
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Scald

Pelipper is a guerilla fighter. He enters the field, performs an action nad runs away. Frequently that action is only to set up rain with Drizzle. The preferable way to get away is U-turn. To add utility to Pelipper, I select Defog to remove entry hazards (despite Pelipper being somewhat frail to the Secret Silicates) and Scald so it can present some threat. Leftovers and Roost increase its longevity somewhat.

16757285b86fb6efcb3c8de47104f244.png

Kingdra @ Life Orb
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Focus Energy
- Clear Smog
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor

Why have Rain when you can't abuse it? Kingdra is the First abuser of rain in this team. With Swift Swim its ensures a great speed and Life Orb increases its attack. I use a move set I saw once. If Kingdra can, it uses Focus Energy to increase its critical hit ratio and then use Draco Meteor criticals all the way. Hydro Pump is its other stab and Clear Smog is a buff remover that catches the opponent by surprise.

Swampert @ Swampertite
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

One of the weaknesses of Water-type is Electric-type moves and Swampert, being a Ground-type, is a solution. Using Mega-Evolution, it also gains Swift Swim which allows it to abuse Pelipper's Drizzles. Waterfall and Earthquake are its physical stabs. Stone Edge is a counter against Flying-types and Ice Punch is a coverage option.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Hydro Pump

Greninja has acess to Protean and unlike a certain chameleon it has the Special Attack and speed to use use it. Its attacks are chosen for coverage. Hidden Power [Fire] deals with Grass-types, Ice Beam with Dragons and Flying-types, Extrasensory finishes Fighting-types and Poison-types and Hydro Pump takes advantage of the rain. Life Orb is an attack booster.

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Azumarill has three thing to give to this team. The first is its Fairy-typing that prevent Outrage sweeps. THe second is its Aqua Jet move that is a nice priority move. And the third is its acess to Huge Power that boosts its attack and powers up its STABS, Waterfall and Play Rough. Belly Drum and Normalium Z serve to boosts its attack even further when there is opportunity for that.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Baneful Bunker
- Recover
- Haze
- Scald

Toxapex is the physical wall of the team. Baneful Bunker is a great defense and the combination of Black Sludge, Recover and Regenerator allow it to stall very well. Its Poison typing also allows it to stand in front of Grass types without much fear. Haze allows it to remove buffs and Scald is a nice attacking option.

Luthier

Don’t get mad, get even.
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Hello RicardoSilva. I just wanted to make some comments on your team. I understand where you're coming from in terms of your build... however I don't think that you kept that in mind the entire way through. When you're building a Hyper Offense team... and even more specifically, when you're building a rain team that is based on overpowering your opponents by using a turn-limited weather condition, you need to understand that you simple don't have the time to keep pivoting around on random defensive checks.
Issues:
  • My main issue is with toxapex. Since it is a Rain Team I suggest that you don't use pex and try to use a more HO oriented mon.
  • You only have a single rain setter on this team and it doesn't even hold damp rock. So using rain as your wincon is too weak
  • Your kingdra set is kinda weird. Again, as I stated before, you simply don't have the time to be setting up that hard... at least with a mon that is only useful when there is rain up.
  • You team lacks speed control, which is something you should NEVER have on a rain team since your objective is to play brainless HO and overpower your opponent with firepower.
  • Your much to weak to grass types. I understand that you have a type disadvantage, but that doesn't mean you have to lose the game from the preview. A team should be made so it can win any type of game, regardless of how difficult it is.

Possible Fixes:
  1. Just drop the pex. If you want something to stand in the face of grass types, put on regular gyarados. This mon doesn't stand in the face of grass types, but it's capable of pressuring them so you don't autolose. Try this set:
    Gyarados @ Flyinium Z Ability: Moxie
    EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
    Jolly Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Bounce
    - Taunt
    - Dragon Dance
  2. Alright. Now that you have a little more offensive pressure, let's strengthen your wincon. Why only one rain setter? Let's try to do something and make the z-move a little more impactful. Instead of simply setting up rain, lets get a mon that can abuse it the turn OF rather than wasting turns.
    Manaphy @ Waterium ZAbility: Hydration
    Timid Nature
    - Rain Dance
    - Tail Glow
    - Psychic/Ice Beam
    - Scald
  3. Making sure that kingdra is the right set is important. It does't need focus energy or clear smog.. those just seem like useless slots for me when you could using something much more valuable such as grass coverage. Instead of those two moves, add ice beam and surf (accuracy and more reliable than hydro pump)
  4. There are a couple of things that you can do to fix speed control. The first thing is making sure that the swampert is the proper spread. Make this thing jolly max speed so you can revenge mons that are at +1 with the rain up. The next thing you want is to be using a scarf greninja. It can take people by surprise, plus it very solid on rain as you can hit grass types with gunk and ice beam.
    Greninja @ Choice Scarf Ability: Protean
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Naive Nature
    - Dark Pulse
    - Ice Beam
    - Gunk Shot
    - Extrasensory
  5. With all of these fixes, you are not longer that grass weak. However if you wanna get super cheeky and try something out.. maybe sludge wave swampert is something u might wanna look at. Most people don't even know its a set and it can kill bulu with rocks up if its not AV
    Swampert-Mega @ Swampertite Ability: Torrent
    Adamant Nature
    - Waterfall
    - Earthquake
    - Sludge Wave
    - Stealth Rock
Hope this helped! Good luck with you team.

Water-type is the most common type in the game and it shows in its variety of options. Even its counters, Grass and Electric have a bad time with it since Water pokémon frequently have acess to Ice moves and some have the Ground typing negating Electric attacks.
Perhaps the most popular option for Water teams is the Rain team, in which a pokémon with Drizzle takes the lead to set up rain by merely existing, and provides an instantaneous speed boost for its Swift Swim buddies and a certain shot for Thunder users, while reducing the power of Synthesis in Grass teams.
Here I expose my Rain team and wait for constructive criticisms.

Pelipper @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Scald

Pelipper is a guerilla fighter. He enters the field, performs an action nad runs away. Frequently that action is only to set up rain with Drizzle. The preferable way to get away is U-turn. To add utility to Pelipper, I select Defog to remove entry hazards (despite Pelipper being somewhat frail to the Secret Silicates) and Scald so it can present some threat. Leftovers and Roost increase its longevity somewhat.

View attachment 111493
Kingdra @ Life Orb
Modest Nature
- Focus Energy
- Clear Smog
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor

Why have Rain when you can't abuse it? Kingdra is the First abuser of rain in this team. With Swift Swim its ensures a great speed and Life Orb increases its attack. I use a move set I saw once. If Kingdra can, it uses Focus Energy to increase its critical hit ratio and then use Draco Meteor criticals all the way. Hydro Pump is its other stab and Clear Smog is a buff remover that catches the opponent by surprise.

Swampert @ Swampertite
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake
- Waterfall

One of the weaknesses of Water-type is Electric-type moves and Swampert, being a Ground-type, is a solution. Using Mega-Evolution, it also gains Swift Swim which allows it to abuse Pelipper's Drizzles. Waterfall and Earthquake are its physical stabs. Stone Edge is a counter against Flying-types and Ice Punch is a coverage option.

Greninja @ Life Orb
Shiny: Yes
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Ice Beam
- Extrasensory
- Hydro Pump

Greninja has acess to Protean and unlike a certain chameleon it has the Special Attack and speed to use use it. Its attacks are chosen for coverage. Hidden Power [Fire] deals with Grass-types, Ice Beam with Dragons and Flying-types, Extrasensory finishes Fighting-types and Poison-types and Hydro Pump takes advantage of the rain. Life Orb is an attack booster.

Azumarill @ Normalium Z
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 248 HP / 252 Atk / 8 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Belly Drum
- Waterfall
- Play Rough

Azumarill has three thing to give to this team. The first is its Fairy-typing that prevent Outrage sweeps. THe second is its Aqua Jet move that is a nice priority move. And the third is its acess to Huge Power that boosts its attack and powers up its STABS, Waterfall and Play Rough. Belly Drum and Normalium Z serve to boosts its attack even further when there is opportunity for that.

Toxapex @ Black Sludge
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Baneful Bunker
- Recover
- Haze
- Scald

Toxapex is the physical wall of the team. Baneful Bunker is a great defense and the combination of Black Sludge, Recover and Regenerator allow it to stall very well. Its Poison typing also allows it to stand in front of Grass types without much fear. Haze allows it to remove buffs and Scald is a nice attacking option.
Great to see a new player is picking up monotype.
The rain playstyle is designed to overwhelm defensive cores with raw power from kingdra/swampert.
Suggested Changes:
1. Pelipper has a good set, allows you to wall scarf tapu bulu using horn leech (only tapu bulu people run in monotype currently).
2. Kingdra's job is to break walls. The best set for that is specs: Draco is raw power, hydro pump in rain hits every wall hard except for chansey and mantine, ice beam hits grass types + zapdos, hp electric is for mantine.
Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor

3. Greninja's best set in monotype is scarf, gunk shot hits the fairy matchup (tapu's), ice beam is for flying, dark pulse helps in the psychic matchup, uturn for pivot.
Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Dark Pulse

4. Swampert is a must, it provides an electric immunity, a stealth rocker and enough power (and flinch luck) to break a multitude of physical walls with 2hko's in the rain. (Skarmory, Celesteela, Hippowdon, Clefable, Mew). Sludge Wave catches bulu, ensures that it cannot switch in on you as a waterfall + 0- SpA Swampert Sludge Wave vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Tapu Bulu: 224-268 (79.7 - 95.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Grassy Terrain recovery is going to kill it.
Swampert @ Swampertite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Sludge Wave

5. Gyarados is the best z move user on water in the current meta. Supersonic Skystrike gives supreme wall breaking ability. Intimidate allows a dragon dance boost to be gained with the weakened attack stat of the opponent. Waterfall = stab, Taunt gives gyarados the ability to set up on common walls such as skarm, celesteela, mew, jirachi, mantine, also prevents things like hippowdon from whirlwinding you out.
Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Taunt

6. The last pokemon I'd suggest using is Keldeo. It allows water to break the annoying Eviolite core of Chansey + p2. Also gives a check to ferrothorn with a 2hko on specs secret sword. HP Electric hits mantine which is extremely aggravating for SS water to break. Icy wind hits dragon types such as lati@s and gives the speed drop which can be very useful.
Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power Electric
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind

Closing TLDR: Kingdra set, Greninja set, Swampert set, interchange Azumarill with Gyarados, interchange toxapex with Keldeo.
Just to reference the other person who rated your team Luthier , I assume he means well but monotype meta knowledge is lacking. Damp Rock is Banned. Manaphy does not sweep anything that you do not already (hence why it has barely any usage), two z moves is not optimal, Greninja needs U-Turn to be successful and provide a pivot to pelipper/keldeo. Here's the Monotype Index so any of the multitude of resources can be looked at.
I hope you can try out this iteration of rain and it is successful for you.
Importable:
Gyarados @ Flyinium Z
Ability: Intimidate
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Bounce
- Waterfall
- Taunt
Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Icy Wind
Swampert @ Swampertite
Adamant Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Sludge Wave
Greninja @ Choice Scarf
Naive Nature
- U-turn
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Dark Pulse
Kingdra @ Choice Specs
Modest Nature
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Electric]
- Hydro Pump
- Draco Meteor
Pelipper @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Defog
- U-turn
- Scald

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)