Tears of the Shameless

Hello all, I have returned to this metagame after a brief hiatus and this my newest team, containing what I personally have seen handle this metagame well. The team gets it's name from the lyrics from a song off of Dream Theater's latest album. It was playing while I was building this team, so it became the team's name due to lack of a better one.
The team, in essence, is a Sandstorm team, but I tried not to rely on sand as much as the usual sandstorm based team. It came about when I had simply grown tired of Reuniclus, so I decided to base a team off of one of it's best checks, and a less-seen version of a popular Pokemon, Choice Band Tyranitar.
So eventually the team's goal became clear: Stall until the enemy team is weak, by defensively checking as much of the metagame's threats as possible, and then let Latias and Tyranitar loose.

Tears of the Shameless

In Depth

The Defensive Core

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability:Unaware
EV's: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Att
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
-Scald
-Earthquake
-Encore
-Recover

With the team's main goal of weakening the enemy enough for Tyranitar and Latias to finish it off, I knew I needed a strong defensive core, one that would handle the biggest threats in the metagame. I started with Quagsire, one of my favorite Pokemon that has become even more useful due to its newest acquisition, the ability Unaware. With it, it checks most of the powerful physical sweepers in OU like Gyarados, Haxorus, Terrakion, Cobalion, some Infernape, Dragonite, Toxicroak, and Salamence to name a few. With Unaware, it can switch in relatively easy and lock the opponent into a move, causing a switch (more SR damage for them) and allowing me to be able to get the switch advantage into something else. The only huge problem Pokemon for Quagsire regarding physical sweepers is Virizion. This is obviously because of the STAB Leaf Blades that Virizion packs in relation to Quag's 4x Grass Weakness. Other than that, however, it handles most physical sweepers relatively well.
I chose Relaxed because Bold and Impish cause a drop in Attack and Special Attack respectively, which I wanted to avoid because I'm running Scald and Earthquake. This is so I have two STAB moves, Scald with its useful burn secondary effect and Earthquake for sheer power.

Cofagrigus @ Lum Berry
Ability:Mummy
EV's: 252 HP/104 Defense/152 SpDef
Nature: Bold (+Def, -Att)
-Toxic
-Wil-O-Wisp
-Shadow Ball
-Rest

Cofagrigus came to mind when I was building this team because it provided a fighting resistance, which Ferrothorn is weak to, and Quagsire is only neutral to. With it, I am resistant/immune to every possible type (except Ground who I have multiple levitate Pokemon for) within my defensive core
, which is not only wonderful synergy, but it allows me to cause some stress for the opponent when predicting, because their moves are always resisted by one of my 'walls.'
Now why the odd set? It's something I came up with by myself, and while it's not standard or proven wide-spread by any means, it's been working for me. Max Hp is a must, but I noticed that without any investment its defense stat was already enormous. So I tried a few different EV spreads and this one gave me the best results. The Def investment is enough for Cofagrigus to hold off many physical threats, but also SOME special threats too, and weaken them with one of two status moves.
Second question, why double status? Besides me being a big fan of double status Pokemon, I felt it worked well here. I'd rather keep Encore on Quagsire, so Cofagrigus is my token Toxic user as well as having Wil-O-Wisp to shut down physical sweepers. Special sweepers want to switch in expecting WoW? They get poisoned. If Toxic is revealed first, people will assume WoW isn't on the set. This allows me to surprise physical steel types and physical pokemon in general looking to get a jump after assuming WoW is absent.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability : Iron Barbs
EV's: 252 HP/196 Def/60 SpDef
Nature: Sassy (+Sp Def, -Spd)
-Stealth Rock
-Leech Seed
-Gyro Ball
-Power Whip

Ferrothorn is the best special wall in this metagame, and that's why I chose him for this spot. He is can take any special attack except fire, and can shut down any special sweeper without a fire move. Because of the EVs, he can also take resisted physical hits. This is why it is easy to set up stealth rocks, which are crucial for my team, and to cause more switches with Leech Seed. I don't need to go into detail about what Ferro can handle, as its obvious. But all in all, he is the glue of this defensive core, resisting an amazing number of attack types.
But one problem I've noticed, while it isn't a huge problem considering I have Tyranitar one my team, is special fire moves. Quagsire can't take them as well as I'd like him to considering his low Special Defense, and Cofagrigus doesn't either. But like I said, I think this is ok because I have Tyranitar. However, this is one opinion I'd like. Should I change something in this defensive core to compensate for this, or am I generally ok?

The Offensive Core

Rotom-H @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 4 HP/252 SpAtt/252 Spd
Nature: Modest (+SpAtt, -Att)
-Overheat
-Thunderbolt
-Trick
-Volt Switch

I already had Latias and Tyranitar chosen by the time I had decided to put Rotom on this team. I did this because he did many things all at once, he provides a Ground immunity that my defensive core does not have, serves as a scouter and cause of more switches, he gives me a powerful STAB fire move, and he serves as my Choice Scarfer, which is always a good thing to have, and a personal must for most teams I make.
Rotom-H is sometimes a last ditch effort to take out something that has happened to set up, if I don't want to sacrifice/weaken one of my walls just to take it out. Rotom's description is short because his role is simple, cause as much damage as possible, scout, Trick his scarf onto something to cripple it and take an obvious EQ or two when I need him to.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EV's: 4 HP/252 SpAtt/252 Spd
Nature: Timid (+Spe, - Att)
-Draco Meteor
-Surf
-Hidden Power Fire
-Recover

To finish off my offensive core, I needed my last two Pokemon to hit extremely hard. I chose Latias because while it is slightly less powerful than Latias, I wanted to do something different. Nevertheless, it is still extremely powerfu, and with a great movepool and a recovery move, it is invaluable to this team because once it is unleashed, the opponent is usually weak and a prime target for Latias' wrath. Draco is for powerful Stab, Surf is for steels and fire types, the usual. Hidden power fire is for Scizor and Ferrothorn, and Recover is extremely important because Latias is operating in a Sandstorm, and the extra damage would rack up fast if not for it.

Tyranitar @ Choice Band
Ability: Sandstream
EV's: 252 HP/ 36 Att/ 220 SpDef
Nature: Adamant (+Att, -SpAtt)
-Crunch
-Pursuit
-Aqua Tail
-Stone Edge

This is the star of this team, and who it was built around in order for him to help finish off the team in the end. It's EV's are defensive so that he can take those special fire attacks that pain my defensive core, but with Choice Band and an Adamant nature, he's still hitting hard. Crunch and Stone Edge are the main STAB attacks, Aqua Tail is for Heatran, Gliscor, Steels, etc. and pursuit is for trapping those Gengar, Latias, Latios, and most of all Reuniclus, whose mere existence prompted me to use this Pokemon.
Weather wise, I don't rely on sand, but it surely helps wear down the opponent, and two of my stallish pokemon are immune to it. Tyranitar's defensive EV spread here helps in combating the Rain and Sun teams that are all over this metagame, allowing TTar to switch in on Ninetales, Venusaur, Politoed, and the like and stop their weather effects.
But I've been thinking lately...is the Choice Band useless? It helps in some situations, but should I go for a more offensive set? This is something I need feedback on.

Conclusion

Notable Threats: Volcarona - This Pokemon can do a number on my team if I don't get SR up right away. It hits all my defensive pokemon really hard, and if its health isn't halved by SR, Rotom can't revenge kill it.
Hydreigon - Can hit all three of my walls super effectively, but I can take it on with Ttar if worse comes to worse.

What I'd like is just general feedback on this team. Are there any big threats I missed? Are one of my sets inferior to another for this team? Is there any Pokemon I can replace one of the current ones with to make my team operate better? Should I keep TTar banded and defensive?

These are all things I'd like feedback on. But in closing, thank you for taking the time to read my RMT, I really appreciate it.​

The main problem with this team is that you are running three Pokemon with sets that are outclassed by others. As a defensive ghost-type, Cofagrigus is outclassed by Jellicent, who has the advantage of water-typing (which helps alot with the fire weakness you mentioned, especially against Volcarona), Scald, Taunt, Cursed Body, and Recover, which make it an excellent stall-breaker. So I would definitely give that a shot - the standard defensive set should work fine.

As a Choice Scarfer, Rotom-H is horribly, horribly outclassed by Rotom-W. The reasons for this are: the wash form isn't Stealth Rock weak (insanely important, because you're gonna be constantly coming in and out alot with Volt Switch), and it also has consistent secondary STAB. Wash form > heat form.

Your Latias's Life Orb set is run much more effectively by Latios, but I don't really recommend that change because Drought teams are a massive pain in the ass, since they spam strong Chlorophyll sweepers including but not limited to Venusaur and Sawsbuck. By shifting Latias to a Calm Mind + Roar set, you straight up 6-0 most of these teams (and also get a much more solid answer to CM Reuniclus, since CBtar can't OHKO it).

Lastly, I strongly recommend using Spikes on Ferrothorn. Your team is built to abuse hazards really well, with Jellicent spin-blocking, Rotom Volt Switching, and (should you take my advice) Latias Roaring. Since only two of three from SR + Spikes + Leech Seed can be used, drop Leech Seed - SR is still necessary and Ferro is so bulky, it won't have trouble finding time to set up both hazards. LS is more of a convenience than a necessity.

Hope I helped, gl.

The main problem with this team is that you are running three Pokemon with sets that are outclassed by others. As a defensive ghost-type, Cofagrigus is outclassed by Jellicent, who has the advantage of water-typing (which helps alot with the fire weakness you mentioned, especially against Volcarona), Scald, Taunt, Cursed Body, and Recover, which make it an excellent stall-breaker. So I would definitely give that a shot - the standard defensive set should work fine.

As a Choice Scarfer, Rotom-H is horribly, horribly outclassed by Rotom-W. The reasons for this are: the wash form isn't Stealth Rock weak (insanely important, because you're gonna be constantly coming in and out alot with Volt Switch), and it also has consistent secondary STAB. Wash form > heat form.

Your Latias's Life Orb set is run much more effectively by Latios, but I don't really recommend that change because Drought teams are a massive pain in the ass, since they spam strong Chlorophyll sweepers including but not limited to Venusaur and Sawsbuck. By shifting Latias to a Calm Mind + Roar set, you straight up 6-0 most of these teams (and also get a much more solid answer to CM Reuniclus, since CBtar can't OHKO it).

Lastly, I strongly recommend using Spikes on Ferrothorn. Your team is built to abuse hazards really well, with Jellicent spin-blocking, Rotom Volt Switching, and (should you take my advice) Latias Roaring. Since only two of three from SR + Spikes + Leech Seed can be used, drop Leech Seed - SR is still necessary and Ferro is so bulky, it won't have trouble finding time to set up both hazards. LS is more of a convenience than a necessity.

Hope I helped, gl.
Thank you for the rate. I will try these things out. However, adding Jellicent and Rotom-W gives me three water types (including Quagsire). Is this really something that would be ok?

Also, would you mind giving me the EVs and moveset for that CM/Roar latias?

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Hey, this is a nice team. Although I really feel that some of your choices are a bit odd. This team seems to be in the making for a great defensive team, although you could use a step in the right direction. Choice banded Terrakion pummels this team. Even though you have Cofagrigus to switch in and avoid close combat, it won't like taking choice banded stone edges that well at all. Gliscor is a pretty good choice to put in place of Cofagrigus, who is the odd man out on this team. A set with earthquake / toxic / protect / ice fang, impish nature, with a spread of 252 HP / 176 Def / 80 Spe will allow you to switch into choice banded Terrakion's stone edges more than once as well. Not only will you be able to sponge hits from Terrakion, but Gliscor can also help this team out against other fighting types such as Infernape and Conkeldurr.

As you stated, Volcarona is a pretty notable problem to this team. A pretty easy fix to this problem would be to simply run stealth rock Blissey over your Rotom-H. On this team, Rotom-H is pretty useless especially since it will be unable to revenge kill the myriad of threats that Rotom-W can on top of its giant stealth rock weakness. With the addition of blissey onto this team, you can now run spikes on Ferrothorn, making your team a much more potent defensive team especially with choice banded Tyranitar. I'd simply run a set of ice beam / stealth rock / wish / protect with a calm nature and maximum hp and defense on blissey which also allows you to overcome taunt Gliscor, which can be a huge nuisance to this team.

I feel that Quagsire should really be a specially defensive variant with the ev spread of 252 HP / 244 SpDef / 12 Spe and a sassy nature. Thundurus is a pretty big problem to this team as it is. Adding some special defense to Quagsire will give you a good counter to the standard Thundurus sets. Latias would also be much more effective running a calm mind variant with leftovers over your current one. A set with calm mind / dragon pulse / recover / roar or hidden power [fire] to combat common rapid spinners such as Forretress / Excadrill would work perfectly on this team. You should really run an ev spread of 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe too. gl.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)