The 5th Gen Gimmick Team: Assist + Dragon Tail

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anyhow, about the whole Ghost-being immune to non-assistable attacks, what if you had a Scrappy Pokemon as your last-pokemon counter?

Edit: nvm, Destiny Bond still works on Ghosts, right?

"Shut up and read correctly."

See how being told an equivalent of that can imply things? >.>

As for the actual strategy, a Sandstorm team with Rugged Nuttre and Wobbuffet is basically a hard counter, and it's somewhat viable in a "normal" match at the same time (sandstorm being the dominant weather and all).

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Get this discussion back on track please. None of that bullshit in the last part of the last page.

I don't see how you can defeat every of your opponents with just Dragon Tail.

Let's see...

- A pokemon can only be switched out by Dragon Tail when it does not have Suction Cups and have two pokemon or more left in the team.

- Assist and Protect becomes redundant when the user gets hit by Taunt, and Dragon Tail itself has negative priority and your only attacking moves are Dragon Tail, Covet and Focus Punch (and you only have Smeargle having Focus Punch).

- Steel types are very common in the metagame and Steel resists Dragon type attacks, much might potentially stall out Assist's PP especially when you don't have Entry hazards like Spikes to do damage on them.

- Priority like Mach Punch from pokemon like Technician Breloom (many mentioned this on the first page) can potentially K.O. your pokemon fast.

- Dragon Tail has accuracy issues and your pokemon don't run Leftovers, but Wide Lens to cover most of them accuracy issues, and as I've stated above this point, Priority attacks hurt your pokemon, and you can't recover from those hits your pokemon taken.

- I've noticed you run Counter on some pokemon, however you could not get Mirror Coat, meaning you have nothing against Special Attacks.

Overall, this team have many problems and there are still many more minor details about them that I've not stated. Assist also requires luck in order to perform well as you have more pokemon using Protect than Dragon Tail, allowing some free turns for your opponents. I'd have to say that this is not a very viable strategy (if it is a strategy itself).

Persian and Purugly are also good candidates for other assisters. Persian gets technician on the dragon tail, purugly has decent attack, and they're both damn fast. For the weavile set, it would be worth adding Thief for a decently strong STAB attack.

Ambipom gets technician covet, so essentially a 90bp attacking move.
Smeargle or Giratina with destiny bond are probably the best dragon tail users

Another idea would be giving leftovers to reperadusu (on a single cat team for better luck), and setting up hail or sandstorm. Have reperadusu protect every other turn, and not only will the team suffer 32 dragon tails, but they'll also suffer 64 turns of sandstorm damage.

Mew gets both Trick and Dragon Tail, so it would be a good candidate for the dragon tailer. Same goes for smeargle. Trick a scarf onto some hapless pokemon.

Finally, your average erufuun or genie won't invest heavily in speed, and there's no reason not to give reperadusu a 252 speed EVs and a jolly nature, which I think will allow it to outspeed the aformentioned threats (correct me if I'm wrong though). In fact, reperadusu is so fast that the only priority attacks that will be hitting it are Extremespeeds, weavile's ice shard and infernape's mach punch (and the whole nature thing still comes into account)

Has anyone actually tried this in the real game?

I've tried with a Choroneko (non-Mischievous Heart, though that shouldn't make a difference) along with only one other Pokemon (Steelix with only Dragon Tail), and every time I tried to use Assist, it would fail.

I could still Assist Roar with no problem, though.

Goof on PO's part?

Am I the only one finding this funny? I'm actually chuckling as I consider this strategy. Gamefreak be trollin'. Oh Gamefreak, you so crazy.

More like Pokemon Online be trolling. By the way guys, GameFreak makes the game. They set the rules, the strategies, the way people play. If you think you've discovered some novel rigged new strategy, it is because they have allowed you to.
Anyways, it surely is a shame, because Borkano is right. Assist + Dragon Tail does not work in game, and it shows up as a "It has failed." Sigh, PO. Releasing a gen V simulator before you even know everything.

Damn, gamefreak saw it coming.
Could someone test overhead throw? I doubt it would work, but maybe with the whole ghost immunity thing it might. If so the only pokemon who are immune to that are weak to thief (or leperadusu's STAB dark attacks for a single cat team), so it's still viable.
Otherwise, the team could still work if you use espeon to get some rocks onto the other side, then roar them into oblivion.

Azure Demon

Doesn't this require luck seeing as you'll only get dragon tail 1/4 of the time?

Lol never mind now we know it doesnt work.lol
Maybe the huge jump in priority effects it

If you're not running entry hazards, pretty much any steel-type with decent defense can switch in over and over to stall your pp out, although annoying for sure.

Maybe a Suicide entry hazard lead could be used on this set? The damage would build up way faster and if it explodes or something, it won't hold assist back.

Maybe a Suicide entry hazard lead could be used on this set? The damage would build up way faster and if it explodes or something, it won't hold assist back.

Assist can call up moves from dead party members.

Anyway, can some check if you can actually call Dragon Tail up from Assist? And in the meanwhile, check out other non-Assistable new moves, just for reference?

Firestorm

I did my best, I have no regrets!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Has anyone actually tried this in the real game?

I've tried with a Choroneko (non-Mischievous Heart, though that shouldn't make a difference) along with only one other Pokemon (Steelix with only Dragon Tail), and every time I tried to use Assist, it would fail.

I could still Assist Roar with no problem, though.

Goof on PO's part?
Could you report this in the research thread please? Will be very helpful!

Topic closed due to this information. This strategy is not legal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)