The Anime / Manga Thread (MK2) | Beware Spoilers

Status
Not open for further replies.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Yo anyone have any manga or anime thats kinda similar to death note? Death note was one of the first ones i watched and i really want that freling of having my mind blown (first half pls, 2nd half was eh). I want shittons of mind games, a plethora of "oh shit" moments, non bland main characters, etc.

Right now I'm looking at One Outs and maybe Platinum End(?). Heard onr outs is what happens if light goes to play baseball, and platinum end is made by the same people who made dn.

Itd be cool if it was portrayed from the villains view as well, altho its understandable if not. If its just an inferior version of dn i can just rewatch it or something, been a bit since ive seen it anyway

Yo anyone have any manga or anime thats kinda similar to death note? Death note was one of the first ones i watched and i really want that freling of having my mind blown (first half pls, 2nd half was eh). I want shittons of mind games, a plethora of "oh shit" moments, non bland main characters, etc.

Right now I'm looking at One Outs and maybe Platinum End(?). Heard onr outs is what happens if light goes to play baseball, and platinum end is made by the same people who made dn.

Itd be cool if it was portrayed from the villains view as well, altho its understandable if not. If its just an inferior version of dn i can just rewatch it or something, been a bit since ive seen it anyway
Code geass was decent

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.

Fukushima Kyoushitsu - girl who had been bullied for her whole life decides to take revenge on all of her classmates on a murder spree.

Tate no Yuusha no Nariagari - Shield Hero is one of the four heroes summoned to the fantasy world, but things aren't as they seem and Shield Hero becomes blamed for many things. I won't go into depth here, but this is one of my most favorite ongoing manga atm.

Lost+Brain - Imagine everything done by the death note anime but better. And then realize this is basically a huge ripoff as well.

Last edited:

http://myanimelist.net/anime/3002/Gyakkyou_Burai_Kaiji:_Ultimate_Survivor
Creative gambling challenges with really high stakes make for a lot of interesting mind games. Season 2 of this is also worse than Season 1 so it follows the Death Note pattern xd But yeah this is my favorite psychological anime.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Why is molester man so good

For anyone who is interested, it's a manga based off of the story of a user on 2ch (basically 4chan) who got mistaken for a stalker. It's funny and a little awkward (but funny-awkward). Read it!

Anime has become absurdly popular over the years, and it's grown and evolved a lot. I want to take a look back and ask you guys, what was your very first anime? Or, what is the anime you remember the most from your childhood?

For me, my very first anime was the first for probably a lot of people on here, the Pokemon Anime. I watched it up until I was 12, which was about when the B/W anime started. It's what got me into pokemon, and I still have some old VCRs of the first season of the anime. My personal favorite season is Advanced Battle, for really no particular reason. Although, not counting that, the first actual anime I watched... was "A Little Snow Fairy Named Sugar". I was only about 7 at the time, and looking back at it now... it sucks <.<. But I still have plenty of fond memories of me and my bro watching this at our friend's house on weekends.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if absurdly popular is the right way to put it. It is still a passtime actively partaken in by a minority outside of Japan, but I digress.

My first anime was Sen to Chihiro no Kamikakushi (Spirited Away) which I watched when I was around 7. At the time I thought it was just another cartoon 'cause Mum only had the dub, and I didn't like anything about it barring the soundtrack back then. I've since re-watched it (the superior subbed version this time) and enjoyed doing so due to me being more mature and capable of admiring it for what it is (a well-written, beatifilly animated work of art)

RODAN

Banned deucer.
mine was digimon, which still remains one of my favourite shows of all time. i have rewatched the first 3 seasons countless times. 02 sucks though.

my first were a mix of pokemon / digimon / yugioh - standard saturday morning cartoon fare back in elementary school, and occasionally DBZ on Toonami if I could catch it

afterwards I started watching series like bleach and naruto on youtube but ended up switching to primarily manga after subscribing to Shonen Jump, which both my brother and I read

the first show to really spark my interest in anime again was attack on titan, and kill la kill shortly after that.

Acklow

I am always tired. Don't bother me.
My first anime was a Russian dub of the Puss in Boots anime back when I was little. That shit was cool af in Russian, ngl.

My first anime was Dragon Ball at a Turkish Channel at 1994 but I didn't watch it actively until it arrived at Germany in 1998 or something...looking back at it, the first arcs don't hold up as well as I hoped to. But compared to modern Dragon Ball it is godly. But then again, what isn't better than Dragon Ball Super?

The first time when I got more open minded about anime was when somebody forced me to watch Lucky Star. Now I enjoy even slice of life and Azumanga Daioh is so far my favorite from that genre.

i got some mild exposure to the usual pokemon / yu-gi-oh stuff early on, but samurai champloo was probably the first anime i actually ended up following. i was a bit of an insomniac for a stretch, but i didn't want to be bothering other people with that, so i'd usually just wait for everybody to go sleep, sneak downstairs and find ways to burn time. eventually i came across adult swim, and got a ton of exposure to anime from that. was going through a rough patch dealing w/depression and the like (i was the hardest, angiest kid you ever done saw, heh), so the grit and darker themes of that stuff really connected w/me (they were showing stuff like blood+, cowboy bebop replays, bleach, maybe hell girl?, i even got a snippit of paranoia agent that i couldn't for the life of me track down 'til several years later), which i guess was for the best b.c idt i'd have been able to appreciate the cheese of dbz like i can now.

Soul Fly

IMMA TEACH YOU WHAT SPLASHIN' MEANS
is a Contributor Alumnus
Dragon Ball Z. Cartoon Network aired it countless times. Then of course pokemon happened, then digimon, beyblade, and some TCG anime.

My first introduction to the proper stuff happened when I was a bit older and we started getting Animax. I started watching it because my friend told me about this "pokemon-like cartoon (yep) called Inu Yasha" that aired over there. I was at the age where I was outgrowing Bob the Builder and Noddy but not old enough for all the adult-y shows and stuff - this shit was perfect for me.Watched a bunch of stuff, primarily the entirety Captain Tsubasa, NGE, Ghost in The Shell (+Stand Alone Complex), All of Nodame Cantabile, This random anime about malfunctioning self-driving cars that I can't remember, Samurai X (Rurouni Kenshin dub for the uninitiated), Yakitate, Beelzebub, The Prince of Tennis, and the First season of Initial D which I though was FUCKING awesome... among other stuff.

I didn't watch anime for a long time after that phase passed. However I got back into anime because I remember being curious about the ending of a show I had watched but Animax had aired it incomplete (it was this silly anime called the Law Of Ueki if anyone's interested) so I looked it up and found all the episodes on youtube and watched them with great relish, then I googled more of these old shows I remembered from all those years back and found out how to stream and watch them and that's how I got back into anime, and by extension the entire manga/otaku culture.

is pokemon consided as anime though?

otherwise my first anime is the dubbed (french) version of city hunter, and still one of my favourites up to this day (oh nostalgia)

supermarth64

Here I stand in the light of day
is a Contributor Alumnus
Your standard Pokemon/Digimon/Yugioh/DBZ stuff.

In terms of more anime-type, I watched a few more ecchi ones like Rosario + Vampire and Sekirei. Past that it's your typical SAO + AOT.

brightobject

there like moonlight
is a Top Artistis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Your standard Pokemon/Digimon/Yugioh/DBZ stuff.

In terms of more anime-type, I watched a few more ecchi ones like Rosario + Vampire and Sekirei. Past that it's your typical SAO + AOT.
this reminds me, i think to love ru might actually have been my first anime lol. Regardless my first serious watch was klk

Stratos

Banned deucer.
if we disregard pokemon which is more like the world's longest running infomercial than anime, my first anime was kiss x sis, which i watched ironically one night in high school because TOTEM had been talking about it. My first serious watch was Toradora, it was like 3 AM and I planned to watch episode 1 and then finish it later if i liked it, and I ended up marathoning the thing.

vonFiedler

I Like Chopin
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Voltron was the first anime I ever watched. I was a little baby at the time. It took me years to learn what "that animated power rangers" actually was. After that I'd watch the original short run of Dragonball with my mom.

As for being somewhat cognizant, I don't know if I was watching Sailor Moon or Speed Racer first.

Pokemon was huge, obviously. Really shitty show, but I was popular as the autistic kid who could memorize everything about the franchise.

The first time I really understood anime as its own concept was probably Tenchi Muyo. Something seemed just a bit different about it, and then when you looked around this shit was suddenly everywhere.

My first animes were the obvious Pokemon and Digimon, but most of us probably watched it while we were young, so it doesn't matter as much.

The first serious anime I watched was Squid Girl. How I viewed anime at the time was much different than how I do today of course, but it was still a nice way for me to begin getting into anime.

tcr

sage of six tabs
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
i can just tell u will love elfen lied based on a list like that
I just watched the first episode of this

I refuse to believe this is anything but satire. The very first 5 seconds were some guy's head exploding LOL

My first anime was One piece back when it aired on 4kids tv. Still remember that pirate rap. That shit was the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 1)