The Best AI Prediction You Have Seen?

We play Pokemon. Most of us have played at least 5 of the Generations anyway, and out of all of that playing, we have all had some pretty memorable experiences. So, I want to know: What was the most absurdly good AI prediction that ever happened to you?

For instance, when an Excadrill uses Earthquake on Togekiss, even though it has Iron Head, and the Togekiss switches out into Steelix, which gets KO'd.
So let's hear your stories!

Last edited:
Reactions: JES

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Pokémon Platinum Battle Tower:
I had a ~15 HP Froslass and a full health Gyarados against a lone Ambipom. I decided to switch in the Gyarados to abuse Intimidate when this happened:

Frostbite, come back!
Go, Serpentide!

The foe's Ambipom used ThunderPunch!

It's super effective!
Serpentide fainted!

Go, Frostbite!

The foe's Ambipom used Fire Punch!

...yeah, I think you know what happened next. RIP streak

edit: In the example given, Steelix would probably survive said Earthquake unless it was of a significantly lower level. Steelix's base Defense stat is 200.

I'm always a little skeptical about AI predictions since I have a feeling there is some RNG chance of letting it cheat. What do I mean?
Well, I've played against the same teams on my Vs. Recorder many times (when you have an hour long car ride between school and home and you're not the one driving...), I've seen this in action. Most of the time, the AI will just make the move that makes sense against what I have, but not what I switch it (let's say something used Giga Drain against Rotom-W when I switch in Sap Sipper Goodra). But once in a while, it will use a move that isn't good against what I have out, but is perfect for the switch in (instead of Giga Drain, Ice Beam is used). And everything else is the same.

Pokémon Platinum Battle Tower:
I had a ~15 HP Froslass and a full health Gyarados against a lone Ambipom. I decided to switch in the Gyarados to abuse Intimidate when this happened:

Frostbite, come back!
Go, Serpentide!

The foe's Ambipom used ThunderPunch!

It's super effective!
Serpentide fainted!

Go, Frostbite!

The foe's Ambipom used Fire Punch!

...yeah, I think you know what happened next. RIP streak

edit: In the example given, Steelix would probably survive said Earthquake unless it was of a significantly lower level. Steelix's base Defense stat is 200.
Steelix was already pretty hurt.
EDIT: I see now that I wrote OHKO instead of KO. Fixed it, my bad

In my pokemon Y game, I decided to pit my Gourgeist against Siebold's Clawitzer because I was initially using a Goodra and feared a dragon pulse. Well...

"Clawitzer used dark pulse!
It's super effective!
Blair fainted!"

Yeah, not one of my smarter moves.

cityscapes

Take care of yourself.
is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
Ok, this isn't much of a "prediction", but it was still amazing.

I was playing White 2 for the purpose of seeing how well three Pokémon (Maractus, Swablu, and Frillish) did in-game for the BW2 Tier List. Having just arrived in Nimbasa City, I decided to train the Maractus I'd just caught. I fought the two Subway Bosses in a Multi Battle with a Trainer who had a Dewott backing me up.

The opposing Boldore went down easily after a Water Pulse and a Mega Drain, but Gurdurr would prove to be more of a challenge. It took almost half of my Maractus's health by using Wake-Up Slap. I would have to heal the next turn with Mega Drain. Or would I?

The next turn, the allied Dewott used Razor Shell... on my Maractus, healing it because of Water Absorb. How do they even figure that out? Soon afterwards, I easily won the battle.

I'm always a little skeptical about AI predictions since I have a feeling there is some RNG chance of letting it cheat. What do I mean?
Well, I've played against the same teams on my Vs. Recorder many times (when you have an hour long car ride between school and home and you're not the one driving...), I've seen this in action. Most of the time, the AI will just make the move that makes sense against what I have, but not what I switch it (let's say something used Giga Drain against Rotom-W when I switch in Sap Sipper Goodra). But once in a while, it will use a move that isn't good against what I have out, but is perfect for the switch in (instead of Giga Drain, Ice Beam is used). And everything else is the same.
The AI will always choose to use a move if it will result in a KO. If it has multiple moves that would result in a guaranteed KO, it chooses completely at random, regardless of type effectiveness. The only preference it gives when all of it's moves are capable of KOing you, is that it'll choose a priority move if it has one. If it's not able to KO you with anything, it either uses random utility moves like thunder wave/nasty plot/trick room/protect, or if it attacks it will try to do maximum damage with whatever attacks it has available. In the case of Trick room, the AI will pretty reliably choose to always use that, as long as it isn't already set.

If you have a ground rock/type with 1 HP left, and they have a grass move, but they also have a fire move, the AI does not care that the grass move would have been 4x effective, because you're going to die no matter what. So sometimes, completely at random, it'll choose the fire move, and if you switched in a grass type to tank their grass move hit, and get blasted by a fire move, it'll prolly SEEM like the AI predicted your switch, but it didn't.

Last edited:
Have you tried playing the AI in Pokémon Stadium 2? The AI there is very sophisticated, making very good matchup picks and even switching out of unfavorable matchups. Jasmine and the male Rocket Admin in the Gym Leader Castle are the best examples of this in action.

Cynthia switching her Lucario into my Rapidash's Megahorn during Platinum. I opened with that move on the first turn over Flare Blitz since I didn't want to wear down my speedster so quickly in this battle.

Not a prediction, but something I actually thought was really smart of the AI to notice.

Battle Maison Super Multis. Weezing uses Explosion. The other AI's Pokémon is a Gengar.

I don't know if it's just me, but I swear the AI in Gen VII has gotten smarter. I've seen it switch into a resist or immunity to my attack plenty of times, as well as no shortage of kill steals in Battle Royales.

Of course, there was also that one Royale where 2 of the 3 enemies did nothing but spam Earthquake while I had Vikavolt out, while I picked them off with Thunderbolt. I'm pretty sure that in that battle, I wasn't attacked even once.

I've run into multiple situations in the battle tree where the AI will spam a neutral hit move, suddenly switch to a weaker move and everytime stick me with a burn/freeze hax, then switch back to what they were doing. Boy, I sure wish I could make hax predictions that good. -_-

Drifblim predicts me switching out my Mega Kanga into Hydreigon and uses Shadow Ball, dealing chip damage (as opposed to 0 damage), but still, how did it know I would do that? :O

A little thing I thought was neat.
Morimoto in Sun brings out his jolteon on my ash greninja after I ko'd his kangaskhan. He immediatedly double switches to vaporeon, correctly predicting the surf.
Small but it made me smile :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)