The best form of defense is... Attack!

I've heard mixed opinions on my team: some (experienced) people say that I'm good at RU; others (inexperienced) that the best way to counter some of my pokemon is to either use embargo or an offensive ninjask. Anyway, who is right?

Galvantula @ Electric Gem
Trait: Compoundeyes
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Volt Switch

I love galvantula as a sweeper. I've used it OU, to surprising effect, as people simply did not see a galvantula as a threat (this is hardly surprising, as we are in RU). However, in RU it too has been a gamewinner, on some occasions, sweeping to victory with a monstrously strong thunder, and good (but admittedly not perfect) coverage with energy ball and bug buzz. Unfortunately, there are some problems that it encounters- the foremost being Rotom-C (walled by), Cryogonal (walled by) and Magmortar (walled and threatened by). Fortunately, Aerodactyl will deal with the latter 2, (although may have problems with cryogonal) and medicham can ice punch the former.

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 4 Spd / 252 Atk / 252 HP
Jolly Nature
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Circle Throw
- Waterfall

This poliwrath is there with one goal in mind- phase boosters and counter my team's critical weakness to ice-types. Able to knock cryogonal out of the metaphorical ball-park, absorb walrein's attacks (and those of the dreaded crawdaunt, and then hit supereffectively) and recover with rest, there's no denyong tha poliwrath can be a pain to your opponent. His weakness? Just that, actually- lots of weaknesses, to grass, electric, flying and psychic (i consider this a lot). Luckily, 3 of these are resisted just by galvantula, but flying types are also a huge threat to the team.

Sceptile @ Flying Gem
Trait: Unburden
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SDef / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
- Drain Punch
- Acrobatics
- Earthquake
- Giga Drain

One of the true ‘gems’ of the tier, I believe, as a great offensive stats and coverage make for a supreme sweeper- all that stands in its way are anything that can resist its formidable coverage (flying types, nidoqueen) or anything that outspeeds (aerodactyl, accelgor). An unburden boost after a very strong acrobatics means that it outspeeds even more things, and can deal with bug-type threats. Another problem arises when you face a team which can supereffectively threaten it across the board, causing you to choose a better lead (eg, in the battle below, drapion because I reckoned he would send in aerodactyl, then nidoqueen) This leads to you not using Sceptile to the full, and losing its speed boost if it doesn’t get a chance to use acrobatics.
Some agree that this moveset is good because it is balanced and has decent coverage. Others say ‘drain punch? Really?’ or do not see the point of earthquake (will deal with fire and poison though). What I want to know here is, is this a decent moveset? What sceptiles do you use (if any)

Drapion @ Air Balloon
Trait: Battle Armor
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Aqua Tail
This drapion is quite offensive, and there are pros and cons with this. It means I’ll do more damage, but struggle to take it as much as a bulkier ‘mon. (obviously). Anyway, a bigger problem comes in the form of steelix. Honestly, I have yet to see one in battle (I am quite the novice), but looking at this set, aside from earthquake, it’s got this drapion in a metaphorical chokehold- outside of earthquake and aqua tail, it will struggle to do anything. Aqua tail is too low base power, and if the steelix holds and air balloon, I will have to waste a turn hitting it with crunch/aqua tail. This is, of couse, not the only threat; we also have bulky nidoqueen, who can survive and earthquake or aqua tail and then kill drapion with another earthquake.
As part of the team, he is quite useful- should a poison-type attack come in (say on sceptile), just switch to drapion.

Sigilyph (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Air Slash
Sigilyph makes a comeback for me- this time with just one change- stored power, so after sigilyph becomes a defensive bastion, I laugh in their face with stored power. Hopefully. Providing they don't roar/whirlwind.

Sandslash (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- X-Scissor

Lastly, sandslash. Pretty mainstream set, didn't get any use in below battle:

http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ru7801475

An interesting RU hail team- I picked a bad lead, and lost some critical mons, but in the end they were pretty weak, so i won.
Thanks, please rate!

Hey there elitode,

Cool RU team you have here. Some of the sets and items seem out of place. No problem though, we can ways improve our teams.

Galvantula is an awesome Pokemon here in RU. Great to see you using it. Your set is interesting but the standard set is a whole lot better in the long run. Electric Gem would certainly power up a Thunder but its really only one use and you regret not having an item to use.

Galvantula @ Choice Specs
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SpD
Timid Nature
- Thunder
- Bug Buzz
- Giga Drain
- Volt Switch/ Hidden Power Ground

Orginally I was going to give you the LO set, but I think you may benefit from using Choice Specs. Choice Specs will give you enough power to blow through Celfable and Cryogonal some of the Pokemon you mention that wall you. You may want to opt out for LO if you are in dire need of needing to switch moves.

Your Feraligatr set is interesting though I can only imagine how much success you are getting with a mixed DD dance set. I suggest you look into a more orthodox set.

Feraligatr@life Orb
252 Atk/ 252 Spe/ 4 Def
Jolly
-Dragon Dance
-Waterfall
-Ice Punch
- Earthquake

This will give you same (and stronger) coverage as you had with your mix threat, but now you can boost all you move including your STAB. This set will be a whole lot more effective than your Mixed one. You will be able to break through key Pokemon. After a dance you also will be able to OHKO that troublesome Rotom-C with ice punch.

Your team still needs a lot of work. All your other members are similar to the first rates in the regards of not being effective unorthodox sets. I recommend you take a look at the RU analyses for some of your team members. You also might be interested in getting a Slin blocker or spinner. For the the former I recommend testing out Golurk for the former and Sandslash for the latter both in the place of Medicham.

Best of luck and keep on improving your team!

Thanks, battlestar- I honestly had no idea galvantula could learn giga drain, but I'd definitely have taken if if I'd known. Yup, you are right, choice specs can do that, and tbh I hate choice items, offensive boosting altogether and spinning, but you make an excellent point. Cheers for the feraligatr set- I just never seemed to get it right.

Do you/anyone suggest a special/physical sceptile set? I'm quite pleased with the one I have, but I'm open to interpretation. Also, a friend described my drapion as something like a certain acquaintance would make, is it ok?
I contemplated toxic spikes.

well, this may be against the rules, but I've revised my team and here are the changes:

Kabutops @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Swords Dance
- Aqua Jet
- Stone Edge
- Waterfall

This is certainly useful, as (although no superpower :( ) it has great STAB moves (despite that stone edge accuracy), and can achieve a quick revenge kill with aqua jet. I tried swords dance- it is useful, and it outpaces clefable's cosmic power boosting, and we can then hit sigilyph supereffectively with stone edge, so all good.

Drapion @ Air Balloon
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 HP / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Toxic Spikes
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Aqua Tail

Minor changes on a friend's recommendations. Pursuit in case they think they'll get revenge killed (although there are better options, but drapion is quite fast) and toxic spikes for- well that's obvious.

Sigilyph (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Calm Nature
IVs: 30 Atk
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power
- Roost
- Air Slash

Sigilyph makes a comeback for me- this time with just one change- stored power, so after sigilyph becomes a defensive bastion, I laugh in their face with stored power. Hopefully. Providing they don't roar/whirlwind.

Lastly, sandslash. Pretty mainstream set, didn't get any use in below battle:
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/ru7801475

An interesting RU hail team- I picked a bad lead, and lost some critical mons, but in the end they were pretty weak, so i won.

hello
the first thing I suggest you put Gallade instead of Medicham, let's face did not change much, but Gallade is much more 'devastating RU, statistics are better, the moves do not change more' from time xd, also the ability of Gallade you can 'help in switch against some pokemon.

Gallade (M) @ Lum Berry
Trait: Justified
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+ Spd,-SAtk)
Swords Dance / Close Combat / Shadow Sneak / Zen Headbutt

As suggested by battlestar could put a set ddance to feligator sometimes Boost if you can 'be devastating, even on ou use it with aqua jet.
For galvantula I do not like the set eletric gem, you can try a set of specs with said battlestar scarf or even a set that will help in the switch, a kind of mini-rotom xd.
It takes a lot to do damage to the opponent and finish, good Satk and a very good speed that allow him to really be devanstante with a set scarfer in RU, few pokemon able to stop it, more 'is also a great RevEng killer in some occasions.
try it is really nice if you like, nothing to take away from the specs ^ ^

Galvantula (F) @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+ Spd,-Atk)
Volt Switch / Thunderbolt / Bug Buzz / Hidden Power [Ground]

good luck ^ ^

Thanks for the gallade set- i chose medicham first for fake out and hi jump kick, but I see your point.

However, I've never seen galvantula with HP ground, or thunderbolt- what is the point when thunder gets a compoundeyes boost anyway? Also, I take gigs drain so I actually get some recovery, in a sense.

Yeah, I like ddance fera, but prefer kabutops- enough grass resists anyway, so he's well covered.

I think most changes have already been said. I'll say a about Medicham: even having a good typing it lacks defensives stats, so I don't think a non-choice set is viable as long as Gallade is around. If you like Fake Out so bad you could try a Choice Band instead of E-Belt. Otherwise, run Gallade, which have same typing and better defensive status.

Also, please edit the first post every time you update your team, this help others in rating your team.

good luck with it!

Everyone, yes I know Gallade is better, but I did experiment with Medicham, it was successful, but if you insist not, then so be it. It has now been changed to a sandslash, for spinning purposes. (sorry for not editing team) Thanks for your suggestions, I might use them in the future.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)