The big bad ape is coming back

Hello there Smogon peeps. I'm back with another RMT! This time, it's not a sandstorm team, no worries (hence the title xD). This RMT is all about infernape, I build this team around a mix ape. Mix apes can be a HUGE threat to teams after all ape's threats are gone.

Gastrodon @ Leftovers
Trait: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 SpD
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Scald
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Recover

After changing my t-tar's set, Faladran mentioned i had a thundurus weakness so he recommended my a gastrodon. It's a really great pokemon, it walls rotom-w (just have to watch out for trick). It's my check for rain teams because infernape is obviously threatened by rain. Toxic is there to wear down pokes infernape will have an easier time to sweep my opponent.

Infernape (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature (+Spd, -SDef)
- Close Combat
- Mach Punch
- U-turn
- Overheat

The sweeper of the team. I don't see why people don't use inferernape, it's an amazing pokemon. It rips through teams after all the threats are gone. It's one of the best mix sweeper out there, with amazing speed and decent attacking stats. U-turn is there for scouting purposes. Overheat is used for being able to hit physical tanks like gliscor or skarmory. It is also my bait for latios/latias to come in so t-tar can trap them. It's an amazing pokemon due to how many things it can resist.

Tyranitar (M) @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 180 Spa / 76 SpD
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Pursuit
- Ice Beam
- Fire blast
- Crunch

I decided to use chople berry t-tar over scarf t-tar because trick room reuniclus can sweep my whole team after using a trick room. This t-tar still serves the same purpose; to kill gengars, latios, latias, and reuniclus that can harm my team. It also changes up the weather against drizzle teams, so they will have to value there politoads. It can kill ferrothorns and gliscors with the mix set i'm using. It's a great pokemon overall, it has great bulk and high attack stats.

Celebi @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 86 HP / 252 SAtk / 172 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Earth Power
- Hidden Power [Fire]

Looking at my team, i saw that rotom-w probably wasn't going to be enough to handle rain teams. So i decided to add this little guy in. I have a lot of speed invested to be able to out speed max speed timid heatran. It's also my second check to rain teams. It also counters rotom-w since they're so common, and scarf rotom-w is a threat to my team. Celebi is also a great bait for latios and latias to come in, which t-tar will take care of them.

Skamory (F) @ Leftober
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 216 Def / 40 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Brave Bird
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

This spot used to be gliscor's, but i decided to replace it with skamory because it gets to set those hazards up, which infernape will be so happy about,making his sweep much easier. It also covers my "scrafty" weakness since my team gets swept after 1 DD. Skarmory is also an excadrill counter so it's all good! It tanks physical moves for breakfast all day and night with it's beastly 140 base defense stat!

Heatran (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 248 SpD/ 8 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Roar
- Lava Plume
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

This poke is for setting up stealth rocks and wearing down bulky pokes with toxic so it be easier for infernape to sweep. It's a check for ferrothorn just in case my ape is dead or i don't want ape to take any unnecessary damage. Roar is there to get some hazard damage on my opponent's pokes. And it's my reliable check for sun teams since venosaur and lilligent can't touch heatran if one of my pokes are asleep. It can tank bullet punch from scizor all day and scare them off with a fire move.

Hope you didn't get bored to death when reading this thread =/, Thanks for the rate!

@ Latias: what kind of set is that? Just no
@ Ttar: If you're going to use a specailly defencive set, use careful
@ terakion: use Swords Dance over X-Scissor
@ Ape: change its set to the standard set, it's much better this gen

Just looking at your Latias set and that's really not what you run on latias that should really be a latios in that position.

hey godbaka, if you don't want to have terrakion on this team, why keep it? I mean, if you set up SR before volcarona comes in, volcarona will have to switch into your team at the cost of losing 50% health by SR. When that happens, you can use a rock move or a watertype move (or flying, i guess) to take that bug out. Then you don't really need terrakion. You can use any other poke which can use a strong rock, water or flying-type move, for example surf from Latias as Latias outspeeds the Fiery Bug. Like this you have a free teamslot. Also, maybe T-tars sandstream might be annoying, but that's up to you to decide.

I hope i helped a bit

Well, as your main reason for putting him on the team was volcarona, and according to me volcarona is not a problem with SR, you can put any poke who seems to, say, round off the team. Maybe you'd like a good spinner, like starmie or maybe Hitmontop. I don't really know, it's up to you, you have a free teamslot ^^

AB2

is an absolute ape
is a Team Rater Alumnus
Drizzle can be a huge problem for this team. Your water resists are not bulky enough to take hits from the likes of Thundurus or Starmie. Although Rotom-W does check a good amount of rain dance sweepers, I would swap Latias to the bulky calm mind + roar set. If you switch Latias' moves to Calm Mind | Dragon Pulse | Recover | Roar with 252 HP | 4 SpA | 252 Spe then you will be able to tank hits much better than you are right now. Skarmory is kind of annoying to this team because it gets a layer of two on about half of this team. I would switch Superpower on Tyranitar to Fire Blast which would help because it allows you to hit Skarmory and Ferrothorn so they don't get free layers of spikes on you. Tyranitar's nature should also probably be sassy since it would allow you to take draco meteors and fire blasts much easier than if you were adamant. Substitute Disable Gengar can be a threat to this team. Behind a sub, it has the ability to KO a few pokemon quite easily. Swords Dance Excadrill would probably work better over Terrakion as it helps you check Gengar and it still has the ability to do well against Volcarona which is why you used Terrakion in the first place. A set with Swords Dance | Earthquake | Rock Slide | Rapid Spin would be good with an adamant nature and a balloon. X-Scissor is another option if grass types really annoy this team, but that is up to you. Maximizing speed and attack with an Adamant nature is also a primary option for your EV spread.

Finally, I'd probably try using Skarmory over Gliscor as it supports this team much better. Not only does Skarmory check Excadrill and Landorus, but Spikes also help this team a whole lot. Also, without Excadrill you have absolutely no dragon resist, so Skarmory gives you a more solid one. Scarf Rotom-W forces a lot of switches which abuses spikes and can soften up the other team for a late game sweep with Infernape as its counters are removed by Tyranitar and Latias. A set with Spikes | Roost | Brave Bird | Whirlwind would do good with an Impish nature and leftovers or shed shell. As for an EV spread, 252 HP | 216 Def | 40 Spe would be optimal for being faster than other Skarmory and being able to phaze out quicker.

Just some suggestions to consider. Good Luck.

Let me give you some tips son!!

1)Since you are using a Rotom-W lead you can go with a special defensive Heatran to scare off the Ferrothorn and Celebi off to set rocks up. Remember you want rocks up earlest as possible.

2)Tyranitar with rocks is good to take out Latios/Latias but Infernape doesn't enjoy all the extra recoil so I think Scarf Scizor would be nice. You don't even have to go for Puruit they will just stay in most likely and you can kill with U-Turn before they retaliate. Even if they switch you have the advantage.

3)This means your team will be Thundurus weak so don't go for the Trick with Rotom right away like you always do.

4)You can pick a better Latias set than that. Go with a CM set or something so you can still counter Virizion.

5)Take Mach Punch off Infernape because you don't need it if you have Excadrill and Terakion coverage with Gliscor....I think I'm done.

Hey there. Cool team.

On Celebi, run 4 more speed evs, just to get the jump on Adamant / Modest Lucario and destroy it before it gets to attack you with Ice Punch / Crunch / Dark Pulse.

Now, I agree with AB2 on switching Gliscor to Skarmory; as he mentioned, it supports you better in so many ways. Not to mention, Scrafty utterly destroys your entire team after 1 Dragon Dance (other than revenge killing with Tyranitar, who has a chance not to OHKO regardless). Landorous also causes your team major problems, especially the Sub + 3 attack version. Skarmory would help fix all of these issues while setting up Spikes.

Overall, this is a solid team. Good luck.

Hey there. Cool team.

On Celebi, run 4 more speed evs, just to get the jump on Adamant / Modest Lucario and destroy it before it gets to attack you with Ice Punch / Crunch / Dark Pulse.

Now, I agree with AB2 on switching Gliscor to Skarmory; as he mentioned, it supports you better in so many ways. Not to mention, Scrafty utterly destroys your entire team after 1 Dragon Dance (other than revenge killing with Tyranitar, who has a chance not to OHKO regardless). Landorous also causes your team major problems, especially the Sub + 3 attack version. Skarmory would help fix all of these issues while setting up Spikes.

Overall, this is a solid team. Good luck.
Alright, I'll try out skarmory. Thanks for the rate bro!

Hi, sorry I'm late. This team is looking pretty solid after the previous suggestions. I'd definitely consider Shed Shell on Skarmory for the extra insurance against Magnezone + Dragon teams. I also think going for U-turn > HP Ice and Overheat > Fire Blast on Infernape would make the most of its power. You can set up a nice U-turn + Volt Switch combo with Rotom-W to pressure opponents.

There's a pretty notable Reuniclus problem. ScarfTar's Crunch doesn't KO and TR variants are really difficult to handle. One way to help would be to add a Mixed ChopleTar to serve as mid-game switch into a lot of threats.

Tyranitar @ Chople Berry
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 180 SAtk / 76 SDef
Sassy Nature (+SDef, -Spd)
- Crunch
- Fire Blast
- Ice Beam
- Pursuit

This should help for surviving Focus Blast and also make it easier to take out Ferrothorn and Gliscor. It also pretty much guarantees the kill on Latias / Latios, which can really open up some opportunities for Celebi to sweep. Unfortunately, this change will make Thundurus more of an issue. One way to fix this would be to add in Gastrodon over one of your Rain checks - it completes that nice Skarmory / Heatran / Gastrodon core and counters Thundurus well. I'd say to put it over Rotom-W since Celebi's coverage is really useful, but it's up to you.

Very minor nitpick - give Heatran 8 Speed EVs to win the Roar war (unintentional rhyming ftw) against other defensive Heatran. This could be useful in more stall-oriented matches.

OH GOD IT"S THE BIG BAD APE! That being said, this looks like a good team, with most, if not all big threat covered. My kudos to you, and of course, the big bad ape.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)