SM OU The Big Bad Bug

heracross-mega.gif
muk-alola.gif
clefable.gif
zapdos.gif
landorus-therian.gif
ferrothorn.gif

Hey, I'm glad you clicked on my RMT! I hope you will enjoy the team and provide some ideas, as I'm really
stuck on ideas to improve it, but it's definitely a long way from being a good team.
Anyways, I started off this team with Mega Heracross, which is a seriously underrated threat in USM OU.
Mega Heracross can beat up a lot of Balance teams, and although Mega Mawile is better at doing that,
Mega Heracross provides a resistance to Earthquake, giving it an edge on Landorus-T, as well as
being able to break Substitutes with Multi-hit moves along with Skill Link. Heracross-M also has a higher speed,
so it does not need to play mind games with Sucker Punch.

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP/ 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Swords Dance
- Rock Blast
- Substitute

Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 28 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Pursuit
- Poison Jab
- Rock Slide

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Moonblast
- Stealth Rock
- Wish
- Soft-Boiled

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Static
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Volt Switch / U-turn
- Heat Wave
- Roost
- Defog

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 148 Atk / 84 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Fire]

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Leech Seed
- Spikes
- Gyro Ball
- Protect

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS
Heracross-M.png

Heracross-Mega @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie - Allow Heracross to get +1 Attack if it can kill something pre-mega
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe - Standard Offensive EVs
Jolly Nature - Makes sure Heracross speed ties with Bulu, Scizor-M / outspeed 252 Fini, Gyarados, 252+ Magearna, Pelipper, Bisharp
- Close Combat - Strongest STAB Fighting move
- Swords Dance - Boosts Heracross' wallbreaking abilities tremendously
- Rock Blast - Hit Pokemon that resists CC such as Zapdos, Landot, MSab, Clef
- Substitute - Ease predictions and stop Scald burns from Pex or status

I started off with Mega Heracross, obviously.
You might find the set weird: SubSD + Close Combat + Rock Blast.
Substitute helps me greatly with predictions and people trying to go Tapus or Clefs to take Close Combat
and allows me to weaken them, scout a little bit for items and move sets, while also helping me dodge status.
Furthermore, Toxapex is unable to break Heracross' Substitute with a Scald.
Originally I had Pin Missle over SD, but after testing the team, I found that Pin Missle didn't do much work
and without SD Heracross finds it very hard to break through physical walls such as Clef and Landot.
SubSD is very useful in a lot of cases as shown in the replays, as well as being able to break stall after Quagsire/Clef
has been weakened enough.

Muk_(Alola_Form).png
Muk-Alola @ Assault Vest
Ability: Poison Touch - Helps poison targets with Pursuit or Poison Jab
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Atk / 28 Def / 92 SpD / 4 Spe - OHKO Tapu Lele with Poison Jab, outspeed Chansey, avoid 2HKO from CBHoopa-U's Hyperspace Fury.
Adamant Nature - Increase overall damage
- Knock Off - Remove items and potentially poisons them, scouts for Z-crystals
- Pursuit - Traps Ghost and Psychic types, weakens other Pokemon and potentially poisons them
- Poison Jab - Hit Fairy types and has 51% to poison
- Rock Slide - Check Volc and ZardY

Muk-Alola helps Mega Heracross clear the pathway to sweep.
It has a great Special Defense and weaken M-Heracross' checks such as Mew, Clef
and threaten out Fairy types such as Tapus.
I have already 3 checks for M-Scizor, so I took Rock Slide to better check Volc and Zard Y.
It also hits Heatran harder than Knock Off if Heatran has no item/Z-crystal.
Originally I had Weavile for a Pursuit trapper, but then the team was blown away by Tapu Lele, so Muk took the place.

Clefable ().png

Clefable @ Leftovers - Provide passive recovery
Ability: Magic Guard - Prevents status affecting Clefable
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD - Standard Clef set
Bold Nature - Increase Clef's physical bulk
IVs: 0 Atk - Reduce Foul Play damage
- Moonblast - Deal damage to threats such as M-Hera and M-Cham, avoid being passive against Taunt users
- Stealth Rock - Rocks are mandatory for any team
- Wish - Provide recovery for team members
- Soft-Boiled - Reliable recovery method and increase longevity

Clefable is one of the best mons out there, being able to serve as a physical wall and run CM sets.
It improves my matchup against Stall, being one of the few rockers that beat M-Sab, which Muk nor Heracross are able to beat.
Providing Wish recovery for Muk and Heracross gives them a chance to take more hits and sweep once more respectively.
I really like Clefable, it supports the team very well.

Zapdos (1).png

Zapdos @ Rocky Helmet - Makes physical attackers take chip
Ability: Static - 30% chance to paralyse Pokemon making contact with Zapdos
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe - Standard Zapdos set
Bold Nature - Increase Zapdos' physical bulk
IVs: 0 Atk - Reduce Foul Play damage
- Volt Switch / U-turn - Provides momentum for the team, I'm not sure which one's better
- Heat Wave - Hit Kartana, Scizor, Ferrothorn, Tangrowth
- Roost - Reliable recovery method and increase longevity

- Defog - Remove hazards for the team

Zapdos serves as a secondary physical wall. It is a great check to Kartana and Landot.
It can help Clefable check Steel type Pokemon and takes on Flying types, which threaten Mega-Heracross.
A flying typing also helps with Muk's ground type weakness. Zapdos is a pretty good Pokemon in USM OU,
checking a plethora of Pokemon and having Pressure to PP stall or Static to punish physical attackers is great
assisting M-Hera's sweep.
Zapdos replaced Rotom-W on this team. Rotom-W is a great check to rain and a solid mixed wall, unfortunately,
it had no reliable recovery method aside from Iapapa Berry or Leftovers, and just died too quickly.
It also increases the team's weakness to Kartana which is no good as half the team dies to it already.

Landorus_(Therian).png

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf - Scarfer on this team
Ability: Intimidate - Better check physical threats
EVs: 80 HP / 148 Atk / 84 Def / 196 Spe - Standard Scarf set
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake - STAB, what can I say about this?

- U-turn - Provides momentum for the team, forms VoltTurn core with Zapdos
- Knock Off - Removes items from opposing Landots or Tangrowths tryings to switch in
- Hidden Power [Ice] / Hidden Power [Fire] - Hit other Landots and Kartana/Ferrothorn/Scizor respectively

Landorus-T really doesn't need any explanation. It's the most popular and used Pokemon in the OU tier, and has so many viable sets.
I opted for a Scarf set right here for speed control, and fast U-turn to go into Heracross or Muk.
This Choice Scarf set has risen in popularity for about a few months, so needless to say, 196Spe + Scarf to outspeed 252+ base150,
avoid 2HKO from Scarftana's Leaf Blade after SR, and the rest thrown in Attack.

Ferrothorn (1).png

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers - Provide passive recovery

Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 92 Def / 164 SpD - Standard Smogon set

Sassy Nature - Increase damage from Gyro Ball
IVs: 0 Spe - Same as above
- Leech Seed - Annoy threats and provide another method of recovery
- Spikes - Assist in sweeping and limit switching/force hazard removal
- Gyro Ball - Hit Fairy types and avoid being passive to Taunt users
- Protect - Scout weird moves and coverage

Ferrothorn is our last mon, being the Gren/Koko check. It sets up Spikes along SR from Clef to assist a sweep.
The reason I put Protect on this is to scout weird shit running around the tier such as Z-Fight Gren, Z-Fire Chomp,
HP Fire Swampert. 164+ SpD lets Ferro live 2 Dark Pulse from Specs Gren (NOT Ash-Gren) after SR and 1 Spike.
The rest is dumped into Defense to eat up hits from physical attackers better.

Thanks for reading the RMT, please do rate the team if you have any suggestions,
and if the team is just pure bad you can just tell me and how to change it.
Thank you very much! Peace out ~~~

Edit: I forgot to change the Ferrothorn's set from Chople to Lefties
Oops I forgot replays as well, here they are:
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-773394892
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-773409113
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-773423052
https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-773644834

Last edited:
Played it, enjoyed using it, but it started running into serious problems when Heatran showed up. As it is, there doesn't seem to be a way to reliably switch in and threaten Heatran, because if Lando does he gets chunked from anywhere between 40-76%, then Heatran just switches out to something that can shrug off whatever Lando throws at it. And if you switch Muk instead of Lando you're still losing the battle of attrition.

Special attackers, especially ones with fire moves, really seem to give this team a lot of trouble. Other than those two severe weaknesses, it's a pretty solid team. Alolan Muk allowing Hera to dump pin missile for SD leads to some really situations where you sub + SD on a prediction and proceed to sweep.

I tried replacing Clefable with Chansey but then I had trouble with Mega Medicham, and it still didn't really "counter" Heatran. Also, I'm not very good at the game so there's probably better ideas out there lol

Played it, enjoyed using it, but it started running into serious problems when Heatran showed up. As it is, there doesn't seem to be a way to reliably switch in and threaten Heatran, because if Lando does he gets chunked from anywhere between 40-76%, then Heatran just switches out to something that can shrug off whatever Lando throws at it. And if you switch Muk instead of Lando you're still losing the battle of attrition.

Special attackers, especially ones with fire moves, really seem to give this team a lot of trouble. Other than those two severe weaknesses, it's a pretty solid team. Alolan Muk allowing Hera to dump pin missile for SD leads to some really situations where you sub + SD on a prediction and proceed to sweep.

I tried replacing Clefable with Chansey but then I had trouble with Mega Medicham, and it still didn't really "counter" Heatran. Also, I'm not very good at the game so there's probably better ideas out there lol
Maybe Rotom over Zapdos... that was my original plan...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)