SM OU family gathering

family gathering
by Ronneberg
This team is built upon the not so well known Mawile-Hydreigon-Clefable-Heatran-Rotom balance core and started off as an original idea quite a while ago, but I've soon discovered that such cores were already in use to great success, which made me both salty and proud of myself, back to the drawing board it was and this team is the magnificent end result.

The teambuilding process was long and filled to the brim with concept re-thinks. But the finished version is quite simple, the team revolves around Mega Mawile and Hydreigon more or less, Rotom-Wash and Heatran are defensive glue and Landorus-Therian and Clefable act, mostly, as utility support. It's a very reliable team and I've used it to great success on the ladder already, which is why I want to present it to the nice people on the Smogon forums!

the team:

tumblr_mb1dgpivmF1rcwf0xo3_500.gif

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 180 Atk / 132 Def / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Knock Off

- U-turn

Landorus-Therian provides solid speed control, forms an Intimidate core with Mega-Mawile pre mega evolution and acts as standard glue this team won't function smoothly without. It provides crucial utility against balance and stall with Knock Off and can both clean and offensively check non-Scarf offensive threats once they've been weakened a bit. Landorus overall helps early-, mid- and even late-game depending on the matchup.

cd2ccbc2f08d9fe0ab5e0453a00612ae.gif

Mawile-Mega @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Brick Break
- Thunder Punch

- Sucker Punch

Mega-Mawile is equally good against both offense and defense and helps offensively checking a lot of popular defensive cores many teams rely upon in order to defend themselves from even bigger guns in the tier, it performs well alongside Hydreigon, as it can break open holes it loves to capitalizing upon. The reason why I've went with Brick Break over Fire Fang is that Play Rough struggles to net KO's on Mega Tyranitar, which this team is weak to depending on the set and helps tremendously with Heatran, which otherwise forces Mawile out.

giphy-2.gif

Hydreigon @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 28 HP / 252 SpA / 228 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Fire Blast

- Earth Power

Choice Specs Hydreigon really struggles against offense, because it's too slow, but crushes balance and defense with some aid from outside sources, which is why it fits so well on this team. Not much can safely maneuver around it, as it is capable to not only blow back anything with its STAB Draco Meteor, but also smack its possible switch-ins with proper prediction. However, it is very hard to properly utilize it against someone who knows how dangerous it can be, which is why I wouldn't recommend this team to inexperienced players.

giphy-3.gif

Heatran @ Firium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 128 SpD / 128 Spe
Calm Nature
- Taunt
- Magma Storm
- Earth Power

- Stealth Rock

This Heatran set is a hybrid between the specially defensive and the Z-Tran stallbreaker variant. It helps checking this team's threats and keeps many otherwise difficult to approach threats at bar, its lack of recovery gets balanced out by Clefable's Wish.

f2cfd7cbc2a881ffb17f5c9ce2ee54abfb5f801c_hq.gif

Rotom-Wash @ Iapapa Berry
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 200 Def / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Defog
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch

- Will-O-Wisp

Rotom-Wash is this team's Defog user and provides a crucial defensive backbone against rain as well as burn support and a Volt Switch pivoting option for Hydreigon and Mawile. The Iapapa Berry + Wish healing options in conjunction with this Pokemon's bulk make it very hard to wear down, further augmenting its usefulness against practically most matchups.

giphy-4.gif

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Wish

- Protect

Clefable has two roles, break stall and Wish pass. It does both greatly and reliably. Mono Moonblast can suck at times but so is the name of the game and at +6 there are no counters, only checks. This team only really works sustainably with its Wish, so don't let go of the superstar.

Last edited:
Man this team is looking very nice.
The only change I would maybe make is on that Mawile, Brick Break can hit ttar sure, but I would think Play Rough does good damage already (I havent calced anything so i may be wrong) but brick break also is good for annoying shits like cresselia and alolan ninetails and others who set up those bloody screens, so there is reason to keep it. However, you could use Fire Fang instead, so you can get proper big hits on stuff like Scizor ferro and serp, although heatran sort of does this, its always good to make sure.
Solid team!

Man this team is looking very nice.
The only change I would maybe make is on that Mawile, Brick Break can hit ttar sure, but I would think Play Rough does good damage already (I havent calced anything so i may be wrong) but brick break also is good for annoying shits like cresselia and alolan ninetails and others who set up those bloody screens, so there is reason to keep it. However, you could use Fire Fang instead, so you can get proper big hits on stuff like Scizor ferro and serp, although heatran sort of does this, its always good to make sure.
Solid team!
I used Fire Fang before Brick Break, but it doesn't really matter on it, Scizor is brutally roadblocked by Heatran and Rotom and Skarm n such takes more from T-Punch. Play Rough does about 95 to Mega Tar from experience and DD sweeps this team on a bad day
Considering Tran likes to switch into a Play Rough aimed at Tar, Brick Break is overall the safer move.
One argument would be Magearna, but Mawile doesn't do well against it anyway

Last edited:
Yo
I used Fire Fang before Brick Break, but it doesn't really matter on it, Scizor is brutally roadblocked by Heatran and Rotom and Skarm n such takes more from T-Punch. Play Rough does about 95 to Mega Tar from experience and DD sweeps this team on a bad day
ah, thats fair enough then. once again, good team!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)