The Blaze Knight (Blaziken-Based Team)

Origin: http://goo.gl/SuDv7f
Introdruction

Heyho smogon, sup!
Welcome to my new RMT!

The Idea for the Team come into my mind after I read the News about the new "Mega-Blaziken" in Pokemon X and Y. Blaziken is a underrated Pokemon in Uber in my opinion, but with enough support it works great. Because Mega-Blaziken might be banned in future, with Speed Boost and possibly better Attack Stats or something, I want to use it before it will be banned forever.
In RBG, I very often use Torchic as my starter Pokemon, because Blaziken were just so awesome. With the add of speedboost he will never again stand in the shadow of Infernape.
The Name is quite selfexplanatory, the Blaze Knight is just Blaziken.
I hope you guys will enjoy this RMT, so lets start!

Obviously, theres no team based around Blaziken without an Blaziken.
I think, I have not explain why this is in my team?

After that, I add Groudon, because he is one of the perfect partners of Blaziken: He set-uppes Stealth Rock, gives the boost of the sun and is a very good physical wall and Tank.

Next, I decided to use Arceus-Grass in my Team, cause Blaziken have trouble with Kyogre, and Grass Arceus counters Kyogre really good. He is also my special Wall and my paralysis spreader.

Next, Darkrai was added, because he is a great partner of Blaziken.
He counters many of Blazikens big counters, especially Giratina(-O) and Lugia.
Because Ferrothorn and Forretress are all counters enough in this team, I decided to play Darkrai with a Sub-NastyPlot Set (more in the sets below).

Yeah, you might think TENTACRUEL IN A SUN TEAM ARE U DRUNK?
Good question, and I will explain why I play him: He is my necessary spinner, gives me needed resistances and supports my team. But, I'm not sure about this slot, so tips are very welcome here ...

last but not least, I added Zekrom as a mixed attacker with much power.
Zekrom is another Check to Giratina-O, and he provides good coverage and the job from a very good Wallbreaker. But as same as Tentacruel, I'm not sure about this slot, so ideas are very welcome.

Team in Depth

Groudon @ Leftovers
Trait: Drought
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature (+Def; -SAtk)
-Stealth Rock
-Earthquake
-Stone Edge
-Roar

Thats my physical Wall and Stealth Rock set-upper.
With his trait and Rocks, he supports Blaziken really good.
The role from Groudon in this Team is quite simple: My physical Wall and supporter.
With the given EV-Spread, Groudon is very bulky and can take even strong Attacks from a +2 Garchomp or something.
Stealth Rock is quite selfexplanatory, supports Blaziken very good, so the pokemon who switch in get some damage, which is necessary for some 2HKO's.
Earthquake is the strong STAB, which do even with such a defensive spread heavy damage.
Stone Edge is to keep Ho-oh away, which is quite a threat for this team.
Finally, Roar is for boosters and if Ho-oh gets a sub.

Blaziken (M) @ Wide Lens
Trait: Speedboost
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd; -SAtk)
-Swords Dance
-Protect
-Hi Jump Kick
-Flare Blitz

Meet the STAR of the team!
Blaziken is really a underrated pokemon in Uber, but with enough support, he can destroy everything!
First of all, the item might be curious, but it does his job.
I hate the accuraty of Hi Jump Kick, therefore I play wide Lens, to push the accuracy on 99% (but miss against a noob, omg -_-)
The EV-Split is standard, I play 4 Def EV to take prio-Moves better.
The Nature is little bit special, without Life-Orb and/or an adamant nature Blaziken have less power, but I think the jolly nature is quite necessary to outspeed things like Mewtwo on +1.
I think, the moves are quite standard. Swords Dance pumps Blazikens attack to a horrible high level, and protect gurantees me that I become at least one speed boost.
The other moves are the two STABs, which have nearly unbeaten coverage.
As I said, the accuracy of High Jump Kick is horrible (because of the recoil damage of course...), and the recoil damage from Flare Blitz is not very good to, but I think with Life-Orb and the risk of High Jump Kick he goes to fast down.
This thing is unreplaceble, I think it's selfexplanatory why.

Arceus (Arceus-Grass) @ Leftovers
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 HP / 144 SDef / 112 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd; -Atk)
-Recover
-Grass Knot
-Ice Beam
-Thunder Wave

As I said before, every team with sun (or based around Blaziken) need an Kyogre Counter.
With Grass-Arceus, I have a wonderful check against Ogre, cause the only thing which hit me hard is Ice Beam, and with the incredible bulk it can take Ice Beam hits easily.
The Spread is from smogon, but he does the job very well. The 252 HP EVs gives him a good bulk, pared with 144 SDef he tanks special hits good.
The 112 Spd are for outspeeding Garchomp and other Base 100s.
Recover is for recover the damage take from special attacks.
Grass Knot has a 44% to OHKO scarf Kyogre after Rocks, with a little bit more damage its a clean OHKO.
Ice Beam is used to hit dragons, and thunder wave spreads paralysis for me.

Darkrai @ Leftovers
Trait: Nightmare
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid nature (+Spd; -Atk)
-Subsitute
-Nasty Plot
-Dark Void
-Dark Pulse

Next: Darkrai.
Darkrai is mainly to counter stuff like Giratina, Ghost-Arceus, Psycho Arceus, Cresselia, Lugia and other stuff.
There all threats for my team and for Blaziken, but Darkrai beats them all.
Because I do not need coverage on my Darkrai (He is mainly and just for the pokemon above!), I played the quite effective Subsitute-Nasty Plot Set.
With this set, I have the choice to set-up or get an sub (or even both of them if I'm lucky), so I can control the next moves from my enemy.
I will not explain the EV-Split, cause they're standard.

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Trait: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP / 32 Def / 224 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef; -Atk)
-Toxic
-Scald
-Rapid Spin
-Protect

Honestly, Tentacruel is one of my favorite Pokemon.
In DPP, he was just BL and then OU, but in BW, (and thanks to the dream-world-ability release) he is now OU, and one of the best spinners ever.
Even in Uber, he works very good and does his job, support and spin, very very good.
But, I am honestly not sure about this slot - Tentacruel is another check to rain-teams, thanks to rain dish he is very bulky in the rain and stalls good to (with toxic and protect).
But in the sun? I don't know ...
Spread is standard, and toxic is used to poison things like latias who switch in.
Let me know what you're think about this. :)

Zekrom @ Life Orb
Trait: Teravolt
EVs: 104 HP / 148 Atk / 252 SAtk / 4 Spd
Naughty nature (+Atk; -SDef)
-Bolt Strike
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon Claw
-Voltswitch / Hidden Power Fire

So, the last pokemon.
I'm not very sure, but its very good.
With Teravolt and a powerful Bolt Strike, he counters Lugia good, and he is also an very formidable mixed attacker, with nearly perfect neutral coverage.
Bolt Strike and Draco Meteor are standard, both do heavy damage to every pokemon which not resist these attacks.
Dragon Claw is to hit Giratina, and Volt Switch give me momentum.
Possibly I can play Hidden Power Fire, so I can hit Ferrothorn and Forretress on the Switch-in.

Outro

So, that was my RMT.
I hope you like it, and I will be very happy if you rate it and give constructive critic!

Dark Giratina

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
1. Megablaziken isn't broken (based on demo footage) and unless it gets attack that makes it stronger than LO blaze, I can't see it as being too good since it'll still be frail as fuck and speed is a non factor since blaze should never be getting revenge killed by non priority anyways.

Secondly I'm on my phone but at a glance I can say a few things.

One, get rid of the shit that is wide lens blaziken. Seriously, there is such a noticeable drop in power from running both wide lens and a jolly nature that it becomes nowhere near worth it. Instead use an adamant nature with LO and low kick over HJK since 120 base power and perfect accuracy and a non devastating side effect is better than HJK by far.

Secondly, arceus grass + leftovers? what the fuck is this. Grasseus is holding a meadow plate. Also as far as countering goes,
252+ SpA Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 144 SpD Arceus-Grass: 192-228 (43.24 - 51.35%) -- 98.83% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
hardly what I call a "counter" and in addition all grasseus can really do is weaken it and/or para it and then it dies afterwards. Instead I'd opt to use a more offensive check like the lati twins or palkia to act as a kyogre check/counter.

Thirdly explain random ev spread on zekrom please. I really don't see the point of the hp ev's and minimally invested speed. Not to mention it's running far too much SpA evs for draco meteor.

Instead of wasting Wide Lens on Blaziken, why not run Low Kick over Hi Jump Kick? It hits almost everything in Ubers for 120 damage anyway, and that way you can still run Life Orb, which Blaziken definitely wants to increase its power. You also get a get out of jail free card if you spam your kicking move against Ghost Arceus.

I'm assuming Leftovers on Grassceus is a typo, no worries there. Maybe run Judgment over Grass Knot so you have a TG Manaphy check, which you are currently weak to. Keep HP Fire on Zekrom, which makes it a terrific wallbreaker and weapon vs. stall, but speed creep it more (up to at least 52 or so, to ensure you outrun most Ho-Oh). Speed creep Groudon as well, you do not want tank Ho-Oh burning you before you hit them with Stone Edge, or they can roost stall you. Groudon doesn't have to be crept as much as Zekrom though.

Nothing wrong with using Tentacruel in the sun, and though Toxic Spikes supports the team, I can see why you'd want to use Toxic to get by Giratina-O and Ghostceus. Again, give 8 or so speed EV's for Tentacruel, I promise it will pay off.

Overall solid team, though you are a little weak to opposing sun, Ho-Oh in particular. Good luck!

lol @ Haruno, a litte bit friendlier to write is so difficult?

Yes, Leftovers on Grass Ceus was just a typo, sorry for that, I will delete this mistake as soon as I can.
Low Kick sounds really good, I will try it, and I will try TSpikes on Tentacruel too.
Thanks for the reply guys!

I Cant Wait For Mega Blaziken. So I Tried This Team Except Lati Instead of grassus and lowkick life Orb instead of wide lens hi jump kick and This Is Great Team.I Swept A Whole Team With Just The Blaziken.I Agree Blaziken Is Very Underrated In Ubers And I Did Not Think Sub Nasty Darkrai Is That Good

Wow, nice team you have here.

I notice a big weakness to ground, as you have 3 pokemons who are ground-weak. Arceus-Grass does counter most ground-types well, but it's just something you should bear in mind.
As stated previously, use life orb on Blaziken, as he's weak without it.
Also, Dragons that spam Outrage or Draco Meteor are huge threats for your team, because they can really weaken your pokemons.

Tentacruel just complements your weakness to ground. If you want a toxic stalled, maybe go with gilscor or lugia? Also, although blaziken is fast, you might want to replace tentacruel with a scarfer. You might want a revenge killer in place of tentacruel .Palkia is a great revenge killer, although terrakion can take on the e-killer for you.

Last edited:
thanks guys!
I just think to use a spinner, but if you think this is not necessary, I'll trust you guys.
So what I should play in place of cruel??

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
No, you definitely want to keep 'Cruel, as every other Pokemon on your team is really susceptible to toxic spikes (Groudon has no recovery, Zekrom hates additional damage+Life Orb Recoil, Grassceus becomes trivially easy to stall out, and Blaziken wants to stay around long, but it's really vulnerable to getting stalled out and dying from Toxic before it sweeps someone else's team.

Zekrom in sun is a really cool an interesting idea, I'll have to try it out sometime. However, Scarfkia is a great Pokemon (you really need the revenge killer, and Scarfrai sadly doesn't work with your team) for providing a backup answer to Kyogre, and it also makes your ground weakness manageable.

I don't see the purpose of Thunder Wave on Grassceus.... the only thing on your team that benefits from Paralysis Support is Zekrom, and I just told you to get rid of that lol. I'd swap out Ice Beam for Stone Edge so you have an effective surprise/solid answer for Ho-oh (as without Zekrom it can 6-0) and you could maybe try Perish Song on Grassceus. It's a weird move but it has all sorts of convenient uses (f*** smashpass..!)

Toxic spikes on tentacruel could work>toxic as grassceus/groudon love toxic spikes...

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
Teams that are not particularly resilient to entry hazards (resilient meaning having multiple Pokemon with levitate and nothing weak to Stealth Rock) benefit significantly from some form of hazard control, so a spinner is definitely worth using if you can at all fit it onto the team. You could try using Cloyster instead of Tentacruel - the set is outlined here. It has the advantage of being a better spinner since it can threaten spinblockers more and has a lot of general utility as it has offensive presence, can set up and has the nifty Icicle Spear which breaks Focus Sashes, Multiscale, Substitutes, etc. It can also lay Spikes, which may benefit your team more than Toxic Spikes do. However, it is quite frail and has no recovery, so it only works well if you play aggressively. Tentacruel's longevity is a major advantage, so I recommend trying each and seeing which works better.

If you do keep Tentacruel, consider Ice Beam over Scald, as Scald is very weak in sun. Toxic Spikes are also nice, but may be disappointing as you have no spinblocker to keep them on the field. Again, try them and see what you prefer.

I also agree with Sweep that some signifcant speed investment in Groudon and Zekrom would be more valuable than additional investment in bulk.

Now, looking at the team as a whole, Darkrai and Zekrom are somewhat redundant alongside each other, and as others have pointed out, you lack a Scarf Pokemon, which is a very valuable addition to almost any team. Both Darkrai and Zekrom can wreck the walls which generally prevent Blaziken's sweep, which is their most important role on this team, and as Zekrom compounds the team's Ground weakness, I recommend replacing it with a Scarf Pokemon. Your best options are Genesect or Palkia. Genesect is almost always an excellent option, as U-Turn is something every Scarf Pokemon wishes it had and it checks the top threats that a Scarf Pokemon should check. With Genesect you also don't need to run a subpar nature on Blaziken to handle Mewtwo. Palkia on the other hand checks Kyogre, which would allow you to replace Arceus-Grass with a different forme, for which there are many great options (let me know if you want recommendations).

I also support replacing Ice Beam with Stone Edge on Arceus-Grass if you keep it, as either Scarf Pokemon will give you a good option for handling Rayquaza and Ho-Oh is a major threat. Thunder Wave is handy though, I do think it is more generally useful than any other option Arceus has, really.

P.S: Ignore Haruno. His posts are dumb more often than not and his ego is disproportionate to his ability.

Last edited:
Also as far as countering goes, 252+ SpA Kyogre Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 144 SpD Arceus-Grass: 192-228 (43.24 - 51.35%) -- 98.83% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
hardly what I call a "counter" and in addition all grasseus can really do is weaken it and/or para it and then it dies afterwards. Instead I'd opt to use a more offensive check like the lati twins or palkia to act as a kyogre check/counter.
It's not a counter, it's something to take Water Spouts, Thunders and CM boosted Scalds. Latias takes about the same amount from Ice Beam, and Latios takes more. If Kyogre decides to lock itself into Ice Beam, great. Free Toxic/Spin for Tentacruel or set-up for Blaziken

P.S: Ignore Haruno. His posts are dumb more often than not and his ego is disproportionate to his ability.
Lol. On a more serious note, I actually disagree with Blue Jay's idea to add a Genesect for one reason -- Ho-oh. You are already pretty Ho-oh weak and adding Genesect will not make this any better, and neither will Scarf Palkia, really. I'd like to see a Scarf Darkrai with Void/Trick/Focus Blast/Dark Pulse. Scarf Zekrom with Volt Switch/Bolt Strike/Outrage/Draco Meteor or HP Fire or Dragon Claw or Sleep Talk could work well as well. Good luck with the team

EDIT: Blue Jay pointed out that adding Scarf Palkia would allow you to use another Arceus forme such as Water instead of Grass in order to deal with Ho-oh better

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that although he's a bit Ho-Oh weak, since it's a team based around sun, there arent too much viable option to beat it. He already has Stone Edge Groudon (far from reliable, I know), and Zekrom who counters Ho-Oh well even when burned. Adding ScarfGenesect or ScarfPalkia will make Ho-Oh even harder to deal with, as Superstar pointed out.
Giving Arceus-Grass Stone Edge may seem a good idea, but it doesn't OHKO (0- Atk Arceus-Grass Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 332-392 (80 - 94.45%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), so you'll need to work with Arceus's nature/Evs. Also, considering Arceus's utility and his ability to hold the team against a lot of threats, I won't try to rely on Stone edge to take it down.
You can always try another Zekrom set, because the main use of Draco Meteor on it is to lure Groudon, but Blaziken OHKO at +2, while Arceus-Grass checks him. You don't seem to have much trouble against Ferrothorn either.

Last thing that I want to know, how do you beat Darkrai currently? You basically fight 5v6 if he puts you asleep before you do the same with your own Darkrai.

PS: I support Blue Jay's idea in giving Tentacruel Ice Beam > Scald, it will catch some Rayquazas off guard thinking they can set up on you.

Blue Jay

The notorious Good Wife
is a Contributor Alumnus
I just wanted to say that although he's a bit Ho-Oh weak, since it's a team based around sun, there arent too much viable option to beat it. He already has Stone Edge Groudon (far from reliable, I know), and Zekrom who counters Ho-Oh well even when burned. Adding ScarfGenesect or ScarfPalkia will make Ho-Oh even harder to deal with, as Superstar pointed out.
Giving Arceus-Grass Stone Edge may seem a good idea, but it doesn't OHKO (0- Atk Arceus-Grass Stone Edge vs. 248 HP / 0 Def Ho-Oh: 332-392 (80 - 94.45%) -- guaranteed 2HKO), so you'll need to work with Arceus's nature/Evs. Also, considering Arceus's utility and his ability to hold the team against a lot of threats, I won't try to rely on Stone edge to take it down.
You can always try another Zekrom set, because the main use of Draco Meteor on it is to lure Groudon, but Blaziken OHKO at +2, while Arceus-Grass checks him. You don't seem to have much trouble against Ferrothorn either.

Last thing that I want to know, how do you beat Darkrai currently? You basically fight 5v6 if he puts you asleep before you do the same with your own Darkrai.

PS: I support Blue Jay's idea in giving Tentacruel Ice Beam > Scald, it will catch some Rayquazas off guard thinking they can set up on you.
Arceus-Grass is mainly there to handle Kyogre and rain offense in general. Ho-Oh rarely overlaps with rain offense, so if a team has Ho-Oh, Arceus-Grass will probably not be doing much beyond spreading paralysis and kind of checking Groudon (Fire Punch really hurts); it may as well lure and maul Ho-Oh (unless the opponent manages to keep SR off the field AND keep Ho-Oh in good condition it is unlikely to survive). The alternative is that Arceus-Grass has Ice Beam, which can be nice but isn't great, and gives Ho-Oh a free attack on something (it may be paralyzed in the process, but then you either sack Arceus-Grass or something else gets mauled). Not to mention that if you predict a Ho-Oh switch in, you get 2 chances to Stone Edge it, since you outspeed it.

Superstar also conceded my point that using Scarf Palkia enables the use of another Arceus forme, such as Arceus-Water, giving an actual switch in to Ho-Oh rather than having to rely on sacking something and then revenge killing it, while also being able to sponge Water Spouts, handling Palkia in the sun, checking Rayquaza, walling most swift swim sweepers, etc.

Without a Scarfmon, especially with no priority anywhere, literally every Pokemon on the team needs to be able to prevent DD Rayquaza's set up, or it sweeps, and things like Mewtwo become much harder to deal with. Deoxys-A blows immense holes and nothing (including +1 Jolly Blaziken) is fast enough to do anything about it. Blaziken simply cannot be the only way to revenge kill fast threats. Scarf Zekrom can check quite a few things well enough, revenge kill Ho-Oh and absorb sleep, but a triple Ground weakness really hurts when Fire Punch in sun kills Arceus-Grass after a little prior damage. Zekrom's Bolt Strike is also barely more reliable than Stone Edge.

ok, i will try stone edge out on grassceus and ice beam on cruel, thanks.
I think shell smash is not a big threat, because if I see a farbeagle in the teampreview i lead with darkrai and get a sub, so spore is not a problem. then i set upp one nasty plot and set one thing to sleep, usually farbeagle gets an smash and pass it, in this round the pokemon who switch in will be voided and I can kill it.

Yeah, the ground weakness is really bad, and the Ho-oh weakness is really big, but I think if I predice enough bolt Strike and stone edge from groudon works well...
so, should I change zekrom to a scarf, or should i replace it with palkia or something?
thx guys

Haruno

Skadi :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
So guys is anyone going to address the ray/mewtwo/ho oh problem with a actual way to fix it? Also gene could be a problem to since it gains far too much momentum against OP's team. In order to "check" ho oh, you need rocks up and since ho oh is often associated with a spinner that means you'll need a spinblocker to stop said spinning attempts since ho oh is far too big a pain in the ass without sr up since the only two things that can kill it (groudon/zekrom) fear a burn so they can't exactly switch in. Also to check ray/mewtwo you need a scarfer which pretty much means gene since gene can outspeed ray at +1 and mewtwo hates taking a uturn. As for what to replace with said spinblocker/gene, I have no idea since I'd have to reorganize the team completely in order to fit them on with decent synergy. Good luck though.

steelskitty

you deserve so much more than this
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
So guys is anyone going to address the ray/mewtwo/ho oh problem with a actual way to fix it? Also gene could be a problem to since it gains far too much momentum against OP's team. In order to "check" ho oh, you need rocks up and since ho oh is often associated with a spinner that means you'll need a spinblocker to stop said spinning attempts since ho oh is far too big a pain in the ass without sr up since the only two things that can kill it (groudon/zekrom) fear a burn so they can't exactly switch in. Also to check ray/mewtwo you need a scarfer which pretty much means gene since gene can outspeed ray at +1 and mewtwo hates taking a uturn. As for what to replace with said spinblocker/gene, I have no idea since I'd have to reorganize the team completely in order to fit them on with decent synergy. Good luck though.
Scarfrai with Spacial Rend is niche, but it could work. Also you don't necessarily have to run a -Atk Nature on Grassceus, the idea is that Ho-oh switches in on Grass Knot and then can't live the incoming Stone Edge. Sadly -Sdef has the drawback of not sponging hits quite as well and -Def means Genesect hurts you a bit more (that's irrelevant, though, as if you're healthy you can live the U-turn and recover off most of the damage).

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)