The Buck with No Bang

upload_2013-10-4_17-32-11.png

Hi, I first stumbled across Smogon around March this year; after a quick browse I was ready to hit Pokémon Showdown. Armed with terribly build teams and no prediction skills I found myself getting destroyed no matter what tier I played, although NU was the tier in which I lost the least and thus became my favourite. Months later I feel as though I have Finally build a team that can take on a range of top tier threats and come out on top.

upload_2013-10-4_18-7-18.png

Musharna @ Leftovers
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Def / 16 SpD
Bold Nature
  • Psychic
  • Baton pass
  • Heal bell
  • Moonlight
I find it hard building teams without Musharna, It's so damn good currently. Every team needs a check to the powerful fighting types in NU, Musharna beats them all. Psychic and moonlight are mandatory, I chose baton pass to gain momentum and heal bell because cleric support is awesome to have and the teams needs it more than thunder wave. Musharna is part one of the defensive core formed with Probopass, it easily tanks fighting and ground attacks that would otherwise rip him apart.

Probopass @ Leftovers
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 236 HP / 56 SAtk / 216 SpD
Calm Nature
  • Power Gem
  • Volt Switch
  • Toxic
  • Stealth Rocks
Probo is one of my favourite special walls, it's typing grants it a bunch of great resistances letting it easily take on most attackers that don't carry ground or fighting moves. He offers great utility, providing stealth rocks, toxic support as well as a slow volt switch to keep momentum on my side, something that most walls can not achieve. Probopass completes the small but effective core, taking on dark and ghost types for Musharna. His most notable resistance this that to flying, he stops birds rampaging through the team.

Sawk @ Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker
EVs: 252 Atk / 4SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
  • Close Combat
  • Stone Edge
  • Earthquake
  • Ice Punch
CB Sawk is one of the best wall breakers in NU, with fighting being a terrific offensive typing. Very few that don't resist close combat avoid the two hit KO. He is also great at keeping hazards of the field, which is fantastic considering how bad the spinners in the tier are. Sawk can beat rock types for Charizard and steels for Serperior and Scolipede, while also annihilating special walls such as Lickilicky and Regice, opening up a sweep for other team members.

Serperior @ Life Orb
Ability: Overgrow
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
  • Giga Drain
  • Hidden Power [Rock]
  • Calm Mind
  • Substitute / Taunt
Serperior can easily set up on walls that that rest of the team struggles with. After a few calm minds and a possible substitute intact, Serperior can often plough though teams thanks to it's great speed. I found myself alternating between substitute and taunt, they both have their own merits, when I went with one I always needed the other. Seperior greatly assists sawk in keeping hazards away,as it can get through Seismitoad and Golurk. It also removes rock types and sets up on bulky waters that give Charizard trouble.

Charizard: @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
  • Fire Blast
  • Air Slash
  • Hidden Power [Grass]
  • Flamethrower
I often like my scarfers to have over base 95 speed. Zard also has great power and a good enough move pool to be an effective revenge killer. I found that focus blast was not really necessary because the other team members can deal with bulky rock and normal types. The weakness to stealth rock is a bit of a downer, but other teams members can keep them form being put up. Charizard can bust though the bug and grass/poison types that Serperior struggles with.

Scolipede @ Lum Berry
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
  • Megahorn
  • Aqau Tail
  • Swords Dance
  • Substitute
Because Scolipede is so well know for his rapid spiking capabilities, players forget about the swords dance set. I tried the Salac berry at first but found that Lum berry was generally more useful, the ability to brush of scald burns and thunder waves while you're swords dancing and then sub as they try to status you again is brilliant. Pede provides arguably the best form of support to the team: absorbing toxic spikes, which would other wise wreck most of the team.

Some notable threats:
  • Carracosta: Can easily roll over the team if it has a jolly nature, however most members can get of a hefty hit before it sets up. I have to be careful locking Sawk into ice punch and Charizard into fire blast.
  • Swellow: Birds in general, if Probo gets taken down early they can do a number on me.
  • Musharna: Should it get up calm minds before Serperior can taunt it. I originally had Skuntank over Pede but found he lost to much momentum and did not hit hard enough.

I had a go at laddering and managed to get the number two spot
upload_2013-10-4_19-5-23.png

Overall the team has a nice feel to it but defiantly has it's flaws, I am open to any suggestions that may improve it. Thanks!

Attachments

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey Bazion ,

I just want to point out your team shouldn't have too much trouble with Musharna if you play your cards right. Probopass can Toxic stall Mush pretty easily and stall out Heal Bell's PP, while Scolipede can come in with a little prior damage and go for the Megahorn KO. Plus, like you said, Serperior can Taunt it before it sets up too many CMs and set up itself.

Anyway, nice team. Though I would definitely give Spikes a try over Substitute on your Scolipede, since Substitute isn't really needed if you're holding a Lum Berry. Your Mushy has Heal Bell anyway, so you should be (mostly) fine against status. I'd also personally recommend using a Life Orb over Lum for the same reason, but that's just me.

Also, I think you should consider offensive Seismitoad over Sawk. Seismitoad can serve as a much-needed check to Shell Smash Carracosta, and its typing allows you to check many things Sawk did previously, such as Rock- and Steel-types. Seismitoad can also help to prevent SR, albeit less reliably, with its STAB Hydro Pump and Earth Power.

Good luck.

Scolipede: Substitute --> Spikes, Lum Berry --> Life Orb

Seismitoad @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 232 HP / 252 SAtk / 24 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Earth Power
- Toxic
- Grass Knot

Thanks for the suggestions.
Spikes are really nice on Scolipede, substitute was a bit excessive with lum berry.
Seismitoad fits really well with the team, it added some great resistances and bulk. I ran taunt on Serperior to prevent sturdy stealth rockers setting up. Although I felt when I replaced Sawk that the team had too many special attackers and thus had problems with special walls.
Thanks again for the input!

Since you have Lum berry on Scolipede why not forgo Substitute and put Toxic Spikes? Carracosta and Musharna hate Toxic Spikes and the latter can't Heal bell/Moonlight is strong offensive pressure is present.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)