The Butterfly Effect (Peaked on ladder)

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor

Butterfly Effect
: The phenomenon whereby a minute localized change in a complex system can have large effects elsewhere.

Hello again, this is Rattled Snakes with my second ever RU RMT which is a Hyper Offense team featuring the based lord Vivillion (its broken I swear). I built this team because I wanted to highlight one of the most beautiful things about playing offense, the fact that you need to think long term as well as the fact that one mistake (or one good play) can be amplified because of the inherent short nature of the game. One small mis manuever can seal your fate so it is imperative that you play sharp and attack always and often. It makes the game loads of fun.
Now to the team itself, it focuses on overloading something that most people rely on way too much and can be punished as a result: Mega Steelix. I get my rocks up early with Archeops and the depending on the situation I either early game get Vivillion into attack mode with the hopes of breaking through enough so that scarf Tyrant can just win, or I try and preserve Viv for late game if I feel I can keep rocks off and Sweep later game.
I used this team to get reqs and win roomtours (irrelevant i know ._.)and am overall pleased with the result of the team. No screenshot so everyone just has to believe me
Teambuilding Process:

Started off with the core, Viv pounds steel types early game which opens holes for Tyrantrum

Added Archeops,arguably the best Suicide lead in the tier which can also can cause massive damage to steel types through Endeavor as steel types are a natural answer to Archeops.

I added a really underrated sweeper in SD Absol which can just run through teams, especially because most people dont expect SD on Absol.

I added Band Sawk and LO Sigilpyh as two powerhouses to complememt my nuking prowess with sturdy being really cool if I can (and should) keep rocks off my side.

Keeping rocks off is idealistic and certain matchups, so I went for Hitmonlee instead which doesnt forfeit momentum by being locked into a move, while at the same time providing emergency hazard support in case I end up saving Viv for late game and need my sash intact. Sigilpyh unfotunately just gives up too much momentum to fast scary things like Tyrantrum and Jolteon. Accelgor just outspeeds them instead n_n.

THE SQUAD

Archeops @ Focus Sash
Ability: Defeatist
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Taunt
- Endeavor
- Stealth Rock

Starting, with the lead of the team, Archeops gets my rocks up and then dies soon after for the noble cause. Pretty much the best lead which can guarantee rocks in most scenarios unless u get cteamed by lead taunt aero. Head Smash is a nuke move but its main use is just to ensure it kills itself so it can block spin or defog for a turn. In conjuction with sash, Endeavor lets me bop a lot of things to low health. This is particular useful against bulkier teams which lack a ghost type as they essentailly have to choose which mon they want to get crippled down to low health.
Set Details: Nothing special here, just max speed for fastest rocks and taunts, max atk to improve my head smash for the sheer power.

Vivillon @ Focus Sash
Ability: Compound Eyes
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Hurricane
- Quiver Dance
- Sleep Powder
- Energy Ball

The Moneymaker, what this team is about. Vivillion sleeps something and starts quivering or just switches out and stays on the look out for late game sweeps. Focus sash ensures i get a guaranteed 1 turn of set up which lets me move past a lot of relevant scarfers. Quiver+Sleep is mandatory and is what makes Vivillion so deadly. Energy Ball is to whittle/kill a lot of relevant rock types in the tier, for example: Rhyperior. Also helps vs stall matchups as there is nothing more painful as a Quagsire laughing in your face as it toxics you.
Set Details: Timid instead of Modest lets me outspeed scarf medicham and the like. Viv is frail and needs the sash for opportunites. As mentioned earlier Eball is cool for stall matchups and abundant rock types like Diancie.

Absol @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 4 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower

My suprise sweeper and nuke, Absol does a wonderful job threatening stuff out and setting up on the switch outs. Even if I dont have any set up opportunites, Absol is still a huge threat in its own right with Knock off being a high powered STAB and Sucker Punch providing some much needed priority. Superpower is the rekking ball coverage of choice as it can help manhandle steel types which open room for both Vivillion and Tyrantrum during the late game.
Set Details: I was using Jolly for a while actually, but after changing to adamant I have noticed a huge power difference which definitely makes up for whatever I end up getting outsped by because I'm not running jolly.

Accelgor @ Life Orb
Ability: Sticky Hold
Timid Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Focus Blast
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain

Accelgor was actually a late addition to the team in favor of Sigiliyph. The reason being I wanted something to bolster my weakeness to fast things and also becomes Sigilyph gives free momentum to a lot of fast things like Jolteon. 4 attacks Accelgor is used to try and create the maximum coverage possible with Bug Buzz and Focus Blast being Mandatory. SLudge bomb is for fairies which the team can struggle with at times, and Giga Drain is for bulky waters and also tries to give Blastoise a tougher time trying to switch in and spin.
Set Details: Standard EVS, obviously need timid as it lets me outspeed a lot of scarfers which could potentaily run rampant.

Tyrantrum @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Outrage
- Superpower
- Iron Head

The cleaner, the dinosuar, the beast and the based lord himself: King Tyrant. Tyrantrum tries to clean late game after his checks have been weakened, while also being an effective midgame revenge cleaner if need be. Against teams which run a less sturdy steel type, I may try to catch it with a coverage move by using it early game which could open holes for Vivillion. Iron head is just for catching fairy types like Diancie 1v1 who think that they can tank 1 head smash and ohko back. Also bailout flinches if i get lucky.

Hitmonlee @ Life Orb
Ability: Reckless
Adamant Nature
- High Jump Kick
- Knock Off
- Mach Punch
- Rapid Spin

The final part of the team, Hitmonlee provides emergency hazard support along with powerful fighting stabs and priority to boot. Standard set not too much too explain.
Set Details: Adamant instead of jolly for the power priority and I dont mind missing out on Timid Venusaur
Threatlist:
Choice scarf Flygon can be painful but priority spam should get the job done to bring it down. Also Vivillion can sleep it at the cost of its sash.

Not a problem on its own because I have absol, but with a colbur berry things become interesting...
Shoutouts:
RU SQUAD HYPE:
@Fineonbae,
@BrandonBeast,
@Chompers,
@CrzyCookie,
@Drapionswing,
@Gatorboy,
@ Laurens,
@Miyami~~,
@Oddish is the best,
@Take an Azelfie,
@ Thatwackycruton,
@TheKingHax,
@WanderingWobbuffet,
@You Don't Need to Know,
HypnoEmpire
RU people and UU People: MrAldo sorry if i come off as a know it all but I really appreciate all the help you give n_n
Killintime Fuck Colbur Jelli
LittleRunnerXC
Shadestep
Kableye Kablemeta doe
Bhris Brown
Horsehead-3
Merlouvynis
Mahmudkipz hi overgrow snakes!
Aquadext ur gay
lucqq fam
ehat

fran17

(1999)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Hey there really cool team. From the preview I see that mons like Medicham and Fletchinder are pretty threatening for you. Medicham can get a kill everytime he switches on the field if played well, while Fletchinder can be really threatening if Tyrantrum is weakened enough.
  • To solve the Fletchinder problem I suggest you to run Jolteon over Accelgor; Jolteon will give you a secondary Fletch check, it will still give you a good fast sweeper, and with HP Ice it will prevent defensive Flygon to defog the rocks away.
  • Now with the loss of Accelgor you look even more weak to Medicham, so I suggest you to run Spiritomb over Absol. I know Absol was important in your team, because of his wallbreaking ability, but I really think that Tomb can work well too. I'm going to suggest you a set with Will-O-Wisp and Pain Split in order to play well againist fatter mons like Alomomola and Steelix, which usually can check Tomb. Pursuit and Sucker Punch will let Tomb trap psychic types and to hit decently hard with the priority.
Jolteon @ Life Orb
Ability: Volt Absorb
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Volt Switch
- Baton Pass / Yawn

With the last slot you can have lure in some usual switchin like Steelix or Mega Camerupt. BP will let you get momentum anyway without the need of Volt Switch, which can be usually get blocked by ground types. Yawn will let you get some sleep turns that can be useful for you :)

Spiritomb @ Leftovers
Ability: Infiltrator
EVs: 212 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Pursuit
- Sucker Punch
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

I hope my rate was useful, good luck with your team!

I think you should change the absol set a little bit. First of all, I think focus sash would work very well and will-o-whisp over swords dance can really put in work and cripple enemy teams. I also think offensive archeops (which works really well btw) could help you sweep on your team. Heres the finished team: http://pastebin.com/bL3p6vMp

Your team could use mega glalie and make it a HO team BTW. If you find a way to fit it it would work well.

I think you should change the absol set a little bit. First of all, I think focus sash would work very well and will-o-whisp over swords dance can really put in work and cripple enemy teams. I also think offensive archeops (which works really well btw) could help you sweep on your team. Heres the finished team: http://pastebin.com/bL3p6vMp

Your team could use mega glalie and make it a HO team BTW. If you find a way to fit it it would work well.
Actually no. Willowisp doesnt do anything for absol as its strictly a hyper offensive mon. It has such poor defense and hp that it dies to nearly everything, even when burned, things can still 1 shot it or majorly damage it.

As for sash, absol really wants to hit everything it can with such hard power as it defines glass cannon, its moves wont hit as hard anymore since you replaced it with sash and since absol is already weak enough, that item will be really useless.

Currently his team works well for a lead archeops with rocks and taunt, so an offensive one isnt necessary.

He doesnt need to have a hyper offensive team, so mega glalie is also unnecessary and that would just increase his rocks weakness.

all falls down

thanks ugly god
Hey there, your team is pretty interesting and it's always nice seeing HO RU teams being showcased in RMTs instead of the usual balanced or Bulky Offense teams, even though it is harder to use than the other two playstyles.

edit: read 2 posts down
Threats at first glance:--->
<----

Vivillon is a really cool Pokemon that doesn't see much use in RU and I like the way your team supports it. Being an HO team, defensive synergy isn't that important, but in RU it is really important because there are so many insanely powerful Choice Scarf Pokemon that spell the end for typical HO teams, like Durant, Tyrantrum and Medicham. I noticed that your team actually has absolutely nothing to revenge kill a Scarf Adamant Durant with SR up; Scarfed Durant genuinely outspeeds and OHKOs your entire team, no rolls, no speed ties. I'm not sure if you made this team with the intention of Durant being banned, but if you didn't this is a huge problem. Seriously, I've never seen a team so weak to Durant. The only possible way for you to beat Durant is by hoping they stay in on one of your two sashed Pokemon or if they miss one of their moves. Since Durant is one of the top Metagame threats right now, I don't see how this team can function without a way to beat it.

Other smaller threats to this team include Flygon, like you said, Fletchinder, Medicham, and Tyrantrum. Like I said, HO teams shouldn't stress too much about having no switch-ins to anything, and you can deal with the above Pokemon through priority most of the time -- Medicham and Tyrantrum with Absol and Hitmonlee respectively, and Fletchinder is dealt with pretty nicely with Tyrantrum, even if it does get burnt. Flygon is probably the most problematic out of these, but you can punish it quite severely if it ever locks itself into Earthquake, and Dragon Claw isn't strong enough to OHKO any of your Pokemon so it will usually just get a kill or two with Outrage and die, so I don't think the above threats are nearly as bad as Durant.

• Obviously, Durant is very broken and I hope it gets banned. Because it's so broken, its very hard to casually fit in an offensive Durant check on a team like this without turning it into something bad like Alomomola offense, but I think your best shot at this is changing Tyrantrum to Emboar There aren't many offensive Durant checks and Emboar is one of the only ones. It can switch in on Scarf Adamant Durant and avoid the 2HKO, force it out and force it to take Stealth Rock damage so hopefully your Absol or Hitmonlee can pick it off with priority later on, or it can just come in and check it and force it out and add momentum. Tyrantrum and Emboar have similar roles, and both do well vs Offensive based teams and do a fine job at Revenge Killing annoying Pokemon like Virizion.
  • SD Absol is a luxury here, and Iron Tail over Swords Dance, I think, works better on this team, especially with conjunction of Vivillon. Iron tail can beat Diancie, one of the best checks to Vivillon, as even with Energy ball it fails to even 2HKO Diancie, and Diancie always OHKOs in return. Absol won't have many opportunities to set up a Swords Dance anyways, and I think that the extra coverage is more useful since you can also bop things like Togetic, Aromatisse and Granbull, although the main target will always be Diancie. You don't have Tyrantrum to bait in Diancie anymore, so I think this change is very worthwhile.
  • [OPTIONAL]
    ->
    or
    This change is the most minor one, and as a result is pretty optional. Accelgor is nice on this team, but other Pokemon may fit this slot better. Hoopa over Accelgor in particular can spinblock, which is pretty important with suicide leads, and you said that Blastoise was annoying and Hoopa can pretty much spinblock Blastoise and force it out if it doesn't have Dark Pulse, and it also functions as a weak check to Medicham that makes the Medicham user always question going for HJK. It is also another great Pokemon against more balanced teams. Rotom over Accelgor is a similar change in regards to spinblocking and wallbreaking, but it is also a secondary check to Durant (it can switch in to Adamant Durant and avoid the 2HKO) and it can do a good job shuffling the other team and weakening it for Vivillon to sweep. Like I said, this change is pretty optional and I can see you keeping Accelgor on here since it is pretty nice vs Offensive teams, and without Tyrantrum it may be more beneficial to keep it on, but the option is there. Both of these Pokemon also dissuade the use of choice-locked Fighting moves, to which you have no switch in to on your team.
That's all I have, cool HO team like I said and I wish you good luck. Sorry if I came a bit too harsh preaching about Durant but I genuinely think it is a major issue :toast:

Emboar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Reckless
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Flare Blitz
- Superpower
- Wild Charge
- Sleep Talk

Absol @ Life Orb
Ability: Super Luck
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Superpower
- Iron Tail

[OPTIONAL]

Rotom @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 124 HP / 132 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Discharge
- Hex

OR

Hoopa @ Life Orb
Ability: Magician
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Psyshock
- Knock Off / Fire Punch

Last edited:

freezai

Live for the Applause
is a Tiering Contributor
"I'm not sure if you made this team with the intention of Durant being banned, but if you didn't this is a huge problem."

Guilty as charged xd made it for after it (likely) gets banned but got a little too anxious about rmting my team

all falls down

thanks ugly god
I want to update my rate because looking over it I realized that I made your team insanely weak to Fletchinder without noticing lol, that's what I get for rating a team so late in the night!

Looking over it, I still recommend the Absol moveset change, but I think that Rotom>Accelgor and keeping Tyrantrum would be better, as Rotom will let you check Durant (if it doesn't get banned), and it'll let you still check Fletch with Tyrantrum.

Last edited:

feen

control
is a Top Tiering Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Okay so your team is a very hyper offensive with a dedicated lead, two breakers, two setup sweepers, and one cleaner / revenge killer. The main idea is obviously getting up Stealth Rock without the opponent setting up theirs, and start breaking stuff. However, when one looks at a team such as yours and has decent knowledge of the metagame, they would know 100% what your lead will be, and what you will do. Therefore, instead of getting rocks up, they will lead with a Pokemon that has a nice matchup versus Archeops, for example, Mega Steelix, Bronzong, Registeel or Diancie, and hit you with a weak move (Stone Edge, Psywave, Seismic Toss, Moonblast respectively) turn 1, letting you either Taunt or use Stealth Rock. Of course, Archeops now faints with Rocks being up, but the opponent can easily set their Stealth Rock, as the rest of your team does not have any Taunt users. After your Archeops faints, your best play would definitely be going to Hitmonlee. Here, you have to either go for High Jump Kick or Knock Off, considering every team should have a Ghost- or Fairy-type Pokemon, or at least a Sigilyph. This obviously gives uncertainty whether you can hit the right target. Steelix, Bronzong, and Registeel has a much easier time setting up Stealth Rock, as they can switch into Vivillon and Tyrantrum.

Moreover, Diancie pressures your team a lot, as it can switch into Vivillon (after foddering a Pokemon to sleep), Absol, and Accelgor. This means that your team heavily needs a better check for Diancie over Hitmonlee. Granbull is another threat to your team, as it can switch into Absol and Hitmonlee, and fire off a Choice Banded Play Rough which will KO any switch-in. Some other threats such as Durant, Fletchinder (after Tyrantrum falls), Choice Scarf Medicham (Medicham + Fletchinder core in general) are very very hard for your team to deal with. Also your team loses to Tyrantrum and your best answer to it is speed tie with your own Tyrantrum.

The first paragraph was to inform you that Hyper Offense isn't a great playstyle in RU, but I respect your playstyle so I won't try to change that. Now then, into the second paragraph, I stated a couple of threats to your team that are pretty dangerous and disturbing to your team, so I'll attempt to mitigate that issue as best as I can.

First off, to mitigate the Diancie and Granbull issue, the best way is not to find a switch in, but to lure it, as switch ins aren't a good way of HO teams, and they get worn down. Therefore, the best lure for your team would definitely have to be running Iron Tail over Swords Dance on Absol, which will make Absol from a setup sweeper to a wall breaker. Absol functions better as a wall breaker than a setup sweeper, as it has difficulties setting up due to its poor bulk. Another thing that bothers me is that due to Absol's pitiful defensive capabilities, Justified as an Ability isn't worth it. Instead of Justified, Super Luck is better, as it can get Absol more kills, especially on offensive Flygon, Medicham, and Mega Steelix.
over

Moving on to the next one, finding a Pokemon covering Durant, Fletchinder, and Medicham is pretty hard, and the Pokemon I'm going to suggest isn't a hard check, but a soft one. My change would be changing Accelgor to Rotom. Rotom checks Fletchinder definitely, and resists the usual moves of Durant (X-Scissor / Iron Head / Superpower / Thunder Fang), while Crunch sets are rare, and are seen more on Hone Claws set, which is easier to revenge kill, as you have Tyrantrum. The main benefit you'll have from Rotom is that you'll give the opponent a better reason not to use High Jump Kick when they have their Medicham in. This will definitely cause mind games, and sometimes you might fall on the short end of the stick, but most of the time you won't, as the idea of having a Ghost-type in the opponent's team will discourage them a lot.

Removing Accelgor reduces your chances of dealing with Scarf Tyrantrum and going back to my first paragraph, I stated that you're always leading with Archeops. Let's change that a bit, and run Tailwind over Endeavor. This will let Archeops have usefulness late game as well, so try to preserve it to get a Tailwind off, which many Pokemon in your team appreciates, such as Absol, Tyrantrum, and Hitmonlee. Endeavor isn't really helpful much, because so many people expect it anyways, and thus Tailwind gives your team a better utility overall.

Good luck with the squad.

Rotom @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 136 HP / 120 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Discharge
- Substitute
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hex

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)