Status
Not open for further replies.
bump! ^_^
Dragonite

Type: Dragon/Flying
Ability: Inner Focus
Base Stats: 91 HP / 134 Atk / 95 Def / 100 SpA / 100 SpD / 80 Spe
Rating: ***

Dragonite has very solid defenses, a gigantic Attack stat, and very usable Special Attack. To best abuse all of these, Dragonite is usually seen as a mixed attacker, using Draco Meteor, Superpower, Roost, and either Flamethrower or Thunderbolt, backed by Life Orb. Dragonite may also use Dragon Dance with Outrage and Earthquake, or a support set with Heal Bell, Roost, and Light Screen. Dragonite also likes to use ExtremeSpeed to help compensate for its mediocre Speed stat. Despite this wide variety of move options, Dragonite is often compared unfavourably to other Dragon Dance users, such as Salamence, who admiteddly has much better Speed. In general, anything that helps against Salamence will also work against Dragonite, such as Stealth Rock and Choice Scarfed or priority Ice attacks. One can also deal with it by forcing it to lock itself into Outrage and switching in a Steel-typed Pokemon such as Metagross.
Pyroak

Type: Fire/Grass
Abilities: Rock Head/Flash Fire
Base Stats: 117 HP / 105 Atk / 102 Def / 80 SpA / 96 SpD / 70 Spe
Rating: *****

Pyroak has low offensive stats, but Dragon Dance and two 120 Base Power STAB attacks (Wood Hammer and Flare Blitz) are more than enough to make Pyroak a top-level threat. For type coverage, Pyroak typically uses one of Earthquake, Stone Edge or Dragon Claw. What makes Pyroak difficult to stop is the fact that Fire- and Grass-typed attacks hit almost all the traditionally bulky Pokemon for super-effective damage, meaning Pyroak's counters and checks tend to be a bit out of the ordinary. Heatran will stop any set without Earthquake, while Latias and Salamence will shut down any Pyroak that don't run Dragon Claw or Stone Edge. If Stone Edge is used, Cyclohm becomes the most reliable counter. In the absence of the correct Pokemon to stop Pyroak, Pokemon with 359 Speed will outrun the common Adamant sets after a Dragon Dance, while Pokemon that can reach 394 Speed will outrun even Jolly +1 Pyroak. This means that Pokemon like Stratagem and Aerodactyl make the ideal revenge killers. In a pinch, Pyroak can usually be handled by Tricking it a Choice item; any of its common attacks are easily walled when Pyroak can no longer switch moves.
Pyroak

Type: Fire/Grass
Abilities: Rock Head/Flash Fire
Base Stats: 117 HP / 105 Atk / 102 Def / 80 SpA / 96 SpD / 70 Spe

Due to good stats, solid ability, and a great movepool, Pyroak is capable of being a defensive threat, despite its bad typing. Pyroak's support options include Stealth Rock, Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, Aromatherapy, Will-o-Wisp, Roar, Leech Seed, Knock Off, Synthesis, and Toxic. However, it has a very limited number of moveslots available, especially since it virtually always runs at least two attacks; often three. Status is the main thing to watch for; Pyroak is capable of spreading any of the four types of status without much difficulty. Defensive Pyroak still packs a punch, as it has base 140 STAB attacks in Leaf Storm and Overheat. Often, however, Pyroak opts to act as a SubSeeder, using Leech Seed, Substitute, and Lava Plume. Pyroak is weak to virtually all forms of passive damage; if you can keep Stealth Rock or Toxic Spikes on the field, you will most likely be able to prevent Pyroak from impeding your powerful attackers. Pyroak also fears Toxic and Trick, as well as Rock- and Flying-typed attacks.

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
Now that some time has passed in playtesting I'm allowing post-revision paragraphs.

Alright, the OP has been updated. The entire defensive threat list is finally complete, so thanks for that! :)

Also, I had to remove the reservations people have made, as they were reserved for a very long time and weren't being worked on.

Have fun!

Magnezone

Type: Electric/Steel
Ability: Magnet Pull
Stats: 70 HP / 70 Atk / 115 Def / 130 SpA / 90 SpD / 60 Spe
Rating: ****

The ability to trap Steel-type Pokemon with Magnet Pull makes Magnezone a definite must to keep an eye out for. In fact, Magnezone's existence is the exact reason why Shed Shell is viable on Skamory, just because there's no other way to escape Magnezone's grasp. Magnezone actually partners well with the likes of Syclant and Stratagem, who are bound to be attacked by Scizor's Bullet Punch. Colossoil can also benefit from having Magnezone around, since Magnezone can handle Skamory and some bulky Waters in the CAP metagame with ease, allowing Colossoil to do its job with much less fear. Although more of a helping hand than a true sweeper, 130 Special Attack is more than enough for Magnezone to get the KOes that it needs to, especially with a handful of entry hazards down. Countering Magnezone on the other hand, is just a matter of employing Pokemon that can shrug these attacks off and exploit its weaknesses. But keep in mind that faster Pokemon that know Earthquake are better than slower ones, as Magnezone will be happy to use Magnet Rise if it can.

Magnezone

Type: Electric/Steel
Ability: Magnet Pull
Stats: 70 HP / 70 Atk / 115 Def / 130 SpA / 90 SpD / 60 Spe

Between an excellent source of Special Attack, the ability to trap its Steel adversaries via Magnet Pull and the strong likelihood of carrying a Choice Scarf, Magnezone is a definite must to keep an eye out for. In fact, Magnezone's existence is the exact reason why Shed Shell is viable on Skamory, since it has no other way to escape a positively shocking death. Other Steels types that are purely there for support won't have much luck either, unless they pack U-Turn or a super-effective move for such an occasion. Even those that pack Earthquake aren't out of the woods yet, as Magnezone can sometimes carry Magnet Rise, albeit not often enough to be a huge issue. But not all Steels fear Magnet Pull. Metagross can keep ahead of a Magnezone that doesn't carry a Choice Scarf with ease, and can destroy Magnezone in one shot with a fast-paced Earthquake. Heatran likes to carry a Scarf of its own, which means it's a guaranteed threat no matter what item Magnezone has. Even Kitsunoh is sketchy, as Magnezone's Defense drops 1 out of 2 times it comes in on a Shadowstrike. This is more than enough for the fox to force the oversized magnet out with Superpower.
Hey Stalfos, I'm happy that you didn't give up on this. However, your explanation is still not really what I'm looking for, particularly because of the style you write it in. It's kind of hard for me to explain why exactly it's not what I'm looking for, but I'll try my best to explain.

Firstly, your explanation is filled with many spelling mistakes, which is definitely not good. For example:

Other Steels types that are purely there for support won't have much luck either, unless they pack U-Turn or a super-effective move for such an occasion.
That above sentence has spelling mistakes that need to be fixed. Here's what it should look like:

Other Steel-types that are purely there for support won't have much luck either, unless they pack U-turn or a super effective move for such an occasion.
Every time you refer to a Pokemon's typing by saying "type" after it, you must always have a "-" after the actual type. In this case, Steel type would be written as Steel-type. The problem with "U-Turn" is the capitalized 'T'. The 'T' should not be capitalized, so you'd have U-turn. Finally, there is never a "-" used in between super effective, it's just spaced out.

Another problem is the abundant use of "fancy talk". I'm not sure how to explain this, but here are some examples:

...Skamory, since it has no other way to escape a positively shocking death.
Even those that pack Earthquake aren't out of the woods yet, as Magnezone...
This is more than enough for the fox to force the oversized magnet out with Superpower.
This isn't really a big issue, but it's good to limit the amount of "fancy talk" throughout an explanation. And anyway, none of the current explanations do this, so it's also good to stay consistent.

So before posting anything, make sure you proofread your work several times. Read it out loud too because that helps a lot, even though it may not seem like it.

If you want, can you try following this format? Maybe it will help you.

Thanks!

Actually, you explained everything pretty well. To be honest, I still hadn't gotten over the whole terminology thing when I wrote it, but yeah I'll look into it a bit more

Plus

中国风暴 trademark
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Starmie

Type: Water / Psychic
Ability: Natural Cure
Base Stats: 60 HP / 75 Atk / 85 Def / 115 Spe / 100 SpA / 85 SpD

While keeping its status as a fast and powerful sweeper who can potentially spin as well, Starmie is well suited to OHKO Fidgit and Kitsunoh with a LO Hydro Pump, and Cyclohm with Ice Beam. Though it may still hit hard, the addition of Revenankh made Starmie less competent in Rapid Spinning, though still completely viable. Colossoil's Sucker Punch and Pursuit combination will force a mind game in Sucker Punching or Pursuit, making Colossoil somewhat difficult to deal with once it switches in safely. Despite this, Starmie still remains a competent offensive threat in CAP, just like OU.

Short and simple

I'm reading a lot of these analyses and I just wanted to point out that the only real thing you should be talking about if you're analyzing an OU pokemon is how it does against CAPs. The majority of people who would read this list would be new people to CAP who have come from OU. Perhaps we should cut the OU bullshit and just focus on CAP talk for now. If we're analyzing a CAP pokemon then it's obviously different but come on this is not intro to pokemon here lol. Thanks for telling me how Dragonite is outclassed by Salamence in different aspects and how Magnezone can trap steels like Scizor, like that's really hard to figure out. Some more CAP insight is needed in these analyses. I'll use Beej's as an example of a good analysis.

Empoleon

Type: Water / Steel
Ability: Torrent
Base Stats: 84 HP / 86 Atk / 88 Def / 111 SpA / 101 SpD / 60 Spe

While still a very powerful sweeper once it gets set up, Empoleon faces a large obstacle in the CAP metagame: Arghonaut. With Unaware, it ignores Empoleon's potential Petaya boost and can take pretty much any one of its unboosted attacks, bar a Life Orb Grass Knot. However, Arghonaut's presence is largely limited to defensive teams, and it can usually be cleared away through the same methods that Empoleon's other common counters can be cleared out. As in OU, once its counters have been cleared away or weakened, Empoleon is extremely efficient at plowing through an enemy team with only one turn needed to Agility and solidify its sweep.
short and simple as well. I'm pretty sure Beej could be talking about dumbass shit like what it specifically loses to in OU, but he just cuts it short by "as in ou, once its counters....". Let's assume that the reader has knowledge in OU -- CAP is basically an add on to OU. Good job Beej!

beej

everybody walk the dinosaur
is a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Metagross

Type: Steel / Psychic
Ability: Clear Body
Base Stats: 80 HP / 135 Atk / 130 Def / 95 SpA / 90 SpD / 70 Spe

Metagross is one of the most dangerous and metagame-shaping Pokemon within CAP, mainly due to a combination of very advantageous stats and its access to a powerful Zen Headbutt. While its physically-attacking Steel companion, Scizor, has trouble with Pokemon like Arghonaut, Fidgit and Revenankh, Metagross can simply smash its way through with its Psychic-STAB, which is actually capable of OHKOing many variants of the three when backed up by a Life Orb. It also possesses high physical bulk to the point where even an offensive Metagross has little trouble switching into the common physical attacks of Arghonaut and Revenankh. Along with the common lead sets, there are generally two types of Metagross sets that are used in CAP, and both of them usually have Zen Headbutt. One of them is a bulky attacker that invests in HP and is designed to take hits and potentially remove counters to other Pokemon by Exploding. The other is Life Orb Zen Headbutt Agiligross, which has become among the most fearsome and difficult to stop late-game sweepers in the CAP metagame. This notably leaves it more vulnerable to Skarmory, who has become increasingly useful as a CAP Metagross response.

Edit: on a roll! PS I know I didn't reserve TTar and I did reserve Snorlax, but Snorlax is hard :(

Tyranitar

Type: Rock / Dark
Ability: Sandstream
Base Stats: 100 HP / 134 Atk / 110 Def / 95 SpA / 100 SpD / 61 Spe

Faced with a new nemesis, Arghonaut, and the fact that it now must compete for a team slot with Colossoil, who carries out many of its traditional tasks more fluidly, Tyranitar can be described as a victim of circumstance within the CAP metagame. Having a massive Attack stat, multiple stat-boosting moves and great defensive prowess doesn't seem as good when you realize that most defensive teams are equipped with an almost perfect counter to it, and that Colossoil is faster and can take status with ease. Many of Tyranitar's famous sets from OU, such as Choice Band and Dragon Dance, have been deemed inefficient and obsolete in this harsh new metagame. The story isn't all bad for Tyranitar, however. Sandstream remains an exceptionally useful ability, and Tyranitar has gained a new role as a partner to Stratagem, who becomes even more dangerous with a Special Defense boost. This boost also allows Tyranitar to become a more reliable answer to Latias than Colossoil, who often has to resort to a Sucker Punch/Pursuit gamble in which it risks getting hit by a Life Orb Surf. Tyranitar in CAP is usually seen as a lead, and it will often be found using elemental attacking sets that set it apart from Colossoil as a counter-breaker with its huge movepool. A lot of teams choose to run both Tyranitar and Colossoil, as the two are deceptively capable of weakening each others' counters.

Actually, while I'm waiting for some critique on my new Magnezone entry, I'll see if I can tone down the "almighty god" effect ZrystaL had in his Kingdra entry, since he hasn't came back and worked on it for a while.

Kingdra

Type: Water / Dragon
Abilities: Swift Swim / Sniper
Base Stats: 75 HP / 95 Atk / 95 Def / 95 SpA / 95 SpD / 85 Spe

Despite not having a single base stat in the triple digits, Kingdra can still be an immensely dangerous threat. Base 95 on both attacking stats isn't that bad, least of all when combined with its amazing coverage with STABs alone. These STABs in Water and Dragon can only ever be resisted by Empoleon, who's a reasonably rare sight in the current metagame. Swift Swim and Dragon Dance both cure Kingdra's sub-par Speed, and the fact that it likes to stick to 3 sets doesn't make it any easier to out-predict. Blissey might seem like an obvious switch-in if Kingdra holds Rain Dance, but he can still Dragon Dance her in the face. Dragon Dancers can just as easily carry Draco Meteor or Hydro Pump to deal with physical walls such as Gliscor, Cyclohm or Skamory. Even Arghonaut and Revenankh take big hits from Kingdra; Arghonaut can only win by constantly Recovering until Kingdra gives in and Revenankh can only win by following Hammer Arm with a quick Shadow Sneak... if it hadn't taken much damage before it switched into Kingdra in the first place. To be honest, Kingdra doesn't need a lot of support to take down what he must, and he is definitely a force to be reckoned with.

MIGHT need a bit more toning down, but I can't tell where atm. I'll keep an eye on it.

EDIT: Actually, I could take out this bit here...

"they must Recover or Rest—respectively—from time to time and pray that Kingdra switches or runs out of PP"
...since they do so all the time anyway.

EDIT2: Even better, I've changed said sentence upon lurking in this thread a bit more

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)