Metagame The Card Game (DLC 2 bans at post #74!)

Gimmicky

You give me chills, I've had it with the drills
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Approved by UT and KaenSoul
tcg_banner.png

Banner by the amazing and wonderful KaenSoul

The Card Game
(TCG for short)

The Trading Card Game has differed itself from the games since its inception in many different ways, specifically its lack of some types that are available in the games. This metagame aims to condense all the current 18 types into those 10 types that are in the TCG, affecting not only a Pokemon's typings, but also their moves and abilities.

These are 10 new types with the transferred types included in parentheses:
Grass (Bug)
Fire
Water (Ice)
Electric
Fighting (Rock, Ground)
Psychic (Ghost, Fairy)
Normal (Flying)
Dark (Poison)
Steel
Dragon
Rules:
Mechanic: The current 18 types are condensed into the 10 types that are available in the Trading Card Game, converting Pokemon types, moves, and abilities.

Clauses: Standard OMs, Sleep Moves Clause, Min Source Gen=9, Evasion Clause, Terastal Clause

Bans:

Pokémon:
:annihilape: Annihilape
:arceus:Arceus
:baxcalibur:Baxcalibur
:calyrex-ice:Calyrex-Ice
:calyrex-shadow:Calyrex-Shadow
:chi-yu:Chi-Yu
:chien-pao: Chien-Pao
:deoxys: Deoxys-Normal
:deoxys-attack: Deoxys-Attack
:dialga-origin:Dialga-Origin
:dialga:Dialga
:dragapult: Dragapult
:dragonite:Dragonite
:dudunsparce: Dudunsparce
:eternatus:Eternatus
:garchomp: Garchomp
:giratina-origin:Giratina-Origin
:giratina:Giratina
:entei: Gouging Fire
:groudon:Groudon
:haxorus: Haxorus
:ho-oh: Ho-oh
:hydreigon:Hydreigon
:iron valiant: Iron Valiant
:kommo-o: Kommo-o
:koraidon:Koraidon
:kyogre:Kyogre
:kyurem: Kyurem
:kyurem-black: Kyurem-Black
:kyurem-white: Kyurem-White
:landorus:Landorus
:latias: Latias
:latios: Latios
:lugia: Lugia
:lunala: Lunala
:mewtwo:Mewtwo
:miraidon:Miraidon
:necrozma-dawn-wings: Necrozma-DW
:necrozma-dusk-mane: Necrozma-DM
:noivern:Noivern
:palafin: Palafin
:palkia-origin:Palkia-Origin
:palkia:Palkia
:rayquaza:Rayquaza
:regidrago:Regidrago
:regieleki:Regieleki
:roaring-moon: Roaring Moon
:salamence: Salamence
:solgaleo: Solgaleo
:shaymin-sky: Shaymin-Sky Forme
:urshifu:Single Strike Urshifu
:ursaluna: Ursaluna
:ursaluna-bloodmoon: Ursaluna Bloodmoon
:walking wake:Walking Wake
:zacian-crowned: Zacian-Crowned
:zacian:Zacian
:zekrom: Zekrom
Abilities:
:diglett: Arena Trap
:snorunt: Moody
:gothita: Shadow Tag

Moves:
:eevee: Baton Pass
:greavard: Last Respects
:orthworm: Shed Tail

Council
:leafeon: Gimmickyasitgets
:dewott: KaenSoul
:zorua-hisui: PQRDG
:ninetales-alola: DosDogs
:mimikyu: Dark Koopatrol

Strategy:

With the compression of some types, a lot of Pokemon gain new typings, lose weaknesses, and lose resistances.

Increased Viability
Grass Types: Grass-types benefit immensely from this change as they lose their weaknesses to Bug, Poison, Ice, and Flying while only losing its Ground resist, making it an excellent defensive typing for a lot of bulky Pokemon. Most Grass-types are dual-typed as well giving them nice resistances to couple with their aforementioned typing.

Psychic Types: Psychic-types gain a massive boon as they are now able to resist Stealth Rock. Psychic types also lose their Bug and Ghost weaknesses, leaving them only susceptible to Dark moves while losing none of their resistances.

Fighting Types: Fighting-types gain a lot in this metagame. They are now immune to Sand damage and gain a Special Defense boost in Sand. They also lose 3 resists and an immunity on the offensive side of things, allowing them to more freely spam their STAB moves.

Electric Types: The only single typing to no longer have any weaknesses, Electric-types are something to look out for. They are also able to freely spam their STAB moves since Ground-types are non-existent, making VoltTurn a very viable and potent strategy.
Decreased Viability
Steel Types: Steel types aren't as good here as they lose a lot of their resistances thanks to the types condensing all while gaining a Stealth Rock weakness. Fighting-types are prominent here as well making them not as healthy of a choice as other Pokemon in terms of defensiveness.

Normal Types: Sadly, while they appreciate not being affected by Spikes and Toxic Spikes, they do however gain a SR weakness, since Stealth Rocks now use Fighting-type "damage". This makes it harder for Normal-types to consistently switch into attacks or continue to threaten the opponents.
Q&A:
Q: Why is the Fairy type condensed into the Psychic type?
A: The Fairy type was retired in the TGC as of 2020, with the release of the Sword & Shield expansion pack.

Q: Why is the Dragon type not condensed into the Normal/Colorless type?
A: As of 2016, Dragon type has been it's own type in the TCG, and as such has been removed from being grouped with Normal.

Q: How do Sand/Snow work?
A: Sand and Snow apply their type-specific mechanics to their condensed forms. Water types recieve a 1.5x defense boost under hail. Fighting and Steel types are immune to sandstorm, and Fighting types revieve a 1.5x special defense boost under Sand.

Q: How do hazards work?
A: Stealth Rock now deals damage based on a Pokemon's fighting weakness. The Psychic type Espeon would take reduced damage from rocks, while the Normal type Blissey would take 2x damage. Grounded Dark types can now absorb Toxic Spikes off of your side of the field. Normal types are immune to Spikes and Toxic Spikes.

Q: How do type-reliant abilities work?
A: The types that trigger these will be condensed as well. Rattled, which raises speed by 1 stage if hit by a Bug, Dark, or Ghost type move, will now raise speed by 1 stage if hit by a Grass-, Dark-, or Psychic-type move. The same applies to type-immunity abilities such as Levitate and Thick Fat.

Q: Does Roost remove your Normal typing for the turn?
A: Yes and no. A pure Normal-type which uses Roost would still be Normal for the turn whereas a Pokémon that has a secondary Normal type will lose its Normal typing, therefore only becoming its primary typing for the turn.

Q: Are Normal-types affected by terrains?
A: As they are considered non-grounded now, they will not benefit from the effects of terrains.

Q: How do status-related type mechanics work?
A: These mechanics are condensed as well. Water types have become immune to freeze, Dark types are immune to poison and will never miss Toxic, etc.

Resources:
tcg type chart.png

Visual type chart courtesy of KaenSoul
In-depth type chart courtesy of PQRDG

Mechanics:
Bug-type moves become Grass-type.
Ice-type moves become Water-type.
Rock- and Ground-type moves become Fighting-type.
Ghost- and Fairy-type moves become Psychic-type.
Poison-type moves become Dark-type.
Flying-type moves become Normal-type.
:air balloon:Air Balloon: Holder is immune to Fighting-type attacks. Pops when holder is hit.
:black sludge:Black Sludge: Each turn, if holder is a Dark-type, restores 1/16 max HP; loses 1/8 if not.
:Earth plate: Earth Plate: Holder's Fighting-type attacks have 1.2x power. Judgment is Fighting type.
:Stone Plate:Stone Plate: Holder's Fighting-type attacks have 1.2x power. Judgment is Fighting type.
:icicle plate:Icicle Plate: Holder's Water-type attacks have 1.2x power. Judgment is Water type.
:insect plate:Insect Plate: Holder's Grass-type attacks have 1.2x power. Judgment is Grass type.
:sky plate:Sky Plate: Holder's Normal-type attacks have 1.2x power. Judgment is Normal type.
:snowball:Snowball: Raises holder's Attack by 1 if hit by an Water-type attack. Single use.
:toxic plate:Toxic Plate: Holder's Dark-type attacks have 1.2x power. Judgment is Dark type.
Gale Wings: This Pokemon's Normal-type moves have their priority increased by 1 at full HP.

Levitate: This Pokemon is immune to Fighting; Gravity/Ingrain/Smack Down/Iron Ball nullify it.

Rattled: This Pokemon's Speed is raised 1 stage if hit by a Grass-, Dark-, or Psychic-type attack.

Scrappy: This Pokemon can hit Psychic-types with Normal- and Fighting-type moves, and can also hit Normal-types with Fighting-type moves.

Swarm: When this Pokemon has 1/3 or less of its max HP, its Grass attacks do 1.5x damage.

Sand Force: This Pokemon's Fighting/Steel attacks do 1.3x in Sandstorm; immunity to it.

Thick Fat: Fire/Water-type moves against this Pokemon deal damage with a halved attacking stat.
Sandstorm:
● At the end of each turn, damages each Pokémon for 1/16 of its maximum HP, unless it is Fighting- or Steel-type, has one of the Abilities: Sand Force, Sand Rush, Sand Veil, Magic Guard or Overcoat; or is holding the Safety Goggles.
● Activates the following Abilities: Sand Force, Sand Rush, Sand Veil.
● Raises the Special Defense of all Fighting-type Pokémon by 50%.
● Changes Weather Ball to a Fighting-type move and doubles its power.
● Causes Solar Beam to only deal half of its normal damage.
● Causes Moonlight, Synthesis, and Morning Sun to recover ¼ of max HP.

Snow:

● Boosts Water-types' Defense by 1.5x.
● Activates the following Abilities: Forecast, Ice Body, and Snow Cloak.
● Causes Forecast to change Castform to its Snowy Form.
● Changes Weather Ball to an Water-type move and doubles its power.
● Allows Blizzard to bypass accuracy check.
● Causes Solar Beam to deal only half its normal damage.
● Causes Moonlight, Synthesis, and Morning Sun to recover ¼ of the user's maximum HP.
● Stealth Rock hurts foes on switch-in while factoring a Pokemon's Fighting weakness. For example, Corviknight now takes 4x upon switching to Stealth Rock while Skeledirge resists Stealth Rock with their new typings.
● Water-type Pokémon are immune to the Frozen condition.
● Dark-type Pokémon are immune to the Poison and Badly Poisoned conditions, even when switching in with Toxic Spikes in play. Dark-type Pokémon nullify Toxic Spikes (unless these Pokémon are also Normal-type or have the Levitate Ability).
● Psychic-type Pokémon are not affected by moves that prevent Pokémon from fleeing from battle.
● Fighting-type Pokémon take no damage from a sandstorm and get a Sp. Def boost in a sandstorm.
● Normal-type Pokémon cannot be damaged by Spikes when switching in, nor become afflicted with a Poison or Badly Poisoned conditions due to switching in with Toxic Spikes in play. They are also unaffected by Arena Trap since they are not considered "grounded".
Watchlist:
:garganacl:Garganacl
:volcarona: Volcarona
:magearna: Magearna
:sneasler: Sneasler
:hoopa-unbound: Hoopa-U
:zamazenta: Zamazenta-H
:enamorus: Enamorus-I
:cyclizar: Cyclizar
:espathra: Espathra
:spectrier: Spectrier
:darkrai: Darkrai
:urshifu: Urshifu Rapid Strike
:flygon: Flygon
:kingdra: Kingdra
:excadrill: Excadrill
Archaludon
Hydrapple
Raging Bolt
Sample Sets:
:garganacl:
Garganacl @ Leftovers
TCG Type: Fighting
Ability: Purifying Salt
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Iron Defense / Stealth Rock
- Body Press (Fighting)
- Salt Cure (Fighting)
- Recover

Changes from base Garganacl:
Gains STAB on Body Press.
Purifying Salt = No Weaknesses (Ghost -> Psychic = 0.5x Psychic Damage).
Takes 12.5% from Fighting Type Stealth Rock, while potentially setting up its own.
:flutter mane:
Flutter Mane @ Choice Specs
TCG Type: Psychic
Ability: Protosynthesis
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Energy Ball (Grass)
- Moonblast (Psychic)
- Mystical Fire (Fire) / Psyshock (Psychic)
- Power Gem (Fighting)

Changes from base Flutter Mane:
Shadow Ball is redundant, sharing a STAB type with Moonblast.
Takes 6.25% from Stealth Rock
Power Gem = Fighting Coverage
:volcarona:
Volcarona @ Focus Sash / Life Orb
TCG Type: Grass/Fire
Ability: Flame Body
Modest Nature
- Quiver Dance
- Giga Drain (Grass)
- Fiery Dance (Fire)
- Psychic (Psychic) / Bug Buzz (Grass) / Air Slash (Normal)

Changes from base Volcarona:
Giga Drain = STAB, Bug Buzz semi-redundant.
Stealth Rock Neutrality
Walled by Dragon, Fire
:ting lu:
Ting-Lu @ Leftovers
TCG Type: Dark/Fighting
Ability: Vessel of Ruin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Spikes / Stealth Rock
- Ruination (Dark)
- Earthquake / Body Press (Fighting)
- Protect

Changes from base Ting-Lu:
Body Press = STAB
1 weakness (Fighting)
Spikes ignored by Normal Types

Last edited:

cat

love so good feels like a thriller
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
Dragonite @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Multiscale
Tera Type: Dragon
- Dragon Dance
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Outrage
stab espeed, what must i say. outrage isn't immune'd by anything anymore right so its kinda bw ou but with stab espeed ig?

Gimmicky

A few of the sets I've been thinking about during the last few weeks of getting this into motion

Noivern @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Infiltrator
TCG Type: Normal/Dragon
Tera Type: Normal / Psychic
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest / Timid Nature
- Boomburst
- Draco Meteor
- U-turn / Flamethrower
- Roost / Flamethrower

STAB Boomburst. Draco for secondary stab and Flamethrower to roast through steels. Modest gives you more power while Timid gives you a very good speed tier. HDB is a must due to keeping the SR weakness.

Baxcalibur @ Loaded Dice / Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Thermal Exchange
TCG Type: Dragon/Water
Tera Type: Fighting / Water
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Icicle Spear / Aqua Tail
- Earthquake
- Dragon Dance
- Glaive Rush

Standard DD Baxc. Fighting coverage smokes steels :)
Baxcalibur @ Leftovers / Heavy Duty Boots
Ability: Ice Body
TCG Type: Dragon/Water
Tera Type: Water
EVs: 252 HP / 132 Def / 124 Spe
Impish Nature
- Protect
- Body Press
- Dragon Tail
- Icicle Crash

This thing is massively bulky under Snow, and Dragon/Water is great typing. Given EV spread outspeeds 0 Spe Chomp, but you could go full physdef or invest more in special defense if desired.

EDIT: banned mons

Sandy Shocks @ Life Orb
Ability: Protosynthesis
TCG Type: Electric/Fighting
Tera Type: Dark
Timid Nature
- Earth Power
- Volt Switch
- Thunderbolt
- Stealth Rock

Electric and Fighting is amazing coverage in TCG, and Stealth Rocks are broken. Volt Switch for momentum, Tbolt and EP for consistent hard-hitting STAB damage.

Last edited:

drampa's grandpa

cannonball
is a Community Contributoris a Community Leader Alumnus
Fighting / Dark is basically perfect neutral coverage here (you miss Hydreigon cuz Levitate :< )

It's very abusable. I wanna abuse it.

:sv/glimmora:
Glimmora @ Focus Sash
Ability: Toxic Debris
Tera Type: Grass
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Stealth Rock
- Mortal Spin

Glimmora is now Fighting / Dark, giving it exceptional offensive coverage alongside its usual utility. Mortal Spin cannot be blocked by Steel types (or by a new type) so it has improved as a counterlead as well. Toxic Spikes unfortunately aren't nearly as good as they were due to all Normal and Dark types being immune.

:ss/lycanroc-dusk:
Lycanroc-Dusk @ Life Orb / Choice Band
Ability: Tough Claws
Tera Type: Rock
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Accelerock
- Crunch / Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance / Outrage

If you've played Revelationmons you'll know this guy. STAB Tough Claws Close Combat hits super hard, and Accelerock is always there if you need priority.

Last but not least...
:bw/hydreigon:
Hydreigon @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Tera Type: Dark
Timid Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Substitute

Levitate is an incredible ability for Hydreigon, giving it an immunity to Fighting moves and making it resist a lot of the best coverage combos in the tier or at least the ones that have already been mentioned. This makes it a perfect choice for a bulky setup sweeper which can abuse Substitute or Nasty Plot on forced switches. There are probably better EVs but I don't know what. I'm hyped to try Hydreigon.

DosDogs

I like Cross Evolution
is a Pre-Contributor
I would like to say that there is no immunity to moves in the TCG, so in a meta based off of the TCG I personally think that they should be abolished here. But statuses work very different in the TCG and so immunity to those are probably fine, but in the TCG every pokemon can be hit by any move, so I think it would make sense for that to be true in this metagame too.

edit: I don't have anything to say about hazards, they don't exist in the TCG and I am glad to see a toxic spikes nerf

In vanilla, Ground-types have no special immunity to paralysis from Electric moves. They're just immune to the Electric moves themselves. So Fighting shouldn't have immunity to paralysis from Electric either.
I do think that Fighting should be immune to Thunder Wave, as, unlike other status moves, Thunder Wave specifically cannot hit Ground types.

KaenSoul

FuegoAlma
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a member of the Battle Simulator Staff
I would like to say that there is no immunity to moves in the TCG, so in a meta based off of the TCG I personally think that they should be abolished here. But statuses work very different in the TCG and so immunity to those are probably fine, but in the TCG every pokemon can be hit by any move, so I think it would make sense for that to be true in this metagame too.

edit: I don't have anything to say about hazards, they don't exist in the TCG and I am glad to see a toxic spikes nerf
We may be using the types that exist in the TCG, but all mechanics come from the current gen main line games like with every other OM, as trying to add any other change just fall into pet mod territory, we have to keep this concept as simple as possible, we don't want people learn to play with cards to learn how this all works, just checking what types exists is enough.

From what I understand from the type chart this has one resist that takes super effective damage from low kick most of the time
Maushold @ Wide Lens
Ability: Technician
Tera Type: Normal
Adamant Nature
- Tidy Up
- Population Bomb
- Low Kick
- Encore / Bullet Seed

Also question, is it that the types that change show their change in battle like in camo or change like the Inverse type chart

So let me understand:

Rapid Spin is unblockable, and so is Volt Swich (unless for electric-immune abilities).

Freeze-Dry is ironicnally effective against Water and Fire-types, but resisted by Dragon and Grass-types.

Fighting and Fire are the only types that can have 4x effectiveness.

Now about pokemons:

:Rotom-Wash::Rotom-Frost::Rotom-Fan::Rotom-Heat:
The only difference between Rotom-Wash and Rotom-Frost is that one uses Blizzard and the other Hydro Pump, and Rotom-Fan can finally make some use of the meme ability to get rid of the only weakness it has. No quad weak and neutral damage on SR is good for Heat form also.

:Abomasnow: :Frosmoth:
Takes no super-effective damage since Grass/Water has no weaknesses, even from Freeze-dry (since Grass resist it now). One is a great snow and veil setter and the other has Ice Scales + Quiver Dance combo and is no longer walled by Steels (but by Dragons).

:Lokix::Venomoth::Amoonguss:
The new members of the crowded Grass/Dark family, featuring two Tinted Lens abusers, one beeing a priority spammer and other a Quiver Dance sweeper, and a regenerator sponge that distributes sleep.

Gimmicky

but in the TCG every pokemon can be hit by any move, so I think it would make sense for that to be true in this metagame too.
Like KaenSoul said, our goal here isn’t an accurate recreation of the TCG and its unique mechanics. That would be more of a Pet Mod than an OM and a bit beyond our scope. Our goal was just to incorporate one quirk of the TCG, the reduced type chart.

This is also why we didn’t make distinctions such as offensive types being separate from defensive types (i.e. air slash being super effective against Fighting), or unique damage calculations like +50hp like the TCG may do on a card to card basis. Simply wasn’t the point of the OM.

Gimmicky

In vanilla, Ground-types have no special immunity to paralysis from Electric moves. They're just immune to the Electric moves themselves. So Fighting shouldn't have immunity to paralysis from Electric either.
This is a good catch and a mistake on my end when I was making the Q&A, I do not think that Fighting will be coded with this unique electric-para immunity. All is up to the coder’s discretion, though, and this and any other quirks of the Q&A will be ironed out once we’re sure of everything!

:dragapult:
Dragapult @ Life Orb
Ability: Infiltrator
Tera Type: Dragon
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Darts
- Dragon Dance
- Psychic Fangs
- Sucker Punch

Surprised noones talked about this menace yet, Dragapult does dragapult things but it does them even better now
Having actual useful "Ghost" stab that can hit the menace of fighting types super-effectively it does very well against sub hydreigon. Struggles against other dark types but that can be fixed with some good Stealth Rock support

I do think that Fighting should be immune to Thunder Wave, as, unlike other status moves, Thunder Wave specifically cannot hit Ground types.
Thunder Wave does not specifically not hit Ground-types. It specifically obeys type immunities. It can't hit whatever type is naturally immune to whatever type Thunder Wave is (usually Ground, but could also be Ghost through Normalize). Fighting is not immune to Electric, so it wouldn't be immune to Thunder Wave.

Really looking forward to using hydreigon and Noivern this is looking to be a fun OM.
Also why is none talking about Avalugg finally getting a good typing and other smaller boons it gets like the removal of ghosts improving body press.

Really looking forward to using hydreigon and Noivern this is looking to be a fun OM.
Also why is none talking about Avalugg finally getting a good typing and other smaller boons it gets like the removal of ghosts improving body press.
Avalugg may be Water-type but Water itself took a huge hit in this meta. Most other types lost weaknesses, but not only does Water retain its two weaknesses (now being tied with Steel for the most weaknesses) but those two weaknesses got massively buffed. Also, the removal of Ground-types means that Water is only super effective against Fire, so it's worse offensively as well as defensively.

Ice-types can't catch a break.

Avalugg may be Water-type but Water itself took a huge hit in this meta. Most other types lost weaknesses, but not only does Water retain its two weaknesses (now being tied with Steel for the most weaknesses) but those two weaknesses got massively buffed. Also, the removal of Ground-types means that Water is only super effective against Fire, so it's worse offensively as well as defensively.

Ice-types can't catch a break.
Thinking about it more yeah your right, at the very least it has a resitence other then it's own type.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 2)