SS OU The Crowning of the Warriors (The Crown Tundra OU)

Hiya everyone! I'm here with an update on my SS OU team. Before I go on, I just want to say I love The Crown Tundra. It brought some big changes to the game and more fun activities for all of us. Not to mention there were big challenges too. After completing the story line of the game, I've decided to give my team a bit of the buff to prepare for game-changers with the new Pokemon introduced, including the legendaries.

1603715268705.png

Regieleki @ Light Clay
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Sp. Atk / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Volt Switch
- Explosion
- Reflect
- Light Screen

As soon as I saw Regieleki, I so wanted to try it out. I mean c'mon, an Electric-type Regi! How cool is that!? Yeah, I know. I'm a sucker for Electric-types but have a look at just how awesome it looks and see if you can agree with me. Before I caught it, I predict it was going to have tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons and tons of Speed. I was correct. Little did I know that Regieleki has a total of 548. Five hundred, and forty, freakin' eight, Speed. The image below sums it up perfectly:
1603708038736.png

That makes it even dethrone Deoxys-S, originally the fastest Pokemon around! In that case, it'll have no problem handling Pokemon that have +1 or +2 Speed. Anyway, I'm pretty in awe at this point so lemme get back on topic here. *ahem*

The original moveset was going to be an offensive pivot set, relying on Volt Switch to retreat back in its Poke Ball. However, I thought about giving my team some defensive support. That's why it has max EVs in HP along with Reflect for physical defense and Light Screen for special defense. With screen support, it'll be easier for Garchomp and Volcarona to set up and sweep sweep sweep. You know what they say: Defense is the best offense.

Volt Switch as I said, switches it out after dealing a ton of damage and OHKOing Gyarados, Mantine and even Starmie thanks to Transistor and when its on the brink of collapse, Explosion's the move to get my opponent the Michael Bay vibe.

As it does not have any other move types, Ground-types and those who have Electric-type nullifying abilities such as Electivire and Zeraora stops it from scouting entirely. Trick Room teams are the bane of this Pokemon's existence once the dimensions are twisted. If there's one thing I don't want is to Regieleki to move as a snail's speed. Even with max HP and Reflect up it'll still be dealt heavy damage due to its' frail bulk so I've got to be careful when going up against other hard-hitters. Case in point, Dragapult and Landorus-T.

1603715381493.png

Urshifu-R @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Surging Strikes
- Aqua Jet
- U-Turn

Since the infamous Landorus-T will be returning as one of the most used Pokemon in the metagame, I've decided to build a counter against the rocky floating tiger, and I've got just the guy: Urshifu Rapid-Strike form! This is the best answer which can guarantee a win against it along with some others. Since Surging Strikes ALWAYS score critical hits when it attacks, it nullifies the effect of Intimidate. I chose him to have a Jolly nature and holding a Choice Scarf because I want it to out speed even Choice Scarf Landorus' so he can kick it in the face, telling it to "GET OUT!" in Gordon Ramsay style. Using this set makes him perfect as a revenge sweeper once one of my Pokemon faints. All in all, this is a 'bear-y' good Pokemon.

Close Combat is a definite choice for a Choice Scarf user, taking down the likes of Chansey, Ferrothorn at 60% HP, Snorlax, the Regi Trio and other opposing Urshifus. Surging Strikes as I explained is an anti-Intimidate move since critical hits aren't affected by it. Aqua Jet is to give it a top priority against other sweepers with low HP such as Shell Smash Cloyster and U-Turn for it to retreat.

Urshifu is a great Pokemon, but it can be completely walled by Water Absorb Jellicent, Primarina, Amoonguss and Gyarados. The poor Pokemon wouldn't do anything against them. Other weaknesses it has are burns and Trick room teams. Since it relies on revenge sweeping, these concerns can slow it down until it completely stops, making it difficult for my other team members depending on the opponent.

1603715490150.png

Garchomp @ Lum Berry
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Scale Shot
- Stone Edge
- Swords Dance

The king of the land sharks from the 4th generation is back along with its brutal strength. When it was announced that Garchomp's gonna make a return, I knew things were gonna get ugly once it arrives and learns Dragon Dance. But to my surprise, it doesn't. Why? Every other dragons learns Dragon Dance but not Garchomp. Probably because they knew it was gonna be broken if it does. Can't blame them. Anyway, using this Pokemon does take me take a trip down memory lane back during the Diamond and Pearl days. Did you know? Garchomp was considered too strong so it was classified as an uber. But now that there were many, MANY changes to today's metagame, it's back and on a feeding frenzy as a good-old physical sweeper! I chose Adamant over Jolly because I wanted it to give my opponent's a good thrashing. Plus, I've got 3 Speed+ Natures on my team already. So I didn't want to go too overboard on Speed. It's holding Lum Berry so that it gets another chance on sweeping entire teams without anything slowing it down.

Earthquake is a must for Garchomp. Without it, it wouldn't annihilate Zeraora, Electivire, Metagross, the Regi Trio, opposing Regielekis, Heatran and Tyranitar etc. I found that Scale Shot is a new move for Garchomp. After making contact, it raises Garchomp's Speed. That's another reason why I prefer Adamant over Jolly. I bet other Dragon-types such as Salamence, Dragonite and Regidrago are taking notes on this. The third move was a choice between Stone Edge against Charizards, opposing Volcaronas and Togekiss' and Fire Fang against Ferrothorn and Corviknight. Based on the differences on power and what Garchomp can take down, my eyes went to Stone Edge. Finally when it comes to physical sweeping, Swords Dance is a must for the predator of the Earth.

I found that Garchomp would have an easier time in this metagame now that Hidden Power is gone, but there are more threats that can counter it. Hard-hitting Ice and Fairy-types such as Cloyster, Hatterene and Togekiss along with those that learn those type of moves can send it packing. it's also another Pokemon that can fall victim against burn users. Sableye, Dusclops, Dusknoir and Galarian Corsola can slow it down after taking hits with ease. One thing I also need to be aware of is when Garchomp uses Scale Shot. The cost of defense makes it vulnerable to physical revenge sweepers such as Weavile and opposing Urshifus. Even a single drop can make a big difference.

1603715599157.png

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Moonblast
- Knock Off
- Stealth Rock
- Soft-Boiled

Clefable is a top pick in today's metagame and my opinion, it still is. It's very difficult to bring Clefable down to its' knees no matter how many times you hit it. With Magic Guard to block all additional damage along with utility support and recovery, this is a Pokemon you'll love to make friend with. This move set from the Isle of Armor team remains unchanged as I don't have any plans on making any modifications on it.

Moonblast is what Clefable needs to attack enemies. Dragon and Fighting-types such as Dragapult, Hawlucha, Galarian Zapdos, Salamence, opposing Urshifu and Dragonite shall have to think twice before facing it head on. Knock Off gets rid of Eviolite from the likes of Chansey, Dusclops, Porygon2 and Galarian Corsola. Since every team requires entry hazards to gain the advantage, Clefable knows Stealth Rock to bring me and my Pokemon to victory. Those who don't have Heavy-Duty and are weak to them will have a bad time. Lastly, Softboiled is for it to keep fighting.

Whenever there's a new place to explore, there are new threats as well. With the appearance of Registeel and Metagross, Clefable now has a harder time against Steel-type Pokemon. Not to mention it gets walled by them more. Skarmory, Ferrothorn and opposing Corviknight brushes what it brings to the table like brooms and big hitters such as Magnezone, Aggron, Galarian Slowbro and Galarian Slowking can whack it so it becomes a shooting star. It also has a difficult time facing offensive sweepers once their stats rose. As an utility user, it can be easily disrupted by Taunt and Trick. I've got to be careful not to let my teammate fall victim to any of these threats or it would give me a disadvantage.

1603715727838.png

Corviknight @ Shed Shell
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Brave Bird
- Body Press
- Roost
- Defog

Corviknight (or should I say Skarmory 2.0) is still the best partner for Clefable in my opinion as it's the Pokemon that gets rid of opposing entry hazards and take hits well from enemies. This loyal team member is the second Pokemon that has its moveset unchanged, but it never lets me and my friends down. It acts like a flying taxi to passengers and it acts like an honorary gladiator...bird. I let it hold Shed Shell because I don't want it to be caught in an electrifying bird cage by Magnezone's Magnet Pull. Plus, it helps Garchomp once its sent out. I can't think of anything else that can replace Corviknight when it comes to teambuilding so far.

Brave Bird makes it fly high and dive into Fighting and Grass-types such as Venusaur, Virizion, Conkeldurr, and again, opposing Urshifu and Galarian Zapdos. (Thank goodness it doesn't learn an Electric-type move). Since it has great defense, Body Press handles the likes of Bisharp and Tyranitar. Roost to keep on fighting and Defog to eliminate hazards.

Corviknight can escape Magnet Pull and Arena Trap users with Shed Shell, but it doesn't without it. Once the item's knocked off, it's gonna be a fried chicken. That I DON'T want to happen. Volt Switch users and Sunny Day team can also give Corviknight a run for its money as it can be difficult for my other team members to resist them. Well, Garchomp stops Volt Switch but can have trouble with Chlorophyll Venusaur. Lastly, Taunt and Trick disrupts its team support strategy.

1603715838934.png

Volcarona @ Heavy-Duty Boots
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 4 Def / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Psychic
- Quiver Dance

The last team member I haven't introduced yet is none other than the fiery Volcarona! The Unova pseudo-legendary who brings fear to those who have low special defense. This is the third team member that has its move unchanged since the Isle of Armor days as I think this is the best one yet. Don't underestimate this majestic moth as it can flush out deadly attacks. It's gotten a lot better thanks to Heavy-Duty Boots as it makes it completely immune to entry hazards. Gosh, I love this one so much.

First things first, Fiery Dance over Fire Blast? Well, it's just that using Fiery Dance can give it a chance to raise its special attack once it hits, making Volcarona a more powerful foe to many. Fire Blast is an option for extra raw power, but it does have a chance of missing and doesn't have as much PP as Fiery Dance. But I can change Fiery Dance to Fire Blast if updates are required. Bug Buzz is to deafen Psychic and Dark-types and Psychic to handle the likes of Gengar, Virizion, Venusaur and even Terrakion, Galarian Zapdos, Hawlucha and opposing Urshifu-R.

Come to think of it, I think Volcarona's the Pokemon that will have difficulty with the changes the most now that the legendary birds have joined the party. All three of them can swat it out of the sky. Gyarados, Mantine, Seismitoad, Quagsire, Tapu Fini, Primarina, Gigalith, Coalossal and Dragapult also play the same threat role once Volcarona's on the field. But the worst matchup for this team member is Heatran. Heatran nullifies Fiery Dance/Fire Blast and resists everything else since Hidden Power's gone. When it comes to team strategy, I have to take down Heatran as soon as possible so that Volcarona can get a clean sweep if necessary.

Pokepaste version:
https://pokepast.es/59895a4223324753

- TEAM OVERVIEW -

I will say that this team has got great potential, but I feel like there's still work that needs to be done. The problem is where to start. I've got an anti-Landorus user, I've team support, I've got sweepers. However, I still feel this team itself can become stronger. It doesn't mean this team's bad or anything. Far from it. All of it comes down to getting ready to take on anything. Some things I can point out is this team can have a difficult time against Sun, Rain and Trick Room teams as this team presents not many resistances from them and considering the fact that 3 Pokemon have a speedy nature. Another defensive Pokemon could work but that's just me. But no matter what, I consider this team full of strong warrior.

- CONCLUSION -

And that's the team. So far, it's on the right track but what do you think of the team? Are there any improvements I need to the team in order to find better results? Do you like the explanations I wrote for each and every Pokemon with my informal language techniques? Actually, scratch that last part. Please let me know if there are any changes I need to make. Your feedback is greatly appreciated.

Have a nice day and happy battling! Hope you've enjoyed The Crown Tundra as much as I did! ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)