The Dark Knight Rises (spoilers itt)

TheValkyries

proudly reppin' 2 superbowl wins since DEFLATEGATE
some hero can you at least keep your trolling limited to the NFL thread
Heh.

MY ONION ON THIS FILM: As enjoyable and good as TDK for completely different reasons. Instead of the clash of personalities, we got a lot of growth of personality, instead of villainy accentuated by personality we got villainy defined by its effectiveness.

If I had to chose which one I liked more, I'd say this one, but that may be because it's fresher, had a lot of fan service, and had a more satisfying conclusion.

Plot twist.

The entire Dark Knight series isn't real. Mal is performing Inception on Bruce to get back with her family, and the team constructs a nightmare fantasy dreamscape where Bruce is a vigilante superhero who has three distinct self-realizations over the course of a decade in the dream - translating to anywhere from several days to a few minutes, depending on how deeply nested Gotham is in the series of dreams.

Arthur is Blake, Eames is Bane, Fischer is Scarecrow, and Mal is Talia al Ghul, and their goal is completely unrecognizable because I have no idea how to make this alternate universe make sense. Plus the fact that Mal and Eames end up dying in Gotham anyway.

Bad script. Reliance on cliches, contrivances. Lot of plot holes. The ending was too hollywood for me, which is obviously subjective, but still.

To me, it felt like Nolan said "after TDK, we can pretty much make any movie, and it will still make a billion dollars." It felt like they just phoned this one in.

An example being the time bomb. So cliche, been done SO many times before, really unoriginal, I knew exactly what was going to happen 30 min into the movie (Batman would fly the bomb into the ocean)
My thoughts exactly. To add onto the list:

-Way too many last minute saves. Tank cannon about to blow up police, bat swoops in to disable. Robin about to die, Batman comes to the rescue. Police about to die, Batman comes to rescue. Ad infinitum.
-Horrendous combat sequences. Batman and Bane are just throwing horrendously over-telegraphed haymakers at each other and exchanging blows back and forth. And somehow unarmed policemen are able to charge in a mass towards a line of machine guns without being mercilessly mowed down.
-Technical gap 1. Why can the Bat outrun missiles? The bat is moving maybe 60 MPH through the city buildings. Are you really telling me that rocket propelled missiles are also going roughly 60 MPH?
-Technical gap 2. The bomb should have a blast radius of 6 miles. Batman flies away on his helicopter with less than 1 minute remaining. How does his boxy helicopter accelerate for an average velocity of 360 mph?

verbatim

[PLACEHOLDER]
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderatoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
You can tell a movie's good when most of the complaints are technical inconsistencies

There's also the issue of the wonderful magic grenades the batpod carries. You can't pack enough explosives to create what might as well of been a solid wall ten ft.+ deep into a single grenade.

With that being said, its nowhere near as bad as the arrow that capsized an aircraft carrier in the Avengers.

More small things: deep in that well, when the prisoners try to take the leap to freedom, why do they all jump from stance? They have about a meter on that ledge, a small run can get them a long way. Also, how does Bruce Wayne get back into Gotham (after he escapes the pit) when the whole city is on lockdown? The army isn't allowed in, let go Batman.

-Technical gap 1. Why can the Bat outrun missiles? The bat is moving maybe 60 MPH through the city buildings. Are you really telling me that rocket propelled missiles are also going roughly 60 MPH?
The bat was able to easily outrun motorcycles, I don't think it was only capable of 60 MPH..

-Technical gap 2. The bomb should have a blast radius of 6 miles. Batman flies away on his helicopter with less than 1 minute remaining. How does his boxy helicopter accelerate for an average velocity of 360 mph?
Bomb underwater = smaller blast radius, one would assume.

Also, how does Bruce Wayne get back into Gotham (after he escapes the pit) when the whole city is on lockdown? The army isn't allowed in, let go Batman.
Just something you have to use your imagination on. If you follow the timeline of the movie through the days on the TV and the days Fox says are left until the bomb explodes, it took Bruce roughly 20 days to get from the Pit to when he met Selina saving that kid.

It's certainly not implausible for Batman to get back to Gotham in 20 days. Remember, in Begins, he had thrown his wallet and identity away and was able to travel around the world, I'm sure he could do it again.

Or, you can hope that a smart billionaire doesn't keep all his money in a single bank account, and had some cash to travel really close to Gotham.

As for how he got back? Well, I doubt the armies could block EVERY entrance to the city. If so, taking them out shouldn't be a problem. For all we know Batman could have even walked on the "Deadly" ice, as in Begins he trained extensively over thin ice and most likely knows how to walk on it.

Also on an unrelated note, I found these and thought they were pretty hilarious:

This was too good to not be shared:
[youtube]jJ5l5ls0hP4[/youtube]

They actually were able to get the cast to look REALLY close to actual movie version.

Deck Knight

Blast Off At The Speed Of Light! That's Right!
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
My favorite part of the film is when Deck Knight beat Bane in a nationally televised debate on the current human rights policies of our government. It really blew me away (edit: really didn't mean to make such a terrible bomb pun, sorry about that).
I. AM. BATMAN!

I have only an intermediate knowledge of the series based on watching The Animated Series (epic) in the 90's and various romps on TVTropes and Wikipedia.

Suffice it to say I already knew about Bane's backstory and character. Tom Hardy did a very good job, Bane may be a brute but he's also incredibly intelligent and classically educated. I was actually hoping they'd have Bane speak in a foreign language in the opening scene or a flashback since Bane is one of the deeper Batman villians.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit. I thought the characters were well executed, especially Catwoman. Doesn't hurt that Anne Hathaway is HOT, you lucky bastard, Batman.

As far as Batman getting back in the city? Ummm, he's Batman! Sneaking into places is kind of his thing. I don't worry too much about Batman's weaponry, he gets the job done. And I doubt Bane is dead. In great pain, but probably not dead.

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
One thing to think about with the death of Bruce Wayne and Batman is that it might look suspicious but many other people probably also died in the whole Gotham City takeover, so it could probably easily been covered up. That plane magazine one cracked me up, especially considering Bane just gets one of his guys to just die in the plane to help make the event look more plausible.

Since we all know a Batman reboot will happen in the next 5 years I think it's safe to say the next film just about needs to accept some of the more magical or unrealistic elements of the series, because I'd hate to just see some carbon copy that is sort of like Batman Begins. The less or an origin story it is too the better.

One thing to think about with the death of Bruce Wayne and Batman is that it might look suspicious but many other people probably also died in the whole Gotham City takeover, so it could probably easily been covered up. That plane magazine one cracked me up, especially considering Bane just gets one of his guys to just die in the plane to help make the event look more plausible.

Since we all know a Batman reboot will happen in the next 5 years I think it's safe to say the next film just about needs to accept some of the more magical or unrealistic elements of the series, because I'd hate to just see some carbon copy that is sort of like Batman Begins. The less or an origin story it is too the better.
What are you talking about in the first part of your post? Kinda confused lol what magazine?

On your second part, I bet they will make the reboot more fantastical and introduce villains like mr freeze, killer croc, etc. and make it so Batman will be able to fit into the justice league.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Sorry if I'm a little late to the discussion here, but I only saw the film tonight. Bear with me.

I really enjoyed the film. It was good, exciting, had nice visuals and a few enjoyable plot twists. I'm not the type to pick apart acting, plot or background music, I enjoy almost every movie I see and do not consider myself a hobby film critic.

I am, however, a hobby film sceptic. Some of the macguffins really annoyed me.

For a start, the nuclear bomb. Said to be about five megatons. On ground level, that would be enough to level things in a three-block wide radius, but not enough to devastate an entire city. After all, with a ground detonation, half of the released energy is sent into the ground. Pretty much all of the other half is sent skyward. Only the "equator" of the fireball is actually hitting stuff, and the blast energy diminishes rather quickly (energy input per square unit at a distance of r from ground zero is proportional to the inverse cube of r, which is a number that decreases rapidly as r grows. Especially when there is stuff like buildings in the way). There's a reason why nuclear bombs are detonated far above ground when used in warfare.

Also, if you don't want a nuclear bomb to explode, blow it up. Yes, that's right. For a nuclear reaction to take place, quite a few things have to go exactly right. Blow it up, and you mess with all the components. It will be a radioactive mess, a weapon in its own right (not as much with fusion elements, though. Hydrogen generally isn't that radioactive), but not a city-shattering fireball.

Then you have the Army. Oh, my. Best to begin with their introduction scene, when their spearhead force crossing the bridge consists of Humvees and M109 Paladin self-propelled howitzers. Why the heck do they want to bring artillery into Gotham, and why send them in on the front line? I guess Nolan went to the nearest military based and asked to borrow some equipment. They gave him Paladins, seeing as they sort of look like tanks (you know, apart from the fact that the turret is placed at the rear of the vehicle). I guess artillery could be somewhat useful to the army in the event that the bad guys all gathered out in the open together, but they could have been placed at the other side of the river. After all, with a range of more than 30 kilometres, they would cover most of the city from there anyway.

Then later, they send in the most useless Spec-Ops team ever. When a firefight breaks out, they stand out in the open looking cluelessly for any shooters, who mow them down anyway. Why the entire team goes to see Gordon at the same time isn't very well explained.

Even later, Bruce/Batman enters Gotham, and even brings a nice suit to wear, suggesting the trip wasn't very demanding. He never tells the authorities, or any other military Spec Force about the route he takes.

Going away from the military, but staying in the world of weapons, we have a look at the guns of the Batcycle. Apparently, it fires stuff powerful enough to not only punch a hole in a wall made of cars, but making about one third of the cars vanish without a trace as well. All without the shock wave (or, you know, splinters) killing the Cat either, who was standing a mere thirty metres away. When used against Bane, the rockets/grenades/bullets don't explode immediately, nor do they penetrate his body, they simply drag him across the room.

Batman's belt buckle makes the lights in the sewers go out. Except not really, a few of them still shine dimly in the supposed "darkness".

At the beginning of the Dark Knight, Bruce demonstrates a handy set of spring-loaded shuriken hidden in his suit. Those are nowhere to be seen in the fights with Bane.

Anti-air missiles apparently only go as fast as a Bat helicopter (what the heck were those supposed to be used against, seeing as they can barely outrun cars?). In return, the tiny missiles have enough fuel to fly, with several directional changes, for about a minute. A real-life Javelin missile, twice their size, has enough fuel to fly for 15 seconds. During those 15 seconds, the missile achieves a velocity of around 1000 km/h. It can very well be used against helicopters.

Then the police brawl scene. A gang of policemen armed with fists take on a group of mobs armed with assault rifles. Instead of going for a particularly bloody carnage, which few if any policemen would have survived, and at no risk to the mobs, they all break out in a fistfight.

Bane and his gang don't want the reactor core to be reconnected to the reactor, so their evil city-destroying plan can fail. Yet, they don't even consider destroying or even disabling the reactor, before five minutes before the bomb is to go off. They had five months, and all the weapons and manpower they could possibly want. Yet, they keep the reactor, the only thing capable of foiling their plan, completely unscathed until the last possible moment.

Character mistakes can be forgiven, though. After all, we can't expect reasonable adults to know that spreading your weight over an as large area as possible is the best way to avoid breaking the ice you walk on. Had they laid down on their stomachs and crawled, they would have been likely to make it across.

The importance of horizontal beams to the structural integrity of a bridge also isn't adressed. One would think that part of the bridge they blew out only was there to keep the road together.

The successors to the Batmobile also appear to be less sturdy than their eight year-older ancestor.

Credits for not flipping trailers, though. And I'm not even going to mention the constant one-on-one fighting, where everybody line up to take their turn against Batman/Catwoman.

It is a good movie, but what happens to the joker??

My girlfriend almost cry at the end of the movie LOL

Audiosurfer

I'd rather be sleeping
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
It is a good movie, but what happens to the joker??
This so much. When they said it'd been 8 years I was like "the joker would've definitely stirred some stuff up in 8 years". I get Heath Ledger died and all but it would've still been cool to hear what he'd been up to. Regardless, awesome movie. Bane's voice was the topic of many jokes that night, and Anne Hathaway looked so good in a Catwoman costume. Also the pit chant was great. My friend and I would do that at random for a good week after me seeing it. So yeah. I don't know much about the technical inconsistencies being pointed out or stuff like that (My exposure to Batman is really limited to the movies, various CN cartoons and whatever I could find out about the Joker from reading the DC wiki about him, so I'm not really qualified to speak on the matter) but it was still an enjoyable movie regardless.

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Do people not have that suspension of disbelief anymore when they step into a movie and just get emerged into the story?

Why is everything so analytical now :c

Matthew

I love weather; Sun for days
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Bitchass RBG needing to realize that there weren't that many in the movie aside from the ending.

We're not talking about Troll or The Room here (though The Room is so awesome).

I agree that all of them were in the ending, but it was just too many for me to appreciate it as a good ending.

And darn right The Room is awesome, but for completely different reasons lol.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)