XY LC The End of an Era

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
THE END OF AN ERA

Intro
Hello all, Glass here with an LC RMT! Being the tier I'm most known for playing, it's a wonder that I've never done an RMT for it. Well, since Missy's banishment from LC, it's about time I retired this team. So what better way to go out than an RMT?
Team Backstory
When the LC open's first round came about, I was ecstatic to see who my opponent was for round one. I was expecting to fight nubs r1 and slowly progress through tougher and tougher opponents. But as luck would have it, I didn't face a nub. I was matched up vs Blarajan, the LC tier leader, and one of the best players i know. After 10 minutes of trying and failing to convince myself it was all a dream and that there was some sort of mistake, I decided to prepare. All of my other teams' luster had faded from shifts in the FletchDreavus meta, and I needed something new and good, fast. After trying to come up with something super new and anti-meta for a couple of days, i realized it was 2 days before our scheduled match. I threw everything super crazy and untested outside the window, and decided to stick to the standard as crap basics I knew could give me a shot at winning, but adding my own little twists here and there. And this is the team that resulted.

*sigh* kicking (Abra) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
Level: 5
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 76 HP / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

Sash Abra is definitely one of the best pokemon in LC, acting as my panic button, offensive support, wallbreaker, and a secondary revenge killer. This variant of Abra, unlike the Life Orb Version which i only find has much use versus balance and stall, is able to kill weaker offensive threats without fear of being OHKO'd due to magic guard and Focus Sash, and is not instantly revenge killed/pursuit trapped by any mon if you keep the sash intact like you should. Knock Off is great on Focus Sash Abra just for the fact that it can neuter it's own counters, and help make the way for other mons like Misdreavus to sweep a ton easier. Psychic is the Obligatory STAB move, 2HKO'ing or OHKO'ing a majority of the unresisted metagame, especially after knock off. Dazzling Gleam was chosen over Hidden Power Fighting due to the fact that my team has pretty big problems with vullaby, and Dazzling gleam 2HKO's unsuspecting vullabies with a bit of prior damage or after it has been knocked off. Shadow Ball is for missy and the assorted other psychic and ghost types, and it has very good neutral coverage alongside Dazzling Gleam. Any setup sweeper my team has trouble with is usually taken out by this because it kills most of them after a bit of prior damage.

ghosting (Misdreavus) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

When people think of dangerous Misdreavus sets, SubNP, Life orb 3 Attacks+Destiny Bond, and NP Taunt all come to mind. The rather overlooked set that I feel people don't take into account as much as the other sets that makes it one of, if not the most dangerous of them all, is TrickSpecs+NP. This misdreavus set can do so many things depending on the matchup it has. Usually used to bust holes early game with it's attacking moves, Trick to disrupt midgame, and Nasty Plot to capitalize on the switches trick can force, Misdreavus is very versatile and perfoms very well in tandem with Knock Off support from Abra, Pawniard, and the upcoming Mienfoo. I chose perfect neutral coverage over something like dazzling gleam to help me have an easier time after tricking possible Pawniards switching in.

dark stealing (Pawniard) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Brick Break

This is the standard Choice Scarf Pawniard, doing what it does best. Trapping/severely weakening opposing mons, especially misdreavus, who would normally give my team a bit of trouble. Pawniard also uses mienfoo and other fighters as knock off sponges, which in turn allows Abra's Psychic to OHKO even the bulkiest variants. Pawniard also puts big dents in offensive teams, usually just spamming knock off to lessen the minimal bulk these teams have even further, or strip them of heir power through Life Orb/Choice Items. Iron Head is there to act as a secondary STAB and also comes in clutch when you need those 2 extra skilled flinches to save you the game ;_;. Brack break is used over something like sucker punch or psycho cut to act as a countermeasure to things like Weakened DD Scraggy and SD Pawniard.

grass poisoning (Foongus) @ Eviolite
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

This is where my relatively offensive team gains its bulk. Foongus is by and far one of the best Pivots in LC, having a fantastic set of resistances, a great movepool, and all of this supported by the amaxing ability Regenerator. Used as my main answer to fighters, drilbur and tirtouga who were all problematic to my team, this mon far exceeded my expectations. the moveset is standard bar HP Fire which is used specifically for Ferroseed, as I cannot afford to give that thing a free switch-in. Hazards annoy my team a lot, and fire still hits pawniard Super-Effectively, so I tried it out and it worked like a charm. The rest of the moves and EVs are standard fare, Spore is great for crippling switch-ins to my threats allowing them to sweep easier later on in the match.

water shocking (Chinchou) @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 76 HP / 212 Def / 148 SpD / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Chinchou acts as a momentum-grabber, a fletchling counter, firespam counter, and a great bulky pivot. Fantastic synergy with foongus, as well as a good lure for opposing foongus to get smacked by abra by hopping out with it's slow volt switch is nice too. Chinchou is generally the status sponge of the team ber for things that possibly have toxic or poison moves, in which the role hops to foongus. I needed a fletchling counter with reliable recovery, and archen was crippled by burns and wild charges from ponyta, larvesta, and other bulky fire types. I chose rest-talk dual stab as this team cannot afford to let drilbur get up an SD with only an electric type move, or let croagunk get off huge damage with gunk shot with only a water move. The EVs here allow Chinchou to survive both drilbur and Archen's earthquakes and retaliate back with Scald to kill/severely weaken them for the remainder of the match.

fightin (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Mienfoo serves as the offensive pivot off the three, and rounds out the last necessary threats that needed covering, those being tirtouga, omanyte, and SD Pawniard. I run a slow Taunt mienfoo purely for the fact that it can stop setup from any slower mons while also retaining it's nice bulk which is necesary for my team, and prevents many layers of hazards from being stacked by mons such as ferroseed and other slow rocks/spikes setters. Mienfoo also provides knock off support for my team, usually baiting in Vullaby and spritzee, two mons my team would otherwise have a bit of trouble with, which once again allows Missy, Pawn and abra to straight up demolish these weakened mons

Conclusion
This team eventually ended up getting me the victory over Blara 2-1, and it has beaten multiple other notable people who i tested versus, such as Champion Fizz, Corporal Levi, and some others. As the missy era comes to an end, it's saddening to see one of my favorite, and best teams go. Shoutout to the Little Cup room, Corporal Levi , and all my boys on IRC for predicting me to lose supporting me the whole way and helping me perfect this awesome team.

*sigh* kicking (Abra) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 76 HP / 236 SpA / 196 Spe
Timid Nature
- Knock Off
- Psychic
- Dazzling Gleam
- Shadow Ball

dark stealing (Pawniard) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 236 Atk / 36 Def / 36 SpD / 196 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Iron Head
- Pursuit
- Brick Break

water shocking (Chinchou) @ Eviolite
Ability: Volt Absorb
EVs: 156 HP / 212 Def / 68 SpA / 60 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Scald
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

grass poisoning (Foongus) @ Eviolite
EVs: 124 HP / 156 Def / 156 SpD
Bold Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Spore
- Giga Drain
- Sludge Bomb

ghosting (Misdreavus) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe
Timid Nature
- Trick
- Nasty Plot
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fighting]

fightin (Mienfoo) @ Eviolite
EVs: 156 HP / 196 Def / 116 SpD
Careful Nature
- Taunt
- Drain Punch
- Knock Off
- U-turn

Last edited:

Corporal Levi

ninjadog of the decade
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
Ghostglaceon !!
I gave you most of my suggestions yesterday while we were working on it, and as I mentioned then, I'm really impressed by the team. With that being said, there are a couple of things I didn't catch yesterday that I'd like to go over now.

Firstly, I think the standard spread of 76 HP / 212 Def / 148 SpD / 60 Spe would be better on Chinchou. As it is, Abra has a good chance of 2HKOing with Psychic without Stealth Rock and is guaranteed with, Life Orb Misdreavus usually 2HKOs with Shadow Ball without Stealth Rock, and Magnemite's Hidden Power Ground 2HKOs more often than not. With the specially bulkier spread, Abra's Psychic and Magnemite's Hidden Power Ground hardly ever 2HKO even with Stealth Rock, and Life Orb Misdreavus's Shadow Ball usually doesn't 2HKO without Stealth Rock, turning Chinchou into a better mixed pivot.

I feel as if a spread of 196 Def / 36 SpD / 236 Spe with a Jolly nature would be better for Tauntfoo. As it is, Dwebble can simply outspeed and set up hazards then, so maximum speed is necessary to prevent this.
However, if you simply lead with Pawniard, Abra, or Chinchou with the updated EV spread (min SpA Chinchou's Volt Switch only pops Berry Juice 12.1% of the time), Dwebble will usually only be limited to Stealth Rock, which isn't too detrimental for your team. This allows the use of a defensive Mienfoo set. In this case, you would want to keep your current EVs and nature, and Taunt should be replaced. Acrobatics is an option to help deal with opposing Fighting-types, which Foongus alone might not always be enough for. Stone Edge is also an option to nail Larvesta, Archen, and Ponyta, although Chinchou usually suffices for Ponyta.

That's all I have, though. This is a great team n.n

Last edited:

chimp

Go Bananas
is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnus
Glass this is a great team!

I just have one question, for your Foongus' EVs, you have 156 SpD, which only brings it to 13, when it can easily use the rest of the EVs to hit 14. I dont know, I might be missing something though.

edit: Levi cleared it up for me. I just misread my own Foongus set lol im dumb

Last edited:

GlassGlaceon

My heart has now been set on love
Thanks for the rate, Levi! I rushed the EVs on chou, so I will be changing those. I still like Slow Tauntfoo mainly for the fact that it allows foo to perform two jobs at once relatively well, and as you said, dwebble is handled pretty easily by other mons, so taunt is mainly just for slower mons with status/setup that annoy me, which came into play in game 3 vs Blara, as I needed my mienfoo healthy. If i replaced it, he could have gotten up a shell smash w/ Tirt and possibly flinched me w/ waterfall, so it helped me out of luck winning him back the game. :] It is a very odd set, I will admit, but it worked so I'll be keeping that. If any of you out there are still skeptical about the set, run Stone Edge if anything in it's place to ease the matchup v vullaby, as chinchou reliably beats the fire-types that trouble this team. :]

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)