The Eve of Eevee Tournament! FINALS - Won by Sidfrid!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nexus

Forever the Recusant
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Approved by many wifi mods, including myself.
-----------------

The Eve of Eevee Tournament!

Okay, let's be frank. Who doesn't like at least one of Eevee or its evolution? Many of us have a wet appetite after seeing Japan get the Eevee cup so let's experiment with a tournament in the very same rule set!

-----------------

Rules:
  • 5th Gen flat battles, Rotation, bring six pick four, Level 50.
  • Species Clause: A Player may not have two of the same Pokemon on their team.
  • Item Clause: A Player may not have the same item on two or more of his or her Pokemon
  • Self-KO Clause: If a player’s last Pokemon faints due to Explosion, sort of recoil, or faints after using Destiny Bond and brings down the opponent’s last Pokemon, the last Pokemon of those two to faint wins.
  • Please use legitimate Pokemon if possible.
    • Need help getting your Pokemon? Ask one of the fellows here!
    • For those of you who would like to enter the tournament with legal hacks, you absolutely must make sure they are completely battle legal. This includes but is not limited to level / movepool / IV / Pokeball restraints. Making your Pokemon battle legal is entirely your burden; do not ask for assistance here.
    • If your opponent reports you using illegal hacks, you will be disqualified and likely blacklisted!
  • Any 5th gen game may be used.
  • Wonder Launcher is set to OFF.
Please note that in the style of a GBU tournement, the Sleep and Evasion Clauses are OFF.

Banlists:
  • Pokemon: All Pokemon except Eevee, Vaporeon, Jolteon, Flareon, Espeon, Umbreon, Glaceon, and Leafeon are banned
  • Items: NO SOUL DEW ALLOWED NO SOUL DEW ALLOWED NO SOUL DEW ALLOWED

-----------------

Pairings:

Wild Eep: 1679 1781 6839 vs Sidfrid: 0862 5375 8993

Finals Battle Video: 82-69459-55190

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
I lost to Sidfrid in a great game. Congratulations, Sidfrid!

Now that the tournament's over, how did you all feel about the metagame? What worked, what didn't work, etc.? I'll post my own views on the matter shortly.

My team was:

Vaporeon (F) @ Mystic Water
Trait: Water Absorb
Level: 50
EVs: 252 Def / 158 HP / 100 SAtk
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Surf
- Signal Beam
- Wish
- Protect

Best wish support in the game. The combination of bulk and power (and @ Mystic Water) was meant to be a hard stop for anyone foolish enough to run Eevee. Signal Beam is conservative coverage move, hitting water resists decently (but not as good as HP Grass vs Vaporeon or Ice Beam vs Leafeon).

Jolteon (M) @ Life Orb
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 252 Spd / 248 SAtk / 6 HP / 4 Def
Timid Nature
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef / 2 Atk
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam -> Fake Tears
- Hidden Power [Ground]
- Protect

Jolteon's the fastest thing alive in this meta, and it only makes sense to load it with speed. Switching Signal Beam to Fake Tears was a response to losing to Curse Umbreon vs. GC7. It definitely makes Umbreon mortal. Protect is there to facilitate wishpassing, which is very good in rotation battles.

Flareon (M) @ Chilan Berry
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 Atk / 238 HP / 20 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Double-Edge
- Superpower
- Fire Blast
- Protect

This is NOT a Guts Flareon. For the kind of team I wanted to use, the timer the Toxic poison sets for Flareon is not my cup of tea. Instead I use a Chilan Berry to make it an even harder stop vs. Leafeon and Eevee. Fire Blast off Adamant is actually stronger than Fire Fang, which is sad news indeed. It was my most commonly used move, so I wonder how much merit there would have been for Modest Flareon.

Espeon (F) @ Light Clay
Trait: Synchronize
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 6 Def
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Light Screen
- Reflect

Blah blah standard dual screen Espeon. Psychic > Psyshock in order to take advantage of Fake Tears.

Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 6 Def
Sassy Nature
IVs: 0 Spd
- Payback
- Curse
- Wish
- Protect

SpDef Curse Umbreon is a monster. It can set up even in the face of special attackers firing super effective Signal Beams at it. This moveset is as tight as it gets, and I've won every match I used it and lost every match when I didn't. You'd think I'd have learned after the first time.

Glaceon (F) @ Expert Belt
Trait: Snow Cloak
EVs: 252 SAtk / 228 HP / 30 Spd
Modest Nature
IVs: 30 Def / 30 SDef / 30 Spd / 2 Atk
- Ice Beam
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Mirror Coat -> Fake Tears

Never used this thing. Brought it R1 (take 2) but it never appeared. It was supposed to be anti-Leafeon with Ice Beam (and coverage for Espeon/Umbreon as well as other Glaceon and Flareon in a pinch). I love Mirror Coat (and saw a Japanese vid in which Mirror Coat scored three knockouts) but I needed Fake Tears insurance to make sure Umbreon couldn't stop me again.

Confirming. That was an epic, haxy and strange moveset on jolteon, good game!
There's a warstory coming your way!

Now for the team:

Jolteon (M) @ Choice Specs
Trait: Volt Absorb
EVs: 4 HP / 4 Def / 248 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest (+SAtk , -Atk)
IVs: 30 SAtk / 30 SDef /
- Thunder
- Thunderbolt
- Signal Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Standard Specs Jolteon Set, Jolteon mission on the team is to hit hard before Espeon put on the screens, but a Choice item in Rotation Battles din't proved as useful as I think. But all in all Jolteon always got the job done. I put up both Thunder and Thunderbolt in case someone used manual rain, din't happen.

Espeon (M) @ Light Clay
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Def / 252 Spd
Timid (+Spd, -Atk)
- Psychic
- Signal Beam
- Light Screen
- Reflect

The fact that Wild Eep and me was using almost the same Espeon only difference being the EV's make clear that this Espeon is in fact standard. The speed EV's make it the second fastest pokemon and can put on the screens before any harm happens to the team. To be honest I really don't remember why I put those 12 Defense EV's.... survive a specific hit?, maybe.

Leafeon (M) @ Sitrus Berry
Trait: Chlorophyll
EVs: 84 HP / 252 SAtk / 172 Spd /
Jolly (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Return
- X-Scissor
- Leaf Blade
- Sword Dance

The second biggest treath in the metagame, after a single boost it can take down a whole team by himself having perfect coverage and hitting supereffective half the tier. This was surely a force to recognize, under the sun it became impossible to revange kill and the Sitrus Berry let me recklessly set up on almost any foe, even Flareon got obliterated by his might. But like in OU the sun is his life, out of the sun Choice Specs Jolteon OHKO it with Signal Beam and without the SD boost a mixed Flareon OHKO it with Flamethrower.

Umbreon (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 244 HP / 12 Atk / 252 SDef
Careful (+SDef, -Atk)
IVs: 29 Spd
- Rest
- Payback
- Heal Bell
- Sleep Talk

THE special wall, status absorber, cleric, status bouncer, status healer, the roles Umbreon can have in my team make it almost a neccesity.... did you read "almost"?. At the start of the Tournament it was foresaw that this gonna be a heavy statusing metagame, nothing more far of the truth. Fearing of Flareon Gust activating by Toxic, Jolteon absorbing Thunder Wave and Espeon bouncing back any status to the user, no one tryed even once a status move. This one rested in the Bench the whole tour.

Vaporeon (M) @ Wacan Berry
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SDef / 4 Spd
Bold (+Def, -Atk)
- Wish
- Scald
- Heal Bell
- Signal Beam

The Wish passer and all-around wall of my team, his only fearing was Jolteon and that was half solved by the Wacan Berry. He also served as a panic button against a rampant Flareon, Heal Bell was as useless as Umbreon but Vaporeon reedemed himself with Signal Beam.

Flareon (M) @ Cheri Berry
Trait: Guts
EVs: 84 HP / 212 Atk / 44 SAtk / 164 SDef / 4 Spd
Lonely (+Atk, -Def)
- Facade
- Work Up
- Superpower
- Flamethrower

Ok, now the star of the show, strange Flareon to say the least, first the item, Why would you not like a status on a pokemon with Guts?, well I sure like status but no paralysis, I din't want to be revange killed by Umbreon or Glaceon. The EV's was designed to OHKO Umbreon with Gust activated or with a +1 from Work Up, OHKO Leafeon at +1 SAtk, and sure outspeed other Flareon who din't invest in Speed. I choosed Work Up because it gave me +1 Atk and +1 SAtk powering up both of my main move and confusing my opponent about which Flareon set I was using before is to late. About the nature the only Physical attackers was Leafeon, Eevee and Umbreon, in that same order of dangerous, but he resist Leafeon STAB and X-Sccisor, Choice Band Adaptabilty Eevee was good just on paper, and Umbreom needs two turns of setup to 2HKO me While I just need one turn to OHKO him, so I din't worried for physical bulk.

Wild Eep

pet pet pet
is a Forum Moderatoris a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnus
Here are more videos for you!

Round 1 vs. GC7: 47-20617-87912
Round 1 vs. Xeno598: 96-00899-71457
Round 2 vs. voodoo pimp: 84-09866-20465
Round 3 vs. Age of Kings: 66-52220-94266

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)