The Everything NCAA Basketball Thread - 2019-20 Season

WaterBomb

Two kids no brane
is a Forum Moderatoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hello all, welcome to this year's college basketball thread. Here you can discuss everything from AP Polls to NBA draft prospects to game results to March Madness. As always let's keep things civil and have some fruitful conversation!

Let's start the thread with some discussion of the preseason AP Poll:

Screenshot_20191028-190856.png

How does everyone feel about the list? Any surprises? Snubs? Have at it

Tranquility

If I can stop one heart from breaking
is a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
One interesting thing to keep an eye on this year will be the success of non perennial powers as aside from the top 4 they are everywhere on the poll. Teams such as Florida and Maryland who return much of their cores from last years will be fun to watch along with Seton Hall under potential Player of the Year Myles Powell. Some teams from this said category that could fly under the radar are Auburn and Baylor, with some solid coaching and rosters that could make them some solid contenders.

Overrated

7. Maryland -While a talented roster with plenty of upside in Cowell and Jalen Smith, they don't appear to have something that sticks them out as a potential threat or have any signs of getting better under an inconsistent Turgeon.

14. Memphis - This is subject to change, but a lot of questions on this roster could create some problems early on for this team, or they become 2015 Kentucky.

Underrated

13. Texas Tech- Beard in just his fourth year at Texas Tech has transformed the program into a powerhouse and shows no sign of stopping. While it might be ugly early on, this team will be a defensive power as always and has the potential to have an even better offense than last year.

23. Purdue - Losing much of his crew from his elite 8 team, Painter will rely on emerging star Nojil Eastern for the load this year. If he can develop a more consistent shot and team shooting in general, another deep run is not out of the question.

This season will be one of the more fun ones in a while, as there will be plenty of upsets, stories, and a potential power or two birthed right before our eyes.

Just remember, Go Green.

Maryland isn’t overrated last year we got robbed in the damn tournament by shitty refs that didn’t stop a game when he got fouled or stepped out of bounds. Anyways even without Fernando they aren’t as strong but they still are a force and can put up a good fight against MSU.

Anchor down!!! Scottie Pippen Jr. with coach Stackhouse!

Dream headline for me as Smogon’s only resident Commodore. Never been so excited for a mediocre team in a WEAK SEC.

I just wanna say fuck the NCAA trying to keep James Wiseman from playing this season. Nice to see memphis stand up for its player instead of capitulating to the whims of an overbearing big brother program that is mostly unnecessary anymore.

Maryland isn’t overrated last year we got robbed in the damn tournament by shitty refs that didn’t stop a game when he got fouled or stepped out of bounds. Anyways even without Fernando they aren’t as strong but they still are a force and can put up a good fight against MSU.
Specifically, refs couldn't tell the difference between a two-step layup and a three-step layup.

Maryland's biggest problems are its turnovers, and those kind of mistakes can suck the momentum from 15-20 point runs. Fernando was a good C/PF player, but I think the Mitchell twins could fill the same niche once they develop. I'll give more feedback once Maryland plays a competitive game (probably tonight at Rhode Island).

I'm more excited about Georgetown's rebuild in the Big East. I really like the player development Ewing has done with the current roster and recruiting (Terrence Williams). I'm looking forward to the next time Maryland and Georgetown play (one day).

Anchor down!!! Scottie Pippen Jr. with coach Stackhouse!

Dream headline for me as Smogon’s only resident Commodore. Never been so excited for a mediocre team in a WEAK SEC.
Kentucky, Florida, LSU, Auburn, and Tennessee would like to have a word with you.

Is Tennessee still good? I haven't heard them mentioned at all. Not that I don't believe it, I've just been wrapped up in all the other stories.
Tennessee lost some key players to the NBA draft, so I guess pollsters thought they would be weaker coming into the 2019-2020 season. However, they did just trash #20 Washington by 13 points, so Tennessee is still very good at basketball.

Muh bracket!! This year was going to be crazy unpredictable in the tournament with no clear frontrunner favorites. Most of the big programs have underwhelmed this season would have been a fun march madness. Alas true madness has replaced the percieved madness

I feel bad for the seniors on teams like Dayton, and SDSU. They really overachieved per expectations and most seasons Dayton and SDSU are not THIS good. Idk if they'll have another shot next year

There's talks that a number of coaches (most likely those from Blue Bloods + Turgeon) are trying to turn the game from a cancellation to a postponement. As a Maryland fan, it sucks to see seniors like Anthony Cowan, who've worked their ass off to get Maryland to the best win-loss record in the B1G, not get their chance to play in the NCAA Tournament.

It appears that the ncaa is granting seniors an additional year of eligibility, so they may get another shot if they want.
This is only for spring-season athletes. All winter-season sports have functionally finished their season bar men's and women's basketball.

how can i make it through march without lets go duke chants
You mean the "fck Dook" chants. This statement was made by Terp gang

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)