The Everything NFL Thread - 2012 Season (Up til 2013 Draft)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ancien Régime

washed gay RSE player
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Well, I am hesitant to post about this because people will think I'm a homer, but I'd like to point out that Jack Lambert could do all of those things you mentioned quite well. He was the emotional leader of the Steel Curtain defense, he rushed the passer very well, and he was good in coverage (although that's one area Ray I think is a bit better). I don't know about Dick Butkus as much because I didn't get to see as much footage of him, but he simply played in a different era where MLBs weren't expected to do the things they are now. I think another player that needs to be in this discussion is Brian Urlacher, because he's kind of been Ray Lewis' NFC counterpart for many many years (they're only a couple years apart, right?). Urlacher excels in every category as well, and is a worthy present-day comparison to Ray Lewis.
Urlacher is great, HOF worthy, but I don't think he's ever been as good as Ray Lewis. Not a slight on him, but the thing is, Urlacher hasn't really always been the best player on his own defense a lot of his prime years (Tillman was better the Super Bowl year, Tommie Harris was as impactful when he was prime and healthy, Lance Briggs was never that far behind, Peppers has been the best player since he came in). Ray Lewis was the unquestioned best player on the defense until maybe 2 years ago. Lambert, I'm not sure. I don't think he was ever the kind of sideline to sideline threat that Lewis was.

I disagree, Ray Lewis has not been the best defensive player on his team for something like 5-6 years. That is not a big deal though.

DM

Ce soir, on va danser.
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnus
Ray Lewis has been an incredible force since day one. I agree that he has been surpassed on his own defense by Ed Reed/Terrell Suggs/Haloti Ngata, but you cannot deny how impactful his presence is every game. A top 50 all-time player, for sure.

Are you talking about your fired coach or Ray Lewis?

Please take Gilbride.
Um, we already had him, no thanks. And neither, I'm talking about Ralph Wilson ceding control to Russ Brandon. That's way more important than Chan getting fired.

Andy Reid going to the Chiefs seems like a bad fit to me. He's going to waste Lamal Charles like he did with LeShawn McCoy. The Cardinals are a better fit since they don't really have a good RB and could make Kevin Kolb somewhat good again.

Eh, Reid isn't going to save either franchise, though the Chiefs to me is definitely the most raw of the deal. Sure you have your #1 pick to restart, but the rest of the team is...well bad, and much more of a rebuild than the Cardinals. Not to mention they're still clinging to a GM that should have been fired long ago, unless Reid is getting more power than him.

Unless the Chiefs somehow trade away the Number One pick for more picks or quality players then having it doesn't help them very much since there really isn't a must have player in the Draft. It's better to get more quality players than one or two excellent players.

Um, we already had him, no thanks. And neither, I'm talking about Ralph Wilson ceding control to Russ Brandon. That's way more important than Chan getting fired.
0_o yea... I agree with this..

Unless the Chiefs somehow trade away the Number One pick for more picks or quality players then having it doesn't help
them very much since there really isn't a must have player in the Draft. It's better to get more quality players than one or two
excellent players.
I like Reid now buuut it probably won't help him. While i would love to have him as a coach and i think he is a genius on the field the guy is terrible at drafting players. Assuming he had the most say in who to pick in the draft he is one of the biggest reasons the Eagles are so mediocre. His drafts have been terrible since 2005(with a few good picks here and there; a couple lucky ones too). I'm probably putting too much on him though since the Eagles front office is horrendous and has been for several years now. Again i don't know how much say he has in FA and the players on his team but at this point he is the last guy i would want running the team. Or maybe he is taking the blame for whoever was driving the car the last couple of years? In the end Reid is still a great coach but should have a GM and is clearly no Belicheat.

This is in response to the post above yours.

Yeah I do think he can coach but doesn't mean he could pick players properly which seems like NFL coaches think they can do as well. But we all know it's never a good idea of being the coach and GM at the same time. That's why I think Reid is better at Arizona where he could improve the Cardinal offense with the pieces they have and not worrying about rebuilding the team but he wants the power of GM as well which the Chiefs will probably give him.

Jamaal Charles should try to get out of KC now since he won't used effectively with Andy Reid as the head coach now. If his old buddy Tom Heckert, comes to KC as well, time to find a team that would use you properly.

After all the shit I gave Andy Dalton all season, I hope you guys can just accept that I know better than you already. 14/30 127 yards LOL, and the Texans dropped FOUR INTERCEPTABLE PASSES!!!

People who believe wide receivers win games on their own are the only ones who ever believed a shitty team like the Bengals could matter in the playoffs. The Texans had bad luck in the red zone, they had bad luck on turnovers, and they still were never really threatened in this game despite an awfully unlucky 20 yard TAINT against them. With just slightly better luck, this game ends 31-3 to 31-10. The Bengals are terrible, and frauds like them are always easiiiiiiily identifiable.

Although more than anything Marvin Lewis is a really terrible coach.

That was a rather lackluster game between Houston and Cincy. Ponder not starting isn't really going to matter since the Vikings' game plan is just run with AD.

DetroitLolcat

Maize and Blue Badge Set 2014-2017
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnus
Andy Dalton is damn overrated as a QB, but that Bengals defense is legit. Hopefully (for them) they aren't the new Fa(i)lcons, always getting bounced out of the playoffs.

Either way, predicting Green Bay rolls Minnesota unless Joe Webb has a Matt Flynn game.

I was really god damned confident in my Texans pick, but after hearing the media talk about the Bengals all week I decided to switch it at the last moment. I knew I'd made a mistake within the first few minutes of the game!

Webb gives the Vikings a better chance to win than Ponder, imo. Ponder is a bottom-5 starter in the NFL without the easy completions Harvin gives him. Webb's no better as a passer but is much better running the ball. Even if he doesn't do great on his own today, his running threat will at least help give AP a bit more room.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)